Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
no this is about the television series "darksky and dutch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

at first i thought it was remembrance thread for a dead goon but i couldn't recall any poster by that name. then i tried to think of someone famous, and banksy was the closest so that didn't make sense either.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

i just use the built in weather app. it suits my needs.
Yes it suits your needs because apple loving bought out the one good one, turned it into the default app on ios, and shut it down on other platforms because they suck and that's literally what this thread is about

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

oh, lol.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

so really this thread should be rip androidailures?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
not really, more like rip website. the android app was shut down pretty much as soon as apple bought it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

not really, more like rip website. the android app was shut down pretty much as soon as apple bought it
I'm still mad about that too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
idk why they couldn't just leave it up, charge for it if they have to. theres a web and android version of apple music and most icloud services are available on web too

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

idk why they couldn't just leave it up, charge for it if they have to. theres a web and android version of apple music and most icloud services are available on web too
I'm pretty sure I was literally paying for premium features in the android app when they shut it down too, they could have just taken my money

(Even if I'm misremembering and it was all free, after they shut it down I immediately switched to a subscription app that was using the darksky API so I would definitely have been willing to pay for it)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i thought it was a sub, yeah. it wouldn't be the first time they left an app unbranded and functional, seems like a lost chance at easy money/showing what comes with ios for free*

mystes
May 31, 2006

OK yeah I was paying. It was only $2.99/year which may not have seemed worth the effort for Apple, but they probably could have cranked that up to like $9.99/year and I wouldn't have even bothered to think about switching to something else.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah it seems like easy money

the only reason i can think of is that apple didn't really develop the android app i guess. i decompiled the apple music android app a few months back and was half-surprised to find its kind of similar to itunes on windows, i.e. a bunch of ios frameworks are reimplemented in java, presumably so they can use the same code

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i'm still mad about primephonic too

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
rip the crew of the good ship dark star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZUhSqgBEAI

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it was pretty hilarious they had a separate app before the official darksky app was overhauled, and then never released the new one in Canada despite the website working just fine here lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

akadajet posted:

imagine being the moron that chooses the bad phone operating system. what are you doing with your life?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
defector has a writeup: https://defector.com/goodbye-to-dark-sky-the-only-good-weather-app/

mystes
May 31, 2006

This article simultaneously makes me feel glad that someone else misses it but also like I might be even more of a weirdo than I realized for caring about a weather app

It reminds me of the time when Runner's World took down their "what to wear for running" calculator page and I was pissed and then the editor posted like a whole two page rant about how, fine, they were going to bring it back, but also everyone who relied on an internet site to decide how to dress was a weirdo and should feel bad about themself

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 3, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

post hole digger posted:

I swear the apple thunderstorm icon just means “strong rain”

this is why you should just read your local METARs and TAFs. for instance you can see there's a heavy thunderstorm in huntsville between 1800Z and 2000Z today:

KHSV 031835Z COR 36003KT 1 1/2SM TSRA BR SCT010CB BKN030 OVC085 14/14 A2992 RMK AO2 PK WND 32038/1800 WSHFT 1755 LTG DSNT ALQDS TSB18 ONCL LTGCCCG SE-E TS E MOV NE P0041 T01440139
KHSV 031720Z 0318/0418 19016G24KT P6SM SHRA BKN029 BKN040 OVC120
TEMPO 0318/0320 VRB25G40KT 3/4SM +TSRA BKN015CB
FM032200 19015G23KT P6SM BKN020 OVC035
FM040300 17012KT P6SM VCSH BKN015
FM040700 18011KT P6SM VCTS BKN015CB
FM041100 23007KT P6SM OVC035
FM041500 25008KT P6SM OVC250

obviously

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

this is why you should just read your local METARs and TAFs. for instance you can see there's a heavy thunderstorm in huntsville between 1800Z and 2000Z today:

KHSV 031835Z COR 36003KT 1 1/2SM TSRA BR SCT010CB BKN030 OVC085 14/14 A2992 RMK AO2 PK WND 32038/1800 WSHFT 1755 LTG DSNT ALQDS TSB18 ONCL LTGCCCG SE-E TS E MOV NE P0041 T01440139
KHSV 031720Z 0318/0418 19016G24KT P6SM SHRA BKN029 BKN040 OVC120
TEMPO 0318/0320 VRB25G40KT 3/4SM +TSRA BKN015CB
FM032200 19015G23KT P6SM BKN020 OVC035
FM040300 17012KT P6SM VCSH BKN015
FM040700 18011KT P6SM VCTS BKN015CB
FM041100 23007KT P6SM OVC035
FM041500 25008KT P6SM OVC250

obviously

Keep reminding us about how you're a rich pilot who probably owns like a dozen planes.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

akadajet posted:

Keep reminding us about how you're a rich pilot who probably owns like a dozen planes.

Come on smoka

wait

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
is there a weather app/site that just shows actual radar on loop instead of "extending" it into futurecast with random blobs of precipitation that have no bearing on real conditions?

like, when there's a thunderstorm, i just want to see where the storm cells are coming from and where they are currently to know if i'm in the path, but pretty much every site now automatically shows the past 30 min real radar followed by 1 hour of "predicted" radar which is completely useless

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't know if this will help you but i love windy.com for all weather related stuff and you can set the length of the timeline with a slider at the bottom

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Plank Walker posted:

is there a weather app/site that just shows actual radar on loop instead of "extending" it into futurecast with random blobs of precipitation that have no bearing on real conditions?

like, when there's a thunderstorm, i just want to see where the storm cells are coming from and where they are currently to know if i'm in the path, but pretty much every site now automatically shows the past 30 min real radar followed by 1 hour of "predicted" radar which is completely useless

https://radar.weather.gov/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's actually pretty insane how much data from the us government gets repackaged with ads

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

it's actually pretty insane how much data from the us government gets repackaged with ads
Didn't one of the weather sites literally try to do a TurboTax type thing to prevent the government from providing weather directly to users?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

Didn't one of the weather sites literally try to do a TurboTax type thing to prevent the government from providing weather directly to users?

i'm not sure, it certainly sounds plausible lol

weather.gov isn't the greatest site, but if you can figure out how to navigate it pretty much anything you'd want is there

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

weather.gov is a little unintuitive and weird, like most fedgov sites (looking at you forest service) but its pretty cool once you get used to it. i love the long term forecasts and precipitation tracking.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

accuweather, and literally yes:
https://old.reddit.com/r/weather/comments/9nk5in/just_a_reminder_that_accuweather_is_an_awful/

quote:

Excerpts from Michael Lewis' The Fifth Risk:

Accuweather was still privately owned by the Myers family, so it was hard to know exactly how big it was, or how much money it made, or how it made it. Staffers in the U.S. Senate charged with vetting Myers’s nomination estimated that AccuWeather had roughly $100 million a year in revenue, and that it came mainly from selling ads on its website and selling weather forecasts to companies and governments willing to pay for them. Some weather geeks had recently discovered that the company had been selling the locations of people using its app, even when these individuals had declined to give AccuWeather permission to do this.
By the 1990s, Barry Myers was arguing with a straight face that the National Weather Service should be, with one exception, entirely forbidden from delivering any weather-related knowledge to any American who might otherwise wind up a paying customer of AccuWeather. The exception was when human life and property was at stake. Even here Myers hedged. “The National Weather Service does not need to have the final say on warnings,” he told the consulting firm McKinsey, which made a study of the strangely fraught relationship between the private weather sector and the government. “The customer and the private sector should be able to sort that out. The government should get out of the forecasting business."
In 2005 Rick Santorum, a senator from AccuWeather’s home state of Pennsylvania and a recipient of Myers family campaign contributions, introduced a bill that would have written this idea into law. The bill was a little vague, but it appeared to eliminate the National Weather Service’s website or any other means of communication with the public. It allowed the Weather Service to warn people about the weather just before it was about to kill them, but at no other time—and exactly how “anyone would be any good at predicting extreme weather if he or she wasn’t predicting all the other weather was left unclear.

Pause a moment to consider the audacity of that maneuver. A private company whose weather predictions were totally dependent on the billions of dollars spent by the U.S. taxpayer to gather the data necessary for those predictions, and on decades of intellectual weather work sponsored by the U.S. taxpayer, and on international data-sharing treaties made on behalf of the U.S. taxpayer, and on the very forecasts that the National Weather Service generated, was, in effect, trying to force the U.S. taxpayer to pay all over again for what the National Weather Service might be able to tell him or her for free.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

This article simultaneously makes me feel glad that someone else misses it but also like I might be even more of a weirdo than I realized for caring about a weather app

It reminds me of the time when Runner's World took down their "what to wear for running" calculator page and I was pissed and then the editor posted like a whole two page rant about how, fine, they were going to bring it back, but also everyone who relied on an internet site to decide how to dress was a weirdo and should feel bad about themself

I know Dark Sky wasn’t horribly accurate with its predictions, because I know that we don’t really know how to predict the weather. But I’m going to try to do it anyways. And Dark Sky gave me the information in a way that I liked.

Weather is alright. I didn’t notice a change in the quality of predictions after acquisition or anything. But the Dark Sky interface was nicer.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

iOS says that my weather is fine and breezy. my eyes looking out the window sees rain. lots of rain.

it is a garbage app. I use Windy a bit. it seems to me more correct than iOS

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the radar precipitation map in the new apple weather app is way more low res and blotchy than the one in dark sky, has a weird jerky transition from frame to frame, and fails to load half the time, even on wifi

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's real bad. i haven't really had problems loading but it's incredibly blurry and seems to skip frames randomly

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

that reminded me that yahoo was doing that with weather channel for ios until 8, when the ceo (former yahoo board member) undercut them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Flyin back to sf and apparently there's mega weather going on. Setting the over/under on number of people I hear puking as we go over the Sierra Nevada at 3

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Flyin back to sf and apparently there's mega weather going on. Setting the over/under on number of people I hear puking as we go over the Sierra Nevada at 3

under

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Sagebrush posted:

By "mega-weather" we mean light rain.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

this is all i need bitch

https://weatherscan.net

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Very useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ