Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mercury Hat posted:

I'm glad this got posted in the new thread because I'm dying to get an explanation for what Nancy's done to that toothpaste tube. Was this a common thing to have happen or what :psyduck: .

Toothpaste use to come in much more metallic tubes and hole would develop if you didn’t roll it from the bottom first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Found a collection of Footrot Flats at my local used book store!
Very excited to have my very own paper copy of sheep, bull and goat balls on parade!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

EasyEW posted:

[
Little Lefty (October 25-27, 1937)

Hey look another jughead hat.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Alhazred posted:

Storefri

Possibly nws

This has been my favorite Scandinavian series so far.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice set up. I laughed. Internally. Not out loud, but i thought it was funny.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

what an odd use of the term screaming meemies. It's certainly from GI slang of WW2 referring to the Nebelwerfer rockets. Made a huge racket, considered very disturbing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Haifisch posted:

I'm not entirely sure about Nancy. Maybe a joke about it being blown up by sewer gas/someone down in the sewer? :shrug:

BB I'm pretty sure is just a 'they thought they'd be getting off easy while Sarge was at training, but instead they get a substitute sergeant who's a giant presumably-nasty caveman!' joke.

He’s got more rank than their sarge and service strips showing he’s very very senior.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The way he draws sheep and emotions of the farmer is just heartbreaking.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Im absolutely not counting but is this the second period blood joke on uniform we got already?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

Beetle Bailey made me think of something I don't know about the Army. It uses civilian employees sometimes right? Is Miss Buxley never seen in uniform A) because it wouldn't be sexy B) because she's a civilian employee or C) both?

It’s pretty common for commands to have both a civilian and military employee in the woman’s roll of this comic strip.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Selachian posted:

Pogo 1/26-28/50

The dog is quoting a variation of an old nursery rhyme.

Archie 6/3-5/46

"T.L." was a phrase George Burns and Gracie Allen often used on their radio show -- but none of the sources I can find agree on what it stood for. One source suggests "tough luck," which fits how Archie is using it here.

Never understood why Veronica and Betty hang out if Archie is always trying to go after Veronica.
Also does Betty have awful foot odor or halitosis? Or just a case of you only want what you can’t have?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Single Sphink posted:

Hey, that's literally where Etrigan came from.

Dang you I thought the same.

So cool to see stuff like this.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What, in your brain?
Y’all are perfect for each other then.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Notable because I laughed. Usually it's a hate read.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

It does seem like they've been updating his parents' cultural references somewhat more recently, but that may just be in my head. But even in 2014 that was a dated reference for people in roughly their mid-40s.

He’s actually named after their stillborn from Connie’s hard drug and alcohol usage while pregnant at the concert.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CommonShore posted:

I suspect the boys are making a comic

Ditto.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

davidspackage posted:

Next strip, Mary is on the phone: "back it off Wilbur, we're coming on too strong. Don't worry, I'm working on her, we'll get you back together."

Prediction is he was actually hanging out around the yoga studio waiting for his current lady friend to get out of class. He never got a chance to explain!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This got me. lol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

readingatwork posted:

I'm *really* not sure how I feel about this but I trust Tauhid enough to roll with it for now. At the very least it opens the door to some potentially cool stuff.

I dig it. No need to be a Calvin clone but with two boys. This opens up a lot of stuff.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hempuli posted:

B. Virtanen

Virtanen used a more specific word of his wife, "pirttihirmu", effectively meaning "spouse who's overly strict about things around the household and bosses their partner around", but I couldn't think of a suitable English equivalent word.

Shrew?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

davidspackage posted:

I am slightly uncomfortable with the strange men repeatedly sequestering themselves with a little girl.

No. Not at all. If they had just made a lemonade booth it would be a lot less weird.
Plenty of perverts in the military just like civilian society.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hippocrass posted:

Fender means pretty much the same thing in English, mostly applied to automobiles.
The guitar is named after Leo Fender who designed the Fender Stratocaster guitar.

It means exactly the same in English. All boats have at least a few to keep from smacking a dock too hard at rest or while docking.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lol

yeah i'm digging his stuff.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

Brutal.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Selachian posted:

Archie 11/7-9/46

Giiiiirl get his rear end to the doctors. Also lol, hot.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, after all, part of the premise is that Archie is dumb.

You never want what is easy at that age.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lamps.

To light up the balls of justice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Professor Wayne posted:

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

If only there was some sort of pronoun for an inanimate object with no biological function. gently caress it. Guess we’ll never know.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hostile V posted:

Kevin and Kell

Goddamn it the diploma sheep jokes made me laugh.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

Apparently, it was A Thing to go back to high school after graduating, to fill in some educational gaps. "P.G." students.

https://www.privateschoolreview.com/blog/the-pg-year

... So community college?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Got real laugh at this one.

Also Archie's "tight as a sailor's britches".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Now it's this kid's fault that the basement is flooded? gently caress you, lady.

I think either order works for that Wallace strip, but I like Amelia throwing the carrot after she was yelled at.

Kids are pieces of poo poo. My proof is being a kid at some point and having kids. If it wasn’t his fault this time I’m sure he will do something stupid that he wasn’t caught for yet or in the near future.
Why yes, I live by myself and never get visitors. How did you know?

In the Wallace it’s using the old trope of the teacher having a 6th sense about trouble makers or eyes on the back of her head.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Why would a college kid need help with their libido. At that age I’d gently caress a coke machine if it had a wig on.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

EasyEW posted:

I'd go into it a bit more, but we're overdue finding out how Sally Forth pissed off her mother this time.

And your children don’t deserve to be saddled with you. Just dump her off at the nearest park with her luggage. Sorry your poor life planning made your final days homeless.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

EasyEW posted:

You're lucky it's been raining all day. :tipshat:

Or the "half-assed attempt at authenticity" version:

You are the best of us.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My wife was holding my daughter on her hip and she walked by the drying rack. The little booger managed to grab a steak knife by the handle and started swinging it around like she was Danny Triejo. I manage to catch her arm and remove the wife before she slashed my wife's face.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

Don't you make new holes when you have to tighten your belt?

Or extend.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean I guess, every belt I ever owned had holes more or less right up to the end though. I'm gonna chalk it down to the 40s were different and the belts had holes towards the middle.

It’s a visual gag.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

readingatwork posted:

I had a friend who's mom would absolutely let her do that as long as she didn't abuse the privilege and honestly it seems like a pretty good policy. Adults do it all the time to get a breather from work so I don't see the issue.

What if your kids are home schooled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

I know the English expression is "stinking rich", but in Finnish we have an expression, "upporikas", that translates as "sunken rich", basically. Nobody really knows where it came from, but we have a ton of similar nonsensical word combinations (and no I am not just speaking of the entire Finnish dictionary!) of similar sounding words, where they are kind of stronger or more emphatic versions. When you want to emphasize that something is VERY new, instead of saying it is "uusi", new, you can say it's "upouusi".

It's kinda funny actually, that these kinds of expressions are our version of English speaking people trying to claim that "poo poo" is actually an acronym for Ship High In Transit and came about because ships stuck in anchor ("High in Transit") would start to smell bad because bloo bloo bloo. People are trying to come up with rational explanations for these terms, while actual linguists agree that they're either just pleasant sounding nonsensical combinations that are fun to say, or versions of words from old forgotten dialects that have morphed over the years into their current forms.

In my past readings of historical events I recall at least one merchant trying to transfer from small boat to a larger boat and falling between and immediately sinking due to the amount of gold he had deposited on his person.