Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
was about to post i dont know what game to be the first of 2023, but then i already had MagicArena open with a match going and now im wondering if that even counts. its not a game so much as it is chores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's a game in the arcade in Judgement or maybe Yakuza 2 or 3. Forget the name of it, but you pick from 8 robots and then duke it out in an arena. The controls are awkward, the arenas are weird, the gameplay isn't very fun, and the mechs look really cool. I assume armoured core is like that with better graphics

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

There are rumors of a Horizon Zero Dawn remake being in development

Sony has three games.

lol this game is still one of the best looking out there. this is as goofy and unnecessary as the witcher 3 upgrade

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ship of Harkinian is an awesome port, I was just assuming I would need to futz with it to get it to recognize my ps5 controller or to tweak this or that but it comes fully loaded with everything you'd want and more. I tweaked the controls a little bit, and then was wondering if I could easily swap controls for playing ocarina and they just had the option to switch to alt controls there automatically, dpad works perfectly for that. Also little gameplay tweaks and QOL options, goofy cosmetics and changing your tunic to whatever, built-in cheats/save editor. I haven't beaten Master Quest so the dungeons are all new to me, and I have myself the mask of truth so I could read the gossip stones as I found them rather than near the end of the game when I don't need to go anywhere anymore.

I love how well it does creating atmosphere and the feeling of this large magical world using just blurry texture walls and and lumpy objects. I will say I'm not scared of the mummies or redead anymore, they're more annoying than terrifying now. The wolfos and lizalfos fights were always fun fights to me as a kid but now that I know the terrible secret of crouchstab it's funny how fast they die.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

conversely watch some play throughs of prime 1 and 2 the other day and you could really tell how muc hthey'd benefit from some modern hardware and graphic tech. they made do but you can tell their vision exceeded what the contemporary hardware could muster.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

External Organs posted:

Incredible games though, drat.

Yeah, I almost stopped watching to play it myself but I remembered last time I tried I got annoyed with the controls, too spoiled by modern controller standards, but it's still a really slick game, music and sound design is incredible and they really had a ton of amazing environments and art despite the limitations.

Waffleman_ posted:

When Samus' visor is affected by interference, they wanted a static effect, but they didn't have enough space for a full screen texture and if they had done a lower resolution one it would have been all blurry, so what they did was they just rendered the actual code of the game and used the machine code as a static noise texture.

It's awesome what they were able to pull off, but there's a ton of spots where things would just pop so much more if there were realistic lighting for dark spaces and the contrast of subtly glowing lights hinting at the form of areas shrouded in darkness. Or like her gun, the frost mode was cool using just white gradients but drat we can really do some incredible cold and frost effects these days. Especially since the game is also secretly hosed-up Pokemon Snap with you scanning the whole bestiary, hoping if the new Prime ever comes out they lean into what made the originals so great. guess I should tempter my graphic expectations since it's Switch

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

So did Cyberpunk end up being good in the end after all the patches?

Thinking about grabbing it with a Xmas card

it was fun at launch on PC. its a fun janky rpg from the joint what made the janky witcher games. stick with the prod or punches, no guns

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The nice thing about working from home is no one has blocked me in Cask of Amontillado style

in some places this style of room and board is the only affordable option left

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
playstation standers losing their loving minds itt confronted with the horizontal needs of their shameful device

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you should put exclusives under your horizontal consoles, to raise them up and visually establish the hierarchy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
there's also a lot of gangs around and it's not like adults always just let random kids handle them, we just don't see it on game adventures

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

VS always gives me a.. if not exactly a headache the feeling that I should probably go outside and get some fresh air after I've been playing it for a bit. Maybe it's concentrating intently at a single point on the screen or something I dunno.

i played that game a week or two ago after making a joke about how it's like old flash games and needed to actually try it myself to see if I was off base or not and was briefly worried I'd get sucked into the game forever. Looks like I blew 7 hours on it, but I've managed to not binge on it since. Had some weird VS dreams that night and since then have been clean. Nice try, pavlov.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what does the third mario brother look like

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

hahaha perfect

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
just come play Magic, it's outrageously expensive, involves shady needless gambling, you have to be your own dealer and shuffler, is wildly complicated, involves storage logistics problems, and is ran by a comically greedy corporation desperately trying to maximize how much they exploit players.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lands as far as the eye can see but not a spell to cast

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I was enjoying the tutorial of the one on PC (not Arena) but then I hit the Blue tutorial and got my poo poo wrecked

blue is the "stop you from doing stuff" class but some of the stuff ppl get up to is nuts so u eventually appreciate it for being the hall monitor

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
play the new games before they start to spoil

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
does xbox gamespass just refuse to recognize the ps5 controller? guess i just havent tried any controller-games on gamespass yet but decided to try hitman for the first time and it's just not recognizing my controller is on and connected, even when plugged in. not gonna go dig up my driftnig rear end xbox controller so gonna have to do some pc tricks instead. bloc kthat fuckin merger bc these dipshits cant even improve when steam beats their rear end on their own operating system, that steam doesnt even want to be on.

pretty sad an unofficial ocarina of time pc port manages to support a dualsense with no problem first launch but im over here telling windows to chill out and install a file from github to play a drat xbox game on the xbox app on pc with my pc controller

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 10, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
im imagining it but idk what dantbm mod is so its just a blank youtube page in my head

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTg2y7ky9Hw

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i feel bad but i think hitman is kinda fun? i keep thinkin maybe i got it figured out and had my fill but then want to play again the next night

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HopperUK posted:

You can't just come in here and enjoy a game

well i mean i feel bad about these people i'm killing. I usually try to avoid killing people in games. and i dont feel bad about the targets, so far they've all been evil rich folks happy to take out but all these other people. workers i'm choking out to steal their clothes. people im just walking into rooms and throwing wrenches at their head because I know I can get away with it if nobody is looking. every time ive been given a sword I just start chopping people wildly. or i got this exploding golf ball once and just kept reloading to throw it at different people or crowds to see what happened and i don't even like golf

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

hatty posted:

Hey pocket buddy!

I like it better than every third party handheld I've used like the Anbernic and Retroid stuff

this thing looks really cool but for 200+ bucks does it let you play ROMs, this bottom disclaimer makes it sound like only carts can play and i dont wanna dig up my carts. is the no-ROM thing a legal disclaimer and u can just go flip a switch and load em up or do they really not want roms on it at all?

apparently super easy to get goin

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 13, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
so the Hitman 3 on Gamespass is just Hitmans 1-3 remastered, right? Or are there hitmanii before it, I can't tell if the mysterious past and characters they keep mentioning are from past games, or if they are supposed to be vague and mysterious to preserve the mystery of why this psychopath exists and does what the does.

I'm still in the Hitman 1 story part of the menu and the new levels keep surprising me, wasn't expectnig to be in some weird redneck colorado base and next up I'm in some dystopian luxury hotel in hokkaido wearing kimono and being watched by an AI. I liked the Colorado level but was starting to feel like a routine, maybe slightly more complicated costume switching sequences, but this next level is mixing things up it seems. Do the games keep adding new complexities and AI behaviour or is what I'm doing now basically what I'll be doing but with new levels?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

If your mecha is just Human but bigger then the creators have totally failed creatively. Mecha offers all the freedom in the world to create and design unique and interesting encounters and battles. Combiners, transformers, coopiloted units, stealth units, BioMechanical, Magical, Remote Weaponry, Drones, Putting your robot inside a giant wheel to revive the ancient tradition of driving.

naw if your mecha isn't humanoid it's not a mecha it's just some military tech

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hitman is still good and cool but sometimes it's a bit of a let down when they build these massive set pieces and complicated scenarios and stuff, but the simulation doesn't account for even main-story intended events. Biggest example is this racetrack level, big arena and the two targets are a father and daughter, the daughter is a racer actively racing. You can sabotage her car, or just shoot her on the track, or place a remote explosive mine on her car and explode it.

The problem is, the game doesn't care. You blow her up, shoot her up, whatever, she dies, and the race goes on, the ceremonies go one without mention of her death, the medical staff seem to still be expecting a check-up after, the pit-crew staff who would likely be held responsible are a bit freaked it for a second but then go back to work. The dad doesn't seem to care or notice, doesn't skip a beat in his routine. Why are they even related in the story on this map since they don't interact or need any blood contrivance to have them both there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

They did say that the two have a very strained relationship (one guy at the lounge claims that the daughter secretly worked at her dad's company for years and the latter only found out during the meeting appointing her at CFO...and instead of being shocked or proud, he simply told her "don't screw this up"). You can also trick Robert into killing Sierra himself. While that video cuts him off right before he says it, he pretty much immediately gets over his shock by assuming (technically correctly) that Providence is getting back at him for defecting and promising to be loyal from now on. So he's basically just a sociopath. Just like Musk, whom he's clearly based on.

fair enough. in that case, i would accept the announcer's being like "oh big sad about turn left sally" and that maybe if you stick around after the accident you get a stern reprimand

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
For a while I was compulsively taking screenshots of every framed painting I encountered in games. Thought it might be interesting to get a bunch and have a gallery of fake paintings, maybe even find out who actually painted it or any other info about it.

I stopped because I went and looked over my screenshots, those that I could actually find, and I am not a screenshot guy either, evidently. I never bothered to install a mod or use a console command to noclip for better angles, or hide the model of PC so you can see the whole art. I was lucky to take multiple screenshots I could theoretically kinda stitch together removing batman or whoever in photoshop. and even in games with a proper camera mode, it was 80/20 on whether I'd just mash f12/prtsc or actually take a proper photo mode pic.

so really I just have an unusual amount of screenshots of the player character awkwardly in frame with the camera mostly pointing at a wall.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
in Judgement you can take a selfie with your dates, and you can frame the camera to crop them out and just have Yagami looking miserable and they're all so excited to get texted a copy that will never come. Yagami is a monster who is only using them for their completion lists.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Green Knight was the best movie to fall asleep in the theatre and wake up to a fever dream I saw this year. The Menu was the best movie I saw today, finally a movie about how rich people suck and there are actually consequences instead of gentle ennui.

also The Menu would be a great Hitman level that plays itself.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i played nier and toggled some setting this person or the game was like "nooo dont ever pick this setting" and I kinda lost interest before I ever found out if I ever hosed something up or that was exactly what you're supposed to do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i got to the part of hitman 3/ hitman 2 where it prompts me to buy the hitman 2 dlc. its like 30 bucks, so i was like, hmm how much to just buy everything in one go on steam instead of snowballing dlc onto gamespass title that'll roll out eventually. expected it to be a big chunk since i'd be rebuying the entire game/trilogy, but lol i couldnt even tell what the hell to buy to do the math. there's helpfully a review that explains what all to buy to get "pretty much everything" and it involves buying two hitman games from before the reboot/remake trilogy, because that gets you more of the games than buying the dlc meant to be the old games' content somehow. i know this isnt new bs but i didnt play hitman until recently so kinda didn't grasp the annoyance at launch.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 18, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hah, so the same 30 bucks for hitman 2 dlc will soon get the same as the current deluxe dlc bundle. but looks like the hitman 2 expansion dlc is the only thing that actually adds new maps anyway

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
in the first dark souls you can choose to fall off the level and then respawn and do it again and again and a lot of people who ended up doing that just quit the game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
them rings and that like weird poo poo in a napkin

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do Nintendo games ever get an options menu?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Glaive has some fantastic legendary weapons in Kingmaker, really good weapon for many builds.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh whoops I wasn't thinking of fauchards in Kingmaker. I kinda lump all the spears with scarier hats in a group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

the audio narration says red looks like donkey kong and kitty like trixie kong