Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ground floor with my comics av back

I got terminally behind last year but I'm here from the start this year - perhaps I shall repost The Bus and The Creeps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I forgot what an S-tier cartoonist Walt Kelly was. I'm one of those who has trouble sometimes parsing the way the characters talk and the nature of the jokes, but there is no doubting the incredible illustration.

the bus

I own the bus and the bus 2 and will, with time, post it all. It's been, uh, three years? Since it last graced the thread.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

I love The Bus, but could you please white-balance or use the automatic contrast leveling on your scans before posting? Here's a comparison image of how it looks with that step applied. It may not look like a big change, but for folks with bad eyes like me, it really makes a difference.

Sure thing, this will be a chance for me to learn something at all about image editing. When I reach the bus 2 I'll try and create new, better scans also to replace the phone-camera images I uploaded last go round.

Here's the first one. How's this look to you?

the bus

It's still not so sharp as it is in my book...I might need to learn how to scan.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 5, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Samovar, do you have an album of all the Blueberrys you've posted over time? I don't want to have to comb old threads 4 ur posts

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
^part of what makes Footrot Flats an A-rank comic to me is the absolutely honest, no-punches-pulled approach to farming life

the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Beetle Bailey made me think of something I don't know about the Army. It uses civilian employees sometimes right? Is Miss Buxley never seen in uniform A) because it wouldn't be sexy B) because she's a civilian employee or C) both?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jeremy's action figure reminds me of Ookla the Mok.

Not two comics here, just one scanned as two images because the original format was different, I believe.

the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

This one kills me every time.

the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hello,

ANSU is good. I loved the one with the fisherman unraveling himself.

Tegne Hanne is good. I loved the one with the poop in the spa joke.

I have never read a Holbrook comic and I never will no matter how many times you gluttons for punishment post that trash.

the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
When does Archie pivot to pivoting between Betty and Veronica? That 50s parody strip was mocking him for having a hard time choosing (because it called them identical) but in this early stuff he almost totally disregards Betty.

the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm just saying the Archie products I knew about were decades of "Betty or Veronica? They're both so swell!" and the comic strip here is "Betty gtfo."

the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like Demons of Baseball, but I don't really understand more than the broad strokes.

the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I tell you what, folks - scram gravy ain't wavey!

the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there a meaning behind "1506 Nix Nix?"

the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don't miss "l'expresso" on The Bus mug either.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Arn 'n' Garm, Arn 'n' Garm

the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
get you a girl who'll be blown up by a bottle of nitro for you

the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dolly nooooo I thought the guy just captured her too

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also, I completely forgot to chime in on the Crabgrass X-Men homage debate, but "Red-Eye: what happens when pinkeye goes untreated!" was funny.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

EasyEW posted:

The whole "It's printed! How can it be a lie?" exchange in the first strip is painfully ironic in retrospect, since the Daily Worker had dedicated multiple pages to printing the full confessions from the Stalinist show trials in each of these recent issues...which were not only attended by Roosevelt's ambassador to the USSR, Joseph E. Davies, but earned his enthusiastic approval. And then in 1943 Warner Bros. turned Davies' book into Mission to Moscow, a piece of pro-Stalin wartime propaganda that at least one modern critic says "now seems an evil distortion, as if it were produced by Stalin himself", and that its favorable, approving depiction of the show trials is where "the film goes completely insane".

Grotesque exaggerations for the war effort were expected in WW2 popular entertainment, but it goes without saying that everyone involved with Mission To Moscow had to answer for the film repeatedly once the Cold War kicked in. Often under oath.

Is there something in the strips that makes this actually relevant to the thread? Smug support for McCarthyism is some poo poo.

the bus originally ran in Heavy Metal from 1979-1985, which is painfully ironic in retrospect, because heavy metal music is well-known for turning kids into disrespectful devil worshippers who would not be interested in commuting to a job on a bus instead of taking drugs.

the bus