Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Qwijib0 posted:

It's gonna be a good year.

Just pretend I posted all of those tweets from 12/31/19 saying that “2020 is going to be my year”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

there will never be a good year

quote this when 2023 sucks

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

We've talked a lot about it and 99% of the time she checks with me before tossing something, this one probably slipped the cracks. The kitchen and kitchen equippment has always been our main source of household item arguments since she thinks I have too much stuff and too many spices but I'm the one cooks 95% of the time and I know what I use.

If you don’t do X then you don’t get to say someone has too many things for X :mad:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Driving back West and holy hell Buc-ee’s has South of the Border-level advertising for about 120 miles until you finally hit the place somewhere west of Knoxville

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

We've got some medical goons here, I'm reading that in a cardiac arrest situation you'd intubate in most any situation so "not breathing on his own" really is just consistent with administering CPR? E.g. it's not actually information about his condition other than what we already know - that he needed CPR?

This is what my SO is telling me, yeah. She also said that once they get him to the hospital he’ll go on a vent and be in a medically induced coma until at least tomorrow. We’re not going to know any more tonight it seems.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Driving on I-70 through Kansas is sensory assault

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

The flint hills are okay? Otherwise yep. Just awful until you see Pike's Peak

Yeah the Flint Hills are nice. The constant wind , and the noise, and the oppressive sun though…

We planned this leg to kick off from KC because last year we did both Missouri and Kansas on the last day and I felt like I had aged 10 years by the time we got home. 12 hours of this is just too much to withstand.

Dango Bango posted:

You're a beer drinker, right? Check out Athletic Brewing's line of NA beers. They absolutely scratch the beer itch for me. They were crucial for cravings when I first decided to stop drinking.

e: whoops I re-read your post after I quoted it and you've already been at it a few months. Leaving my post for any beer drinkers though.

Athletic is the best NA beer I’ve ever had. I keep a couple of sixers around for when I feel like having a drink but don’t want the alcohol. Some of them you can legitimately forget that it’s NA until you’re two-thirds through it and aren’t feeling anything.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I remember reading something about Musk being an insatiable and voracious reader but I’m increasingly convinced he has only read my 8th grade honors English reading list

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status...ingawful.com%2F

gently caress, maybe 6th grade. Fahrenheit 451 is remedial as hell.

I really want to know what he thinks the point of Fahrenheit 451 is

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

So funny story. The 4 power substations that were shot up in Washington state on Christmas?

Two guys did it, so they could rob a place.

... they had their cellphones on them at all 5 spots.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdwa/pr/two-charged-attacks-four-pierce-county-power-substations

I am glad that it was just a hillbilly heist instead of random right wing terrorism at least. I haven’t heard a thing about the substations in NC since we heard that the sheriff was “praying on it” or whatever the gently caress.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Oh jeez, I was too busy focusing on Elon Musk of all people to notice shirts and skins’ news. Congrats on getting to be yourself!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I know intentionally misunderstanding the Bible is a thing but I found this incredibly funny.

https://twitter.com/dahvnyc/status/...ingawful.com%2F

:stare:

This dude really is just out there saying whatever bubbles up to the top of his consciousness huh

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I don’t think it’s a bad thing or anything it just seems like an ineffective way to combat the problem, but one that is showy enough for a resume. Paper thin politics.

Correct. No one is reaching for the keys after a fifth of Jack and then stopping saying “oh gee if I kill someone I owe their kid child support”

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

What the gently caress sort of thread gets QCS shut down of all places!?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Intruder posted:

Is it unconscionably lazy to buy a gadget specifically to separate egg yolks

cause I'm thinking of it

You have that gadget already, it’s called “your hands”

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

It’s just a nice seltzer with an option for a hint of lime, which refreshes when you quaff it

Love to quaff an ice cold Topo Chico

La Croix losers lovers vacate

e: also NBS is just trying to live up to his name by stopping up the exit

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Pineapple flavored Spindrift also is great

Spindrift makes a cucumber seltzer that is probably the best seltzer I’ve ever had but they only seem to sell it at Cava. It’s immensely frustrating.

Kalli posted:

https://twitter.com/VICENews/status/1611045920799350784

:nyoron:

Video on the link if you want to see some hot totties.

The gently caress around -> find out pipeline

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Some studio mates were talking about the movie and I had no idea what it's about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRb4U99OU80
Oh now I understand what this is in reference to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nNXDT1ckW0

The doll looks shockingly like my sister who is coincidentally also named Megan, so we’ve had a lot of fun with that in the family group chat.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Yeah its just insane. People shooting at commercial air lines, helicopters doing gun runs etc.

We’re planning a Mexico trip for this spring and I’m sure this is going to inspire totally reasonable, rational fears in our parents!

Also the NYT out here just casually burning this guy to a crisp:

quote:

But experts were skeptical that the capture of Ovidio Guzmán López, long known as the least accomplished of Mr. Guzmán’s sons, would have any meaningful impact on cartel activities.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Judging by the stories we’ve heard from Lee Majors I think it’s only more apt now

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

It’s weird how easily the daily habit can creep up. I was a social drinker for 20+ years and the isolation of Covid + mid- to late-30s dad interpersonal friendship fade just started turning up the loneliness and boredom. Before I knew it was knocking down 4-5 beers a night without even getting intoxicated, purely as habit.

Had a bit of clarity and decided it’s just not healthy anymore and I wasn’t in control of my relationship with ETOH anymore, so now I’m sober.

It’s insidious how many little tendrils it can finagle into your life. I wish I’d been in control because I do enjoy social drinking but it’s just not for me anymore. :shrug:

It’s wild how differently people react to the same stressors. When the first wave of COVID hit I pretty much gave up drinking entirely. I’ve always been more of a social drinker anyway, but the first night after I had 3 or 4 and woke up the next day to what was still basically hell on earth, I decided the Whisky Psychic Damage Multiplier wasn’t worth it.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

My circumstances weren’t unique by any means but nothing changed for me professionally as an :jerkbag: essential worker :jerkbag: and if anything stress went through the roof, then daycare closed, wife went WFH and I lost all avenues of stress relief and/or disengagement other than like afternoon-evening-night porch beers.

Then as things eased up the habit was set, in addition to the social drinking that came back.

I’m sure I’ll miss it at some point but I clearly hadn’t developed any sort of physiological dependency (thank gently caress) and also the emotional load I was implicitly asking my family to carry wasn’t worth it.

Plus I’m officially starting my CAREER CHANGE education on Monday and I have no room for error here.

Yeah, I don’t fault anyone for finding their own ways to cope and it’s going to be a long road back to normal (for the people that took it seriously or bore the brunt of the essential worker tag). I’m glad you seem to be happy with your progress so far!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

smh, this guy isn’t cut out for the job at all. If he’d started with Ben’s Chili Bowl he’d already be speaker

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

It’s moving day and I already want to die

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Timby posted:

When my ex-wife and I bought our house in Madison and moved into it (Jesus, that was February 2015, what the gently caress), I forked out the money for Two Men and a Truck.

Best $900 I've ever spent.

Oh we hired some help, but the packing and the continuing revelation of just how much stuff we’ve accumulated is dealing serious psychic damage.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Done moving. Nothing is beautiful and everything hurts.

Now to unpack :shepicide:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/Jay_FnHarris/status/1612429052756852736

lol elon's already pushing the price up

also happy birthday SB, Braks please be nice to him ITT!

That’s the price if you buy through iOS to counteract Apple’s 30% surcharge. It’s very dumb but it will also only rip off the worst people so I can’t be bothered to get worked up about it.

Also happy birthday to SB :dance:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think that might be against apples TOS but I could be wrong.

iirc that’s only if you are offering it as an in-app purchase. It’s the same reason you can’t sign up for Netflix on your iOS app - they’re dodging the fees from Apple.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Bolsonaro has been hospitalized again, this time in Orlando where he’s apparently been hiding out since losing bigly. This dude just loves having a tube up his nose I guess.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

People are apparently calling for Biden to kick him out of the US (:rolleyes:) but honestly I think being stuck in loving Orlando is probably punishment enough

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

BrownThunder posted:

real people or a handful on twitter

Fair enough

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Thank you and lalalalalalaIcan'thearyoulalalalala :)

PS, Braks got me a ceramic Christmas tree for my birthday (something I've wanted for awhile), so we each gave each other Christmas trees as birthday presents.

I hope she at least gave it to you early so you don’t have to wait a whole year to use it…

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Today I'm 44, and Emmy is 4:

I think you’ll find that dog is actually 28 in dog years

What I’m saying is buy that good girl a beer

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Intruder posted:

If it's not real then why do I have it :colbert:

(poo poo)

Dodged it for a long time but it finally got me

I'm vaxed and boosted so hopefully it'll be very mild

With the bivalent I was completely fine beyond a little congestion, so hopefully you’ll feel the same. Goonspeed

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think you nailed it. Blood sacrifices to appease wall street in the short term.

Capitalism is so loving dumb

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Don't care, phase them out in a way that doesn't gently caress over people when their existing stove breaks, or subsidize retrofits with proper exhaust hoods or something

I am sure that a rule that looks to ban gas stove starts with new construction and renovations, and would probably focus on multi tenant properties at first. They aren’t going to tell 330 million people to all go out and buy a new stove at once.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

My kitchenaid is also having issues. Something seems to trip when you’re turning it on; if you don’t move from the lowest setting to a higher one in just the right way it’ll stop running, but turning it off “resets” it. It’s an expensive enough gadget that I want to get it repaired but actually putting in the effort to find a place to do it is, well :effort:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Yeah Sears is a case study in managerial malpractice and the ills of vulture capitalism. It took a lot of bad decisions over a long period of time for it to wind up where it did.

Also thanks for the info on the stand mixer, Leper. I’ll look up the service manual and see what I can figure out.

^ Oh the Sears in Columbia, MD closed off its 2nd floor and it became one of those entertainment and arcade centers. It had a bowling alley. You could hear it. All of the employees looked like they wanted to die.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The mall near my house is thriving and I'm happy for it. I never go because I have Amazon Prime but I'm glad.

Yeah the local Denver mall is always hopping, but it’s also full of higher-end retail and is situated in an incredibly rich area with a lot more walkable (also stupidly expensive) retail and restaurants. I think the years where a mall could be filled with EB Games, Suncoast, and Claire’s is well behind us.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

GD_American posted:

Chernobyl seems good but my appetite for depressing TV has rapidly dwindled. Last of Us seems borderline there.

Chernobyl was heavy but overall I thought it was actually pretty uplifting, oddly. Like yeah, the main guy offs himself and lots of people die because of general incompetence, but the tenacity and bravery shown by so many people in the immediate aftermath is really highlighted.

(Do not watch if fictional dogs getting hurt is going to affect you deeply)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Finally got to catch up and watch Glass Onion tonight, and think I agree with what a lot of others said here about the first being better, but it was still very entertaining. I think that what worked so well in the first was the framing of Blanc as potentially an antagonist to Marta, before his character is reframed sometime in the middle of the movie. There’s a similar character change in this one but it isn’t as strong. It’s still pretty well done though and I think I would watch Craig read the phone book as Benoit Blanc at this point.