Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

It is the year 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

I cannot imagine the life of two full-time working parents. We're DINKs and my wife works 60 hours every two weeks, which is only five 12-hour shifts in 14 days, and I still feel like we aren't keeping up on a lot of responsible adult stuff. I suppose the time I spend getting high and playing video games while she's working could probably be used more responsibly, but that's what I look forward to during the soul crushing workdays!

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Samadhi posted:

Don't you date say that

Freudian slip RE: our gaming date nights :wink:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Good luck with the surgery tomorrow. Here's some Zoey on NYE in lieu of committing crimes in the virtual world:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

My mind always reads MTG as Magic: The Gathering, but I know who is actually being referenced. Instead of taking a second to think of her real name I just read these discussions as "Boebert and Magic: The Gathering are fighting", but knowing it's actually the blond CrossFit nightmare congresswoman. At this point I would be more likely to look at a picture of her and say "that's Magic: The Gathering" instead of ever thinking of her real name when I see MTG.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Is anyone here saying that? I mean why not just execute them and give all their belongings to the victims? Let’s just execute everyone who wrongs anyone else, for that matter.

Hey it worked for that planet in TNG, and if Picard had just followed the god drat Prime Directive we would've been spared seasons of Wesley Crusher.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

I guess this is something to bring up in QCS?

lol, QCS is currently suspended because it was becoming Helldump. Things came to a head when Jeffrey had everyone who posted in a specific thread on Christmas given a 7 day probation. At least from what I can tell by going there once a week or so to see what's up.

Surely TFF's very own Athanatos can fill in the gaps if any of that is wrong or missing info.

e: oh and more importantly, agreed, congrats shirts and skins on taking new year new me to the next level

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Intruder posted:

That's pretty much what I was looking at

The shell method normally works for me but I've been getting frustrated by the random eggs that refuse to separate and the white seems to just suck the yolk out with it while dropping into the bowl which also almost always breaks the yolk. I don't love using the hands method

I'm familiar with the bottle trick but I almost never have any water bottles on hand (I have a pitcher with a filter I use)

In my experience you're not going to get significantly better results with the separator utensil than you will with the shells. Don't know what the bottle trick is, but having tried shells, utensil similar to the picture posted, and hand, I am very strongly in team hand.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Still adaptive! I finished in 80 questions, so either I'm good or just really poo poo the bed.

lol, my exact mindset walking out of the 4 hour second half of the PE exam after 2.5 hours. Guessing you crushed it, but definitely understand the anxiety. Any idea when the results are due? Assuming it's soon if you're :f5: ing

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Timby posted:

I can't do La Croix, there just isn't enough carbonation in it for me.

Hy-Vee (Midwest grocery chain) sells carbonated water coolers for dirt cheap, 79 cents per liter bottle, and the lime and strawberry flavors are utterly amazing. No sugar, no calories, great taste.

I also like Perrier's lime flavor.

Hey, I know those carbonated water things! I loved them in high school, then developed an aversion to them in college when they were my go-to mixer for lovely vodka.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Crap. I agree with Matt Gaetz.

https://twitter.com/hallam/status/1611149408262815744

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I guarantee one of my brothers would absolutely be planning on freaking me with horrifying dolls if this came out when we were kids. He and my mom both teamed up to terrorize me with ET and he teased me for years about Chucky freaking me out. Murderous dolls and aliens are about the only things I don't gently caress with movie wise.

My friend from elementary school and I both loving hate ET. One of his sisters won a stuffed ET and would hide it in his room when we were in high school.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

You were terrified of an ET doll while in high school? Like, 14 year old you freaked out seeing an ET doll?

The terror part was elementary school, but they did put it in his room while he was sleeping so he'd wake up to it.

e:

The Big Jesus posted:

Obligatory

Also my best friend was also (still kinda is) scared of E.T.

The first time I saw this I was high and laughed until I cried then sent it to a group chat he's on

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Intruder posted:

if you don't have a gun the king of england can come in your place any time and start pushing you around

That sounds bad because his hands are gross and I don't want them touching me.

Quiet Feet posted:

Is it just me or does it feel like were entering week 3 of this week?

I was off for 11 days, came back Tuesday, had to take Wednesday as PTO due to snow, and now suddenly it's Friday? My concept of the week has been off for quite a while, but should come sharply back into focus on Monday when it's 5 day weeks until loving Memorial Day.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Time for another GBS "post itt for a random new username" thread.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

I was just chugging soda water when I got a soda stream and I knew I couldn't be trusted with it.

Having calcium in your bones is overrated

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Someone post some good news for christ sake

https://www.startribune.com/2023-is-the-year-minnesota-democrats-unveil-bill-to-legalize-recreational-marijuana/600241007/

The Star Tribune posted:

Democratic legislators on Thursday unveiled their bill to legalize recreational marijuana in Minnesota, setting the stage for months of debate on an issue that could become law this year.
The House set its first public hearing for Jan. 11 in the Commerce committee. The Senate could hold its first hearing in the next two weeks, Port said.
If the bill becomes law, Stephenson said it would "be a matter of months, not years" before Minnesotans 21 and older could legally buy and use marijuana flower and products.
Licensed retailers would be allowed to sell up to two ounces of cannabis flower, eight grams of cannabis concentrate and 800 milligrams worth of edible products per customer.

Minnesotans 21 and older could possess 2 ounces or less of flower in a public space and 5 pounds or less in their home. They also could grow up to eight cannabis plants at home, but no more than four of those could be mature and flowering.

Certain low-level marijuana crimes would be automatically expunged from Minnesotans' records under the proposed bill, while a new special board would review other convictions.

"We cannot legalize cannabis without expungement. This is a racial justice issue," said state Sen. Clare Oumou Verbeten, DFL-St. Paul. "The harm that has been done to communities of color needs to end."

Republicans are against it because someone needs to think of ~the children~, but it's very refreshing to see the MN Dems hit the ground running now that they have control of all three branches of the state government. Assuming all R's will be no votes no matter what, they need full agreement among Dems because the Senate majority is only 1 vote.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

My circumstances weren’t unique by any means but nothing changed for me professionally as an :jerkbag: essential worker :jerkbag: and if anything stress went through the roof, then daycare closed, wife went WFH and I lost all avenues of stress relief and/or disengagement other than like afternoon-evening-night porch beers.

Then as things eased up the habit was set, in addition to the social drinking that came back.

I’m sure I’ll miss it at some point but I clearly hadn’t developed any sort of physiological dependency (thank gently caress) and also the emotional load I was implicitly asking my family to carry wasn’t worth it.

Plus I’m officially starting my CAREER CHANGE education on Monday and I have no room for error here.

This was 100% my wife (and by extension me). As an RT she was not only still going into work, but it became her job caring for COVID patients when we had basically no idea what it was and PPE shortages were rampant. Then it became culture war poo poo and she got to deal with half her patients being combative and telling her it was a made up disease as they were being intubated on their way to eventually dying. I was 100% WFH and had her shifts working as my alone time, but she had nothing. She wasn't and still isn't a problem drinker, but she went from three or four beers a week to a drink or three a night (beer and cocktails).

Definitely agree on wanting to have a clear head for back to school. Is it full four years of EE classes, or did you have some carryover to knock out some of the 101 prereqs? Any cool classes this semester?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

You say "cooking makes too many dirty dishes", I hear "I haven't heard the good news of our lord and savior, Bosch dishwashers"

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

A lot of dishes I use don't fit in the dishwasher, and more importantly I don't trust that my Bosch will get everything off so there's a lot of pre-dishwasher soaking and scraping. I have no evidence for the last bit.

Not fitting checks out (stupid sheet pans), but I highly recommend pushing your limits on how dirty you'll put stuff in. I remove any solids, but very regularly dirty dishes don't even see water before they go in the dishwasher (and come out sparkling clean).

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm 226 at last weigh-in, I'm 5'5", and my goal is 190 to start. Honestly I just want to break 200 first.

I am starting out with physical therapy two times a week then I am going to move to the gym after my therapy is done. Probably going to be doing swimming and machines so I don't stress the leg, as much as I'd love to do free standing squats and running. I am expecting 1.5-2 pounds a week. I am not the type to be super strict about my diet in general (which is a curse and a blessing) so that's why my target is a range. I don't want to feel like a failure if I don't hit 2 lbs every week, and to "forgive" myself if I make a mistake in portioning.

I'm doing this with friends who are much stricter than I am w/r/t their dieting so I hope that keeps me on track.

MFP is a very cool app for this.

This is the first time in my life I will be doing proper calorie counting.

My disclaimer is I am not a nutritionist and absolutely everything about diet/exercise/fitness varies intensely person to person, so the best I can do is say what the biggest helps were for me personally going from 220 to 185 over about six months in 2012:

#1 with a bullet was daily weigh-ins and having that information displayed on a graph over time. Being aware of my weight every day made it so much easier to walk by sweets put out in an office or actually eat the carrots I brought instead of getting some trash from the vending machine. After two or three weeks when I started steadily losing that 1.5-2 lbs/week you're talking about, it was a huge help to see that plotted on a graph. No idea if MFP does that (my tracking was in Wii Fit, lol), but seeing that line trending was another motivator for making better choices day to day AND not getting too discouraged if it didn't go down every single day.

Similar to that, keeping track of my lifting over time. We had a weight bench in a spare bedroom that was half torn down, so I just kept track of my lifting writing on the wall with a pencil knowing it would get painted over later. Having that record was another big motivator, going back and seeing holy poo poo my warm-up lifts are more than I was hitting on my max three months ago. I know you aren't going to be doing strict weights with the leg, but lap times or something might be similar to be able to go back and see alllll the progress over time.

Also if you haven't been to the weight loss thread in YLLS, highly recommended. Even if you can't follow every single thing in there to the letter, it has a ton of good info that, again, stuck in the back of my mind just enough to drown out the urge to grab a donut sitting out at work.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Real life “not a jury in the world would convict.”

The defense "I was trying to throw it to him so he could chug it" worked, which means it's now legal precedent that Ted Cruz can't hang.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

BlindSite posted:

I am not happy to be back into 100% work mode.

Saw this a minute ago and sad laughed pretty hard:
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1612207648933396481?t=_KYti40hVvqQuxlQOwtK_Q&s=19

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Im kinda really, really, deeply unhappy in my soul with my work situation right now but all I can think is that a different job doing similar work wouldn't at all make me any happier. It would just be a different setting to suffer in.

Then I get annoyed at myself for being sad about work.

I dont know how to fix this.

Brother, I have had six different jobs at five different companies in 13 years. Every week I still stare at the walls of my beige prison and wonder if there's something I'd actually enjoy doing, although the longer I'm at it the more the voice in the back of my mind says you've seen enough to know it's all the same. After getting way too into the last couple and burning out, at this point I am trying so god drat hard to focus on everything else in my life that isn't work, because on the whole it's all pretty great. But it is SO difficult to pretend the place that dictates my schedule for 71% of the days in a week just doesn't exist.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I think a lot of the soul crushing jobs would be much more tolerable if we did 4 day work weeks.

My goal is to make enough money where I can cut down to like, 4 8 hour days or heck even 4 9 hour days.

We did 4 day weeks for three months during COVID, and I would gladly take 80% of my salary to work 32 hours a week again.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Well it took about 90 seconds for the guy who retired a couple months ago to steer a "what's new since you left" conversation to Biden and the border. I miss the active background noise generation from my old open office.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Something makes me think that Manchin comes cheap these days. He's been in the fossil fuel back pocket for so long maybe he doesn't even need to be paid off anymore.

I'm actually looking at induction ranges right now, but man they are expensive. If it helps me get natural gas out of my home though, it'll pay for itself.

We got the Frigidaire Gallery series that sticks out as being relatively cheap compared to the rest of the CR list screenshotted here, and I loving love it:

The only difference between those bottom two is whether the controls are on the front or back.

Ours replaced the cheapest electric we could find to temporarily bridge the gap from broken oven that came with the house and eventually gas after kitchen remodel. Induction got enough positive feedback and that model is competitively priced compared to gas, so we pulled the trigger before redoing the kitchen.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

After using it for a bit I do now prefer induction to gas, but it has a much higher barrier to entry not only with the stove itself but also making sure all of your cookware is compatible.

That said, both kick the poo poo out of coil electric.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

If HCH has taught me anything, it's the only appliance with a standout brand head and shoulders above the rest is Bosch dishwashers. Refrigerators especially are a crapshoot although getting one that doesn't have anything dispense from the door is a huge help.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

drat shame about Sears, I was going to call them this summer about a home air conditioning system.

:lmao:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

wandler20 posted:

I've been shopping away from Amazon lately. For example, today if I wanted to buy something via Prime, the delivery date is January 23rd. 11 days. But yeah, go ahead and cut your workforce because Alexa is killing you and all you care about is the bottom line.

As if we didn't have enough motivation with labor issues, last weekend we had TWO (2) Amazon drivers get stuck in our driveway. I am assuming their delivery times are monitored closely enough that they're loath to get out of the car and walk up driveways, and also assuming they aren't spending the money to get decent tires on their vehicles.

Also unclear why the first one was there to begin with, because they didn't deliver anything :shrug:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Today on my drive to work I saw a Tesla with the license plate FALCON9, and I hope to never interact with the owner irl

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

I’m watching John Wick, so can I recommend getting a dog to help? It worked for him.

In my head canon you posted this 10 minutes into seeing John Wick for the first time and thought you were recommending a heartwarming movie

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

It’s like we didn’t learn any lessons from the Four Loko craze

Aren't there laws because of it now, or did it just get banned in enough cities and events that they decided to go zero caffeine across the board?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

my company, a multinational software corp with over 100,000 employees, exclusively uses recruiters for hiring. Which sucks. But it is very common in this industry, and it means that at least some of those recruiters out there are legit. You have to filter through the mess, you can't just blanket ignore all the recruiters, if you want to land a job in many industries today.

Also, recruiters are almost universally bad. Some of them are only somewhat bad, feeding us resumes of dozens of unqualified people along with quite a fair few qualified people. Some are pathetic, just spamming poo poo out there and bringing in almost nobody remotely suited to a software technical writing job. My boss says sometimes she has leeway to fire a recruiter but usually all she can do is pass feedback up the chain and hope someone higher up agrees to yeet them. Which they sometimes do, but maybe not till weeks later.

On the flip side, I get contacted by recruiters via linkedin all the time. They're mostly obviously spamming like crazy. No, I do not want to open a fast food franchise. No, I do not want to work full time, mandatory in-office, 150 miles away from where I live. No, I am not interested in connecting with you, random person I've never met who has zero contacts in common with me and a completely blank introduction.

+1 to pretty much all of this.

Recruiters work on quantity, not quality. The 30k employee company I worked for a couple years ago went exclusively through recruiters, which was annoying as hell when they were trying to rush hire me, and me and the hiring manager had contact info for each other, but had to do everything official through the recruiter channels. They were at least quick to respond because it was closing the deal.

When I wanted to change industries and reached out with a request requiring any amount of nuance beyond "give hiring manager a resume", it was radio silence.

I've also gotten the WTF messages on LinkedIn, and having worked in so many different industries they really are just all over the place.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

What episode(s) of Boba Fett do we need to watch for Mando canon?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Maybe sounds like an odd complaint to people outside of the upper midwest, but my biggest gripe about this winter is it's TOO WARM. We've been dancing around 28F-34F for like a month now with multiple 24+ hour snow events. The melt/refreeze cycle is loving brutal, and a massive pain in the rear end to maintain a driveway.

At least when it's 10F and snowing it's just big fluffy stuff that is easy to clear back down to the pavement.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Someone ask the Reagan bot about Nancy being the original Throatzilla

e: lmao, once again I post forgetting about my username

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 19, 2023

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Well I'm happy I saw the tweet saying people who didn't watch Boba Fett would be confused about something in the Mandalorian previews. We've watched episodes 5 and 6 of Boba Fett, and they really are just bonus Mando. Could not care less about what's happening on Tattoine other than Amy Sedaris.

Also, wtf, Luke, just let him have both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Freaquency posted:

No you see the Jedi have to commit to a life of asceticism for reasons and letting the kid have things like friends is bad (please ignore that they basically got wiped out the first time because of this exact bullshit)

Jedi continue to be the most annoying part of Star Wars, somehow

You must live an ascetic life. Please ignore the fact the only reason we're even having this conversation is because I'm nostalgic for my old friend who died.