Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (August 5, 1939)

One of my favorite little things in old Popeye is when a character will propose or explain something that's inherently goofy and another character will just respond "yes" because it makes perfect sense in context and to them, and the fact that both lines are unpunctuated really sells how mundane and immediately understood whatever's going on is to the characters involved. I love it (and, as an additional bonus, no one sounds like a snarkily cynical Gen Xer!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

the bus

I own the bus and the bus 2 and will, with time, post it all. It's been, uh, three years? Since it last graced the thread.

oh hell yes

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Tree loving Sucks As A Character And Idea, There I Said It.

"Okay, I am now thinking of it as that, though it's unclear why [unspecified character, perhaps Tree itself] needs to explain that part to me, since I'm a herbivore myself. Followup question: why do you need this, since you two are insectivores? Second followup: why do you need a gravy faucet in your bathroom? One more: is it normal to drink your sentient house's blood?"

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Man I missed the Creeps. Thank you for posting!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Zereth posted:

The bread isn't fully separated into upper and lower parts in a hoagie or sub but I think you're missing the actual joke: subdivision

:doh: A hyphen would've done wonders here.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Legends in the Heights

"Second question: you claim that I made your room a mess, but we are clearly in a featureless void. Is the gradient supposed to be the other way around?"

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

This strip remains the best.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Kids, kids, kids--this is Heart of the City! You all look weird.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

At first I thought that Milholland's Popeye was just ok. Not great, but fine. But as it's gone on I've come around to the opinion that I loving hate it.

THANK you

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Cool, hopefully this is the authors admission that maybe we're not going to get any more Therapy cartoons about Popeye.

That would require Milholland to still be capable of writing something other than "identically-voiced characters snarking at each other about personal problems"

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Strontium posted:

Legend of Bill get's spoiler'd for blood and violence

"Graaaah," Bill yelled, pausing his forward charge such that his feet and hand were conveniently behind things in the foreground and twisting his axe 90 degrees so the artist didn't have to think about how to draw it edge-on. "Aaaaahhh," he continued.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate

Can you just retake your class picture another day or submit your own after the fact? I don't have kids but I feel like this is a thing that happens.

Glad they eventually told us what was supposed to be happening, because the art was sure doing a terrible job of showing it.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

special guest writer Tom Batiuk

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City suddenly realized they do not know how to draw a volleyball game.

They barely know how to draw an adult, given that Kat's mom consistently appears to be about 14.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Mother loving laser targeted at me.

edit: I guess this might be a reference to the book, which, yes, I did read a lot as a young teenager. I think it's funnier suggesting Hillary throw a 1998 PC CD-ROM game at Ted though.

:ssh: the most recent Rainbow Six game came out in 2022

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Love the punchline on this one. Very Achewood.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Hippocrass posted:

How does and insectivore manage to go several years without realizing it's an insectivore.

Also: A rabbit, who is cosplaying as a mouse and married to a wolf, has a skunk for a daughter.

gently caress you Holbrook.

Still gets me that Lindesfarne flies by holding onto whatshisface's wingtip, instead of any of the nearly infinite number of places that might theoretically actually work. Really abusing the static nature of the cartoon medium there buddy!!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Nah, if I put an R sound at the end of "layer" (and "swear" and "prayer") they still don't come close to rhyming. Different number of syllables, different vowel sounds.

https://forvo.com/word/layer/
https://forvo.com/word/prayer/

Listen to the American accent pronunciations. In the song, Jon Bon Jovi extends the pronunciation of "there" to two syllables ("theh-hair") and flattens the Y in "prayer" to the same sort of H sound, similar to how the first American accent voice on the Forvo page pronounces it.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Either Boyce is having a stroke or I am.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

at least more characters are appearing.

No, more character models are appearing. They're all just different skins on the same annoying Something Positive voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Thanks everyone for another year of great posts! Nthing the love for new Flash Gordon, Wallace continues to be the best, glad I've been able to develop a new appreciation for Arlo and Janis. As always, I'm looking forward to complaining more about Luann in the new year.