Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

someone awful. posted:

ah, that new-thread smell...

Pardon me, it must've been that bean burrito.

Anyway, :siren: WELCOME BACK! :siren: Here is your sweet, delicious content.

(Esplanade)

Last year my cartoon posting payload became loaded enough that I split it down the middle for convenience. This is the night deposit, and...umm...I didn't expect this one to go first. But there you are, and here we are.

Our Boarding House was created for the Newspaper Enterprise Association by Gene Ahern. It debuted in the fall of 1921, about a half a year before thread favorite Out Our Way, and if you go through as many old comics pages as I do (including the one I grew up with, because OBH managed to run all the way until 1984), you'll often find Out Our Way and Our Boarding House sitting side by side like conjoined twins.

At the outset, Ahern was drawing from his experiences as a boarder, but it didn't take long for the strip to catch on in such a big way that King Features poached him from NEA in 1936 at double his old salary to draw an OBH knockoff. The reason was that in the process of finessing his initial premise, Ahern managed to create one of the most indelible characters of the between-the-wars comics page. As we pick up our history, Major Amos Hoople is still part of an ensemble cast, but he's rapidly developing into the breakout character. (April 16-18, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (Fontaine Fox): Our world-famous, postage-stamp-ready trolley has made it to mid-1920, and that means in addition to Katrinka, Tomboy Taylor and the lot, the Prohibition jokes will continue for the foreseeable future. (June 21-23, 1920)

Dok's Dippy Duck (John Ross "Dok" Hager) is up to 1914, with a Seattle mayoral election and American intervention in Mexico, and that last one in particular went about as well as interactions with non-Anglo Americans usually go in 1914 cartoons (and just as a reminder, those types of content issues are usually hidden behind a spoiler curtain. The vintage strips are usually posted "warts and all" for historical purposes, but you deserve a fighting chance.). But it still comes back to that duck and that corner...eventually. Every game of tag has to have a home base, y'know. (July 6, 1914)

Little Lefty (Maurice del Bourgo (d/b/a "del")) would make a good centerpiece in a hypothetical People's History of the United States Cartooning Industry anthology. It was published in The Daily Worker, the literal mouthpiece of the United States Communist Party back when Trotsky and Stalin were still alive to antagonize each other. The Worker's circulation never got higher than 35,000 a copy, but that Lefty even exists at all shows a Yankee Red interest in counterprogramming the mega-capitalist bootstrap narratives of Harold Gray's Orphan Annie and the industry standard of racial depictions. Or to spin a Phil Ochs quote, to turn Elvis Presley into Che Guevara.

Lefty obviously didn't do that. But from the accumulated evidence, it wasn't from lack of creative effort. (October 18-20, 1937)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Happy New Year!

(Fred G. Cooper)

It's also Public Domain Day, and our honor year under the US laws is 1927. The main one off the list of comics that caught my attention was the final installment of a thread favorite, A.D. Condo's "The Outbursts of Everett True", which means the complete run is free and clear for republishing and remixing.

1927 was also the debut year of Little Annie Rooney, which was created by Ed Verdier for King Features as a knock-off of Harold Gray's "Little Orphan Annie", but this other Annie had a different enough approach that she ran through the mid-60s.

Anyway, HEY, LOOK! COMICS!

The OP said your grandma might like Mutts (Patrick MacManus). Well here, lemme give you some ribbon candy.

Sally Forth (Francesco Marciuliano (writer), Jim Keefe (art)) got a new job in '22, one that her former friend Alice got her (and very quickly lost her own). Also, Hillary had a mood heading into Halloween this year, Ted's mom has a new boyfriend, and we just got through leaving his childhood home for the last time. The Forths had a lot going on.

Pearls Before Swine was parked here at the beginning of the last thread, but every third strip was about ARGH SOCIAL MEDIA AND THIS IS WHY WE ARE THE WAY WE ARE NOW! and I just couldn't anymore. So moving on....

Skippy (Percy Crosby, Mon-Fri): In the historical timeline, Skippy kept chugging reliably along, like Skippy does. In my timeline, I finally got around to reading Jerry Robinson's Skippy and Percy Crosby, a slim-but-interesting biography/strip anthology from the 1970s. It's still a good solid introduction, but it's loaded with enough details of Crosby's final years in the mental ward of Kings Park Veterans' Hospital to cast a shadow over the rest of your day, so be warned.

I also found out in Robinson's book that Crosby had a cup of coffee with a New York Communist newspaper (not the Daily Worker) in his early career and did some interesting editorial cartooning for them, but when he was in a financial pinch over back pay, he went to management with the revelation that he was one of the oppressed masses and what does that make you, Mr. Editor? They settled up with him and promptly fired him. That's how capitalism happens, comrades.

Peanuts (Charles M. Schulz): We're coming into the bicentennial year with the 50,000 watt blowtorch of 20th century newspaper cartooning. 1975 introduced Snoopy's brother Spike, the continuing adventures of Joe Schlabotnik, and a weird love triangle between Linus, Snoopy and a farm girl. Those things'll happen. (January 4, 1976)

And now, from "The Finger On The Monkey's Paw Curls" department:

It was announced just before Thanksgiving 2022 that Funky Winkerbean was closing shop after 50 years of whatever the hell all that was. Even before we knew, it was a roller-coaster ride through the strip's anniversary year, at least partially because the big first story line was Marianne Winters winning the goddamn Oscar for playing Saint Lisa of Cancerwife in a movie that we had been assured vanished without a trace. From there, we got what in retrospect was some serious "final season" energy, with a marriage of two next-generation characters we've barely seen in years, one final class reunion, the closure of Montoni's, the recycling of a murder weapon into a toy (because SYMBOLISM!), and (in the stupidest twist of them all) the literal last-minute addition of a time-travelling janitor who claimed he'd been manipulating the timeline with the Eliminator helmet. I can't say I won't miss it, but I also can't say I'm not relieved to say goodbye to all of that.

Unfortunately, we were also informed that Crankshaft (Tom Batiuk (writer), Dan Davis (art)) would absorb the Funky cast, which is a promise that started feeling like a threat once we entered the fourth quarter.

What can you say about the version of Mutt and Jeff (Bud Fisher (but really Al Smith and an army of anonymous drones), Mon-Sat) that's currently being served up through official channels? Trying to construct a throughline out of a collection of randomly posted gag-a-day strips from multiple decades is a doorway to madness. It's the ultimate zombie strip. It kept showing up for generations...until the day in 1983 that it didn't. But a few of you are glad to see it here, and that's good enough for our purposes.

Rip Haywire (Dan Thompson) is still a parody of the type of action strip that only people like us seem to read the originals of, at least in the home market. Sundays are currently reprints of The Curse of Tangaroa! graphic novel, which was an excuse to :justpost: seven days a week.

We have multiple paths to Popeye now. The mothership is still Thimble Theater, as of 1939 under the stewardship of Doc Winner (art) and Tom Sims (story) after Elzie Segar died in '38. Winner didn't stick with the strip for the long haul, and maybe that's for the best considering he couldn't draw a Jeep to save his life. (Mon-Sat)

Meanwhile, 2022 was the year Something Positive creator Randy Milholland passed the audition and took over the Sunday Popeye strip upon Hy Eisman's retirement. The results have been described as "Something Positive with Popeye characters", but Milholland's been turning in a nice hangout strip that somehow manages to infuriate certain types of fans.

Over the summer the syndicate added Olive & Popeye to the line up, which is split between Shadia Amin doing Olive-centric material on Tuesdays and Randy doing more Popeye stuff on Thursdays. It's a weird enough schedule that people are starting to wonder if King Features is playing a long game here.

And last but never least, 2023 will be my tenth year posting Out Our Way (J.R. Williams, Mon-Sat). We're up to mid-1940, and one or two of you were wondering out loud what effect the Great War sequel nobody asked for would have on the thread's favorite single-panel wonder. Sure enough, events in Europe are starting to seep in around the edges.

We left 1939 on an almost symbolic note, with Goldie grabbing a piece of the past while it was still there.

We opened 1940 with Goldie coming this close to getting eaten alive by a money scheme when he tried to leverage that piece of the past for profit. So it goes.

Also, I did a few of these last year. Love takes many forms.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 8, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I love the extra-sour early Jughead. Every look screams "What the hell is it now?"

It's A Sketchy Life for December 30, 1926! Here's where I flip through the pages of one of the long-running humor magazines from a period when magazine cartoonists were the Rolls-Royces of ink-slingers. Many of these folks crossed over to newspapers. A few of them traded up to regular slots with the New Yorker. Every once in awhile, Percy Crosby or Milt Gross show up.

And sometimes you just can't decipher the signatures, like...um...Farrar? (timg'd for unseemly tallness)

Don Herold:

Russell Patterson:

John Held Jr.:

Storm (another I-dunno, spoilered for potential NSFW):

And a Gluyas Williams spread that's busy enough that I couldn't shrink it with a clean conscience:

(You've already seen the cover.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 2, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 20, 1935)

Peanuts (January 1, 1976)

This space feels...empty. It feels doubly empty because the Funky Winkerbean page was deleted from Comics Kingdom at some point yesterday. Good excuse for an audition. (flips through what's being offered on the big two websites)

Miss Peach (for awhile Ms. Peach) was launched in 1959 by Mell Lazarus, who you might remember as the creator of Momma, a strip that ran long enough that it was part of the early Comics Curmudgeon rotation. His big innovation was the "flounder face" style of head drawing, with both eyes on the side of the nose facing the reader. The strip is set at the Kelly School (named for Walt), and the pupils are (and, unlike Peanuts, always were- giant-headed wisecracking imps. Considering how many of you feel about mid-period Charlie Brown, this may not go over well. (June 19, 1989, because this is the period the rerun machine decided to drop us into.)

Crankshaft has also been erased from Comics Kingdom, which has to be embarrassing, seeing as how Ed and his son-in-law showed up for work anyway.

(e: because Crankshaft changed syndicates and main websites, which was announced a long time ago, but I was too distracted by the collapse of the Funkyverse to notice.)

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 3, 1939)

Out Our Way (September 19-21, 1940; spoilered for the usual reasons, and the first reminder of the new year that if a non-Anglo/Western European was looking for fair-minded media representation at the turn of the 1940s, they sure as hell weren't going to get it in the comics section of a mainstream American newspaper.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 2, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House, in which the baser urges thwart a grand master. (April 19-21, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (June 24-26, 1920; spoiler for bad art design choices on an African-American background character)

Dok's Dippy Descendants (July 7, 1914)

Little Lefty (October 21-23, 1937)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 3, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 21, 1935)

Miss Peach (June 20, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 4, 1939)

Olive & Popeye (Shadia's day on)

Out Our Way (September 23-25, 1940)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 3, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 22, 1935)

Peanuts (January 3, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 21, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 5, 1939)

Out Our Way (September 26-28, 1939)

It's interesting that Williams has managed to stick with the stouter version of Wes for a year and a half so far.

Anyway...um...yeaaaaaaaaah...

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 4, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House (April 23-25, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (June 28-30, 1920)

Dok's "Culture With A Capital K" Duck (July 8, 1914; timg'd because I thought we'd gotten rid of that guy...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti9lpKHYzJQ

Little Lefty (October 25-27, 1937)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

As long as we're getting acquainted with Miss Peach, here's a Canadian-produced puppet show version. With children's media, you always find someone who remembers a show fondly, but this is the first one I've seen where those fond memories are because their family owned it on CED discs. Martin Short's in the voice cast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSWmTBTcK8

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 23, 1935)

Peanuts (January 8, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 22, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 7, 1939)

Out Our Way (September 30-October 2, 1940)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House (April 26-28, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (July 1-3, 1920)

Dok's Dippy Fight Night (July 9, 1914)

Little Lefty (October 28-30, 1937)

If there was still any lingering doubt that "del" wasn't Louis Ferstadt, here's the man himself. Can't get more fingerprinty than that.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Vargo posted:

Curt-hahahahaha what the gently caress

A variation on this year's theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8SY2Bph9zA

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 25, 1935)

Peanuts (January 9, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 23, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 8, 1939)

Olive & Popeye didn't post yesterday. If it pops up today, I'll let you know.

Out Our Way (October 3-5, 1940)

The Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 was instituted on September 16th. It was the first peacetime draft in American history, because the government was coming to terms with the growing concern that it probably wouldn't be peacetime for much longer.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 6, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm still not a fan of OOW, no offense to those who love it. I still find it fairly inscrutable at times and even at its "best" it just feels like old timey Family Circus where it isn't actually funny, just meant to invoke feelings of nostalgia or twee.

On the other hand, I have grown to absolutely love OBH. I don't know if the Major is particularly responsible for it, but he at least helped. If this is the case, I guess I understand why he became the strip's breakout character.

I can at least understand where you're coming from on OOW, even if I'm obviously in another camp. The writeups usually describe it as the first "stick it on the fridge" strip, and I'm not convinced that would've been everybody's thing even back then. :shrug:

But as long as Family Circus came up, I ran across this one last year and it felt...eerily familiar.

(School Days (Clare Victor "Dwig" Dwiggins), November 19, 1919)

My Lovely Horse posted:

One thing I've been chewing on for a while: the bassigator is not a very good faux cryptid. They don't tend to be "two animals mashed together". Unless Rusty actually isn't into cryptids but into folksy tales like the jackalope or Jersey devil.

The basselope got to Rusty first.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts: In case you missed yesterday, Charlie Brown and Sally's school collapsed overnight due to a case of midcentury ennui. (January 10, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 24, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 9, 1939)

Just in time for the weekend, here's Thursday's Olive & Popeye! (Randy's shift)

Out Our Way (October 7-9, 1940)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Back in the wayback (the 1970s) he was a girl hater. I think there was a big Ethel that was always chasing him.

Apparently they've dialed Ethel's negative character extremes back quite a bit in recent decades, but um...she's also gone through some design changes.

That last one's a miniseries, and on the one hand, it takes a serious approach to the number being a high school crowd's designated punchline would do on you in the long term. On the other hand...well, there is such a thing as overcorrecting.

Our Boarding House (April 30-May 2, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (July 5-7, 1920)

TOMBOY TAYLOR -- Using a bucket of bran to lead the cow onward, Tomboy Taylor carries out her threat to wreck the club-house after the members had black balled her just because she was girl.

PATHETIC FIGURES -- The man who heard his wife coming down the hall just as he had finally succeeded in closing and strapping the big trunk.

Dok's "Kind of Forgot the Whole 'Ducks Can Fly' Bit" Duck (July 10, 1914)

Little Lefty, in which we're suddenly getting the Sunday Worker again. (October 31-November 3, 1937)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 8, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth on the everyday hubris of complacency.

Peanuts (January 11, 1976)

:siren:TODAY'S CRANKSHAFT IS MISSING. HOW WILL WE EVER SURVIVE?:siren:

Oh, that's right...welcome to Crankshaft Crankback (October 22, 1987)

Popeye

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 8, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

It's A Sketchy Life for January 6, 1927. We're coming in strong to the age of the talkies with an issue so full of treats I was tempted to do this one in two loads. First, an amazing Will Rannells cover.

John Held Jr.:

Russell Patterson:

LJ Holton:

Fred Cooper goes back to the menagerie:

Alice Harvey:

Gluyas Williams:

And two from Ned Hilton:

A little more than usual. You have my word I'll probably slack off again next week.

(e: cos I had second thoughts on one of these)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 9, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 26, 1935)

Peanuts (January 12, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 26, 1989)

Crankshaft

Oh look, Ed blue himself. :rimshot:

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 10, 1939)

The spirit of '40 catches up enough with Out Our Way today that I want to go back to '38. :smith: (October 10-12, 1940)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 9, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Weembles posted:

It's handling WWII better than Toonerville handled WWI. Remember its strange pro-german phase that turned into a massive wave of jingoism once the US came in on the side of the allies?

Part of that might have to do with a generation of assimilation of that particular wave of European immigrants, but that might not hold out forever once Americans start paying attention to Asia, seeing as how that's how it worked in the wider culture. On the real world timeline, the Empire of Japan had just signed the Tripartite Pact with fascist Italy and the Nazis at the end of September, and up to this point the Pacific war hadn't dominated the front pages of the papers I pull from the way the Blitzkrieg and the Battle of Britain did.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 27, 1935)

Peanuts (January 13, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 27, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, featuring the end of the engagement. (August 11, 1939)

Out Our Way (October 14-16, 1940)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

ellie the beep posted:

thank you! i was stitching it together letter by letter because i dont know how fonts work in gimp 😅

only now im noticing that jr williams had a common line system for his dialogue so i hosed up my overall text alignment but uuuugh that was already so much effort

That's the type of thing I used to do until I just chickened out and started using one or two all-purpose fonts for everything, but I appreciate your attention to detail.

Anyway, I knew I was forgetting something... Olive & Popeye (Shadia's shift)

Our Boarding House (May 3-5, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (July 8-10, 1920, with translations for the cursive impaired, because this is going to be a regular thing for a bit.)

WHILE HIS WIFE WAS AWAY ON A SHORT TRIP, Jones found that washing a baby in a bath tub was a though job so he adopted a new method.

THE FOLKS NEVER REALIZED WHAT A CRACK PITCHER THEY HAD IN THE FAMILY--until the day they were all ready to go away for the summer and their departure had to be postponed.

THE EXPERT POLO PLAYER TAKES UP GOLF--and discovers that the general results from the tee and through the fairway are much better when he drives the ball along in this manner.

Dok's "Time Trials For The Wacky Races" Duck (July 11, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 4-6, 1937, and fooey, another skipped Sunday.)

Guest appearance by another long-time fellow traveler.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 28, 1935)

Peanuts (January 14, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 28, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 12, 1939)

Out Our Way (October 17-19, 1940)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House (May 7-9, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (July 12-14, 1920)

It's been a stretch since we've had a Toonerville bathing beauty...

Dok's "Spruce Goose" Duck (July 12, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 8-10, 1937)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 12, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 1, 1935)

Peanuts (January 9, 1970)

We jumped tracks in the middle of a storyline, and I suspect the Eternal Rerun Machine did that on purpose. (January 15, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 29, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater begins a new story! (August 14, 1939)

This is the last story that Doc Winner took part in, although we've got awhile before we have to deal with another art transition.

Olive & Popeye (Randy's shift)

Out Our Way (October 21-23, 1940)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House (May 10-12, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (July 15-17, 1920)

Interesting (to me) story: every source I have lost the same chunk of that final D in "forced" except one paper that I suspect has someone else redrawing the borders to fit their page layout. So we've decided the defective one is the original, because if anyone's going to adulterate the good around here, you're looking at him.

Dok's "Remembers He Can Fly When Considering The Alternative" Duck (July 13, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 11-13, 1937)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Ralph Crammed In posted:

It's been probably six years since I been in the newspaper comic thread since they moved it outta wherever it was and I remembered it still existed. Glad to see that Computoon still exists and is still as inscrutable as ever.

Kennel posted:

:ssh: more like 13+ years if you dropped around GBS -> BSS move.

They had to make GBS safe for...um...

(looks at GBS for the first time in a while)

...well, whatever the hell that is.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 2, 1935)

Peanuts (January 16, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 30, 1989)

Crankshaft

Am I imagining things, or does the color palate not pop quite as much as it did at CK? Not that that isn't closer to proper school bus yellow, but still...

Mutt and Jeff

This gets waved through and they didn't let Sally talk about architectural suicide yesterday. Go figure.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 15, 1939)

Out Our Way, in which the "prelude to war" material just keeps on coming. (October 24-26, 1940)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Esplanade posted:

I like the little detail of Jeff (or is that Mutt?) plugging his ear. Don't want to damage your hearing while you're killing yourself!

Mutt's the tall one. Jeff's the top hat one that's disconnected from reality.

Tonight, the smartasses from Our Boarding House look out for their own...but only when an outsider stages an assault. (May 14-16, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (July 19-21, 1920)

Dok's "Crashed Into The Tower, Killing Thousands (Of Dust Motes)" Duck (July 14, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 15-17, 1937)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 17, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 1, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

The guy doesn't even work for the pharmacy. He just likes hanging around in a white coat in case someone gives him an excuse to punch people.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 16, 1939)

Out Our Way (October 28-30, 1940)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 18, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Once again, the Sunday Popeye goes full Ham.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 15, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

samcarsten posted:

what are some of the highpoints of Dustin? Like, the most parody worthy stuff? Also, did one of you do this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustin_(comic_strip)

Can't help but notice that the description of the family dynamics has been locked in since the middle of 2011. That takes dedication.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

It's A Sketchy Life for January 13, 1927! This week we're drawing cars, with a John Held cover!

Bruce Bairnsfather:

Nate Collier:

Albert Levering & P.R.:

LJ Holton:

GB Dawood:

GM Richards:

And one of the ones I left out last week, reprinted without a signature from the German satire magazine Lustige Blätter:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 16, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 4, 1935)

Peanuts (January 19, 1976)

It's taken two weeks since we started paying attention, but Miss Peach has actually shown up in Miss Peach (July 3, 1989)

Oh, HERE We Go...

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 17, 1939)

Out Our Way (October 31-November 2, 1940)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House (May 17-19, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (July 21-23, 1920)

Dok's "First-Class Upgrade" Duck (July 15, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 18-20, 1937)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 17, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Well FOOEY

(July 24, 1920; the encore of the 21st courtesy of a bad case of scrambled brains.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 17, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 5, 1935)

Peanuts (January 20, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 4, 1989)

HE HELD OUT FOR TWO. WHOLE. WEEKS.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 18, 1939)

Olive & Popeye (Shadia's shift)

Out Our Way (November 4-6, 1940)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House (May 21-23, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (July 26-28, 1920; timg/spoiler combo for a bad case of the Usual Reasons.)

If you can't tell, this one bugs the high hell out of me, to the point where I scanned ahead as a quality check. This specific stinker of a premise only shows up in my source's search results a handful of times, and we've already hit most of them (although even a wishy-washy estimate like that depends on OCR catching them all). That's not me signing a pledge that The Usual Issues largely vanish from Toonerville after 1921 (oh God no), just this particular two-act.

Anyway...

That's right, rowdyism. After last year's Potlatch debacle, they're not screwing around with hooliganism.

In hindsight, this is the beginning of the end, since (spoiler alert) there was no 1915 Potlatch. Still, enjoy it while you can, I guess.

Dok's "Poe But Honest" Duck (July 17, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 22-24, 1937)

Wonder if the there was a motive behind getting Patsy into pants for these last couple of appearances. Some newsworthy story that might've put this costume change into motion? Hmmmm...

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 6, 1935)

Peanuts (January 21, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 5, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 19, 1939)

Out Our Way (November 7-9, 1940)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House (May 24-26, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (July 29-31, 1920)

Dok's "I SAID NO ROWDYISM!" Duck (July 18, 1914)

All our favorites showed up tonight.

And meanwhile, over in crowd control...

(Dok Hager's "Weather" cartoon for the 18th)

Little Lefty (November 25-27, 1937)

They call the new kid Tex, but we might as well call him Hangman, seeing as how he's here to do cowboy poo poo.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 7, 1935)

Peanuts (January 22, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 6, 1989)

Cranky Shafterbean

Mutt and Jeff

RIp Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 21, 1939)

Olive & Popeye (Randy on call)

Out Our Way (November 11-13, 1940)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Here we go, the first Nancy I need to spoiler for reasons (Nazi imagery)

To be fair, it's on the right side of history. I can't make the same argument for most of my shame-curtain cases.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 8, 1935)

Peanuts (January 23, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 7, 1989)

Cranky Shafterbean

The featured comment at the moment is "Would you like to bet that guy will sell that comic book for a million dollars and then disappear?" That's a sucker's wager, seeing as how Comic Book John never leaves that room.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Just for novelty's sake, Thimble Theater presents someone who wants to kill Wimpy because he doesn't know he's Wimpy. (August 22, 1939)

Out Our Way (November 14-16, 1940)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House (May 28-30, 1923)

Toonerville Trolley (August 2-4, 1920)

The 1920 America's Cup race was scheduled to run in 1914, but a few things came up in Europe.

Dok's "All Tuckered Out From A Lack Of Rowdyism" Duck (July 19, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 29-December 1, 1937)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 24, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 8, 1989)

Cranky Shafterbean

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 23, 1939)

Out Our Way (November 18-20, 1940)