Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Door Frame posted:

I'm saying that the labels say to never leave it in the car. People do leave them in their cars, so I know that it's not the biggest deal, but I'm of the paranoid type. Their longevity in elevated temperatures is a question I don't want answered by a dud epinephrine shot, even though I know it's unlikely to be a dud shot, but I must obey the paranoia

I mean... Metformin is supposed to be kept between 59-86F (same with pretty much everything I'm on). It stays in my backpack. Occasionally my backpack gets left in the car, but not often (when it does, it's usually in the trunk, which stays quite a bit cooler than the cabin). I'd just be adding one more thing to my man purse. With a lot of meds, being outside of that zone usually just shortens the shelf life (and the expiration dates tend to be extremely generous on most meds).

So just got back from an urgent care clinic - they xrayed my chest, guess who has loving pneumonia... again? Sugar is a lot lower today (still a lot higher than I'd like, but it was under 200 when I woke up), but I'm finally feeling human...ish (as in I have an appetite and some energy). NP at the clinic said being sick (especially pneumonia sick) can throw a lot of stuff off for diabetics, Mayo Clinic's website specifically cites pneumonia as one of the things that can seriously gently caress a diabetic's sugar up. I'm hoping that's all it is - I'm going to try to get in with my regular doctor soon, but he's on vacation at the moment. Urgent care clinic strongly suggested I should have been hospitalized based on how weak I am + how out of whack my sugar has been, but no, shitposting on the internet is more important.

Awesome part is I've had the pneumococcal vaccination (a few years back); this makes round 2 with pneumonia in less than a year.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

Urgent care clinic strongly suggested I should have been hospitalized based on how weak I am + how out of whack my sugar has been, but no, shitposting on the internet is more important.

And cheaper!

Glad you're feeling better now STR.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just realized I've barely been eating for nearly 2 weeks. Hell of a way to lose weight I guess (I'm down 8 lbs), but now that the sugar is somewhat down and (I think) I'm fully out of DKA, I'm hangry. So hangry.

I don't feel up to cooking a whole meal, but I have a bunch of leftover ham from Thanksgiving in the freezer (including a ham bone). I have potatoes, I have milk, I have cheese. I just need to grab celery, carrots, and onion.

e: welp Albertsons/Safeway/Randall's just got $50 out of me. So much "oh hey, coupons" while comparison shopping against HEB, debating if it's worth paying the extra $5 to get my order in the same time frame from HEB (plus the extra hassle of making another stop), plus a "hey if you drop $75, we'll give you $30 off on your first online order**********". Somehow they're always way cheaper than anybody else on beef and chicken (but generally much higher on everything else). Their meat department is about to hate me unless they did a bunch of extra super lean ground beef for the advertised sale (93% @ $3.99/lb if you get a bulk pack... that's what 73-80% goes for everywhere else, and I have plenty of freezer paper + a fairly empty chest freezer), and I can justify paying twice as much on the produce when I'm paying 1/3 of what I would normally pay for meat.

And of course, "if you do a 7 day FREE TRIAL of our ULTRA PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP DELIVERY THING you'll get 4x points then $12.99/mo after", so I should be getting at least 30c/gal off on my next fillup (they're generally priced in line with everyone else nearby on gas, and I'm down to about 1/3 of a tank). So glad my bank lets me generate temporary card numbers :v:

mariooncrack posted:

And cheaper!

Believe it or not, not exactly. For whatever reason, it looks like all of my benefits from my former employer are still active (hell, I can still log into my email and Teams from my desktop, but I've deleted all work related apps from my phone at this point). ER visit is $100 (urgent care is $50), but I'm also signed up for one of those hospital indemnity plans that essentially offsets an ER visit (and it's linked to my medical insurance claims - it's supposed to all be automatic). Since the medical was so cheap, I went full hog on most of the other stuff. All of my benefits are still active. I've tried reaching out to HR to ask about when I'll see any COBRA paperwork and when my benefits will discontinue, but never heard back (tried 3x over the past month).

The indemnity plan paid directly to me before as a direct deposit for getting a physical last year, so I don't think it would go through payroll. If it did I probably wouldn't see anything, I'm sure they want my share of the benefits that they're still paying for. :shrug:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 4, 2023

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Not trying to doxx myself too hard, but I live across the street from this event: https://katu.com/news/local/portlan...egon-pfr-rescue

My throat and lungs are hosed - If we look out our bedroom window we can see this building across the street.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oofta. Yeah fires suck, I feel for ya. All sort of poo poo burning that shouldn't be burning.

My neighbors RV went up in their driveway a couple years ago, talk about black smoke you don't want to breathe.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

God dammit. Wife just called me that the battery in the Outback was dead. Wonder which new piece of hardware was the culprit?
Is the alarm drawing too much, or is one of the amps not turning off....?
Doesn't help that I work until 6 and it gets dark at 5, now. I hate winter.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That battery isn't even very old, right? My money is on one of the amps not turning off.

e: oh cool my neighbor is brap brapping his new G35 to hell and back right outside my window. I can usually tolerate his car stuff (even if it's stuff like a mid 00s Corolla with a fart pipe most of the time), but this thing sounds like it has a 2 step on it. Even when I had riced out cars, I didn't blap blap blap pop in neighborhoods and especially not in my apartment parking lot :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 4, 2023

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Banana tailpipe time

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

STR posted:

I mean... Metformin is supposed to be kept between 59-86F (same with pretty much everything I'm on). It stays in my backpack. Occasionally my backpack gets left in the car, but not often (when it does, it's usually in the trunk, which stays quite a bit cooler than the cabin). I'd just be adding one more thing to my man purse. With a lot of meds, being outside of that zone usually just shortens the shelf life (and the expiration dates tend to be extremely generous on most meds).

So just got back from an urgent care clinic - they xrayed my chest, guess who has loving pneumonia... again? Sugar is a lot lower today (still a lot higher than I'd like, but it was under 200 when I woke up), but I'm finally feeling human...ish (as in I have an appetite and some energy). NP at the clinic said being sick (especially pneumonia sick) can throw a lot of stuff off for diabetics, Mayo Clinic's website specifically cites pneumonia as one of the things that can seriously gently caress a diabetic's sugar up. I'm hoping that's all it is - I'm going to try to get in with my regular doctor soon, but he's on vacation at the moment. Urgent care clinic strongly suggested I should have been hospitalized based on how weak I am + how out of whack my sugar has been, but no, shitposting on the internet is more important.

Awesome part is I've had the pneumococcal vaccination (a few years back); this makes round 2 with pneumonia in less than a year.

Good gravy you got some luck dude. Wishing you a swift recovery.

Pneumonia is terrible, my great uncle had it starting around Christmas though he didnt know until a day or two after when they went to urgent care. Regular doctor is closed for the holiday week. They sent him to the hospital right away where he found out it was pneumonia and fluid around his heart. Hes 91 and I really worried he wasnt coming home, his father died of it in the hospital when he was 89 so my uncle was really worried as well. He did get better though and only spent 4 days in the hospital peeing like mad lol. Such a relief. My sister and I are really close to them like grandparents. Hes an electrical engineer and just smart in general answered all my million kid questions about how everything worked. Definitely responsible for my turbo-nerdery and Im glad for that.

e: well gently caress he just called and has congestive heart failure. Dr isnt real hopeful and my uncle sounded real down on the phone :(

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 4, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Welp, had a second phone interview for a job I KNEW I nailed. It's an hour after I was supposed to get a call, and... crickets. They kept telling me over and over, pounding it into my head, that it was scheduled for EASTERN time, but we're well past the time if it'd been eastern or central.

Online it still shows I have an interview "in progress".

shy boy from chess club posted:

e: well gently caress he just called and has congestive heart failure. Dr isnt real hopeful and my uncle sounded real down on the phone :(

Big oof. Sorry man. FWIW people can go a long time with congestive heart failure; my stepdad has been living with it for several years, somehow.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

STR posted:

Welp, had a second phone interview for a job I KNEW I nailed. It's an hour after I was supposed to get a call, and... crickets. They kept telling me over and over, pounding it into my head, that it was scheduled for EASTERN time, but we're well past the time if it'd been eastern or central.

Big oof. Sorry man. FWIW people can go a long time with congestive heart failure; my stepdad has been living with it for several years, somehow.

Oh poo poo good luck with that!

Yea I never knew you could live with it too but hes already had it a few years ago and I think thats why the dr says its not good this time, ugh

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

That battery isn't even very old, right? My money is on one of the amps not turning off.

Yeah, bought it during the Snowpacolypse, so just over 2 years old. Previously showed no signs of ill health.

quote:

e: oh cool my neighbor is brap brapping his new G35 to hell and back right outside my window. I can usually tolerate his car stuff (even if it's stuff like a mid 00s Corolla with a fart pipe most of the time), but this thing sounds like it has a 2 step on it. Even when I had riced out cars, I didn't blap blap blap pop in neighborhoods and especially not in my apartment parking lot :argh:

Not cool.

edit:

STR posted:

Companies do poo poo like this and then complain that nO oNe WaNtS tO wOrK!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, bought it during the Snowpacolypse, so just over 2 years old. Previously showed no signs of ill health.

Not cool.

edit:

Companies do poo poo like this and then complain that nO oNe WaNtS tO wOrK!

Last time this happened to me, I just stayed alone on the call link they sent me for 45 minutes before anyone else showed up. Only 1 of the 3 interviewers showed up, barely asked any questions, and by the time it got to 50 minutes after our scheduled interview time, he had to drop out of the call

Why did I even have an interview scheduled if no one besides me could make it? We could've rescheduled, I was unemployed, I had time

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Apparently the key to Tesla HR noticing you quit over a month ago is to mention it on SA; forgot to remove Intune Company Portal from my phone, my phone got remotely wiped while I was eating dinner. :fuckoff: Trying to log in to anything related to Tesla just shows invalid login now. I'm assuming my medical is still good through the end of the week, since that's the kind of thing that goes by pay cycle (and it's the only company-related thing I can still log in to, I assume only because it doesn't rely on SSO).

Thank you Tesla, for wiping my main 2FA app (and thus my access to over 50 things). Luckily I'm a paranoid rear end in a top hat and keep at least 1 backup device around, along with printed 2FA codes for the Really Important Stuff (though those are in my safe deposit box), just gonna take a bit to recover all of that. Never ever use a personal device for company poo poo; the only reason I did was I was assured Intune could only wipe company-related poo poo.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 5, 2023

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What the hell, like, it wiped the whole thing? Including address book and photo album? I'd be ripshit.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I had something like that happen once with a personal phone that had company stuff on it. Only time it will ever happen. Basically locked it and reported it stolen despite it being my personal phone I purchased and paid the plan for. I wasn’t even quitting for another week :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

What the hell, like, it wiped the whole thing? Including address book and photo album? I'd be ripshit.

Everything is backed up aside from 2FA tokens, so it's an annoyance more than "gently caress". Highly annoyed that I have to go up to the bank to get my printed backup 2FA codes tomorrow, but it just means I can't use any Google features on my primary account until tomorrow morning. My PC is still logged in too, it's just the phone that can't access my Google account.

I'm sure I'm making plenty of IT types cringe, but my phone book is saved to Google, photos are backed up to Google Photos, most apps are backed up to Google Drive. Only a few people even have my real #; everyone gets a parked phone # that forwards to this one.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 5, 2023

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This is why you always do 2 phones.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Nothing huge wrong with using Google for that, relatively speaking. I do…

Letting MDM into my personal device tho? That’s a no from me dawg.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

This is why you always do 2 phones.

This.

No work poo poo on personal devices.
No personal poo poo on work devices.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

cursedshitbox posted:

This.

As a self employed person, I don't follow this, but I certainly did when I worked for a MIC contractor.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

STR posted:

Every VQ should be melted down.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Godzilla07 posted:

Melt them down and make more VG30DETT? Ok.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Godzilla07 posted:

:hmmyes:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cursedshitbox posted:

This.

MDM was my bread and butter for a while and I ABSOLUTELY would not let us put it on personal devices. I personally explained the risks to every individual until there was so much push back the company had to buy 200 cell phones.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i have to take photos at work occasionally for my job and the cameras we got to "check out" were so bad (circa 2014? powershots) that i put in a request for an iphone just so i could take decent photos

pennywise pound foolish rear end corporations

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

This.

Yup. I'm in infosec, I know exactly how much visibility my coworkers have to company assets.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Door Frame posted:

Last time this happened to me, I just stayed alone on the call link they sent me for 45 minutes before anyone else showed up. Only 1 of the 3 interviewers showed up, barely asked any questions, and by the time it got to 50 minutes after our scheduled interview time, he had to drop out of the call

Why did I even have an interview scheduled if no one besides me could make it? We could've rescheduled, I was unemployed, I had time

That's super unprofessional, if they're not going to respect people's time before they're even hired there's 0 chance they will afterwards. If I'm interviewing someone I'm on time to the minute, doesn't matter what else is going on.

kastein posted:

Also this.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Work got pissy I denied all permissions to the clocking in app they wanted us to have, on the basis of they didn't have access to location they couldn't tell if I clocked in while driving to work. But if they have location permissions they can see all my location history which just no. Give me a company phone or get hosed. I won't install teams or outlook either and same deal.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

cursedshitbox posted:

This.

I blew up about having to have a vendors special snowflake 2FA on my personal phone. I was vocal enough for Samsung to send me one thats entire job is to sit there next to my desk for me to push 'ok' a few times a day/week. No apps other than their 2FA, and no local network. they pay a monthly contract for this thing. I've almost considered swapping it out and I get the good phone for personal use but who knows what backend poo poo Samsung have put onto their own corporate fleet devices.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I put the work SIM in my iPhone day 1, tossed the work phone to drawer and just once in a moon update it so the intune / IT won't get mad at me or the battery won't die, swell and explode. The only thing that's on my phone that's work related is a daily 2FA SMS. A tiny dumb phone could handle that.

Applied for a new job and they said they'd contact me yesterday for next round of interviews and they never did. It was super interesting senior DevOps poo poo. I guess I didn't impress them, wrong cloud vendor (I only know private cloud/generic k8s well, not AWS specific things which don't seem that complicated)

Wife got us a new kitten. It's super fun but getting annoying at times.

Kitchen reno is also under way but progress has been slow since the contractor has vacation this week and plumber and electricians are only available next week.

E: also stop saying you have a phone benefit on the job ad if it's lovely huge bottom barrel Android phone that's locked with management apps, it's a tool.

Kivi fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 5, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Kivi posted:

Wife got us a new kitten. It's super fun but getting annoying at times.

And no pics?!?!

Nth'ing NEVER EVER let your personal devices touch a corporate network. Either they pay for your device or just gently caress off, do not in any way let people like me as the person setting up that access have any type of control over your personal device.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I guess Tesla did me a bit of a favor by waiting so long to finally mark me as gone. They emailed the official separation paperwork last night (to my personal email, my work email is now gone). All of my benefits are paid until the end of the month, which is pretty nice to have - the medical is drat good for the most part, and I can go ahead and get another pair of glasses.

Supposedly they're paying out PTO as well, though I didn't have much. That means another tax form to deal with next year. :sigh: I just looked at my hiring bonus (which I won't ever get), which was, at the time, $6,000 of TSLA stock. It's worth $2700 now. :laffo: I wouldn't have been able to touch it for another 3 1/2 years anyway.

The Door Frame posted:

That's the thing - there was no call link. They were supposed to call me.

Pretty unprofessional. I logged into the candidate portal and it still shows my scheduled time, double checked that the phone # was correct too. There is a phone # in the email confirmation, but it just plays a recording stating I need to reach out to my recruiter (I've never talked to one - I'm sure I have one, but I have no idea who it is).

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

MDM was my bread and butter for a while and I ABSOLUTELY would not let us put it on personal devices. I personally explained the risks to every individual until there was so much push back the company had to buy 200 cell phones.

That's how Tesla rolls, they don't provide phones to anybody except top management. I should have just taken my old Nokia brick with me on my first day.. "uh, you want me to keep outlook and teams on my phone? I have snake..... can you show me how to install that stuff on this thing? It's kinda old". I can still pop a SIM card into it and it'll work, but only on T-Mobile - everyone else has shut off 2G.

Humphreys posted:

I blew up about having to have a vendors special snowflake 2FA on my personal phone.

They wanted Microsoft Authenticator, but in the SSO options I was able to find an option to use any authenticator app. Also, MS Authenticator can send my location - more convenient in that it pops up "are you trying to sign in? what's the 2 digit # shown by SSO?" when I try to sign in, but I don't like the location bit. It seemed to use your IP to do location lookup too, so it'd always get confused by me normally being on a VPN.

That's funny that they sent a phone though. Why not send a hardware token?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 5, 2023

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

STR posted:

I had this at my old work - if it's just a couple of holdouts then it's easier to send a phone than muck about with tokens.

At my new work I do have 2FA and a payroll app on my personal phone but wouldn't install any MDM or even Teams/Outlook.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dissss posted:

I had this at my old work - if it's just a couple of holdouts then it's easier to send a phone than muck about with tokens.

At my new work I do have 2FA and a payroll app on my personal phone but wouldn't install any MDM or even Teams/Outlook.

Ditto. I have Teams, Outlook, the expense app, and DUO on my phone. I made sure there was no MDM. I think they tried to do that a few years back and *royally* pissed people off when it enforced an 8+ character alphanumeric passcode (AKA, a password) on their phone. Or maybe that was my previous job. I uninstalled their crap instantly when that happened. My phone, gently caress you.
I just ignore all company apps after hours, and thankfully my boss isn't the type to even try. If that changes, the apps will get logged out at the end of the day.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I managed to get around most of the MDM security poo poo by using a fingerprint as my primary way of unlocking my phone. But I have an unlocked bootloader + rooted phone, with Magisk and other stuff helping to hide that. I suspect that's probably why my phone got wiped instead of the typical removal of work-related info you usually get with Outlook+Teams+Intune.

Next job that pulls that poo poo gets to deal with me only having a 3595 or similar. The drat thing STILL works, on the original battery even, though the only network it'll ever work on (and that network's time is limited) is T-Mobile's EDGE.

EDIT: the company that ghosted me yesterday called me a few minutes ago and did an impromptu phone interview. Exactly 24 hours late, and I wasn't exactly ready to do a phone interview at the drop of a hat - I'm sure some answers were cringeworthy. At least they apologized, said they're not sure who's calendar I was on, but they'd try to follow up to see what happened (large company, 30k employees nationwide - and no I don't believe for a moment they'll really try to figure out what happened). Have an in-person interview about a half hour away next week. Downside is it'll take 90 days for benefits to start (and doing COBRA to continue my benefits from Tesla is $1500/month, loving ouch), so I'll have to do an ACA plan for a couple of months if/when I get hired. Upside is take-home vehicle and company issued phone that I can turn off unless I'm on call.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 5, 2023

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

STR posted:

It's Samsung. If you only knew the level of dumbfuckery that goes on inside you would be surprised they actually ever get a product to market. It's the people not the products that is the main problem.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

CAT INTERCEPTOR told me to post here to get a Boon Supremacy gang tag.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about cars.

Although I did once replace both rear light assemblies on a VW Golf for my friend once, so perhaps I know more than I think!

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And no pics?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Goon posted:

Although I did once replace both rear light assemblies on a VW Golf for my friend once, so perhaps I know more than I think!

Whoa, let's not get carried away, Jeremy

:v: Welcome to AI.