Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

What is this thing?

Dungeon23's a low-pressure writing/design challenge started on twitter but doable anywhere:

quote:

write one RPG thing—one dungeon room, one magic item, one cyberpunk city block, one island etc.—every day of 2023 (edit: you can start whenever you want, there's no such thing as "missing the start" of this challenge—if you read this thread in e.g. June and you think it looks interesting then you can start in June)
There's no upper or lower wordcount, things can be as big or small/high or low effort as you want, the point's just to make something every day (and it's up to you to decide whether you skip days you miss, or catch up by doing 2 things the next day or whatever). Some people are updating once a day, others once a week or month; you can also join mid-way through the year.

People've come up with variations on the dungeoncrawl theme, for anyone who's not into that. Here's what I've seen so far:
  • Dungeon23: the original, a classic fantasy megadungeon
  • Facility23: a sci-fi megadungeon
  • Space23: any kind of outer-space stuff, whether megadungeons or encounters or planets or spaceships or whatever
  • City23: people, places, etc. in some kinda city
  • Archipelago23: islands, sky islands, "points of light", any kinda stable points in an uncertain world
  • Mall23: cyberpunk mall mapping
  • Horror23
  • Conspiracy23
  • Suburb23
  • Hex23
  • NPC23
  • Worldbuilding23
I've also seen people talking about doing magic items, NPCs, or other stuff, and also talking about using the challenge as motivation to do other small stuff they've gotta do that won't take a whole year. You can come up with your own challenge and name it whatever you want!

Personally I'm doing Archipelago23.

Where can I talk about this stuff?

This thread here, but if you're on twitter you can use any of the hashtags (just the name of the challenge, so #dungeon23 or #space23 or whatever) and there's a Dungeon23 Jam on itch.io, where you make a project for your whole year, enter it into the jam, and add to it every day/week/month. That jam's also got a bunch of tools and planners and stuff people have made and shared for the challenge.

There's really no pressure. A bunch of people on twitter have already gone overboard and already started the challenge in late 2022 or started doing in-depth art and stuff, but the point isn't to compare what you're doing to anyone else, just to your own goal. If you write something really in-depth or that you feel's really inspired one day and the next you write some basic 1-sentence thing, you still met the challenge both those days. The point is that at the end of 2023 you can look back and see (up to) 365 individual things you made, some of which will probably be pretty good.

This thread's for posting daily/weekly/monthly entries, sharing tools, and talking about the challenge.

Who else is doing it?

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing
I've seen worldbuilding23 and hex23 used frequently online, if we're looking for more to add to the OP.

Archipelago23 or NPC23 would fit my project best, because I'm using npcs as anchors to explore different facets of an archipelago world. I probably won't be posting it here because I'm not writing it to use for a tabletop game. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's though!

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
I'm choosing to view my hubris as ambition and use the Dungeon23 approach to help me hammer out the skeletons of 12 adventures for 6 game systems over the year. Then I'm hoping to flesh out and revise what I have at the end to see which, if any, might be good enough to publish.

I did some prep work to get some themes, general settings, and structures for each adventure, and each day I aim to write something like an area, an encounter, an NPC, etc. to add to one of them.

The systems I'm trying this for are:
  • OSE
  • Mothership
  • Mork Borg
  • Trophy Gold
  • CY_BORG
  • VERSE

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This is a really fun idea, I'd love to give it a try - there's something great about achieving a lot by little steps.

Why 23 though? A lot of indie wargames use 28 because that's the scale.

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing

moths posted:

Why 23 though?
The 23 is because it's happening in 2023. So next year it would be dungeon24, and then dungeon25, etc. It doesn't have any effect on the challenge itself.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

stellae posted:

I've seen worldbuilding23 and hex23 used frequently online, if we're looking for more to add to the OP.

Archipelago23 or NPC23 would fit my project best, because I'm using npcs as anchors to explore different facets of an archipelago world. I probably won't be posting it here because I'm not writing it to use for a tabletop game. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's though!
Feel free to use the thread anyway if you think posting stuff here regularly might help!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
So I'm doing islands (Archipelago23), but with a twist: I'm making the islands with a WIP generator game I have called Stone Words Walk, which is normally for exploring (post?-)post-apocalyptic monuments. I'm gonna make an island a day, and every week I'm gonna update the rules, hopefully making the game better (flow easier and help me make more interesting stuff). If I get to a point where I'm satisfied with the rules I might move on to another small game I've got going on.

Day 1: Plough Island

(top: Northern aspect; bottom: Eastern aspect)
  • 2: Impression: The Southwest wall of rock casts a deathly shadow over the Eastern bulk of the island, carving a wasteland where no vegetation can grow.
  • 3: Focus: Ruins of a camp. Old white denim canvas tents in the shelter of the wall. Dry, rotted guns. An open crate of bullets, some missing. No bodies.
  • 4: Path: A walk in a lazy circular arc round the shore, banded on one side by cold spray and on the other by leafless, salt-encrusted scrub.
  • 6: Impression: There's no wind here. Not to say there's silence, but all the noise is generated right here, and nothing finds or leaves this place under the wind's power.
  • 10: Focus: Something's caught limply hanging high on the rock: a ragged red flag, once the deep colour of blood and war and honour, now just a pallid scrap.
Reasons to leave: through a hole in the low stratus cloud layer, we spy an eye—gargantuan—directly over the island. Unblinking.

Reasons to return: to climb the wall and recover the flag (if it is a flag); check the camp for logbooks; and scour the island for marks, excavations, or other leftovers from whoever landed here.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
https://twitter.com/SkeletonHero/status/1609644924408066048?s=20

I'm using the Dungeon Year Design Journal by Pandion Games and seeing what I can pull together by using random tables. Trying to remain system agnostic and don't have a specific concept in mind so this will either turn out totally gonzo or surprisingly unified. We'll see. I'm rolling a specific theme for each week and then rolling up a handful of subthemes, appropriate room feature, and room type.

This week's theme is cold.
Today I rolled up the subthemes electrical, paranormal, and 90s Los Angeles with a horror room feature screeching spider and the room type holding cells.

This actually makes for a great starting room for a dungeon, since it gives the adventurers a reason to come together right away. They wake up in an industrial metal prison with electrified bars on the cells. The walkway outside is patrolled by a large mechanical spider kept active by an electric rail in the ceiling. The center of the room opens into a yawning black pit. There is a room at the back housing a large console and some generators that could be sabotaged to depower the spider and cell doors. A stairway on the other end of the room leads down.

Mechanical Spider
An arachnoid automaton the size of a large dog skitters along the ceiling, its old metal joints scraping and screeching as it moves. Sparks fly down every now and then from where a long cable connects it to an electric rail above.
3 HD automaton
24 HP
AC 14 (ascending) or 2 (descending)
Claw attack 1d6 and attempts to grab
Taser web (save vs. paralysis)

Patrols the ceiling in a clockwise route. Has no sensory input except sight directly in front of it but moves quite quickly - sneaking around it is difficult but very possible. When faced with unauthorized personnel it engages them directly, attempting to capture them and put them in a cell rather than kill. It relies on the electric rail above it for power. If the power is cut, it becomes a useless hunk of junk.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I don't know if I see myself doing the whole Dungeon23, but I have to put together a dungeon for the end of January, so let's go.

I abstracted out a 10 room section of a dungeon using the cyclic generation algorithm. The itch page by Sersa Victory really helped outline the dungeon, a node graph editor helped me organize the rooms spatially, and the Mork Borg dungeon generation charts helped me populate ideas for rooms pretty quick.

code:
The Hell Den
Inactive because it was no longer needed (what was it needed for?)
The gate will shut and seal, and not open again until seven days have passed
Heretic cult lead by a possessed 11-year old
Artwork affecting the surroundings

5s  Cracked Sacrificial Altar
11s Stinks
11. Full of Blood
11g Creaking Doors
11k Obvious Traps
8s  Sooty Walls
8.  Abyssal Pits
8g. Fire Damage
8.. Full of Debris
5g  Sooty Walls
The next steps will be to flesh out the particulars, write encounter tables, and draw a map. Are there good tools to use to do this all digitally? I'm currently just working with a google doc, but that seems to be especially bad for map drawing.

https://sersavictory.itch.io/cyclic-dungeon-generation
https://csacademy.com/app/graph_editor/

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
I'm trying Dungeon23. Haven't finalized all the proper nouns yet.

My Notes posted:

Millenia ago, the Ancients harnessed the ground itself in their greatest and most terrible way. They converted their home, the Holy Peak, into a mobile weapon powerful enough to finally slay the Smiling Colossi.

This was the Ancients' last bastion before they fell: the Walking Kingdom.

I've jotted down some general area ideas for levels and a possible node map to connect the levels, but I'm trying not to plan too much. Might try out that cyclic generation thing, it seems neat.

I'll do a little bit of worldbuilding each week using question prompts from The Ground Itself to help inform the place's history and give me lore details to hint at in the room designs. This week, I learned that Queen Stalis ruled the Walking Kingdom through divine right and fear of the enemy; time to discover how that shapes the design of the Lava Exhaust Tunnel.

edit: added an itch page

Detective Eyestorm fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 8, 2023

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Day 2: Seamstress Island

• 1: Focus: In the gully, a rowboat dragged onto shore, stocked with tinned food with indecipherable labels. Meat and fruit, maybe, or coffee grounds—all with dates in an unknown calendar.
  • 3: Path: Rough handholds and swaying ropes lead round the Northwest pinnacle with the blocky concrete tower. Stones along the way are inscribed with suns and eyes.
  • 4: Path: Up the side of the tower lead stairs slick with red moss that's eating through the concrete.
  • 5: Impression: An atmosphere of tenderness, wounded-ness, unresolved grief. A cloying feeling of self-pity.
  • 6: Impression: Except for the squat tower, everything else here is intricate and sharp, leaf and stone alike.
  • 10: Focus: Glass outside one of the tower's windows—it was shattered from inside. A blue, leather-bound book lies some way off, pages wrinkled and aged by sun, wind, and rain.
Reasons to leave: The blue book writhes as we approach and suddenly the whole tower shakes and practically bursts at the seams with books, a tide of flapping pages covered with long-forgotten words desperate to be read—hungry for human touch. We beat a retreat, cutting our hands on the rocks in our haste.

Reasons to return: To ease their pain. To translate them. To know what the people here once knew. Maybe it'll be useful.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

stellae posted:

The 23 is because it's happening in 2023.

That seems incredibly obvious.

Turnip28 and Necropolis28 had me in a different space.

I gave this some thought yesterday, and it seems wild to just do a traditional mega-dungeon, but I think that's where most of my ideas were headed.

System agnostic, but with the aesthetics of Zork's Great Underground Empire, the Dark Tower-verse, or Wizard of Oz.

So everything is a little familiar but kinda wrong. There might be a payphone or a giant mechanical World's Fair display. Some areas may be in black and white.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I think I'm going to revisit a setting I was planning to use for one of the solo monthly things. It was going to be a Souls-esque thing. Oddly enough I guess it's now a bit Elden Ringy?

Here's the intro dug up from the depths of my HDD.

quote:

The Cold Lands
Also known as The Cauldron or The Cold Lands, Forsaken Kulderan was once a golden land home to gods, giants and man. Now it has been abandoned by powers both sacred and profane; the gods are dead or exiled, whilst The Forbidden - horrors from before time - stir in their tombs deep beneath the earth.

When the gods still ruled they gifted portions of their power to chosen servants; these Lords rule now in their stead, the human population gathered to their banners like moths to flames.
Outside the citadels of the Lords are the wilds, a twisted yet majestic land dotted with ruins and the scattered settlements of those refused sanctuary by the Lords.

The tainted power of the Forbidden boils up to the surface infusing those it touches with terrible might. Only the Lords or those granted their power can stand against the beasts, but the Lords are jealous and rarely share their gifts.

But power can always be stolen, both from the Lords and The Forbidden, and there are those who have come to Kulderan seeking to do just that - to slay and consume power, whilst others search the ruins for secrets and treasures of the past.

So basically a series of dungeons and overland areas. Probably a point crawl layout linking dungeons.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I've added everyone's start points to the OP—they all look great so far, feel free to let me know what name/description you want.

anothergod posted:

The next steps will be to flesh out the particulars, write encounter tables, and draw a map. Are there good tools to use to do this all digitally? I'm currently just working with a google doc, but that seems to be especially bad for map drawing.
If by "map" you mean a more literal top-down dungeon map, then here's a web app I saw recently that might help: Mipui.

-

Day 3: Anastrophe Island

• 1: Focus: A broken spear in the rainforest, covered in moss. An ant grips the tip of the broken haft, fungus bursting from its brain.
  • 2: Path: Barely-marked trails through jungle mud and over woven root bridges.
  • 3: Focus: A clearing: char, ash, and bone swaps—a human ocular orbit.
  • 4: Impression: I'm being watched, every step I take.
  • 5: Focus: A towering, reddish, multi-spired ant metropolis.
  • 6: Path: A surprisingly strenuous climb up the island's gentle slopes, winding round the rootworks of the trees.
  • 8: Focus: Mushrooms drying over a recently-extinguished firepit. They smell pungent, but on closer inspection it's not the mushrooms, it's the firewood that's giving off the medicinal scent.
  • 9: Path: Trails of black and red smoke rise from the canopy, drawing the eye to distant glowing embers between the trees.
  • 10: Impression: Everywhere I look: fungus. Gloomy, funereal umbrellas and veils.
Reasons to leave: One very good reason: I finally come face to face with a man. A lanky man, densely-tattooed, face stony but eyes alight with fear, armed with a spear. Should I have even come this far?

Reasons to return: To take biological samples. To set up a warning to ward off intruders with more violent intentions.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

1/3:
Settled on an overarching theme - the dungeon is a "world of the future" settlement / shelter / planned community from a long-dead civilization.

An IKEA showroom left by ancient aliens, a prefab cradle of civilization. Left on standby low power for millennia.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Oh, so literally anything goes as far as creation?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've been reading 'The Monster Overhaul' by Skerples, and at the back it's got a map of a 'Generic Megadungeon' - not the whole thing, obviously, but many interconnected zones. Might be worth a look if you want to do a dungeon but are lacking inspiration.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Agent Rush posted:

Oh, so literally anything goes as far as creation?
Pretty much, yeah, people have been doing anything from variations on the original idea (instead of a fantasy megadungeon, a sci-fi megadungeon or whatever) to other kinds of places, to items or NPCs, to adventure seeds; doing 1 a day to 1 a week; doing a whole year or just a month; etc.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Is anyone interested in a prompt-swap or other interactive stuff like that? For instance, on one day, giving another person a prompt (round-robin style maybe), or answering a question someone asks about what you're making, or even literally doing an entry for someone else's thing (to take or leave as you like).

Day 4: Preacher Island

• 1: Impression: Malaise. Dilapidation. A concrete airstrip build on sand, cracked and crumpled and useless.
  • 3: Focus: A gyrocopter sits rusting in the sea breeze; the rotors groan and wail when we turn them by hand. Hastily-painted, smeary white letters spell out "God Given" along the craft's black belly.
  • 6: Path: Half-buried wooden slats form a path around a set of three dozen broken crosses in the sand just off the tower's foundations. A folding camp chair at the end of the walkway waits for some lonely sentinel to return.
  • 9: Path: Around the control tower, rusty stubs and discoloured concrete mark where stairs would have run. A mangled pile of collapsed scrap metal wrapping the tower's base attests to how long this place has been abandoned.
Reasons to leave: There's a storm coming—a wrathful one. We barely have time to leave ourselves.

Reasons to return: To scale the tower and see the view. To try and determine whether anyone left this place alive.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Prompts might be a neat idea, but post-a-day design is already a pretty huge commitment and adding to that seems like an invitation to burnout.

1/4/23:
I want the dungeon to exist in a lateral time-space, which is obviously impractical for an interactive game BUT an opportunity for "narrative slight of hand." So a lot of glimpsing the future and past, while avoiding railroading.

I also want the characters to become acclimated to this space, with it becoming more normal and mundane the longer they spend there. So initially everything is illegible and bizarre, but eventually mundane and normal. Derro and gibbering mouthers seem like ideal NPCs to populate this with, where their nonsense speech eventually gives way to normal speech.

This also means the PCs are getting weird.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

moths posted:

Prompts might be a neat idea, but post-a-day design is already a pretty huge commitment and adding to that seems like an invitation to burnout.
Yeah true, I'm actually thinking of scaling back to posting once a week (doing design stuff most/all days and doing a roundup on one day), since I've found ~50% of the time I spend on this is posting it in 3 different places, and it'd probably be quicker to do all that at once instead of 7 times a week.

Day 5: Verbal Island

• 1: Focus: A glint at the top of the middle spire, something flickering red, then green in the sun.
  • 3: Impression: The birdshit. It's everywhere.
  • 4: Path: Volcanic pillars provide slippery, but even natural steps up the lower parts of the rock spires.
  • 5: Focus: An avian boneyard nestled in the crags of the shortest spire. We count at least 3 species: a squat bird with a hefty beak; a cruciform bird with elongated wings, neck, and tail; and a single giant perfect specimen of a skeleton with seven eye orbits—and teeth lining its beak.
  • 8: Path: Networks of twisting, hexagonal volcanic-black pillars arch around and wrap the island.
Reasons to leave: The birds come for us. They descend, a Stymphalian storm of wingbeats and lightning-fast claws. We retreat in a haze of screams and tumbles.

Reasons to return: To find what was atop the spire. To determine whether the giant, abnormal species is still extant.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 5, 2023

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Day 6: Redemption Island

• 2: Focus: A radio mast at the top of the island—little red lights blink up its spine, warding away malevolent spirits.
  • 3: Impression: Disappointment hangs limp from the scrub growth like cobwebs.
  • 4: Path: A crooked jetty off the low sands to the West, all dry ivory wood, weirdly tough as stone, like a giant bone broken and mended wrong.
  • 5: Impression: I find myself always, always, always looking up. Up the island, up at the looming rock, up at the sky. Anticipation? I don't know.
  • 6: Impression: A faint air pressure, a rumbling on the skin. It feels like raindrops drumming on a distant roof sounds.
Reasons to leave: Our radio tells us, in no uncertain terms, to leave or die. We're sure there's nobody here, but then they speak to the whole landing party by name. No thank you.

Reasons to return: To make a proper contact. To determine how the whole system receives its power.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Day 7: Fort Sundog

• 1: Impression: Hidden danger—the sharp, bleached-bone reefs in the waters around the fort, the quiet guns barely visible inside.
  • 2: Focus: An odd pattern of waves at the base of the fort, as if something protrudes for a long distance just barely underwater.
  • 3: Impression: Sound here doesn't echo.
  • 4: Path: A thickly-painted ladder, fortunately free of rust, lets us scale the outer wall to a short walkway that offers an unparalleled view of... empty ocean.
  • 5: Impression: A very particular sturdiness and security. All the doors and vents sealed, but the gun-ports left open to the elements?
  • 6: Focus: A door on the outside of the fort, welded shut. Warning signs in a dozen languages explain that unaccounted access is punishable by death. Several symbols denote explosives. One sign sticks out: mouldy cardboard hung with string around the handle, reading "BEWARE OF DOG".
  • 7: Path: A chained-off ladder leads to a higher walkway a few metres under the lip of the fort's main bulk.
  • 9: Impression: We can't see or hear any birds here.
Reasons to leave: Someone spots a gigantic feathered form gliding low over the ocean on the horizon. With the spyglass, we see seven dark eyes. We don't need a microphone to catch its cry. I've heard no earthly thing make that sound.

Reasons to return: Get in through one of the gun ports. Uncover what was hidden here. Be wary of the dog.

-

From here on I'm gonna do weekly posts on my itch page for this challenge, then link that here.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
First week down:

Various thoughts:
    -Next week is probably going to expand the residential area for the workers off to the right.
    -I'm not exactly sure the level of technology I'm working with; lava levels always conjure images of metal grates and industry for me, so I need to figure out if I wanna commit to that.
    -I also want to collapse some doorways. This thing might be too easy to get around.
(I also made an itch page to collect everything.)

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I just put together a dungeon crawl in 2 hours using watabou's dungeon generator. We played for 5 hours.

I'm pretty sure it's not really the dungeon layout that matters. I think the most important thing going forward is generating things in the dungeon that can interact with things you bring into the dungeon and things over ~30 to ~60min of game time away in the dungeon.

Hmmm.... One room a night is silly, but like... An area + generators + small refinements + cyclic loops seems like the ticket so far

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Oh nice, I hadn't seen this thread until it got posted in the Old-School Games thread.

I've been using this as a chance to build a tiny hex zone--not one big megadungeon but one small region (probably less than 6x6 hexes) with a bunch of related dungeons. January's dungeon has been The Palace of the Immortal Queen--the ancient red dragon specializing in polymorphing magic who rules these lands. The rest of the dungeons are going to be a mix of fallout from her misrule and locations holding tools the PCs can use to weaken and eventually overthrow her.

Here's what I've got so far:

Notable features are a rotating throne room, so the door out only goes where the queen wants it to, and an artificial farcical dungeon the queen forces visiting adventurers to go through for her amusement.

I've been populating this dungeon primarily through a bunch of random tables. I made a big list of 'possible final bosses' and rolled Dragon, then made a list of all the ways I could imagine making a dragon interesting and rolled twice--"Collects artists" and "Is sick and spreads her sickness". I combined the two into a queen who collects artists but has terrible taste and ruins all the art she touches.

I've also got a bunch of other tables in progress I use to give me prompts each day to reduce mental load. I have them all listed as csv on Github if people are interested, but here's a sample:

I've also been documenting it on my blog a bit:
Talking about my plans
More details on room generation
A table of hazards, zoomed out
Talking about how to make dragons not-boring
The core technique I use when keying dungeons

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm working on a game. I'm not really sticking to the format of creating a specific discrete thing for each day, but damned if this doesn't encourage me to work on my writing each day. Trying to hammer out a rule, or how the text of a rule works. And yeah, also weapons and magic items and stuff. I'm staying away from creating rooms and maps at this point.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

I’m working on a thing. I started with the concept of a magical school with an attached training dungeon. I used a Troika book about magical schools (Academies of the Arcane, it’s great) to generate the info about the school, and then from there I’m using other generators etc as needed. I started out thinking it’d be something reasonably chill with a nice scholastic environment upstairs, and annoying group projects into the dungeon for homework. The tables had a different idea: I’m building the Dragonthirst Reformatorium of the Mind and its Mastery, built by an ogre mage out of the hollowed-out skull of an unnamed, demonic titan mounted atop a giant lava-driven furnace. :black101:

Like others I’m not worrying too much about ‘one room per day’ and instead I’m just taking it as a cue to work on it and achieve some measurable progress. I’ve got the first level basically mapped out and have about a quarter of it keyed, which leaves lots of opportunities for shenanigans.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Archipelago23 week 2 report

That's Cornucopia Island, Mayday Station, and Grudge Island; all the details for them and the other 4 islands this week are in this itch devlog.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Got a bit of a late start on this after falling ill at the beginning of the year, followed by all this nonsense with the OGL (souring me on making a 5e dungeon), but I'm finally back in the saddle with a system neutral, OSR-adjacent first draft in progress. The first floor's a good ol' fashioned crypt, and a relatively self-contained lockbox puzzle. The whole thing's a false positive for the actual dungeon, buried just below, though I suppose you could also just run it as its own thing.

I used to design all my dungeons as "Real" locations first, you know, feasible architecture, but I've gradually come around to allowing myself to be a little more gamey.

Aside from a few things I stole from other sources, I think my favorite thing I've come up with is a furtive, ceiling-dwelling monster that mostly leaves the party alone, but if they engage with another monster in its presence, it tries to reach down and steal their weapons as they swing them or hold them aloft.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
Week 2 of The Walking Kingdom expands the residential area of this workplace, creating something of a "company town" environment. A cafeteria, a company store, a rec room, and a chapel of sorts.

If I had a weird idea this week, I tried not to second guess myself. So now there's a talking lute who wants to see the world, and a statue possessed by nature spirits who hate that they're possessing the statue. So that's fun.

I want to think about who lives here now, not just who once lived here. Who the hell would live in a megadungeon? How do they understand the religious relics that remain?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ive been writing Prominent Characters for a setting where the laws of magic are subject to constant revision to try and stop people getting too powerful and breaking the world. so the really powerful wizards are pathological secret hoarding obsessives, like people who find exploits in software or loopholes in financial law. When they finally hit on something good they try to use what they found to accrue as much power as fast as possible before someone finds out about it.

but i think this guy im posting today kinda works in other settings too, he'd be pretty easy to adapt to like any of the d&d settings or whatever

Lord Fex, Archmage of the Abattoir

There is a well-established pipeline between the elite mage colleges of the northern states and prestigious institutions the world over. It's a rare graduate that hasn't already secured a position with a government, research university, or even an arms dealer, by the time they actually attain their diploma.

So when a promising young mage had announced that he would be pursuing a career making and selling slaughterhouse equipment after his graduation, it provoked some controversy. It was viewed as a great waste of his talents, and a great waste of the education the citystate had provided to him. It was true that in raw power terms the kid was no archmage, but he had a keen mind and a very good grasp of the more theoretical topics; the underpinnings of spell design, the finer points of enchantment, reverse engineering of rituals. There was just no reason for him to take a such a.. low fantasy job.

The controversy proved a boon to his sales, though. Just the novelty alone of being able to buy something a real mage had enchanted drew in a considerable number of buyers, most minimally-magical items were hammered out in bulk by hedge enchanters. His tools were good, too; hypnotic guideposts that could make cattle sleepwalk to the chopping block, cattleguns that could settle the most exotic of livestock, abattoir tiles that drank up stray splatters of blood.

His early success, even with the attention, was modest, but enough for him to parlay into designing his first full slaughterhouse complex (just outside a river delta town called Foulwater, on account of its being downstream from ranchland and upstream from the sea). And then from there, his own slaughterhouse business, then a chain of them, then an empire. His designs, combining mundane mechanisms with magical enhancements, had revolutionized the industry, and meat safety in general.

It was at his head office in Foulwater (now a bustling city known as Redwater), during a board meeting, that he abruptly ascended to something approaching godhood. This surprised everyone, but the cause became clear very soon. Not least because Lord Fex was happy to explain it, now that it was too late to really do anything about it.

All of his designs, from the very start, had been built with additional, unlisted enchantments, hidden in plain sight. The way the mundane enchantments had been constructed hid within themselves the others, like an optical illusion or a coded cipher. Fex had built an entire mystic language, rigorously consistent and known only to himself. He'd constructed countless rituals, words of power, incantations, and hidden them in the designs of his slaughterhouses. The words required to start and stop the steam wands, the refrigeration boxes, the lightning baths, all phoenetic doubles of chants and invocations in Fex's name.

The workers were his priesthood, butcher his ritual practice, and the livestock his sacrifices. The soul of a beast might be worth little, but enough raindrops can drown the world.

The majority of great mages attained their power with great rapidity, for fear of vengeful gods, and the accelerated process was often mentally and spiritually scarring. Fex's transformation had built for decades, fed by a steady (albeit ever-growing) trickle. He'd actually intended to ascend from his mortal form a week later than he actually did, on a more portentous astronomical occassion, but business had actually exceeded his expectations. It became a case of being unable to prevent the transformation more than reaching the minimum threshold to achieve it.

The vast strides in food safety and transport that had been incidental to his rise had also transformed the world around him. The regional population had skyrocketed, supported by an endless glut of meat. Fex was the de-facto ruler of a significant port city (as the largest employer and taxpayer in the region), despite holding no official station. He was popular with the people, and generally regarded as a good employer, despite the grim nature of the work, in large part due to a desire to avoid scrutiny that might expose his great project.

He's retained this status as a prominent citizen and philanthropist following his transformation, perhaps also to prove that he has not secretly become a world-threatening monster. He's also played his exact level of strength very close to his chest since 'going public', though the few incidents where he has exercised a larger measure of his power have proven him a force to be reckoned with, at least on the regional scale.

FEX FACTS AND RUMORS

- the ugly source of his power taints his form, regardless of what shape he takes he will exhibit some sign of butcher. low powered manifestations might only have a couple of bloodstains, or butcher's knives hanging from a belt, but at the Siege of Redwater he manifested as a colossal robed figure, constructed from the butchered carcasses of countless animals.

- within his slaughterhouses, the first spurt of blood from a neck wound is imbued with healing power. The phenomenon and the collected blood are both known as Sanguinostrum, and provided free of charge for the health of workers and workers families. It is said that Redwater locals get their ruddy complexion and iron constitutions from the amount of Sanguinostrum that ends up in the drinking water one way or another.

- Fex is introverted and extremely direct in his speech, which makes him a poor diplomat. he can come off as arrogant and rude, but it is largely because his social skills aren't great. diplomats tend to assume his manner means he wants them to flatter him, which irritates him. the best way to get his attention is to engage him on any of the topics he's interested in, and to be direct with him. he prefers the company of practical, skilled people, so teaching him or demonstrating to him some skill or technique he's not seen before will also get him to open up. He also finds himself lacking in purpose; what attracted him to his scheme was not a lust for power, but a kind of myopic obsession with whether it could be done.

- a small cult devoted to him has sprung up in a couple of his larger slaughterhouse locations. it's largely benign but an isolated coven of them intends to begin slaughtering people with Fex's branded equipment. they believe this will provide him with a meaningful power boost, and thus favour, but it would be a drop in an ocean in power terms. it would also further taint Fex's nature, so Fex is likely to want to employ adventurers to root out such a coven. They could also have got the idea from a rival power to Fex, who wishes to corrupt Fex to justify taking action against him.

- Fex can provide a great deal of useful stuff for adventurers, from butchery equipment (make the most of that dragon carcass) and refrigerated storage, to healing potions and spells that have devastating alternate uses. I am not good at stats but here are some spell names like Fex's Fell Degustation and Field Dress, Mass or even Knacker's Recitation of Stunning

idk ive been struggling to write lately because nothing seems to come out right so this might all suck rear end. I need to rewrite it a bunch but i wanted to get something out somewhere before my brain popped.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Bad Seafood posted:

I used to design all my dungeons as "Real" locations first, you know, feasible architecture, but I've gradually come around to allowing myself to be a little more gamey.
In a similar vein, I enjoy more of the weird, "gonzo" stuff, and yet I definitely have a problem with forcing myself to justify the additions to a dungeon/encounter, trying way too hard to figure out "Why would X be here?" which, obviously, makes throwing in unexpected left turns for the players much tougher.

Occasionally it'll result in something better, a bit more of a "dungeon ecosystem" feel where there's a logic evident. But usually, it just means I spend way too much time on each addition and still end up with something about the same quality as my first or second thought. Thankfully I'm not getting stuck yet, just looking for a way to short-circuit my confidence so I can shorten the time between "that's a cool idea" and "yeah, that's good enough," to speed up the process.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I like megadungeons. I think I might do something with this.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm kind of behind - up to #12/17

Doing a mix of locations stuff, rules notes etc.

Very sketchy, with the idea being that maybe the last week of each month I'll tidy up and make that month's thing coherent.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I have my first 2 weeks mostly done, but I came down with a bad case of RSV last Wednesday and have been out of commission, too tired and hosed up to want to scribble in a notebook. I'm hoping to make up the missed time when I feel better, and maybe get some advice on keying from you all, since I've never done anything OSR style before and sorta don't know what I'm doing.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Okay, I have thoughts.

I started having a think on this and part of what I’d like to do for this challenge in specific is to build dungeon rooms in a tactile way. I have a bunch of wooden cubes that I glued together that I can use to assemble encounter zones and take pictures of and some placeholder undead minis that I started painting up last year. I’ll see where that goes in greater detail.

I wrote about it in the old megadungeon thread but I drafted 100 levels of the Megastrata previously by segmenting it into ten zones with ten areas each. Each zone dictated the broad theme of a place and each area had its own specific themes which followed suit. This helped with procedurally generating those things when I needed them but didn’t get down to the granular encounter zone and encounter room design that classic megadungeons are known and loved for. Using that framework though I can start designing some encounters and rooms and combining it with physical things that I can take pictures of.

Diving deeper into the intent of the low stakes nature of the challenge, the idea of having something to do every day helps to build a good creative habit. Creating something every day means that you get into the habit of thinking creatively every day even if you might be pressed for time, energy, and resources. I was watching a livestream from the Hexed Press Youtube channel that talks about some of the potential design pitfalls in greater detail.

I’m going to go on a short ramble about this then but designing the broad structures first and then the specific structures afterwards should help accelerate and focus the creative process. The original notes for Dungeon23 appear to suggest this, but there’s an interesting omission that probably should be explicitly stated: “Not all ideas need to be used that you create in the year”. The intent, I feel like, is to get used to the habit of creating without worrying about if you’re creating the right thing.

One of the additional notes that comes from the original challenge is “using a physical notebook”. This is completely optional but I think there’s something to using a physical medium to harness ideas since it’s slower but has different constraints than a digital one. Digital mediums allow for replication, saving, scaling, and whatnot like UNcO3’s archipelago generation thing, and they can also help out quite a bit for idea generation, especially if you use something like Donjon.bin.sh or another procedural generation site for ideas to mine. Committing those ideas to a physical medium in some way has some interesting effects on par with comparing digital versus analog journaling, something I’ve also been exploring the past few months.

I think for me I want to leverage that analog medium for daily creation by making rooms and situations and then maybe revisiting them and reinterpreting or improving those ideas in some way. Maybe I can get more craft supplies and start creating other objects to use for this kind of creative process and indulge in that terrain building itch I’ve always had. I love the idea of megadungeons especially having a lot of verticality and so I want to include things like archways, gang planks, temporary structures built on top or on the side of more chunkier works. I also love the idea of creating zones and then doing something destructive to them, like building a huge room out of loose and glued together wooden blocks then knocking it over or throwing a small ball at it so that there’s not just a structured room, but also a ‘destroyed’ room as well.

Another consideration that I didn’t see in the original challenge notes but could be a good suggestion for the creative process for this is to “take someone else’s idea and incorporate it into your own”. Even if it’s the exact same idea as someone else who’s openly putting out their dungeon23 thing, when recontextualized into whatever you’re working on you can find some pretty interesting results.

Last point is a video that I unfortunately can’t find right now but someone made the very interesting observation that unless this is purely a creative exercise, megadungeons are meant to be played and evolve over time, so taking your first few weeks or first month of creation and then populating it via play with a gaming group will not only allow for new ideas to flow, but also provide as great inspiration (hopefully) and motivation to keep going and creating new things.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
By way of example, I’m defining and/or reusing these larger zones and some ideas that came to my head lying in bed after a very long week. These will be the twelve primary zones that will have encounter areas or ‘rooms’ associated with them. They are not ordered and are not strictly constrained into a megadungeon format, this could potentially be a point crawl or a hex crawl instead. I think it’s interesting though to consider that these could be potentially stacked on top of one another.

- Burning Sands
- Primeval Forest
- Frozen Hell Pit
- Undead Metropolis
- Shifting Maze
- Steel Sword Ocean
- Exploding Magma Sea
- Lost Bastion
- Demonic Breaches
- Cavernous Jungle Underworld
- Ancient Technology Factory
- Apocalypse Catastrophe Summit

A key note about naming these places. I chose mostly simple but evocative names that have unique acronyms. This helps set up a specific structure for when noting connectors from one place to another and generally keeping things nice and organized.

The first ones that come to mind are the “elemental” or “classic” places. The next set comes from meditating briefly on Dwarf Fortress and its very specific kind of setting that comes with that. The last three extend into much more abstract mythical types of places that have significantly more evocative naming conventions that could be interpreted multiple ways.

Will I stick with these as names in-fiction? Maybe, because I like the idea that villagers and lorekeepers in the game world can talk about some or all of these places and they could have all manner of opinions, facts, lies, and rumors about them. Each of these names represent a larger idea that I feel reasonably confident I could further zoom in on and then make several areas or encounter groups out of.

A brief note on how long it took for me to generate this list. I did not use any procedural generation methods, I just started writing down words in a Notes file while thinking on the topic. This kind of free association is fast and since Dungeon23 has started taking cycles in my brain this is a good opportunity to crack open the filing cabinet of older ideas and suggestions to start making something here. All told it took about maybe five to ten minutes.

I feel like setting this structure (which is reflected in other musings about Dungeon23, I’m late to the party, as it were) set a very distinct thematic tone for each of the 12 zones.

I might take instead the approach some are doing and divide the time up a little differently. I should think about two or three of these zones that I want to make playable for a starting party of adventurers in some rules system like Old School Essentials. Then, I should work on developing some encounter groups, architecture, and ideas for those specific areas.

Why do multiple zones at once? I want there to be a high level of interconnectivity in this megadungeon, and part of that are unexpected routes from one place to another different and alien area. This also allows for ‘transition areas’ so that you can get some interesting mixes of encounters and environments there. What happens when someone approaches a transition area between the Burning Sands and the Steel Sword Ocean? Is it possible that the Primeval Forest is connected to the Apocalypse Catastrophe Summit?

These kinds of questions come up from a very shortly thrown together set of words. You can further extend this and add more broad and specific structures to each of these places explicitly in different ways. Burning Sands, for example, might have key words associated with it like “Well-traveled, Populated by Nomads, Mummy Lords, Death Valley, Mission Architecture”. Those further give more ideas that if you gave someone that still-broad but focused list of prompts, someone would be able to take that and begin generating ideas.

I think part of the concept of Dungeon23 is to get comfortable with ‘tabula rasa design’ - an empty page is scary, but it doesn’t have to be. Just start putting ideas out and see what happens.

Other ways I could think about this are to listen to losts of my favorite music and bands and think about what kinds of zones those would create. I could take a picture of the sky and then use cloud formations as the inspiration for these kinds of zones as well. There’s a lot you can do out there!

I’ll probably sleep on it and then come back to this tomorrow or the next day and then start roughing out more ideas as I start picking some of the zones to develop into short term play and organize the work stream more.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

JMBosch posted:

In a similar vein, I enjoy more of the weird, "gonzo" stuff, and yet I definitely have a problem with forcing myself to justify the additions to a dungeon/encounter, trying way too hard to figure out "Why would X be here?" which, obviously, makes throwing in unexpected left turns for the players much tougher.

Occasionally it'll result in something better, a bit more of a "dungeon ecosystem" feel where there's a logic evident. But usually, it just means I spend way too much time on each addition and still end up with something about the same quality as my first or second thought. Thankfully I'm not getting stuck yet, just looking for a way to short-circuit my confidence so I can shorten the time between "that's a cool idea" and "yeah, that's good enough," to speed up the process.
Yeah, I'm treating this whole thing as a learning exercise. I'll probably never get to actually use this thing, but I can reinforce what I've learned since the last time I had to design something. Halfway through the first floor, I realized I'd made it too linear with too many locked doors and not enough exploration options. It's a little late to fix it now, but now I have a goal going into level two.

The tomb itself is hidden beyond an underground water reservoir, so I've started using water to accent the flow of things. Flooded rooms hiding secret passages, puzzles involving changing the water level, that sorta thing. I'll probably share the first floor when I'm done, alongside a generous helping of self-critique.

EDIT: Since some people are titling their dungeons, my current working title is "Down the Well."

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I almost never put locked doors in my dungeons. That's something I'm glad the hobby discarded early on, having to roll to open every door, roll to break open stuck doors...

But then, if there aren't any locked doors at all, there's nothing for the thief to do, so that guy will wish he had just played another class. And it's cool to discover an important key that unlocks a brand new area to explore. And now that I think about it, having some locked doors is a good explanation for why the monsters roaming the dungeon haven't already picked up all the magic weapons, items and treasure just lying around.