Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
So which politician does Seminole Sam represent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I quite like how relentless Scarlet O'Neil is with its story, like how old popeye seamlessly runs from one thing to another

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

That turkey had a family

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Samovar posted:

What the heck is the goat the boy in the background is referring to? Satan?

there's an element of masonic ritual that they refer to as "the goat" when around outsiders as to not let people in on what it actually is. presumably in 1923 when a lot more people were freemasons this would have been common knowledge

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

"men should communicate feelings"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

What on earth is going on here

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Murder them for us Winnie

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

probably that's the usual product that endorses it around that season, right? in the US the association is batteries

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

what was osama bin laden's fursona

tell us, holbrook

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

what is williams' preoccupation with the sister who gets married and moves down the street, anyway

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

well in comparison i figured lots of people were cowboys or worked in a factory

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

How many different sports is Scarlet going to sabotage before her run is over

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

what power does the security state hold over the new lifeform who would probably just press a button to turn the entire US government into mice if they crossed her

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

president nobruob geltoob

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

i'm sorry what's the deal with the trans turtles again? i feel like i missed something

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

weirdly, it not being a strained metaphor does make it much less uncomfortable. if anything holbrook could use more of these logical extrapolations from hellworld rather than trying to make hellworld things parallels of actual things, beastars was a fun comic

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

he's frustratedly putting up rental signage on the car because EVERYONE wants to use it

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

modern logic would say he traded it in to be able to afford the new one, but i don't know how car financing worked in 1946

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

"nope, definitely going out to be tortured with thoughts of this. sorry"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

You know, I've been thinking this for awhile, so I was kind of surprised to see the comic actually call attention to the fact that Popeye's Mom and Dad have almost identical origin stories. Except this doesn't really address why Popeye's Mom is treated like a saint while Popeye's Dad is the devil incarnate. It also kind of goes out of its way to ignore that contradiction, since once again the punchline is just Popeye's Dad is evil, as we all know.

popeye's dad threw a woman in a river for eating onions, but that's only implicitly taken into account

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

really starting to understand the finnish national stereotype of not liking small talk. the risks must be enormous

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the old ball and chain

e: this is the comic strips thread, the most boomer place on earth. surely there's no shortage of marital laments

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

korea is about to be propelled several hundred years ahead in the baseball meta

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

goatface posted:

Vehicles are always gendered. It's some sort of law.

boomer law bumping up against zoomer conceptions of things not realizing that zoomers don't know the "vehicles are gendered" cultural meme

same with naming the cat clapton, it's dissonant

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

frankly, more comics should be as insane as demons of baseball. normally you have to get a senile author like with mandrake or apartment 3G to go this hard, but a lot of these annoying storylines would be much improved by the sudden twist that one of the characters was hallucinating another as someone else all along

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Neophyte posted:

Ok so if like me you were wondering what a "jerky track" was a brief google leads me to think it probably was a track which had water pans, or troughs, in it so that early steam engines that needed to rewater could do so without stopping.

Supposedly this lead to the term "jerkwater town", a town so dinky you didn't bother stopping the train there. Maybe. The more common explanation you'll see for the term is that engineers would literally "jerk" water in buckets up from a railside creek to refill their tank, or that the "jerk" was from having to pull down the spout of a railside water tower, and places where you had to do this were places without a real train station - hence "jerkwater town". I don't know, pick whichever one appeals to you.

Welp, that's my jerk story!

fascinating, but what's the joke in the comic

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

i think the one thing that gets me when i catch a glimpse of luann is that i have never seen a human being under 50 call someone "shoog" let alone a college freshman

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

oh no archie finally printed a racist one

just popeye holding out on the old-timey comics front

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Comic Strips 2023: HAMBOLI! HAMBOLI! HAMBOLI!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the expression is "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down" but holbrook remembered it as a screw, and also misremembered it as the positive version, when hammering down is a bad thing. the positive version is "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also anti-German which commits the unforgivable sin of rhyming "swagger" with "lager."

it was the done thing even somewhere into the 20th century to heavily anglicize loanwords when speaking "properly." the thing always cited to me is saying don quixote like donald quicksit

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

what's the deal with the newspaper guy's face anyway. why does he have several times bigger eyes than everyone else. it's always disconcerting

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Some things are constant no matter what. Val bonding with someone he was at odds with, over violence with a third party, is one such staple.

modern-day valiant is the example of how to pick up a zombie strip and run with it. just as good as the old ones

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

Gotta show somehow that her lovely teen talks like a dumb kid, even though they would be pronounced the same so you wouldn't really be able to tell...

But why don't people get mad when Out Our Way does it? Though I suppose I've also been interpreting this same thing in OOW as all the people that don't use "hafta" enunciating very properly and sounding all mid-atlantic because it's old timey.

then again FOOB itself is old enough to HAVE cultural memories of that sort of thing right

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Author intent. When JR writes dialogue it's how the character talks. When Foob writes dialogue it's to let you know that these drat kids are idiots.

see this is what i was thinking, but then I started doubting and thinking "well what if Sister does just talk like Brother but he uses the eye dialect with Brother to emphasize how he's a messy kid"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

every day i wake up and look forward to the new elaborate way scarlet gets knocked out

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

lmao

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

but why are they off limits? if you can just grab someone in the street and chow down, what's stopping the kids? is this another arcane detail of holbrook lore that i will regret asking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

While “japan attacked the US and germany didn’t” and “Williams met a lot of Germans in the machine shop but few Japanese, and even if he did he would likely still interpret them like how he interpreted Ick” are both factors but idk if it’s productive to say which is MORE a factor