Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
(There's now officially both an Animation for Adults thread and an Adult Swim Megathread in TVIV since a lot of people wanted to discuss Adult Swim stuff without drowning in anime chat. If you wanna talk about other Adult Swim shows here, then that's still perfectly cool, just know that you won't get as many replies/interest as you may want)

:siren: Spoiler policy :siren: (for ADTRW regulars): please don't post spoilers for shows just in case we have people going in blind watching them. Well, unless you want to spoil one of the never-ending shonen shows like Naruto, 'cause no one gives a poo poo.

Welcome to the Toonami thread for 2023 everyone!

Toonami was America's premiere action block from '97 until '08. They showed a whole bunch of anime and are most notable for bringing Dragon Ball Z to the US (for better or for worse). Adult Swim brought it back as their April Fool's Day prank in 2012 and after nostalgia-fueled fan outcry, it's back. And hell if cable television lasts past April it will have lasted longer than the original Toonami! ...like there's a big asterisk there kinda since original Toonami was on every weekday instead of the revival's once-a-week schedule but whatever who cares...

Currently airing:

12:00 - My Hero Academia

In a world where superpowers are the norm, all the kids want to train and be the next big superhero (a viable career option in this world), none more so than protagonist Izuku Midoriya. The catch though, is that Izuku has no power (called a quirk in this world because reasons), making him a freak outcast with little chance. Until one day he meets the most powerful and popular hero in the world (and his own personal idol) All Might and things suddenly change...

In case you need a quick refresher on the plot since last season, the new and improved League of Villains (massively grown in size since absorbing another organization) is about to start a revolution that may threaten to upend society as the world knows it. Multiple characters, some not even Deku, have been getting literal power ups to their quirks, and poo poo's about to get real real, real fast in MHA as we're basically moving into open war between Japan's hero association and the LoV.

12:30-1:00 - Made In Abyss season 2

The story of MiA follows a plucky teenage spelunker named Riko who spends her days exploring the massive, seemingly bottomless, hole in the earth called the Abyss. One day she finds an amnesiac android named Reg and decides she's gonna utilize his nifty robot powers to take the literal and metaphorical plunge to go all the way and find the bottom, where supposedly her mother is waiting. Can it be done? Find out....

...but :siren: don't talk about it here! :siren:

Made in Abyss is... controversial for multiple reasons (though most can be boiled down to "hosed up poo poo happening to kids and the art style makes them look like even younger kids"), so much so that it is apparently a banworthy offense to talk about it. I don't know that for a fact, but honestly I do not care enough about MiA to contact a mod and/or die on the hill finding out. All I'll say is that I feel the weird thing about MiA is that it's not like, all trash. Normally a truly bad show is just irredeemable but I feel like with every episode (and the movie) you could edit like 5 minutes (prob like 15 for the movie) out and have a perfectly acceptable show with some occasionally hosed up stuff but not like so controversial as to start rules about it.

1:00-1:30 - Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Hey, do you remember Inuyasha? It started on Adult Swim in 2002 and ran in reruns in some form or another for over a decade (I ain't making that poo poo up, it was on at like 5:30 AM in 2014, crazy, huh?). So even if you never watched Inuyasha, if you're posting here, I'm betting you have a passing familiarity with Inuyasha. Do you think back on it and say "Man, I wish I could see a sequel to Inuyasha"? If you answered no then do not watch Yashahime. If you answered yes then really do not watch Yashahime.

alright I'll do my due diligence... Yashahime is a sequel series following the twin daughters of Sesshomaru... also Inuyasha and Kagome's daughter is there too, but who cares about her am I right? It's about them having adventures after the lead, Towa, comes back from the future (after getting non-consensually sent to our present). The overarching plot doesn't really kick in for a while and... poo poo look okay, I'm loving done. I could go on a rant for hours about how this is the worst anime I've seen not because it's actually bad but because it's just so disappointing in every respect. Like Made In Abyss might be this thread's Voldemort, but loving Yashahime is the one that makes me maddest because it takes a show that I really liked when I was young and just like ruins it in every way. I know Inuyasha wasn't high art, I doubt it's anyone's actual favorite anime, but goddamn it deserves better than this. It has bad heroes*, no compelling antagonists, bad contrivances to remove old characters from the plot, hell it hardly has any semblance of an actual plot AT ALL, and yet I'm gripped to it weekly the same way Dragon Ball fans probably were back in the day when GT was on. ...:sweatdrop: Okay look I'm done okay, I'm not gonna post my thesis here I'll move on

*(except for Moroha who is a perfect goblin angel and deserves better than this show.)

1:30-2:00 - One Piece

Oh hey, One Piece is back. One Piece is about a bunch of pirates searching for... wait a minute, I know a much faster way to explain the plot of One Piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

Anyway as of this edit (1/1/23), we're on the Punk Hazard arc. You want to catch up, go to Crunchyroll or somewhere or read wikipedia. One Piece will never end. I know this because it still hasn't ended, even in Japan. The manga hasn't ended. It is safe to say that there is a whole generation out there that grew up on One Piece, gave up, and then their kids have picked up One Piece. It's mind blowing. poo poo say what you want about My Hero Academia aping Western superheroes, One Piece is the real closest thing to Western comics in Japan because it's never gonna end, like Batman. Frankly if Oda dies today I will not be shocked if his skeleton rises up like Brooke to keep drawing.

2:00-2:30 - Naruto Shippuden

Naruto is a ninja kid from the Hidden Leaf Village who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. Hey, at this point did you know that technically Toonami's airing premiere episodes now? (of the dub at least) Yeah, it never got far enough here or when it was airing on other networks to go this far. Anyway. it will never end and

wait a second *checks notes* ...it'll actually end soon? I mean, not this year but there's less than a hundred episodes left. Not accounting for holiday weeks, 2023 may be the last year where Naruto's on (all year)!

2:30-3:00 CLOSING TIME - Primal

Primal is the latest project from legendary animator Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, Star Wars The Clone Wars (the 2D shorts not the 3D one)). It follows the adventures of caveman Spear and t-rex Fang who bond after a tragedy and then go on adventures. Features a spot a lot of ultraviolence.

For fun, here's stats on when these shows will end:

fit em all up in there posted:

Toonami end show dates: (Assuming no marathons or preemptions)
12:00 AM - My Hero Academia (14 episodes so far/3 episodes aired/Ongoing)
12:30 AM - Show that shall not be named (12 episodes total/6 aired/6 episodes left(End date: February 12th 2023)
1:00 AM - Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon(24 episodes total/18 episodes aired/6 episodes left(End date: February 12th 2023)
1:30 AM - One Piece(1046 episodes total/599 episodes aired/Ongoing)
2:00 AM - Naruto: Shippuden(500 episodes total/422 episodes aired/78 episodes left(End Date: June 30th 2024)
2:30 AM - Primal S2 (reruns) (10 episodes total/ 8 episodes aired/2 episodes left(End Date: January 15th 2023)

So what can we expect this year?

well let's drag this one out again....

Uzumaki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDEQyK5ZH-E

Uzumaki, by horror master Junji Ito, based on the legendary manga of the same name! gently caress it I've given up trying to guess when this will air, I think it was supposed to be 2020 and then it wasn't (understandably), then they've sworn it'll be in 2021, and then again said it would be out in 2022. MAYBE THIS TIME? If I had to guess, again I'd it'd air around Halloween because it's a horror show but who the ever-loving gently caress knows? Anyway supposedly it'll air here before Japan, if it ever loving COMES OUT. There's not much in the way of previews you can watch, but you can watch an interview with the director here

FLCL again

Did you like FLCL? Did you like FLCL Progressive or FLCL Alternative? Depending on how many times you said yes, you will either be excited or horrified to hear that Adult Swim is going back to the FLCL well to make two more seasons! (if you said no to all 3 I imagine you'll be just nonplussed by the whole thing)

FLCL: Grunge is coming from MontBlanc Pictures, and FLCL: Shoegaze is coming from Production I.G and NUT. the pillows will be back on music duty though, if nothing else. So if you like them there'll be something to watch for even if the shows suck. Here's the only thing released about either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD-HHpPws-c

Anything else?

Not gonna lie, the state of the block is looking shaky. You're probably aware that CN/AS are under new management, and Warner Bros/Discovery CEO David Zaslav is kind of a madman and no one can predict what insane thing he'll do next in the name of a tax write-off. Cancel Uzumaki? Cancel the whole goddamn channel? Who knows?! Combine that with the (as usual) slow death of cable television as a whole, and the brand ain't strong, fam. BUT I HAVE FAITH THAT WE'LL PUSH THROUGH :911:

okay, that scary prospect aside, Toonami really doesn't announce too much ahead of time. What they do do however, is basically never leave a show unfinished, so if there's a show that's aired here, and there's a new season in Japan, you can almost always bet that it will air here eventually. So while they may not air here this year, the current list of former Toonami shows with sequels/more seasons includes but is not limited to:

• Food Wars - Everybody accomplished their life goals at the end of the last season but I guess there's more? Thread regulars have said there's a massive quality drop but this thread is no stranger to trash so strap in.
  • SSSS.Gridman - got a sequel called SSSS.Dynazenon.
  • Mob Psycho 100 - I mean they sure are taking an awful long time since season 3 just wrapped and they've yet to air season 2 here but hey never lose hope, right?
  • Dr. Stone has a new season coming in April, so maybe it'll come here later (maybe even with a only weeks-long delay)
  • Megalobox - Still not dead yet
  • Pop Team Epic - More Hoshiro Girldrop goddammit!
  • Bleach - Bleach is currently having a Brotherhood/Final Chapter comeback to wrap up the parts of the manga that the original anime didn't get to. As it was on Toonami (and Adult Swim before the revival) for years, I'm sure this is one they're really gonna fight hard to get if they can.
  • everything else - I mean, Boruto might come back at some point, who knows? Who can say.

some things you should not bet on returning are JoJo's Bizarre Adventure which Netflix bought and apparently the odds of Demon Slayer returning are unfortunately very low because after the movie did loving gangbusters it suddenly became way more expensive to license (funny how that happened).

ALSO

Every Saturday night while the more boring shonen shows are on TV, Arist (and others) are building you a better cartoon(/sentai/tokusatsu/whatever) show. They call it Goonami. They just post on Fri/Sat night when they're gonna stream poo poo on Cytube and you can watch. It involves a few browser plugins but it's real easy to do and you should check it out! More info:

MEANWHILE EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE WEEK...

Adult Swim is a block on Cartoon Network that's been running since 2001. It's their late-night offering for grown-ups such as ourselves. This high class stuff includes a show where a guy hosts a parody talk show and pukes on himself and a bunch of Fox reruns. Like I mentioned up top, there is a TVIV catch-all thread for non-kid animation if you want to talk about it there, and there's probably TVIV threads for a bunch of their other live-action stuff, though I'm not gonna check each and every show. If you want to talk about it here though, that's okay, just don't get annoyed when it gets buried under pages upon pages of anime chat.

What's on right now?

The Fox shows like Bob's Burgers and American Dad of course. They got back King of the Hill and Futurama so that's neat. Also since AS knows where their bread and butter is, Rick & Morty is on basically every night. And AS always has some new cheap show that looks like it cost about a grand to make hoping it'll be the next Aqua Teen and every now and then they're good.

Okay, yeah, but what else?

Adult Swim has eschewed any semblance of scheduling like any other TV network and also any semblance of actually canceling TV shows (like, if you look at the list of shows they've aired on Wikipedia, there's a ton that haven't aired in years that still aren't "officially" canceled). What I'm saying is that if you've seen a show on Adult Swim ever, there's a nonzero chance that it could come up with a new season at any given point in time. Or hell, maybe it won't come back here, it'll be on HBO Max or something. Or hell, given the aforementioned business at WBD that's gutting HBO Max, maybe it'll be shoved into a memory hole and you'll have to torrent everything like it's the 90s again!

Anyway get ready for 2023!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:rip: 2022

Long live 2023

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Happy new year Toonami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeM5hNXNi-U&ab_channel=BrendanW

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Happy New Year!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ground floor! Happy New Year friends :toot:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

finish food wars you cowards

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

finish food wars you cowards

The final story arc is so bad though.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

My hope is Boruto, since especially after Yashahime has proven to be a big disappointment i honestly wouldn't mind seeing a semidecent Sequel Series again on the block.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this! posted:

yes

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Didn't stop them from airing Promised Neverland 2 and Yashahime is still going.

If I could ask for an impossible show let's see Durarara season 2.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
give me Drifters or give me death*

*Chainsaw Man or Spy X Family would be an acceptable substitute

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Level Seven posted:

Oooo I haven't thought about DRRR for years but now that you mention it I really wanna watch it.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
They should play that show Cowboy Bebop

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
You know, it just hit me that the Goonami movies we watched on Christmas and New Years are pretty similar in a way. Both are totally 100% historically accurate tellings of someone's life story and both end with a main character tragically dying, followed by some text giving some historical info, followed by a scene of them returning as an undead spirit/zombie.

Weird Al and Inu-oh, basically the same.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Level Seven posted:

Did Durarara air on Toonami?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did Durarara air on Toonami?

I think it aired for Adult Swim in between Toonamis?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No, but it did air on Adult Swim proper while Toonami was defunct

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

define "bad"

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Polygynous posted:

define "bad"

From what I heard, really played out tropes, awful villains, and bringing way too much straight-up magic into what's supposed to be heightened reality.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Polygynous posted:

define "bad"

You know how a lot of fun of the series is the titular food wars with delicious looking results? What if we just kind of skip all that? Also how the entire premise of the goddamn story is that the school creates the best of the best chefs? What if they introduce a bunch of new CRIME CHEFS who are even better?

Oh and the incest part.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Polygynous posted:

define "bad"

I suspect this covers the bit of the manga where the culinary expert consultant was on maternity leave, and thus nobody writing it knew how to actually cook, and it shows. Like Imagine if in the Buu Arc Toriyama just stopped knowing how to draw people punching each other

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The bad guy gimmicks got extremely lazy near the end where all of a sudden everyone had a crazy knife. With two being basically the same where they would season while cutting. Also the main villain of the arc is just a repeat of the gimmick of copying chefs with the minor twist that he can do multiple at the same time. He even does the thing where if he beats someone he takes their knife.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

you all must share my pain

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Arist posted:

you all must share my pain

As long as we still get foodgasms i'll solider on through

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Preshow time!

https://cytu.be/r/goonami

Reminder that Toonami proper returns tonight! Also, Lycoris at 12:30!

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

quote:

BAD

oh. yeah. that's all BAD bad.

shame, that.

i'll still watch that garbage

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
PREVIOUSLY, ON TOONAMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4_Qzx-E2LQ

MORE PREVIOUSLY THAN THAT, ON TOONAMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lKUYAnqxjU

LONG AGO, WHEN TIGERS STILL SMOKED ON TOONAMI

My Hero Academia - The Hero Association has launched an all-out assault on the AMORE facilities in the Arklay Mountains and underneath Mercy Hospital. The Hospital strike team is attempting to arrest Dr. Robotnik, though they're encountering heavy resistance due to the battalion of Tyrants that were being held in cryostasis in the underground labs. The Arklay strike team, on the other hand, is making great progress, particularly since AMORE had zero clue that Rawk Hawk was sus the entire time he was working with them. Probably the hardest hit by this revelation was Multiple Man, and when I say "hardest hit" I actually mean "fuckin' RIP that dude".

Yashahime - [extremely Kaepora Gaebora voice] Crispin Freeman, whose arm was cut off some time ago and was transported into the future where it became Crispin Freeeman, now seeks the Windmill of Time so that he can travel into the future himself so that he can blow up the asteroid from Armageddon before it can wipe out all life on Earth, after which he intends to find Shawn Michaels and Triple H and bring them back to the past so that he can become WWF Heavyweight Champion and therefore prevent Vince McMahon from running over Stone Cold Steve Austin with an oversized Hummer.

Do you need me to repeat what I said?
  • No
  • Yes

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Head's up movie fans, Shin Ultraman has a limited American release this week.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Argus Zant posted:

Yashahime ...

• No
  • Yes

I was thinking of attempting to summarize Yashahime but decided such a thing is impossible. But that works I think.

because half of it was nonsense that didn't matter, and the stuff that DID matter was an endless series of barely justified macguffin hunts, too many of which were to bring back someone from being dead or mostly dead, and even THAT got thrown out the window because apparently the Big Bad is actually saving the world (or maybe the future world anyway (meaning the present (I think?))) and our heroes are helping him now

shut up i am not mad about this show

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Argus Zant posted:

• No
  • Yes

*Mashing A to fast and hits Yes by accident*

aw poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Time... for anime

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I just had to google "WHEN TIGERS STILL SMOKED" and now I am even more confused, I am ready for TOonami

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Birdman. Power: Is Bird

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
But what about the thermals

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
FATAXI!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FATAXI

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
teach me your ways master birdman

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014