Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
It's gonna be a good year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

Sous vide is cool as hell. 48-hour boneless beef short ribs turned out absolutely amazing:

2-day sous vide is amazing, I did a chuck roast last year that basically turned into prime rib caliber sliced meat.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I would be going back to work tomorrow but school doesn't start till the 9th so I'm swapping vacation days all week with my wife. School schedules, not designed for two working parents.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
So much kid clutter. Going to miss the adorbableness of toddler stage but not the detritus that follows them through the house.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

a job with hard set hours would be such a hardship with a kid.

My wife going full remote and me having 2 days a a week at home makes it infinitely easier. If we both had to be in the office full-time we'd make it work like so many others do but it would suck so much more.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

shirts and skins posted:

Heya TFF! Hope you're having a great new year. I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been distracted by a few things, but I'm still around.

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I'm taking the "new year new you" thing seriously, and by that I mean that I came to terms with being trans. So, yeah! Same shirts, maybe some new cuts of fabric. She/her, and it's a pleasure to re-introduce myself.

And we're glad to have you, congrats.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Kid was up at 4 with a nightmare and she went back to sleep and I couldn't, so I watched a 90 minute documentary about the disney channel sound signature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_rjBWmc1iQ

Defunctlands are usually great but this one was especially fascinating.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

I know I should be asking this in SH/SC but I'm old & going to other subforums scares me, so Jeremy my issue:

Got a mid-2013 MacBook Air with 8gb RAM, (upgraded to a) 1TB SSD, running Big Sur (the furthest it can update due to age). I normally run Google Chrome but lately it keeps crashing.

setting aside that 8GB isn't really enough memory for modern chrome, when the RAM fills up, MacOS will try and push unused data to the SSD to make more room. If there's no room left on the SSD to shift that data to, you're going to get crashes-- how much space is free on the SSD? Ideally you want more than 10% free.

Safari will probably perform better on a mac that old.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

I streamlined as much as I could for my SSD in terms of storage and I'm barely using 50% of it. That's what's confusing me.

As for embracing Safari, I enjoy using my Chromecast to stream stuff to my TV.

Considering my computer is now 10 years old I should consider replacing it.

Have you considered the value the full embrace of the Apple ecosystem would get you if you could use Airplay 2 to a shiny new Apple TV 4K :haw:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
nothing like C-SPAN on a friday night

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

Going to a 15th vote. Maybe the final one?

Gaetz and McCarthy shared a chat after the last one, and McCarthy walked away smiling so maybe.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1611521943152238592?t=W_VcFAac9MR3SLaIi5hy9w&s=19

Because there were a lot more girls than boys into acting at my schools, pretty much every single school play I ever saw had a girl in a prominent male role.

Luckily for the next four years it's all performative bullshit because we have a D governor.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think that might be against apples TOS but I could be wrong.

when elon had spat with apple and then walked the campus with tim, this was the rumored agreeement

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Also happy birthday SB

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

Thanks again so much y'all, it's greatly appreciated!

What a busy day. :D

the busy day was 9 months ago

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
He's too busy with the trains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-EIFeM27U

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Apparently its Java and they do occasional updates-- could be a bad patch.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coco13 posted:

I'm another awful artist. When I try to draw Superman, people guess it's either a bird or a plane.

:golfclap:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
gas stove chat is extra funny because the most affected will be california and NY

https://www.statista.com/chart/29082/most-common-type-of-stove-in-the-us/

perfect opportunity to "stick it to the libs"

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s the worst loving timing though.

If one were looking for a fun conspiracy, the timing of the leak to CBS news just when the news cycle of the house speakership voting has ended and just before Biden would announce he's running in 2024 is a little convenient.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Always more roundabouts

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

that first one *could* be an old floor furnace that they replaced with forced air. But probably not.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

Just checked my email to see that Amazon is ending AmazonSmile because "after almost a decade, the program has not grown to create the impact that we had originally hoped. With so many eligible organizations—more than 1 million globally—our ability to have an impact was often spread too thin."

Just lol at how ghoulish capitalism is.

I'm imagining Bezos hand delivering a check for 7 cents to a small local nonprofit and the recipient laughs about the amount and so he kills the whole program as the orgs are ungrateful.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
sorkinchat, I saw the stage production of To Kill A Mockingbird and it was well done. He slips the characters in and out of 3rd person in a really seamless way and didn't go overboard with the one liners. It's worth a see.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

Just checked my email to see that Amazon is ending AmazonSmile because "after almost a decade, the program has not grown to create the impact that we had originally hoped. With so many eligible organizations—more than 1 million globally—our ability to have an impact was often spread too thin."

Just lol at how ghoulish capitalism is.

fun update on this

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/10ft5iv/comment/j4znb8y/ posted:

So basically, when a customer wants to buy a product, they usually go straight to Amazon.com and enter what they’re looking for. But there’s also a large segment of customers who begin their search on google, and ends up at Amazon. Well guess what. When that type of search to purchase experience happens, Amazon has to pay google. Internally, Amazon thought that if they could force users to go straight to Amazon, offer a small but obviously less amount of money to charity from each customer than would have been paid to google, it would help kill customers going to google, save Amazon more money than paying google, and be good overall for the brand value of Amazon.

That’s why for the program to work, the user has to start shopping at smile.amazon.com. Until recently, the option to use amazon smile wasn't even available in the app, and even then the user still had to 'renew' being a part of Smile multiple times a year. There is no way for a customer to go through the traditional shopping experience, and then during checkout decide they want to give a portion of their purchase to charity, because giving to charity isn't the point of the overall program. Amazon Smile was developed by the Traffic Optimization team, whose entire purpose is increasing efficiency and lowering costs of getting customers to Amazon. A team of Amazon employees whose sole purpose is doing good in the world doesn't exist, despite employees repeatedly asking for such a team to be built in pretty much every single all-hands meeting.

The charitable contribution side was just a necessary side effect of trying to change user behavior to avoid giving google a cut of revenue. I always did think it was weird you couldn't just.... tick a box at checkout if you forgot to start at the smile url.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Piranesi by Susanna Clarke was probably my favorite read from last year.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

I'm waiting on the 2nd appliance repair tech to come by tomorrow to look at my 16 year-old LG TROMM unit, with the idea that it may be time to put this out to pasture. I asked in the PYF Products Recommendation thread but what washing machine is the new hotness?

Get another LG set, 15 years is a pretty good run and by all accounts the new ones are just as good. Front loaders are far more gentle on clothes so they last longer, and they use a ton less water and in general have better cleaning performance.

In the same way that you really can't go wrong with a Bosch dishwasher, that's LG and washing machines.

I've had an LG set for 10 years at this point and I've had to do minor repairs-- the water inlet valve started leaking and an entire main board swap but both were easy and even the mainboard wasn't more than $100 and the install was trivial. They are very serviceable.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 23, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

Why would your local utility contact him

:dadjoke:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Pandora has blessed me this afternoon by tossing Teenage Dream into its rotation and it is still some of the best pure pop.

I'd never looked before but of course Max Martin is a co-writer.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Or track down used versions of the one perfect bag they haven't made in a decade on poshmark?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hey football friedns This is lame as gently caress but my union is going on strike next week and we have a GoFundMe to support our workers. It's the sort of thing where public support is more important than the actual dollar figure so if anyone can share it on social media or give a buck I would take it as a personal favor.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/portland-city-laborers-solidarity-fund?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

Mods, edit this out and slap my hand if this is out of line. Just feel like I have to do everything I can for my folks out there.

of course, good luck

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That's sounds lovely. Lemon and blueberry is an underrated combination.

Lemon blueberry muffins are great

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

At this point what is the government still even doing under these policies?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Neil Armbong posted:

This means money. PHE was a designation of funds and also some implications for emergency use authorization from the FDA for tests and treatments for COVID.

cool.

swickles posted:

It means that by December they will have to declare another public health emergency because poo poo will get a lot worse real fast.

cool. cool. cool.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

until Covid (hopefully) evolves into a lower acuity disease.

it's sad that we've come to this point, but yeah this is probably the only real exit we're gonna get covid

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lasers are neat. Some of those use cases seem... not actually that insane.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

Gonna have to finally figure out Mastodon to see pictures of cats, dogs and raccoons and possums throughout my day.

toot lifestyle getting pretty good, just needs more sports still.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

Hey, just posting this here in case you want to check your home address and see what your internet providers are saying they offer to your house.

https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/home#/

I found out that our local company was saying they offered 1Gig fiber to our house and they do not.

Lol our local mom and pop fixed wireless provider claims to be able to offer gig synchronous, yeah sure guys absolutely on an oversubscribed unlicensed frequency ubiquiti system.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 4, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

I've heard several times when thinking about legality of computers doing things "what if a person did it", most recently with that apartment pricing software-- where the human equivalent would be all the landlords in an area getting in a room and choosing a new minimum, obviously illegal.

AI art is much trickier. If someone spent their life practicing to paint like Picasso, or shooting photos like Ansel Adams and then you asked them to make an art that looked like it, and never claimed it was from the original artist, that's not illegal at all. The new thing here is scale, and there's no law against scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

It's been... A couple weeks.

I'm so sorry and am hoping for the best