Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Qwijib0 posted:

I would be going back to work tomorrow but school doesn't start till the 9th so I'm swapping vacation days all week with my wife. School schedules, not designed for two working parents.

Which is weird because two working parents or independently wealthy are the only two ways to possibly raise a kid in the modern US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Which is weird because two working parents or independently wealthy are the only two ways to possibly raise a kid in the modern US.

lol at the idea of the US's systems adapting for anything

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Does the 40 hour work week work for two working parents? It feels like every weekend is spent cleaning.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Also not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow since not only is it our bi-weekly payroll that we run Tuesdays which almost always runs us out to 6:00PM because of how much poo poo there is to do, but we were off today so we’ll have to tack on the four groups that normally go on Mondays, so it’s probably going to be an 8:00PM night at minimum.

But I spent most of the day drinking a leftover bottle of NYE wine and doing GT7 licenses and races, and finally forced myself to hog out the old small deadbolt hole on the front door so I could install the new deadbolt and knob set I bought like three months ago, and threw a matching one on the garage entry door too. It sucked!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Pain of Mind posted:

Does the 40 hour work week work for two working parents? It feels like every weekend is spent cleaning.

We have someone come twice a month and do some cleaning. Dusting, floors, toilets, stuff that's a pain in the rear end to do and basically takes at least half a weekend day up. It's well worth it for us.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pain of Mind posted:

No it doesn’t. We’re lucky that both my wife and I work flexible jobs, otherwise one of us probably would’ve had to quit or got fired. We miss so many days due to a sick kid, or daycare closing suddenly. If we had jobs that couldn’t be done from home, we’d be hosed.

The weekends are definitely spot cleaning when you can and trying to recover your sanity the other times. Also catching up on work if you have to.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pain of Mind posted:

Not very well, but it is absolutely necessary.

I could rent my 755sq foot house 2/1 in a poor part of town out for $1300/month or so. Standard I've seen for apartment and house rentals is proof of 3x monthly rent in income. This would require that someone be making $22.50/hr to rent my tiny home. Minimum wage in FL is $11/hr. The median household income in my city is $23.50/wk.

Poor people are getting hosed harder and harder every year.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I think our problem is more tidying up than actual in-depth cleaning. I feel like it would be beneficial to have someone in to do dishes and just put away kid toys etc. We were going to have people come over for NYE so I spent hours cleaning on Friday, which the kids just undid in about 15 minutes. I would be almost embarrassed to have a maid come in when every square inch of the floor is covered with toys or whatever crap the kids got for Christmas.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
So much kid clutter. Going to miss the adorbableness of toddler stage but not the detritus that follows them through the house.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Pain of Mind posted:

We have only one child and I have no idea how anyone could keep their house in order without one parent staying home. Granted ours daughter has needed some extra care.

It still feels like the only thing I can get done with any certainty are laundry and dishes, as far as cleaning goes. And when the floor is covered in toys or crafts it's hugely demotivational to have to move a ton of stuff before you can clean the floor. The prep work that has to be done before doing anything like vacuuming is always way worse than the actual chore itself.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Im so loving miserable to be back at work.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pain of Mind posted:

It ain't easy, I'll tell you that much! I have a job that's light on meetings and micromanagement, and my wife is self-employed so she largely sets her own schedule. We honestly couldn't have had a kid without the exact working situation that we have now, and even then we're struggling in some spots (namely not having enough spare cash each month for childcare). I can't imagine how people worse off than us get it done, unless they have idle family around. It's hosed and they deserve better!

E: We've also spent the last three hours cleaning and doing other miscellaneous housework, heh. Definitely should have taken more time over this break to do that but it's nice to have done what we did!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

Im so loving miserable to be back at work.

I’m sorry comrade. I will share your pain tomorrow.

I wish we all had life-affirming European quantities of vacation.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

To be honest I just hate this job. The people, the work, everything. Just miserable every day. Guess what my goal is this year.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I cannot imagine the life of two full-time working parents. We're DINKs and my wife works 60 hours every two weeks, which is only five 12-hour shifts in 14 days, and I still feel like we aren't keeping up on a lot of responsible adult stuff. I suppose the time I spend getting high and playing video games while she's working could probably be used more responsibly, but that's what I look forward to during the soul crushing workdays!

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I suppose the time I spend getting high and playing video games while she's working could probably be used more responsibly

Don't you dare say that

Samadhi fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 2, 2023

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Samadhi posted:

Don't you date say that

Freudian slip RE: our gaming date nights :wink:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I really debated about getting a job with the USPS, but having a job with hard set hours would be such a hardship with a kid that I just tossed that idea out of my mind. Maybe once my kid hits high school I could consider doing something like that.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Freudian slip RE: our gaming date nights :wink:

;-*

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Pain of Mind posted:

No it doesn’t.

My wife is 9-5 and I work a two week shift rotation with 12hr shifts, which means I have alternating 3 day weekends off/on.

The entire concept of 2 full time working parents with a child is crazy anyway, but the mental load she takes on doing all childcare on those weekends is monumental.

Thankfully we have grandparents close who can help with all the bullshit workdays that pop up seemingly randomly, or early out days for thunderstorms :psyduck:

She’s been WFH and has a lot of autonomy on scheduling so we are very very fortunate and it’s still a tremendous amount of work and planning.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

a job with hard set hours would be such a hardship with a kid.

My wife going full remote and me having 2 days a a week at home makes it infinitely easier. If we both had to be in the office full-time we'd make it work like so many others do but it would suck so much more.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I cannot imagine the life of two full-time working parents. We're DINKs and my wife works 60 hours every two weeks, which is only five 12-hour shifts in 14 days, and I still feel like we aren't keeping up on a lot of responsible adult stuff. I suppose the time I spend getting high and playing video games while she's working could probably be used more responsibly, but that's what I look forward to during the soul crushing workdays!

You quickly figure out what's important to you, and the rest slowly falls by the wayside. As our kid has gotten older and become more active I've made sure to keep time set aside for running and the occasional bout of weights, and let other stuff like my on-and-off gaming hobbies slow down or stop entirely. Now if only the kid was less involved, I could actually take the time to inventory and sell some stuff for the hobbies that I'm OK with giving up :v:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I cannot imagine the life of two full-time working parents.

It's just something you get used to. Except for when you both get norovirus.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You just stop playing video games, reading, and watching tv shows, movies, and random junk on youtube, it is easy.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

My dad never stopped playing video games, he just got worse at them as he got older.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Pain of Mind posted:

You just stop playing video games, reading, and watching tv shows, movies, and random junk on youtube, it is easy.

This is how my wife and I manage our 3 year and 3 month old. I work full time and am out the house most days from 7:30am - 5:45-6pm. She is a stay at home mom with both of them (I dont want that job). The moment I get home I get a baby in my hands while I make dinner. Then I hand the baby back and she starts the baby and her's bedtime routine and I start the toddler's bedtime routine. I normally get about 45 mins to 1 hour of down time (sometimes) before its time for bed at 9:30pm bc I get up at 5am to exercise in house and going to bed that early means I normally can get about 7ish hours of interrupted sleep.

Most of the time that 45 mins to 1 hour I am too fried to play any games and just drink a protein shake and watch my 55 gal community planted tank while zoning out on my phone.

The planted tank is dope though. I am getting some Bolivian Rams this weekend that I am very excited about.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

sounds hellish

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've got no kids by design, work remotely 100% of the time, and even with a job that facilitates a lot of on-the-clock game playing and weed taste-testing, I'm still exhausted at the idea of going back to work.

Thankfully I actually was able to tack on an additional week of PTO after the holiday break this year, so I'm going to relish this last week of almost no emails before the annual cycle starts up again.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Good luck with the surgery tomorrow. Here's some Zoey on NYE in lieu of committing crimes in the virtual world:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

3 DONG HORSE posted:

My dad never stopped playing video games, he just got worse at them as he got older.

Same with my dad

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Being home to deal with the kid stuff was why it took me 13 years to go back to work. It's so hard to not have a parent home during the day to deal with all the poo poo that happens during daylight hours. Now that our kids are teenagers it's easier for us both to work, but it's still not great.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's a lovely afternoon to be drinking beer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EmbryoSteve posted:

Most of the time that 45 mins to 1 hour I am too fried to play any games and just drink a protein shake and watch my 55 gal community planted tank while zoning out on my phone.

This is huge. By the time our kid is down for the night and the dinner chaos cleaned up, we're both fried and it takes an hour of zoning out for us to actually want to do anything specific on the night. Though I'm making a conscious effort to do less mindless forums and Discord scrolling this year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Left work at mid day because I'm still exhausted from covid. Got through all my work, will probably take tomorrow off and finish out thurs and fri so next week isn't too, too bad.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

EmbryoSteve posted:

This is kind of where I end up, not enough time or focus to get involved in a game/movie, so I just browse the internet for a bit and mentally tune out. Eagerly waiting for the kids to lock themselves in their bedroom playing video games all day. Really the only games I can play are the ones with no real story, you are playing immediately when you turn it on, and you can walk away and nothing happens. Slay the Spire and other roguelike type games etc.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
As a father, I greatly appreciate that almost every game these days constantly saves and let's you pause whenever you need. I finished God of War Ragnarok this week with tons of interruptions over the 2 months it took me to play.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

BlindSite posted:

Left work at mid day because I'm still exhausted from covid. Got through all my work, will probably take tomorrow off and finish out thurs and fri so next week isn't too, too bad.

Dude the few weeks after I got over COVID the first time was legitimately the most exhausted I've ever been. You feel like you can do stuff but BAM no you can't

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm about halfway through Black Adam and wow this movie is bad.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Dude the few weeks after I got over COVID the first time was legitimately the most exhausted I've ever been. You feel like you can do stuff but BAM no you can't

I thought I was ok and then a few hours in I'm almost getting head nods and feeling just loving wrecked like I've just sparred 6 5 minute rounds or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dango Bango posted:

I'm about halfway through Black Adam and wow this movie is bad.

Agreed. We watched it this weekend, and man I'm glad I didn't pay to see it in the theatre. And I like watching The Rock.