Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

God of Wario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Hwurmp posted:

God of Wario

I'm in if toby ziegler is

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
sekiro is a souls game or at least extremely adjacent unless your criteria for that signifier is 'rpg stat points'

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Sekiro is a more refined Souls combat. It is good like Elden Ring's.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sekiro is a metroidvania. Change my view

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

External Organs posted:

I'm in if toby ziegler is

Christopher Judge as Wario

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

stev posted:

Eh Sekiro's a souls game in most ways excluding the actual combat. It sounds like AC will be mission based like the other games so it probably won't share much DNA.
I think From and Miyazaki could pull off a literal mission-based Souls game if they wanted. The things that make their games feel that way isn't just the obvious stuff like specific RPG elements, pacing of combat, or structure of the world, but all the little things (even the minute details) around player movement, camera, animations, sounds, dialogue, etc. In the same way that another company trying their hardest to emulate a Souls game from the ground up is still doomed not to feel exactly like a Souls game, I think From applying everything they've learned over the past 15 years to a wildly different concept is doomed not to feel completely unlike a Souls game.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the truth is that Demon's Souls had a bunch of Armored Core DNA in it. AC6 being like a souls game is to be expected

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

the truth is that Demon's Souls had a bunch of Armored Core DNA in it. AC6 being like a souls game is to be expected

Relatedly, Armored Core had the equivalent of poison swamp levels since AC1

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My current GOTY is FFX-2. This game is utterly delightful!
One of the most non fantasy based soundtracks ever!

Basically a whole game of that jazz funky interlude from FFVIIremake Intergrade. :3:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
FFX-2 is absolutely goated. I've posted it before and will do so again but: outside of maybe the MMO X/X-2 taken as a unit is the strongest final fantasy entry

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gripweed posted:

What will be your GotY 2023?

prolly armored core, but let's see if either of the FF games puts up a fight

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Miyazaki literally had to tell IGN like five times in one interview that it's not a Souls game it's an Armored Core game

This was good entertainment.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I need to revisit FFX-2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This was good entertainment.

They should put an AC in that's just literally the Pursuer from Dark Souls 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've got a bunch of games to play this year...

in terms of what's in front of me right now, there's Atelier Sophie 2, Nuclear Blaze, Ato, Ender Lilies, Forged in Shadow Torch, Lingo, C.A.R.L., and whatever I get in Steam Sale

and then... the BIG LIST:

Bayonetta, Black Book, Bug Fables, Crash Bandicoot 2 & 3, Darksiders all of it, Death Stranding, Hellpoint, Hitman 1 & 2, Hollow Knight, Ikenfell, Injustice, Katana Zero, Metro Exodus, Mutant Year Zero, Not for Broadcast, Overload, Rain World, Resident Evil 6, Samorost 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Shadow Tactics, Slay the Spire, Sleeping Dogs, Soul Reaver 1 & 2, Stardew Valley (year 2), Streets of Rogue, Tales of Berseria, The Banner Saga, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Way of the Samurai 3, Hypnagogia, ZeroRanger, Battle Chef Brigade, Steamworld Quest, Gedonia, Sherlock Holmes Chapter One, Troubleshooter

and then these games that'll hit 1.0 this year: Blood West, Viscerafest, HROT, Dread Templar, Wrath Aeon of Ruin, Vibrant Venture, Swords and Magic and Stuff, mayyyybe Satisfactory, My Time at Sandrock

and then these games that'll be on Gamepass: Cocoon, Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, Ereban: Shadow Legacy, Lies of P, Ravenlok, Replaced, Silksong, Starfield, The Last Case of Benedict Fox, Thirsty Suitors, Atomic Heart, Wo Long

and then these games that'll be on Gamefly: Asterigos, River City Girls 2, Octopath Traveler 2, Clive N Wrench, Trails to Azure, Exophobia, Scars Above, Raincode

and something like 100 games on my wishlist that don't have a specific date yet......

will be a good gaming year again

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
This video game came out a week and a half ago and it looks really nice: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1031460/Sail_Forth/

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

My game of the year is going to be STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl if when it comes out. My hope is because they're allowing pre-orders it's def coming out this year.

Fingers crossed.

yes I already pre-ordered it. give GSC money!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

Darksiders all of it,

So straight up, I love Darksiders as a series but just, just don't play 2. Don't waste your time with it. People agree it's bad but actually it's far worse, actual trash fire tier and not the kind you want to hang around.

1, 3, and Genesis are all amazing, though if you can grab a friend Genesis I highly recommend playing it co-op.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My big hope for gaming this year is that the Steam Deck gets released in Australia.

My gaming resolution for the year is to write more about the games that I play.

I suspect I'm going to play a lot of RPGs this year as more and more of them creep into my backlog, and also Baldur's Gate 3 is releasing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i still think the steam deck looks very unwieldy to actually play but I've come to the uncomfortable realization that getting one would let me play way more cool indie games that i really wish would hurry up and come to switch

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looper posted:

i still think the steam deck looks very unwieldy to actually play but I've come to the uncomfortable realization that getting one would let me play way more cool indie games that i really wish would hurry up and come to switch

It actually feels very nice to hold and play, though it is heavier than the Switch.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the average goon has caveman hands, I'm sorry but i cannot trust you

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

I need to revisit FFX-2.

it's a genuinely pretty good game that suffers in some places from being a followup to FFX with how diametrically opposite it is both tonally and gameplay-wise

i do think a lot of the thematic elements fit well with it being a post-sin spira, and i'm not sure a different setting would've been able to hit the same notes, but it creates some strange whiplash if you go from "reasonably serious story of loss and sacrifice" to "lighthearted j-pop globetrotting adventure" immediately. i think playing FFX and then playing FFX-2 with a couple months removed is the best way to do it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I don't own a deck but when I first held it I was astounded at how good it felt compared with how huge it looks in a screenshot, aside from the bumpers, but the triggers are pretty great.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Anybody with small dainty hands have any deck impressions? Like Looper I notice that most people around here have meaty hands that could crush mine in a standard handshake

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yo

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Happy New Year Games chat!! :D

I am currently playing Days Gone and enjoying the story so far. The facial animations in the cutscenes are really good!

I am so hyped for AC6! I have never played an Armored Core and am hoping to play the PS1 games sometime this year on my Deck. Always trust From.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hatty posted:

Anybody with small dainty hands have any deck impressions? Like Looper I notice that most people around here have meaty hands that could crush mine in a standard handshake

Take my post as a post from a small-hand-haver.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've got small girl hands with short fingers and I find the Deck very easy to hold and play. It sits much more easily in the hands than the Switch and there's no discomfort about reaching any buttons or anything. I was honestly surprised.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Deck feels great to hold and I think my hands are real average size. Definitely more comfortable than the Switch despite the extra weight

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm still working from home a lot, and most of my gaming is at the same desk that I work at.
The big appeal of the Steam Deck for me is to be able to still play a bunch of PC titles but to do it on the couch away from my workspace.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
thank you everybody 🙏

Mode 7 posted:

I'm still working from home a lot, and most of my gaming is at the same desk that I work at.
The big appeal of the Steam Deck for me is to be able to still play a bunch of PC titles but to do it on the couch away from my workspace.

yeah this is the main reason i have like zero interest in a gaming pc

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

just bought a tv stand with led lights on the glass shelves

it was on strong markdown i'm a true gamer now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

2023 already feels like it has several releases that'll have big GOTY heat as opposed to 2022, which was kinda just Elden Ring until God of War came along in November.

You got Zelda, Armored Core, Street Fighter, Diablo, Final Fantasies XVI and VII Rebirth, Pikmin, Spider-Man, maybe even Silksong

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mix. posted:

just bought a tv stand with led lights on the glass shelves

it was on strong markdown i'm a true gamer now

i bought a new keyboard and it's got literal rainbow LED gamer lights underneath the keys, and i cannot be bothered to hit up the BIOS to disable them

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I tried PC gaming for five years and I don’t think I liked it very much, I liked building it much better than actually using it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to be excited for Diablo IV, but it's $70 - $100 on top of a battle pass and cash shop. They are going all in on the fear of missing out cosmetics, and it's super exploitative and really ruins any excitement I would normally have about Diablo. Why can't I just buy a game and get all of the content right then and there? Why does this need to be a Games as a Service title? I just want to buy it, and then buy a story expansion once a year or two that adds new classes.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
No way armored core comes out this year

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Still not giving a cent more to Blizzard over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There are rumors of a Horizon Zero Dawn remake being in development

Sony has three games.