Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We've got some medical goons here, I'm reading that in a cardiac arrest situation you'd intubate in most any situation so "not breathing on his own" really is just consistent with administering CPR? E.g. it's not actually information about his condition other than what we already know - that he needed CPR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

That kid is 24 years old. I feel like he's probably dead and we watched a dude die. This is the most tragic thing I can think of.

It's possible, for sure; but my perspective is, that dude is 24, at the absolute peak of physical condition, and had immediate medical attention from EMTs, and is now at an excellent trauma center. It's the best-case scenario for a serious cardiac event short of already being in an ER. So I think we can be hopeful.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Congratulations shirts and skins on being the best version of you! :kimchi: Please be patient with folks as sometimes the new software update has compatibility issues with those running an older OS. I still have to mentally take a moment to make sure I use the proper pronouns for those I've known for ages before their transition.

Speaking of software compatibility, I notices the Awful App is being weird where it shows bookmarked threads repeatedly on the screen, sometimes with different numbers to denote unread posts. I guess this is something to bring up in QCS? I don't venture far beyond my tried & true forums (something Jeffrey of YOSPOS mentioned in their State of the Forums post).

awful app isn't official, so astral doesn't support it: choose one of the links in this post to find the right support thread for your issue.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951473

QCS is closed right now, it's supposed to be temporary while the admins work on some way to make it less poo poo. However, the tech support forum is still open.

Jeffry gave a 7-day probe to everyone who posted in the terrible day-after-xmas QCS thread including a couple or three mods, but the probations were dialed back after a couple or three days. There's definitely no intention of getting rid of poster's ability to give feedback, ask questions, and challenge mod decisions, it's just plain from years of experience that QCS has become unmoddable and most users across the site avoid it, and that's no good for anyone.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 5, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it wasn't really that thread, that was more of a final straw that broke the camel's back

that thread really sucked though

I assure you the reasons why QCS is bad have been discussed and dissected by users, mods, and admins alike for years, at extreme length, ad nauseum. I'm just thankful I don't have to deal with that. TG just doesn't generate the levels of animosity (or the crowds) to cause big QCS ruckuses.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

On the other hand 4th Ed DnD is the superior edition and Age of Sigmar sucks

:hai:

Amy Pole Her posted:

There’s a reason folks ignore genuine questions like mine (making the sentencing take into consideration the victim being a single parent / it being a modifier, etc) and simply scream “fix it!”

If you just want to go harder on drunk drivers, then increase the penalty for drunk driving across the board, and drunk driving where you kill someone across the board. Fines or annual payments to victims or whatever. That also won't actually deter drunk driving but at least it wouldn't be obviously picking out one particular tragic consequence to punish while ignoring countless others.

For that matter, why focus on drunk drivers? If you kill someone during the commission of any crime, should you get a harsher sentence or a decade or so of support payments if they leave behind a parentless child? What if you negligently kill someone who is the only caretaker of an elderly person, or a severely disabled person? Do people who were dependents of someone and find themselves without support not matter unless they're orphans?

I think one reason nobody is bothering engage seriously with you is because it's a farcical sentencing modification that is transparently pandering to people who will react with a gut feeling of righteousness about punishing criminals who cause a particularly gutwrenching form of tragedy while having no resemblance to the the kinds of sweeping criminal justice reform we'd actually like to see happen. And also won't likely result in much or any money going to orphaned kids.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

I'm applying for a new trucking job, and the one place that is real local has, on their website, a place to upload my resume and fill out a cover letter. Ok, I signed up for Indeed, I'll just use that one, but a cover letter for trucking? What the gently caress would that be?

"Hi, I am applying to work for you because I like driving and making money. Hire me please."

Think of it not as an annoying burden but an opportunity. Being able to provide a cover letter is great because it lets you put things that don't fit in the rest of a form-letter or formal resume. You can say something short and sweet that helps you stand out. "I know some guys who drive for your company, you've come highly recommended and I'm excited to join the family" (only if that is true, of course) for example.

That's general resume advice though, I heard they're desperate for truckers these days so maybe there's no question that you'll get that callback regardless?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If he wins, is that it for 2 years, or can they just like decide to hold another vote next week and replace him

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Between Damar Hamlin and Kevin McCarthy getting humiliated, it's been a pretty eventful week.

Classic example of why the oxford comma is good, actually. LOL

Quiet Feet posted:

Is it just me or does it feel like were entering week 3 of this week?

Christ yes. First week back from the holiday break, we've had a straight week of rain, all the poo poo my family's been struggling with is still there and not gone just because we tried to have a decently cheerful xmas, and I'm really feeling it. Last night I was dwelling on the nature of mortality and the futility of making an effort in the face of the crushing entropy of the universe till like 2 AM instead of sleeping. I should be happy that it's Friday but instead I'm just feeling stressed about not getting enough work done this week.

Someone post some good news for christ sake

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a neat cape posted:

I got an instant pot for Christmas.

Give me some weeknight instant pot things I can do because I really need to stop going out to eat

I like to make lentils. Get some smoked pork of some kind, the classic thing is hamhocks but those aren't always easily available, you can do a ham bone, or even just chop some bacon or a couple of anduille sausages.
Rinse your lentils and use a colander or strainer to sift through them a little and check for little rocks. It's rare but occasionally a rock the same size as a lentil sneaks in and you don't wanna bite it.
Put the instant pot on "sautee" and sautee some onion, carrot, and bell pepper in a little oil. Then add chicken or vegetable stock and green lentils in a 2.5 to 1 ratio - I'm usually doing one or two cups of lentils, so 2.5 or 5 cups of stock. Add the hamhocks and a bay leaf or two. You can add seasoning as well but my stock is already seasoned. Put on the lid, put it to pressure cook for around 8 minutes. Do a natural release for 5 to 10 minutes and then release the steam, open her up. Pull out the hocks and pull the meat off the bone and chop it if needed and stir it back into the lentils.

Adjustments: you can add more liquid for a more "soupy" result. You can pressure for 9 minutes for more well-done lentils, which will mush more. You can do a slightly faster or slower release. You can add different veg. Definitely try adding hot peppers, my wife doesn't like spicy food but I do.

You can use the same recipe for red or yellow lentils but you may need to adjust cook times. Red lentils are actually the core of a green lentil, they cook to a more mushy texture much faster so you only pressure cook for about 4 minutes and you may need to adjust liquid times.

Regardless, total elapsed time from start to finish is under 30 minutes and if you make 2 cups of lentils you'll have leftovers for a couple of days.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah my kitchen is tiny, which sucks, but it also absolutely forces us to wash as we go. It also obviously helps that we're cooking for 2 usually, but not as much as you might think, there's not many recipes where scaling down to 2 servings means using fewer pots & pans and stuff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All Clad is top notch, I have several of their pots and pans and they're fantastic. I got an actually-durable nonstick all-clad frying pan with lid for my birthday last year and I was really happy!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup McCarthy has won, the last few holdouts voted "present" which drops the threshold so he won 216-212. Apparently he had to make "concessions" just to get that far, whatever that actually means.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that law quoted in the first image is specifically about stage shows, not people on the street. Obviously it's still dumb as gently caress, probably not enforceable, and won't go into law - and that last bit means everything in it is performative, at least for now

but yeah it clearly says this is for a show/performance for entertainment, for an audience

the law text quoted in the second image says you can't use federal or state money for (what it calls) a drag show that has minors in attendance, it doesn't say you can't have one at all, or even that you can't use federal money for an adults-only show

the third one actually is what erin reed's summary says it is

e. I want to be 100% clear it's still outrageous and stupid, I'm just, again, kinda tired of tweets that "summarize" something and omit key qualifiers or just outright get it wrong, however well-intentioned. I'm glad Erin Reed is drawing attention to this anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You only need laws when there's a problem that isn't or can't be addressed by people just using judgement.
Parents can decide if a performer in drag in a particular case is appropriate for their kid or not. It doesn't matter if some people think a particular show is or isn't sexualized, unless those people are actually in the position of deciding whether or not to take their kids to that show.

The proposed laws are purely capitalizing on transphobia to invent a "problem" to performatively react to. It's pandering and not worth any more consideration than that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been real angsty about my career lately too, like, I'm gonna be 48 soon, I've been doing this for 23+ years now, it's a combination of difficult and boring which is just the worst, etc. etc. I am Not Happy.

But. Career change, into the sciences or something, now? 2-6 more years of school, during which I'm not earning much or anything, and then start over at what, like $18/hr? We could do it. If we sold the house, moved away from our family, stopped supporting other family members with cash when they're in trouble, just pitch away this career right when I'm making decent money, in the chance that I'll do well and actually love my new career.

IMO first try getting a hobby, one that involves making things ideally, or at least completing hobby projects. Make it your happy place. Shop for hobby tools and watch hobby youtubes during work hours and then go home and enjoy doing something with your hands. I always feel better after I go out to the garage and make some shavings for a while, even if I haven't made anything particularly impressive yet. It's so much easier to face yet another day editing technical reference architectures and attending meetings about content strategy when I have something to look forward to at 5:30 besides video games and TV.

ORRR, change careers, by all means, if you can afford to, and especially if you're still in your 30s and can make up for lost time in your so-called "prime earnings years" (50s+) so you don't have to retire poor. It's too late for me but it might not be too late for you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hey silly burrito I hope you have a great birthday today, good job on getting older

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Happy birthday, Skwirl!

Lol that SB got like 100 happy birthdays but Skwirl was late to the party, sux to be you lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah I finished Derry Girls. It's really good, if you can get past the thick accents.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalli posted:

Hey remember all those murders and poo poo happening at Fort Bragg?

Panic grips Special Forces community amid investigation into drugs, human trafficking

quote:

"This is what happens when there is no war, no direction, and an 18-month red cycle with no mission," a Special Forces soldier said. "So dudes are loving around with young kids and the craziest drugs. All these lives ruined because people are just bored."

Yes, this is "what happens" when you're bored because there's nobody foreign to go kill or get ready to go kill, boredom makes you traffic drugs and pimp underage girls to your fellow soldiers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

At a party once my friend and I "invented" pickle shots. I'm sure they've been done before, but whatever. You get a large whole dill pickle, cut a couple inches off the end, and hollow it out a bit with a melon baller or whatever. Then fill with vodka or gin. Drink, then eat the shot glass.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sorry about being laid off, Joey. A lot of big tech seems to be making cuts "in anticipation of" an economic downturn rather than due to actual bad earnings, and I sorta suspect that whatever recession we have, if it happens at all, isn't going to actually hit tech company profits much (aside from lol twitter and maybe facebook and google) and these companies will find themselves in a bad position in a year or two because they've slashed product development.

In other words they're reacting to their own stock prices in the short term and not actual sales projections in the long term. Big surprise there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I'm in tech and we went through a pretty big layoff because while we were making profit, we weren't making ~enough~ profit for Wall Street. Those laid off got a nice severance. So, I'm glad you got yours, Joey.

Now my entire year is spent negotiating costs we need to recuperate, weeee

Back in 2017 or so, my mother in law was in a dark place. She was long divorced, working at AT&T in their call center, and had no idea what her actual finances were like but assumed they were bad and she needed to keep working.
Then AT&T offered a structured early retirement package, to cut staff. This was a union contract, thank god. So it was based on seniority. She actually brought the papers over to us and asked us for advice, so we looked.

They paid out $X per month you'd worked at the company, to take early retirement, and you could take that as cash up front or as two years of monthly payments.
She was 67 and had 40 years at AT&T. She got a payout of over $200k, to retire "early", even though she was due to probably retire within the next year anyway. She couldn't believe it, I mean literally did not believe this could possibly be true. We dug in, called, asked questions, and it was true. She got a $200k payout (we took monthlies to avoid paying a huge income tax bill in one year), figured out her social security income, and also found her 401k and a rollover IRA she had forgotten about, and she's fine. Juuuust fine.

What is boggling is that AT&T made that offer. It's hard to believe they saved money. Maybe a lot of people with only five or ten years took the deal, I dunno. But it's the worst case of corporate insanity I've directly witnessed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Uvalde school police chief Pedro “Pete” Arredondo told investigators he was more concerned about saving students in other classrooms than trying to stop a gunman who had already shot children and teachers."

Emma Kinery here has phrased this as if the chief admitted openly to being scared of losing officers over more dead kids, but that is not what he said, and the very first sentence of the article is unambiguous.

I don't believe him, of course - the cops were clearly being incredibly cowardly. But he didn't admit to cowardice here. Just repeatedly failing to follow protocol, for really stupid reasons.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 11, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drat, braks. Your daughter understands 3 point perspective, composition, she's playing around with shading techniques, she's got a good feel for how to give a sense of movement and action to a scene, and she'sdrawn some cute as hell sharks too. I took art classes and was never good enough to do what she knocked out there. How old is she?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I received a kitchenaid that had sat outside, under a tarp, for a couple of years before I got it. So I found the service manual for my model online and disassembled it completely to clean it and fix it up. The entire thing is user-serviceable if you have a few hand tools and are willing to spend a couple of hours being careful as you take it to pieces. My suspicion for at least Freaquency and maybe also AA is that you just need new brushes for the motor. They're not too hard to replace. It's possible that you got something up in there that allowed a spark or short to "burn out" something but from my recollection of how its put together that's hard to do.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sears would still be limping along, like Macy's and JC Penny, if it hadn't been ruthlessly (and very probably illegally) gutted by a shitheaded greedy rear end in a top hat. The story of Sears' gutting is fascinating really. One of its most important and valuable assets was real estate, and Eddie Lampert decided he'd rather just personally have all that money for himself.

Lampert would like you to believe that they were just sadly defeated by Amazon. That's a lie. Sears was intentionally looted. Lampert, and businesses directly owned by him, loaned Sears billions of dollars, and used its real estate as collateral for the loans, thus guaranteeing the interest income no matter what happened to the company. He also split the departments within the store into competing mini-businesses, which led to sales staff refusing to help each other or trying to poach customers from neighboring departments. He made a ton of just bizarre, boneheaded decisions, so he wasn't only a ruthless profiteer gutting the company for his personal benefit, he was also just totally wrong about how to run a retail business.

There's several good articles about it, here's one:
https://theweek.com/articles/801927/how-vulture-capitalists-ate-sears

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 12, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Imagine a Sears where you could still, today, buy a quality Craftsman tool, made in America, online; it'd ship directly from your local Sears or you could pick it up there same-day. And, you'd be able to take it to a local Sears for service or replacement for the rest of your life. Would you pay 2x or 3x more than some poo poo imported no-name tool on Amazon? I sure would. Snap-On still sells quality tools at insane markups because they provide direct on-site sales & service to professional mechanics.

Like even if the business for home furnishings or clothing is too cutthroat today to sustain a huge mall presence, Sears could have pivoted to a smaller set of retail departments, focusing on the ones that people still prefer to do in-person or that have higher margins, and then sold or leased out their mall spaces.

Malls are dying, I don't think anything can save them, but Sears didn't have to die and it that gently caress Lampert didn't deserve hundreds of millions of dollars into his own pockets in return for driving the company into bankruptcy.

e. K-Mart is owned by Sears now, they merged (one of the first things Lampert did as CEO, I think).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the EMTs are charged with the maximum charge because 95% of charges get pled down, and so DAs are always gonna over-charge if they possibly can as the opening bid in what is basically a private negotiation over how much punishment a defendant will accept to avoid the risk of maybe much harsher punishment if they insist on a trial

because of that factor you can rarely take publicized charges at face value

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welp. My wife and I love to watch it. I guess that's done now. Sucks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sneers

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

Yeah it’s just weirdly quiet in the house. I keep catching myself trying to be quiet cause I usually get an hour of alone time weekdays when my daughters at school, wife’s upstairs working and the 2 year old is napping and don’t want to wake him up

I have all these projects I always do in the garage or whatever to avoid making a mess in shared space. When my wife is off on an artist residency or whatever, I get to unpack a project all over the dining room table (eat on a tv tray in front of the tube when alone, natch). It's also a time to do home improvement projects that are intrusive, like shutting off the power all day to do some wiring work or shutting off the water all day to finally fix the drip in the shower.

It's also cool to bring the PC out to the living room and hook it up to the 4k TV for some Big Gaming, play loud heavy metal music, basically all the stuff that my wife would certainly let me do but which I know would annoy her a little.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GD_American posted:

How comfortable are you shaving this bill down by doing the digging yourself?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you're absolutely right of course. And part of the deal here is that when excavating a sewer line, unless you're absolutely sure you know exactly where the line is, you can't just go ham with a backhoe, there's a fair amount of manual shoveling to be done regardless. Often manual shoveling in dirt saturated in decades of human piss and poo poo slowly leaking out of a hosed up old sewer pipe.

For me? Personally? If it was a small job I'd get some throwaway boots and overalls etc. and do it myself, but anything a contractor would be asking, say, $5k+ for is a much bigger job than I think I can "help with" in any capacity. Add in that this could require pulling permits where I live, and I get even more hesitant.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Yeah that does suck. Sorry for your troubles mate. If you do get something that sounds weird in an estimate though, post about it. There's enough of us in the thread who've worked in trade industries who can probably see through some bullshit.

Yup and also there's like two whole subforums for this kinda thing, and a bunch of friendly regs (and also Motronic) over there with tons of experience. The fix it fast thread in Hobbies, Crafts, Houses is great for quick questions, the BFC house ownership thread gets a lot of people with problems & solutions from a money angle and Home zone is the go-to in HCH for full on house reno, repair, deep in the poo poo project posts and help.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Friends, I’ve got the sads today for some reason.

And those snips from Velma have only made it worse.

Here ya go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJHCsFOcDjY

livestream of kittens, this outfit rescues pregnant ferals and rehabs them in a home on cam and then gets them adopted

this poo poo is high-grade mood enhancing drugs

e. that one's on rerun right now actually, this one is live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJVaTa4CubI

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ohhhhhhhhh man, yeah. Yup. I was never a toyota head or anything but that design is a serious nostalgia hit, straight in the hindbrain.

e. of course they could never sell them here. The belt line is too low to have effective side impact bars, the bumpers wouldn't pass modern pedestrian impact safety requirements, etc. etc. it's just not a possible design for today. But it's nice to dream.

I'd prefer a contemporary scirocco, of course

this is the car I always wanted but never got, the one that got away. They're stupid expensive now, and of course outdated and way more dangerous than any modern car and my wife wouldn't want one and I can't justify it in any way. But if I ever get even modestly rich somehow, I'm gonna get a nice garage and park a mid 80s scirocco in

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 14, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

re: roundabouts, roundabout chat always makes me put on Yes: Roundabout

re: pet cancer, just be aware that your assumptions about how rough chemo is are based on human chemo. Our cat for example, went downhill very fast from her lymphoma, but we were fully prepared to put her on chemo after it was explained to us that cats tolerate it far better than humans, they don't lose their hair, you can treat nausea pretty easily, etc. Obviously for a 17 year old cat where the prognosis is like maybe +2 months, you probably just don't bother. I just wanted people to know, because vets don't always fully explain this stuff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my company, a multinational software corp with over 100,000 employees, exclusively uses recruiters for hiring. Which sucks. But it is very common in this industry, and it means that at least some of those recruiters out there are legit. You have to filter through the mess, you can't just blanket ignore all the recruiters, if you want to land a job in many industries today.

Also, recruiters are almost universally bad. Some of them are only somewhat bad, feeding us resumes of dozens of unqualified people along with quite a fair few qualified people. Some are pathetic, just spamming poo poo out there and bringing in almost nobody remotely suited to a software technical writing job. My boss says sometimes she has leeway to fire a recruiter but usually all she can do is pass feedback up the chain and hope someone higher up agrees to yeet them. Which they sometimes do, but maybe not till weeks later.

On the flip side, I get contacted by recruiters via linkedin all the time. They're mostly obviously spamming like crazy. No, I do not want to open a fast food franchise. No, I do not want to work full time, mandatory in-office, 150 miles away from where I live. No, I am not interested in connecting with you, random person I've never met who has zero contacts in common with me and a completely blank introduction.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Andor's the best Star Wars that's ever been made. I rank it better than the original trilogy. It was legit amazing TV. It's a shame so many people have burnt out on the relentless parade of star wars stuff and didn't even give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Freaquency posted:

This new house we moved into has much, much better water pressure than our old apartment. I installed our bidet last night and this morning, well:

https://youtu.be/YlacOX68OME

You may actually have too much water pressure. If it's above 80psi, you need a regulator on your supply or it'll rapidly erode all the valve seals (faucets, etc) in your house. Excessive water pressure is common in new homes where the builder didn't bother to test after water was turned on and install appropriate equipment if needed.