Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've got no kids by design, work remotely 100% of the time, and even with a job that facilitates a lot of on-the-clock game playing and weed taste-testing, I'm still exhausted at the idea of going back to work.

Thankfully I actually was able to tack on an additional week of PTO after the holiday break this year, so I'm going to relish this last week of almost no emails before the annual cycle starts up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Instant Potism:
Boil a cup or so of hot water in your electric kettle.
Put the IP steaming rack in the bottom of the IP.
Put a cube of chicken bouillion (or seafood stock if you have it) into the cooking bowl, melt it with enough of that hot water to leave about a 1cm gap between the rack and the liquid.
Dump some garlic powder in there, to taste. Also Old Bay if you like that enough, and throw in some powdered habanero or cayenne, or dump in your favorite hot sauce (Tapatio recommended for shrimp). If you have any cannabis butter, throw it in now. Keep the overall liquid level that 1cm or so below the bottom of the rack. Don't want to stew the
EXTRA LARGE FROZEN SHRIMP that you got from Costco or Amazon and can dump, frozen & straight out of the bag, onto the rack to the shrimply depth you are looking for.
Sprinkle old bay conservatively over the shrimp.

Chop 4 smallish fingerling potatoes or small red potatoes or new potatoes - or skip this step completely - in half or into roughly large bite size pieces, don't go too small or they'll become sloppy. Sometimes I skip this and just bake frozen fries.
Chop 4 or so very-much-in-season cobs of sweet corn in half, layer them over the top of the frozen shrimp or potato pile.

Shut the lid (doodly-a-doot), close the vent.
Hit the pressure cook button, put it on 'high pressure', and run it for 1 minute with the 'keep warm' function OFF. Then release the vent immediately, dump the rack of stuff into the cooking liquid to rinse off any remaining loose powder grit, then immediately remove and serve so it doesn't keep cooking.

Voila. Shrimp Boil. Douse with lemon and dip in a huge puddle of Tapatio.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Pickle juice chaser after a shot of Jameson is a strangely magical combo, and will increase your sodium levels to match your BAC.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well either I invented it or yes, I have heard of it :v: Certainly not as common a concept in LA spots as Chicago/East Coast bars though.

One of the bars that was near my old office threw in pickle spears with every sandwich just so there'd always be sufficient stock of (real) pickle juice. That neon pseudo-juice crap they sell in liquor stores is foul. I wonder why Claussen or the other refrigerated brands don't just sell full jars of it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
To be fair Sears WAS Amazon. In like 1905.

https://www.newsweek.com/unearthed-sears-catalog-1905-arsenous-tablets-bust-cream-1601127

And then the Wells Fargo wagon would deliver your Acme Bust Cream :corsair: Prime took a week back then!!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I ordered some of that Karam's garlic sauce based on someone's recommendation here, and it is freaking amazing. Great tip! (sorry I don't recall exactly who it was, but thanks!)

Toasted up sourdough english muffins, sliced them up and served it as 'fresh bread' to dip in the garlic sauce, it made the perfect Spanish appetizer before we had paella last night.

(also I'm having a pickleback right now)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My sister lives in Wisconsin and that recipe reminds me of why everyone in Wisconsin is fat.

Lifehack: Make your butter burgers really pop by using Rodolphe le Meunier!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's music at Coachella??

https://time.is/ is your best friend when it comes to getting concert tickets/new consoles/hype shoes/whatever limited quantity luxury item you're trying to buy on the internet.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Additional book thoughts:

bobjr posted:

Stephen King’s newest book Fairy Tale is pretty good too

If you liked Fairy Tale, "The Talisman" and Black House which he allegedly co-wrote with Peter Straub but as far as I can tell they're just Stephen King books and they're nearly identical in concept to what happens in FT. After a couple years of lockdown, I've read (or re-read) almost everything Stephen King has written in the past 36 months... The Stand and Bag of Bones are two standouts, if you've never read his catalogue.

The Aubrey-Maturin series peaked when Jack debauched Stephen's sloth.

If you enjoyed The Wolf of Wall Street, there's a couple of Jordan Belfort memoirs that are remarkably similar to the tone/voice of the movie.

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm sure you've read it already, but The Martian is still one of my favorite reads from the last few years.
And if you've read that then you've probably read Project Hail Mary, but if you haven't it is one of my favorite books in the last couple decades and something that about 10 people I've recommended it to loved.

If you like that sort of lighthearted sci-fi, the Bobiverse series by Dennis E Taylor is pretty fun, and like Project Hail Mary, is read by Ray Porter.

The Game of Thrones series is markedly more 'readable' via Audiobook IMHO. I'm currently on the 4th book after bouncing off reading the first book physically a couple of times due to it reading like the script from Season 1 of the show.
The Tolkien books are also made considerably less dry in Audiobook versions.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Timbuk2 makes a nice laptop bag in a variety of configurations, and you can customize a lot of the individual colors separately on most of their bags.
https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/all-backpacks

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
According to Fox News, everyone in California is moving to Texas to have better Freedoms so it should be a cinch to clean up the trees with all that new and talented labor

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you can't cook on an electric range, it just means you're not a very good cook.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Trump people are very mad that the Chinese now know we have a Nebraska, and the only way to cure this is to put Trump back in charge so he can just hand the classified documents to them directly

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Wait until they hear about satellites!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The best sushi restaurant in the world is located in a subway station in Tokyo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiro_Dreams_of_Sushi

And, contrary to what you'd imagine, fresh out of the water fish isn't typically what ends up as top-end sushi, most high end cuts tend to be dry-aged. It's really down to picking the right fish at the market/knowing how to prepare it perfectly that makes for standout sushi. The Jiro documentary mentioned above (on Paramount+ currently, I think) is a really interesting mini-education into top sushi and how it all works.
https://www.thesushigeek.com/the-sushi-geek/2016/02/05/719

https://la.eater.com/2022/11/29/23484311/dry-aged-fish-trend-los-angeles-the-joint-fiish-providence-crudo-e-nudo
Incidentally I've eaten at a couple of these places mentioned in this article in the last month and I can confirm: Their fish is insanely good.

This is Otoro from Shin Sushi which is one of the best Omakase spots in LA at the moment, and I believe the chef said this was aged 28 days.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Let's get up and go to dinner!

eh...Phuket

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Stationary bike chat: A couple friends of mine work at VZFit which is a VR based thingie that attaches to your stationary bike so it knows how hard you're pedaling, and pipes cleaned up google streetview footage into your faceholes so you can ride on real roads and what have you without being killed by cars. Seems like a variant of the Peloton concept, and is a lot cheaper/works on any bike. I haven't tried it but their core customers seem to love the product. Might be of interest to some of y'all.

Tabs chat: I once had over 2000 tabs open in a browser at work and I am pretty proud of that achievement. My job includes clicking on like 50 email links a day and who has time to close tabs when you can simply just download an extension that keeps a little counter in the top right of the browser window which you then use to brag to your slack group chat with the number occasionally. Additionally, fellow tablovers should be using Firefox. Chrome thinks each new tab is a full instance of Chrome because FF is a better browser right now.

Laptop chat: You can't go wrong with a refurb'd Lenovo Thinkpad. They're durable as poo poo, ubiquitous, and corporate users are always recycling perfectly good 3 month old ones into the used sales pool.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
F&F movies are better Bond Movies than Bond movies have been since Remington Steele stopped doing the role. :colbert:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Joey Freshwater posted:

If you’ve never seen the F&F movies, watch the first one, then skip to the last one and watch it. You’ll be so confused you’ll have to watch the other ones to figure out wtf happened in between

You gotta watch through Tokyo Drift, THEN forget about the series until Hobbs & Shaw, then come back and Be Really Confused As Hell.

It worked for me and now I'm back into the big dumb franchise. For a mindless afternoon in an Imax theater, at least.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
...in Caligula

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I know someone who knows Jolene Blalock and as a result have been to a couple parties she was also at, for your Seven SA Posters of Separation games in future.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, steak is amazingly easy to make very fantastic at home if you have a cast iron skillet and any degree of moderate competence, but it's still incredibly nice to have someone else cook you a perfect one sometimes.

A Musso & Frank ribeye at rare plus with some steamed spinach and au gratin potatoes and washed down with many Jameson whiskey sours is a pretty ideal meal out, IMHO

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Also you can convert "Xbox Live Gold" into the much better and inclusive "PC Game Pass Ultimate" by:

1) Buy a year's card (or whatever time period you want) of Xbox Live. It should be about $50-60 for 12 months if you shop around
2) Buy the smallest increment card for PC Game Pass Ultimate ($~15)

3) Input all of your Xbox Live gold cards first, save the PC Game pass card for last. I believe you can do up to 3 years worth for this trick.
4) Once you've got your 3 years (or whatever) of Xbox Live redeemed, redeem the PC game pass card. It upgrades all of your remaining time to PC Game Pass Ultimate which includes Xbox Live, but you save roughly 50% off buying straight PC Game Pass Ultimate cards.

You can do this infinitely (up to 3 years in the bank) until Microsoft turns the plan off, you just have to let your account lapse for 24 hours before you do it again if you want to re-up.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

a sexual elk posted:

Day one of therapy

Good luck LA buddy. PM me if you need to vent or talk about tacos or whatever.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
English Premier League just getting into the second half push now, it's on Peacock. Also Champions League games tomorrow & weds on Paramount +.

$10/mo for the two of those and you get a ton of good sport while the pre-NBA-finals doldrums are here.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It was 80 in LA on Monday, now we've got the 4th gigantic winter storm in 2 months on the way. Some mountain locations are supposed to get SEVEN feet of snow.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Valentina Extra Hot,
Secret Aardvark Habanero,
Yellowbird Serrano,
& a 4 pack of Taco Bell sauces has you pretty much covered for most situations

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I forgot about the El Yucateco XXXtra hot. Definitely a staple for adding straight heat without affecting flavor.
Also Bachan's Hot & Spicy Japanese BBQ sauce.
Also Lao Gan Ma Spicy Chili Crisp, and Centos Extra Hot Pepperoncino Calabrese.

The entire second shelf of my fridge is taken up with spice-laden condiments, along with 6 bottles of Karim's Garlic Sauce, which I learned about from someone in here I think - I've since introduced to 3 friends who are all now addicts also, and plan to ship some to my family come the holidays.

LA folk who like spicy - If you're in the vicinity of Lingburi Thai (which seems to be a delivery kitchen/takeout-only hosted in an commercial shed in North Hollywood) has got some God-tier heat in almost all of their dishes and is excellently tasty too. And are open until 3am for when you feel like making some drunk good decisions.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Get a Whirley Pop (or other stovetop popper), pop the corn in coconut oil, then load it up with Old Bay seasoning.

You'll thank me later.

Coconut Oil is the surprisingly still-kept secret to popcorn, and Whirley Pop is god tier, I got one for my dad & sister as xmas presents years ago. Go Hawkeyes.

swickles posted:

Flavacol is like 10 bucks for a lifetime supply on Amazon

Turns out it's about 'half a lifetime' actually. Last time I made popcorn I realized the trusty carton of yellow butter flavor chemicals was nearly gone. Purchased from Amazon in 2006 :eyepop:

Also, powdered salt "popcorn seasoning" for frozen oven fries, or anything you want to taste properly salted without adding a ton of salt:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ILLX70

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Lobster Meuničre?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fartknocker posted:

Okra

And now a few of you also remembered Fred Smoot

Fred Smerlas was another great Fred-Sm

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4B7G8Rw3Q&t=15s

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Tapatio is the superior hot sauce for seafood, but specifically shrimp.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

It was a joke about the whirly pop. The three people I’ve known who talked about them were always surprised that people didn’t use them to make popcorn, were vocal about how great they were, and were from Iowa.

Timby posted:

He has some really rough deliveries, yeah. In Fellowship, there's a line something like "But no one knows where the ring is, do they? Do they, Gandalf?" and he puts the emphasis in all the wrong places. Edit: He put the wrong emPHASis on the wrong syllABLE. :v:

And Elijah Wood is from Iowa... :tinfoil:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fartknocker posted:

Bruce Dickinson would win either because he brought a tank, his Fokker triplane, or his fencing sword. He would then write a song about it.

Bruce Dickinson & his wife at the time came to (and generously paid for) our wedding rehearsal dinner because my wife is friends with them (Paddy has unfortunately since died.) He's a super nice guy and regaled me with tales about fencing and flying 747's on the Heathrow-Tenerife leg for Virgin Atlantic. He is indeed extremely A Renaissance Man.

also... no love for Bruce Spence??

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Grittybeard posted:

Gonna give a polite nod to Bruce Hornsby in our Bruce's bracket.

Don't think he'd win, but he makes the field.

One of the touring members of The Range and who played on the studio versions of their best songs/albums is from the same hometown in Iowa as Elijah Wood :tinfoil:

To unsubscribe from IOWA FACTS,

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Junior year of college we had a house right in the dead center of campus, an enormously heavy 31" Hitachi CRT, and a shiny new copy of Goldeneye. Me and my gaming buddy played 2v2 matches about 14 hours a day against all comers because groups were always passing by our spot and stopped in for a beer or a smoke or just a game. New players used to come in all smug and demand we play golden gun against our very strong recommendations not to. They only did that one time though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Electronics Boutique with their "return the opened game within 10 days" policy provided us with so many free rentals of the really good stuff we wanted more than a night or two.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

a sexual elk posted:

Think first attempt at making bread came out pretty good, crunchy rear end sourdough. Baking at altitude sucks haha

Looks really good. A+ Nice work, for a snowman. Find yourself some butter and sprinkle some fleur de sel on it, let us know how that goes. What recipe did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Elon's a hilarious bozo. Being a CEO can't be that hard if you have time to do it across 3 companies and also post terrible poo poo memes during a complete meltdown Company 3's only product.

LeeMajors posted:

Worked out for Hitl….*touches earpiece*
Brilliantly executed. :golfclap: