Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
VHS tapes sucked so bad and I'm glad they're dead. They were loving expensive for the longest time too! At least when DVDs launched they were pretty cheap.

I have so many DVDs and I can't bring myself to chuck em even though they are essentially worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

They will be immensely valuable when streaming fucks out somewhere around the end of May.

Combined Netflix/HBO max crap out?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

Yah, and Disney plus is losing millions and millions of dollars every month and the precious CEO was hiding the losses lol

Gonna be interesting to see what comes back in to fill the void.. Back to iTunes style movie buying/rentals and no more all you can watch subscription models? In any event it will suck rear end and I’ll just keep ripping my blu rays for my plex server like a huge nerd.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

God that sounds confusing to me and I’m a tech nerd

I think the future will be movies will be chopped up into tiktok style lengths and the CCP will control our viewing habits and track our every action while viewing the movies.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BttF2 and 3 are almost the perfect sequels because they just keep the momentum of the first film going and weave in extra elements. The climax of 2 where he’s at the dance trying not to be seen by the other him etc is really great. The world building of 2015 (lol) is also so cool.

I didn’t love 3 as much as the first 2 but it was still a great ride and it holds up as enjoyable entertainment. Probably one of the best if not the best movie trilogy?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thief fuckin rules.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The scene at the end where they’re breaking into the safe is fuckin amazing

Um excuse me that was more in the middle!! The end is where he is taking out the mob boss who threatened his family tyvm

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

2nding BladeRunner2049 dropping off a cliff when K finds Deckard. Honestly it would have been a better film and story if Ford just wasn't in it at all. Just a film noir about finding a child of a replicant (replican?) and K getting the poo poo beat out of him on the reg.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nuuuukieeeeeeeeee

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I don't know why but local news radio here is leading with the Renner story every news break and who really cares. Slow news day I guess. Hope he's ok but sheesh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat I had 1899 in my watch queue but probably won't now. It was by the folks who did "Dark", which was pretty great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah it's funny how it was realized almost immediately that a regular fabric superhero costume would just look ridiculously cheap, then batman 89 went molded plastic, then x-men tried leather duds, then the mcu pretty much went CG tweaks or full costumes while the DCU went back to the molded rubber stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My feel good flicks I put on fairly often:
- Hot Fuzz
- Fantastic Mr Fox
- Master and commander: on the far side of the world
- Spirited Away

All good vibes

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Haven’t heard anything about that new pixar coming but I hope it’s good. Hopefully Turning Red was the turnaround because the last few years for Pixar have been dire.

I posit that Onward is their worst film, worse even than The Good Dinosaur.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless (youtube) trash

LanceHunter posted:

Well, if Turning Red was the turnaround point for Pixar, I don't know how you explain Lightyear.

poo poo I totally forgot about that one, probably the first pixar I will never even see. Maybe it was in production before Turning Red or maybe TR was just a pleasant anomaly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

At this point it feels like Pixar is just another animation studio, that will occasionally hit a home run. The run from the original Toy Story until Up (or arguably Toy Story 3) was insane, with only Cars standing out as the dud in the group. But ever since then, the only films they've released that even get mentioned in the same breath as those golden age releases are Inside Out, Coco, Soul, and Turning Red. Four films out of fifteen in an eleven year period.

Yeah kind of a bummer going from a sure fire hitmaker. I think Pete Docter is probably the surest old guard guy who when he directs it's going to be great (Inside Out, Soul) with a real abstract style that is interesting. Must be clear though I liked Soul despite Tina Fey dragging it down.

The fact that Docter isn't directing Inside Out 2 is a huge red flag too imo (even apart from revisiting that idea again)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

They both had that similar issue of working way too hard at creating a high concept for the setting, but then having no idea what to do with it, to a distracting extent. "What if the asteroid didn't kill the dinosaurs?" Apparently just a regular dinosaur movie except the setting looks slightly more like the American west I guess. "What if a world of D&D wizard stuff became modern?" Pretty much the same thing as if they had done a more traditional "kid finds magic thing" story.

I do think you can see a great movie in Onward if you squint, whereas I still really have no idea what the hell TGD is, and it is aggressively ugly with the way the characters clash against the background.

I agree on all points I just think Chris Pratt sucks rear end

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We must keep Mel Brooks safe at all costs

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Richard Jenkins pushes Cabin in the Woods from good to great, I love pretty much anything he’s in and he is funny as hell without being necessarily a “comedic” actor. He’s just perfect in Step Brothers and so relatable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

terminal list is stupid what's some good movies I can watch where A Guy uses Guns to Kill A Bunch Of Evil Shitheads

not John Wick or Rambo or Die Hard. maybe there's a Korean one I haven't seen ala The Chaser / The Man From Nowhere? please I need to see a dude kill just a lot of ppl, there's great rage in my heart today

The LA shootout scene in Heat

Lotta cops gettin shot

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

I thought Cabin was too far up its own rear end because of that. Tucker and Dale was a better deconstruction of the genre.

Tucker and Dale was great fun.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Man that Evil Dead Rise trailer looks dumb as poo poo, and fairly boring.

I want a good horror with some really freaky imagery like Verbinski's version of The Ring, that is still an all timer for me. Low on the gore but really got into my head. The stuff with Samara herself were the least scary bits too!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gripweed posted:

My man have you heard of Koji Shiraishi? Noroi, Occult, Cult, Record of a Sweet Murder. Low gore slowbuild freaky horror that sticks with you is his poo poo. Stick with his found footage though, his traditional movies aren't as memorable.

I have not! I also like the youtube of that guy who is directing “skinamarink” which looks extremely up my alley for spookiness.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Heads up for youtubers on iOS, delete the app and get the Vinegar safari browser extension and just watch from the browser. It removes ads and also allows picture in picture playing! One time cost of like $3.

https://apps.apple.com/sg/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

YouTube on IOS has allowed Picture in Picture forever. Get with the times grandpa!

That's only if you pay though I thought? Or was anyway. But really the main draw is the ad-removal, it's great. I wish they had that for appleTV

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I checked the Nukie Wikipedia page and I don't know what's funnier, the 10 paragraph plot explanation preceded by a wikipedia notice that it was too long, or the guy who keeps editing the page to remove rlm references

Apart from SA Wikipedia is really the last bastion of old school internet weirdos obsessed about obscure stuff, and it rules.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

i suggest i now pronounce you chuck and larry

He said Asian Crime not A Sinful Crime

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

poisonpill posted:

Still would

dammit, beaten

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I hope the end of the last avatar has Michael Biehn show up as Hudson on the USS Sulaco and nukes Pandora from orbit

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That DICK! posted:

i think im gonna rewatch "snatch"

D'ye like dags?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Looking for some new shows to watch, which should I go through first (both appletv+ shows!)

- Bad Sisters
- Mythic Quest (Season 3)

I liked the previous seasons of Mythic Quest well enough (although oddly their best episodes were the flashback ones with none of the usual cast) and have heard good things about Bad Sisters.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I'm about half way through Three Pines (Amazon, 8 episodes) and liking it so far. Small Town detective series, French Canadian detectives and indigenous peoples getting genocided that old fashioned Canadian way combined with some un(?)related small town murders.

And the most important part: Alfred Molina is the main detective.

That sounds interesting! Will check it out, I have prime video.

Another one in my queue was that horror show about being trapped in a small town with zombie/vampire monsters roaming about after dark, I am not sure if it got picked up for more seasons so haven't started it yet. "From", had to look it up. Pretty generic sounding name. Apparently it was renewed for S2.

shirunei posted:

New season of mythic quest is kinda trash comedy wise, and a huge waste of time main plot-wise by just retreading a conflict between the two leads from s02.

Lame. The Poppy vs Ian stuff got pretty boring after a bit tbh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The NCU (Numeric Cinematic Universe)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Steve Winwood original still superior :colbert:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Fun fact: he re-recorded his vocals to better fit the song, when originally approached about getting permission to sample them

Yeah I heard that! Similar to Sting with that P.Diddy song iirc. Sampled hits get them some good $$$

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

d00kiemastah posted:

I just finished Dark and I think it’s the only time I’ve felt a mystery box show stuck its landing. Things got a bit iffy here and there, but overall I thought it was a really fantastic show that managed to keep an emotional core as things get progressively more sci-fi, and the questions get answered pretty satisfyingly and cleverly. Have you seen some other mystery box shows that have finished and managed to be worth it? Lost burned me so long, so hard and so deep...all those years ago...

Dark was pretty cool and did a good job!

I dunno if it would be a mystery box but I really felt that the Watchmen HBO series did a great job of having a good self contained story that wrapped up well. I think Lindelof kind of redeemed himself after Lost with that :haw:

I'd love another season, even with a completely different cast of characters, but I don't think that'll happen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lindelhof redeemed himself with Leftovers, a show I never want to watch again

Oh yeah I hear that one is good but the devastating part of it makes me avoid it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-exorcist-iii-collector-s-edition-1?product_id=8015

Shoutfactory is releasing Exorcist 3 on UHD in a couple months. Excellent movie that should be on everyone’s regular Halloween list

Holy poo poo this rules.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Mike Flanagan looks like the kind of guy who has strong opinions about Windows Server 2012 vs Windows Server 2016

You mean you dont?!@?! smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If there was any justice in the world Yeoh would have already won an oscar for driving a motorcycle onto a train in Supercop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du2LeN47QIw

Also that convertible stunt almost fuckin killed her jfc