Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Reading the awful poo poo happening in the Bills Bengals GDT led me to finding this out. gently caress.

https://twitter.com/RoadandTrack/status/1610099276931104769?t=6Eq8Ebol7zoXmxwdGPSqgQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m not watching. WTF is going on? Someone died on the field?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Bird in a Blender posted:

Possibly. Damar Hamlin was involved in a tackle and collapsed after standing up.

https://twitter.com/FOX19Joe/status/1610098849636388870

It's bad.

He's either on his way or at the local UC hospital now so hopefully they can save his life...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bills defender made a routine as hell tackle, got up and just fainted, smashing his head onto the field.

Everyone freaks out, player is non-responsive, needs CPR for 10 minutes while they get an ambulance onto the field.

Initial report from a Bengals reporter is he's got a pulse but not breathing on his own. Game's been stopped for 30 or so minutes.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field, they've brought him to the hospital, game is temporarily suspended.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
One of the most vivid memories I have as a kid is my dad playing Doom and/or Doom 2 on the SNES for hours after he took it from me while healing up after he got frostbite and the vast majority of his toes and part of his foot amputated. I was also unable to really do much because I'd been hit by a car like 3 weeks before and had just been put on strict "no walking, no weight" orders because the first hospital hosed my leg up. It became a battle of timing things out so I could sneak in to his room to play the Aladdin game while he was at a doctor's appointment or fully passed out in an opiate haze. This went on for like 5 months until I got a hand me down Playstation 1 that my dad immediately took, so the SNES became mine again.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well gently caress I hope he lives. This is gruesome. Don’t know how you can keep playing today after that.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
YIKES. I hope he lives and gets a payout.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

there will never be a good year

quote this when 2023 sucks

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We've got some medical goons here, I'm reading that in a cardiac arrest situation you'd intubate in most any situation so "not breathing on his own" really is just consistent with administering CPR? E.g. it's not actually information about his condition other than what we already know - that he needed CPR?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

My dad introduced me to Duke Nukem with a "don't tell your mom". It was really cool (for me, as a dumb child) because he worked a night job to pay for his university. That job* was at a computer store called Egghead so we had access to PC games and parts growing up instead of SNES and Sega. The good ol' days!!

*he quit that job when he graduated and got a good job so we were never wanting for PC stuff.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
the absolute worst people in the world are already using this to push anti-vax stuff

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I really debated about getting a job with the USPS, but having a job with hard set hours would be such a hardship with a kid that I just tossed that idea out of my mind. Maybe once my kid hits high school I could consider doing something like that.

I would try and talk to a local union steward before gambling on this, but you can use sick leave for caring for dependents and after the initial 90 day probation it's impossible to get fired short of direct insubordination or commiting a felony.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

We've got some medical goons here, I'm reading that in a cardiac arrest situation you'd intubate in most any situation so "not breathing on his own" really is just consistent with administering CPR? E.g. it's not actually information about his condition other than what we already know - that he needed CPR?

Yes if you always intubate people who are unresponsive to maintain an airway it doesn't really mean anything other than he hasn't woken up yet

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Leperflesh posted:

This is what my SO is telling me, yeah. She also said that once they get him to the hospital he’ll go on a vent and be in a medically induced coma until at least tomorrow. We’re not going to know any more tonight it seems.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Game officially suspended for now.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

That kid is 24 years old. I feel like he's probably dead and we watched a dude die. This is the most tragic thing I can think of.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ok, here's something good

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1610109934938755073

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

That kid is 24 years old. I feel like he's probably dead and we watched a dude die. This is the most tragic thing I can think of.

It's possible, for sure; but my perspective is, that dude is 24, at the absolute peak of physical condition, and had immediate medical attention from EMTs, and is now at an excellent trauma center. It's the best-case scenario for a serious cardiac event short of already being in an ER. So I think we can be hopeful.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Leperflesh posted:

It's possible, for sure; but my perspective is, that dude is 24, at the absolute peak of physical condition, and had immediate medical attention from EMTs, and is now at an excellent trauma center. It's the best-case scenario for a serious cardiac event short of already being in an ER. So I think we can be hopeful.

I sure as hell hope so. :(

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Leperflesh posted:

Well Leperflesh I sure hope your right

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, cardiac arrest typically requires some type of advanced airway to prevent aspiration of stomach contents and to properly ventilate a patient--whether it is a supraglottic airway or a endotracheal tube. It can also provide a real-time indicator of ROSC (return of spontaneous circulation) if you're monitoring CO2 off the tube is well, which is a requirement of every service I know.

Freaquency posted:

This is what my SO is telling me, yeah. She also said that once they get him to the hospital he’ll go on a vent and be in a medically induced coma until at least tomorrow. We’re not going to know any more tonight it seems.

I'm most concerned that he was being actively resuscitated for 9-10 minutes. Commotio cordis causes VF typically and in a young healthy person I would hope it wouldn't be super refractory to defibrillation. My biggest concern would be how neuro intact he may be after a resuscitation of that length.

But yeah, if they got pulses back and had an advanced airway in place they would sedate him to keep him from pulling the tube and initiate active cooling as a neuro- and myocardial protective measure.

Unless of course he was my patient in which case he'd wake up immediately, snatch the tube out and barf a half gallon of seafood all over a hotel lobby while asking me WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED (true story)

Leperflesh posted:

I also hope this is the case and his level of health makes him about the best candidate to survive it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pasaluki posted:

Well Leperflesh I sure hope your right

drat straight.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My dad got a Calicovision when they first came out and he spent an entire night into morning playing Astro Smash. :unsmith:

I'm also hoping Hamlin pulls through. He got immediate care within the golden hour of trauma and that can help his survivability chances significantly.

The only good news is the game being postponed means I can go to bed as I got an early flight home from DC tomorrow. Here's hoping Southwest Airlines is unfucked!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Suddenly find myself in the emergency room because my mom's blood sugar is HI according to the meter. Aka it's off the scale. She's coherent but weak and slow. I wish she didn't drink that loving coke goddamn.

2023 is dumb and bad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There were plenty of goons pointing to the Christian Eriksen situation in the soccer Euros in 2021, both from the athlete pulling through and the officials making the teams play on.

Absolutely gutted and shocked, and kind of consider myself lucky I turned the game off a bit before that. I’ve seen enough deaths in motorsports, it’s never easy to process. Never.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Suddenly find myself in the emergency room because my mom's blood sugar is HI according to the meter. Aka it's off the scale. She's coherent but weak and slow. I wish she didn't drink that loving coke goddamn.

2023 is dumb and bad.

It’s definitely started out morbidly.

Best wishes to your mom, 3DH

T-Square
May 14, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Reading the awful poo poo happening in the Bills Bengals GDT led me to finding this out. gently caress.

https://twitter.com/RoadandTrack/status/1610099276931104769?t=6Eq8Ebol7zoXmxwdGPSqgQ&s=19

I’ve been racing superbikes for over a decade and have ridden dirt bikes since I was like 6 and have been in plenty of hairy situations and close calls on both, but I only ever hear about people on sleds dying. gently caress those things I’ll never ride one.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Brady got his start when Drew Bledsoe got creamed and had nasty internal bleeding. But this hit didn't seem particularly violent by the standards of the sport or the aforementioned Bledsoe hit (and it was on a guy suited up and in peak physical condition). It's sobering how fragile we are.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

T-Square posted:

I’ve been racing superbikes for over a decade and have ridden dirt bikes since I was like 6 and have been in plenty of hairy situations and close calls on both, but I only ever hear about people on sleds dying. gently caress those things I’ll never ride one.

Trees don't move. No idea if that was the cause but usually those trails can be tight, at least in my experience.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Trees don't move. No idea if that was the cause but usually those trails can be tight, at least in my experience.

Yeah, and in my neck of the woods, the rednecks go bar hopping and then are cutting through farm fields in the middle of the night wasted and going 75, I think like three dudes from my high school have died that way

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

wandler20 posted:

I’m watching Lord of the Rings and I beg to differ.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

T-Square posted:

Yeah, and in my neck of the woods, the rednecks go bar hopping and then are cutting through farm fields in the middle of the night wasted and going 75, I think like three dudes from my high school have died that way

Yeah, similar around here. It's usually by going through a barbed wire fence because it's so flat over here and you have no idea where fields start and stop.

lol ok you got me there

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Those are ents not trees how racist of you!

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
All the working with kids chat just reminds me that I’ll have to start the job hunt up in a couple months once my wife goes back to work. Not looking forward to that! Here’s hoping I can find some well paying work from home management position that I dislike but gives us the flexibility we need for a few years!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Big Jesus posted:

All the working with kids chat just reminds me that I’ll have to start the job hunt up in a couple months once my wife goes back to work. Not looking forward to that! Here’s hoping I can find some well paying work from home management position that I dislike but gives us the flexibility we need for a few years!

I’m adding college—>career change to the Two Working Parents Of A Kindergartener mix starting next week and uhhhhh I’m feeling pretty nervous.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My dad told me of a case when he was on shift and a guy came in to the ER after a snowmobile accident. He didn't make it.

Breakfast quesadilla & a spiked egg nog before I fly home (with connecting flight to Chicago). TV's showing NFL Network so nonstop talk about Monday Night Football.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Snowmobile accident means a lot of things in a lot of different ways. There’s all sorts of safety considerations when you’re riding across the frozen tundra of Wisconsin that I didn’t know.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Abugadu posted:

It’s definitely started out morbidly.

Best wishes to your mom, 3DH

Thanks. She's back home now.

Soda is now banned in the house!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I am so tired and stressed (I also started a 72 hour fast yesterday). I am not gonna work today. gently caress it, Leave Without Pay it is.