Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haven't read S*P in years and I'd forgotten how much the very first one sets the tone :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I sometimes wonder how you train for pole vaulting. Seems like something you can't meaningfully work your way up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm extremely irritated that this is basically the only time we've ever seen Ed express a sincere, spontaneous interest in physical fitness and his wife is making GBS threads all over him because she believes, simultaneously, that pole vaulting is disproportionately dangerous compared to other physical activities and also that it's a dumb sport for babies.
At this point I have to assume it's because the instructor is Russian, as has been very clearly established.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

She needs a writer. These narration boxes are annoying.
And an artist, let's be honest.

One thing I've been chewing on for a while: the bassigator is not a very good faux cryptid. They don't tend to be "two animals mashed together". Unless Rusty actually isn't into cryptids but into [/i]folksy tales[/i] like the jackalope or Jersey devil.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

:china:
Oh well good thing we're in a literal supermarket, grab a Snickers off the shelf and keep the wrapper to pay for it later.

or I dunno maybe they shoot you for that in the US. Guy's white though

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I'm genuinely unable to tell, even from context and story structure, if they're supposed to have found an actual cryptid in the boat-sized alligator, or if that's a regular alligator drawn in the regular art style.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

What an obnoxious loving prude.
Yeah and that's Beatrice's job or whatever her name is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 27, 1955)

Ah, well, it's death then.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"We have taken an oath to find her or die!"
"drat straight you have."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Why Can Not My Son Be As Motivated

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This really raises a few questions about the nature of Hobbes

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Squirrels :huh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Green Intern posted:

I've noticed that April is apparently left unsupervised a lot of the time. Maybe these things wouldn't happen if that wasn't the case.
but why do children not come out of the womb a perfect family Christmas card picture, why

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

So we established that the only thing Jules has got going over Jam is that she's not got abhorrent personal values, which I was prepared to grudgingly accept, but if she's going all in on "tracking your kids is actually super good and reasonable and healthy" I'm standing the gently caress by to flip that switch waaay over in the other direction.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Well, that's one of the less harmful outcomes. Will probably resolve itself.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Look I know Hagar's never been historically accurate and was always about the suburban American nuclear family with a viking veneer, but I feel like it used to at least pretend.

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye (Randy on call)

I like Randy and I like that he's doing Popeye but that is an S*P strip with the character designs switched out

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 24-25, 1992)

throwing a lot of shade on Calvin here for a guy who didn't want to draw his Sunday pages on a grid

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

Im absolutely not counting but is this the second period blood joke on uniform we got already?
Yeah so far the strip seems to have a "our bodily functions, right girls?" gimmick, which is exactly the kind of thing I expect soccer players to make comics about.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What's the detail

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If it's the choice between those two I'll take the spoilers every time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Yikes on that racist trope though. I honestly don't know whether I should spoiler stuff like this.
Seems to come with the territory of posting strips from 1943. I'm honestly not sure what good it would do. Sparing readers from the reminder that people in the 40s had that idea in their head?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it makes more sense to keep spoiler tags reserved for the most outrageous holy-gently caress-that's-racist material, if that, rather than as a general "better safe than sorry" catch-all measure for anything that could possibly offend. Not as a value judgment, just in practical terms: if 9 times out of 10 the tags hide nothing worse than the phrase "cannibals in Africa" then I'm likely to think oh huh, it's not so shocking what's behind the spoilers, I can have a peek pretty much every time, and then when the 10th time it's a full on golliwog that's gonna be right in my face.

e: a while ago I was at a boardgame exhibition and they had games from the time of colonialist Germany themed around travelling the world (i.e. the colonies), and they had content warnings on those too. But some were "just" colonialist in that captions referenced colonies and colonial trade and the illustrations depicted, by and large, relatively innocent-seeming common life scenes, while one was actively super racist with game events and illustrations centered around superstitious natives and their funny dances and what have you. They all had the same kind of warning on them, and I thought that was weird, that one wasn't categorized as worse than the other.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 29, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Archie wasted no time turning into golfcomic, huh.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

or just "show feelings"?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sweet Jesus, that shading is about 100x as dramatic as strictly necessary

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

extremely looking forward to the visual of dastardly black hat guy trying to run down a German shepherd in a midget car, knees all drawn up to his chest like Waluigi in Mario Kart

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

This is just the best :3:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hägar in reruns could be interesting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I always wanted to post Hagar from the beginning but could never be arsed to dig up a sorce. Read a ton of it as a kid, though, it was one of those strips that were marketed in book form on these shores, like Garfield and Peanuts.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 30-31, 1992)

Come on Calvin's mom he's handing you a way to keep him busy on a silver platter and all it'd cost you is some scrap wood.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mark Trail hot on the heels of debilitating gator disease

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

I saw in a GBS thread, of all places, that Chris Browne of Hagar the Horrible recently died. Here's nice a write-up on him. Turns out the dude kind of rocked the Hagar look
So did Dik Browne!

Matter of fact, when Dik Browne played with his kids he'd often come roaring down the stairs in a mock rage and they'd scatter going "watch out, here comes Hagar the Terrible" and that's where we got the name if not the strip altogether.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

Hagar renounces Odin and Thor to convert to Christianity, while Helga lies around all day crying and reminiscing about musicians who won't be born for another 1,000 years.
To be fair, that wouldn't even make the top twenty of Hagar Anachronisms.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So in late 1955 Hal Foster went on that long holiday he'd been putting off?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I miss the Norwegian teacher comic, that was constantly really good

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Somewhere in the past of 1940 young Chuck Schultz reads the comics and a seed is planted.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay now it's dumb.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

curtadams posted:

I'll excuse the opening text box for the pun, but how can Rivera not see what a total waste the end text box is? Or doesn't she get feedback from *somebody*?
Jules Rivera doesn't strike me as a very feedback oriented sort of person

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Well yeah dude, that's how betting works, you're certain it'll go one way

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I swear if I see one more panel that has a thought bubble of a bear and another of a tardigrade I shall write to the editor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've become somewhat enamored with Scarlet O'Hara's weird Golden Age energy, particularly the fact that she seems to be a drifter with no agenda of her own apart from accidentally getting involved in things. She might as well be a ghost apart from the 2-3 perfunctory strips per arc where she is actually visible and it's kind of neat.

e: O'Neil. Gosh, cultural priming, huh :v: