Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Ñukie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Searching was a fun watch, I'm sure this "sequel" by two first time directors will also be good

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
that's a shame, I liked 1899

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
im watching The Terminal List and it's all very by the numbers but holy gently caress the fact it's a Series means you get over 2 hours of what should be the opening 20 minutes of a movie where the main guy is being gaslighted in to believing there's no conspiracy

TWO HOURS. who the gently caress wants to watch two full hours of that part of a thriller

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sunk Dunk posted:

do people watching tv know movies exist

they don't make enough of them any more to fill all my holes

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Justin Credible posted:

had it recced by a friend. Usually has better taste, some real chuddy american soldier stoic strongman hero vibes, the end twist I called almost immediately as soon as that character stepped into the story, and generally it was just bad

tbf unless something is really good I am just skipping forwards when it's scenes where it's very obvious what the scene is doing for the story and it's not doing it in any interesting way. the worst examples of this type of filler/connective tissue scenes you can just predict the lines on and don't need to bother watching actors try and deliver them

I haven't predicted the end twist yet but I love Prime for their commitment to the 10 second forward skip button, I abused the poo poo out of it during those first 2 episodes

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Lister posted:

We all know that there are certain companies that tend to sponsor a lot of youtubers. Well, today I watched a video from a channel that covers broadway shows and it was sponsored by an injury law firm. It was so unusual that I want to ask everyone here: what's the weirdest sponsorship you've seen from a youtuber?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XawdY22Ek

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
drat i thought barbie was coming out way sooner than that

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Your Gay Uncle posted:

C...H....A....B...L...E ? Chable? That cant be right.Rich what are you trying to tell us?

Lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It was fine, but I’m bothered by any piece of media where the world ends at the end. You don’t have to do that, you can just refuse to take participate in the making of the sequels. It’s why I quit reading Alan Moore, he just loves ending the loving world, which is lazy. It’s a lazy cop-out.

bro it was a fine ending for that movie

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
terminal list is stupid what's some good movies I can watch where A Guy uses Guns to Kill A Bunch Of Evil Shitheads

not John Wick or Rambo or Die Hard. maybe there's a Korean one I haven't seen ala The Chaser / The Man From Nowhere? please I need to see a dude kill just a lot of ppl, there's great rage in my heart today

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

priznat posted:

The LA shootout scene in Heat

Lotta cops gettin shot

I don't really want to watch Heat again any time soon for lovely personal reasons I posted earlier itt (itpt?)

also not Crank (seen too recently)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Cowcaster posted:

can't remember the name of the specific chow yun fat movie i'm thinking of so just, any chow yun fat movie

Cubone posted:

Hard Boiled
Commando

controversial pick, but Shoot 'Em Up
I always get pushback on Shoot 'Em Up but I thought that movie was a total blast. he shoots so many dudes :woop:

Chow Yun-fat ftw, a rewatch of Hard Boiled might be just what the doctor ordered, it's been years.

Also I liked Shoot 'Em Up too but not sure how I'll feel watching it not 16 years old

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
ok looking at Wikipedia apparently hard boiled is the only earlyish Chow Yun-fat movie i can actually 100% confirm having watched, i know I've seen several more at some point but I don't recognize any of these by name

so I'm just going to start at the beginning and see how far I get, beginning with this YouTube upload of A Better Tomorrow (1986) that seems to be the only way to stream it at all for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHeicVLGC88

might stream it on the discord since I have gently caress all to do

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I have decided I am in fact going to stream 1986 John Woo/ Chow Yun-fat movie A Better Tomorrow, starting... right about now! https://discord.gg/RVsqzEX4

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 5, 2023

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

jazzyjay posted:

The pinnacle Woo/Fat gig is the Killer where the baddies wear white tracksuits for extra squibby gibs

Can't wait

A Better Tomorrow was really loving good, such a pared down version of the whole action crime Thing, muawh :discourse:

the music in particular was very good, just left and right between huge drumming action beats directly to silence to 80s synth with asian melodies on harmonica within the span of a minute. also a shitload of people died, and thats what I call movie magic.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sydney Bottocks posted:

MST3K, much like Doctor Who, was bad to good to great in its classic original run, and mostly dire to downright awful in its revival comeback series. It's better to just watch the older episodes of both shows and forget/pretend the newer stuff doesn't exist. Thanks for listening :tipshat:

as I have to ask anyone who suggests watching Old Doctor Who, are you 100 years old and British

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Cubone posted:

im not the gay supermechagodzilla. please dont put in the newspaper that im the gay supermechagodzilla

im putting in the newspaper that you write good posts

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I don't find it fun, I empathize too strongly with the killers and want to see them get away with it. Regular mysteries are great, though.

the killers on Columbo are almost always rich shitheads wtf

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sunk Dunk posted:

thinking about doing 0 work today

the only thing I intend to do today is watch at least 1 Asian Crime Movie

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The Sum of All Fears (2002). Tom Clancy with Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan.

Enjoyed it fine. I did not honestly think that bomb would blow up and so the movie earned my respect there. They also included the classic villain addressing a dinner table talking about how cool Hitler is scene :discourse:

and get a load of this war council cast:

President James Cromwell
CIA director Morgan Freeman
Defense Secretary Phillip Baker Hall
NSA head Bruce McGill
Admiral Ken Jenkins

also enjoyed Ciaran Hinds as the weird and isolated Russian president who didn't seem either Russian or like someone that had the means or allies to become president

There was a woman in the cast. She was there to have sex with and be stood up by Ben Affleck because America Comes First, Baby

3.5/5

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Watched The Menu and really enjoyed it. The whole thing is kind of ridiculous, and a spectacle, and they don't really do enough with most of the diners, but I was certainly never bored.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

That DICK! posted:

i liked dumb and dumber

when I go fill out my letterboxd later I'm saving all my 5s for 90s comedies

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm about half way through Three Pines (Amazon, 8 episodes) and liking it so far. Small Town detective series, French Canadian detectives and indigenous peoples getting genocided that old fashioned Canadian way combined with some un(?)related small town murders.

And the most important part: Alfred Molina is the main detective.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
From sounded good to me too but I got big "this is never going to finish satisfyingly" vibes, either from premature cancelation or just never having an end in sight to begin with. Curious to hear from anyone who actually watched the full season

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

That DICK! posted:

i aint seen the first two pines

Three Pines is just the name of the TV Series, actually. There never was a Two Pines or indeed even a Pine. But I can see where the confusion would arise.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
so glad the boys also loved The Menu

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Quantum of Phallus posted:

not watching the menu!!!

"the funniest movie of last year" -some alcoholic

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

sure okay posted:

Putting on a performance that others can frame and mix into something that wins awards is something that anyone could do. That is to say, you could have the grip swap places with DDL and if the grip can memorize the monologue then a director can mold him to say it "just so" and a cinematographer can yadda yadda yadda...

Basally, the hard parts of making a movie aren't the acting. And actors are hired for their looks.

But being an actor, and taking all the poo poo that comes with it, is not for the faint of heart.

wow you're really giving me a lot to think about

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

folks,

do not watch Lovecraft Country

I mostly enjoyed the first like 4 episodes, what happened

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the ability to determine who and what demographic you are regardless of being logged in currently or never having willingly divulged that info is the basis for Google and much of the rest of the internet's ability to make money. ftw

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Jesus christ

Efb

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Fred has a tiny wiener and it's the subject of MUCH conversation lmfao

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

N. Senada posted:

Big plot reveal at the end of the season is that he’s uncirc’d

the real reveal is obviously going to be that shaggy has a huge hog

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Endless Trash posted:

That plot synopsis is not from the production or Mindy Kaling but rather a negative review of the show

oh wow

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
trying really hard to imagine the Mindy Kaling Velma show that could generate that review but is actually good and that reviewer is wrong

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lmao at that yahoo article having twenty thousand words about how rlm deliberately drive up the cost and then quietly throwing in one sentence about the proceeds going to charity right down the bottom.

On my phone browser they never mention it going to charity, there's an ad covering that sentence. I can only tell because searching for the word "donate" brings me to the middle of a giant uncloseable ad

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I watched Velma episode 1.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

this is the opening scene and all 3 minutes of the dialogue during it is meta commentary on television and the series itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Hodor please come back and watch episode 2 for me, it's not as hard to watch as Santa Inc. was I promise