Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my computer broke which busted me out of my dwarf fortress addiction, so I've been playing tunic

pretty good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HopperUK posted:

If you want the DF gangtag in memory of your expired computer, let me know

nah I'm good, the new computer arrives tomorrow and I'll be back to getting dwarves killed with hubris very soon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fridge corn posted:

Just finished Valkyrie Profile. What an absolutely incredible game

highly recommend Valkyrie Profile 2: SIlmeria

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

is it playable now

what

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

it’s notoriously one of the hardest games to emulate, I last tried it a few years back and there was still serious graphics corruption everywhere

Oh that's what you meant

No idea

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
thats why they have rocket punches and beam swords instead of suplexing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

VP Silmeria is gorgeous for a PS2 game, absolutely stunning, and getting hands on a copy doesn't cost that much. The gameplay itself is such a mixed bag. I love that they kept the towns/dungeons on a 2D plane which makes it feel very unique, but the 3D plane for the battle system takes what was once very strategic and fun in VP1 and makes it painfully tedious. VP2's characters are also written in an extremely uninteresting way and there are far too few of them. An interesting sequel that kind of loses the plot.

the battle system owns and the characters are good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
honestly kind of baffled at the specific claim that VP2's combat is less strategic tha VP1

like liking it less, sure, that's just taste, but it's inarguably more strategic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I didn't feel like the move to a grid positively affected what had essentially become brawler mechanics, it just made every battle feel like the same dash exploit, but this time on a per enemy basis. It trivialized guardcrush, which was formerly a very interesting mechanic. An interesting attempt tho, certainly more creative than what Square was up to at the time.

guard break in VP1 just means pressing the mage button first

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Roman aesthetics are insanely cool and too-online people just going "oh okay thinking Rome is cool is fascist now" when fascists try to claim it is a stunning indictment of internet discourse

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Marble is cool imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

External Organs posted:

Wait, Rosalina is unlockable in 3D World?? How!

you get her right when you start the postgame

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
slowly turning zelda into dwarf fortress adventure mode

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm happy to report that fire emblem engage is goty and you can just read books or watch movies for the rest of 2023 instead of trying to find a better video game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I would simply have already played every existing FE game at least twice, and usually 4+ times

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

Playing Bully has made me appreciate the concept of a game where you have certain activities more or less regimented by time.

It made me think another concept that could be cool in that vein would be a prison break game. You have certain activities (meals/yard time/work time) regimented to you and you have to work at breaking out in the fringes of the time available to you.

In general there are very few games set in prisons. I'm blanking on that one bizarre one that was made by the guy that also did a Jesus game.

if you enjoy time management I recommend atelier

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"..." is common in video games because they, uniquely among mediums I can think of, are dialogue-only while, for much of their history, not having voicing. In a book, if you want to say a character paused without saying something, you can just say that, in non-dialogue prose. In a movie, you can just depict it. But in an SNES-era game, your options for conveying that sort of thing are limited. Hence "..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

bone emulator posted:

What's up with February? Why is it spelled like that? Weird!

it's named after the Roman festival of Februa, which was held during that month