Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

No Butt Stuff posted:

Woke up this morning and had to go to the emergency vet. It’s over.

drat man. Sorry to hear for y’all.

And sorry to hear about your MIL abugadu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

The Big Jesus posted:

Haven’t been drunk in months. Kids will do that to ya I guess. I don’t miss it nearly as much as I thought I would and the slight weight loss (it was mostly offset by holiday food) has been nice.

i get drunk like, once a year. i have a drink at home maybe twice a month, if that? will have a few beers socially but generally just don't drink all that much. idk, i much prefer smoking some weed to wind down in the evenings.

i had a year or two span a decade ago where i'd have like, a beer and instantly feel splitting head hungover. so i think never knowing if that will happen really kicked off not drinking much. thankfully doesn't really happen anymore so I can enjoy a few social drinks.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Timby posted:

I'm just saying there are several hundred congressional staffers living paycheck-to-paycheck in DC (gently caress, that region is expensive to live in) who will get very loud, very quickly, if they're not getting paid because the Republicans can't stop sledgehammering themselves in the dick.

do you think those 19 members of congress give a single gently caress?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

shirts and skins posted:

Heya TFF! Hope you're having a great new year. I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been distracted by a few things, but I'm still around.

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I'm taking the "new year new you" thing seriously, and by that I mean that I came to terms with being trans. So, yeah! Same shirts, maybe some new cuts of fabric. She/her, and it's a pleasure to re-introduce myself.

Congrats on this big step.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

I know intentionally misunderstanding the Bible is a thing but I found this incredibly funny.

https://twitter.com/dahvnyc/status/...ingawful.com%2F

especially since the treatment of foreigners and the poor is a subject that bible spends more time talking about in a pretty clear and straightforward way than it does on either homosexuality and abortion (which it is actually pro, in certain cases), which both get like, 2 verses.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

harperdc posted:

Meanwhile I’m in hell because our 9-month-old has now gotten in the pattern of being up at 2:30 every morning and not going back to sleep for at least an hour and a half. I don’t know what flipped that keeps her from sleeping through the night but my god it needs to flip back.

sleep regressions are a bitch. it's even harder than when the kiddo is figuring out sleeping through the night for the first time because you know they can do it but they've suddenly lost that skill.

hang in there, it will pass.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
I finally found a ps5 while at target for something else last night! It came with the new god of war. Have never played one is the games so I’m excited to check it out.

Didn’t realize there was a new Grand Turismo and I’ll have to pick that up sometime.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

CannonFodder posted:

I'm applying for a new trucking job, and the one place that is real local has, on their website, a place to upload my resume and fill out a cover letter. Ok, I signed up for Indeed, I'll just use that one, but a cover letter for trucking? What the gently caress would that be?

"Hi, I am applying to work for you because I like driving and making money. Hire me please."

likely some purchased solution that either wasn't configured or isn't configurable to remove that since it's not relevant.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Kalli posted:

A somehow even lamer Jack Poboseic.

His biggest claim to fame is he was invited to the white house once with some other social media influences, but this dude is seriously insignificant.

LMAO. strong 'couldn't hook up with a swinger even though I went out drinking with her' vibes.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

I finally found the Kids section on Netflix and holy poo poo there are a million transformer, Lego, and power ranger shows now.

Power rangers got weird for some of the series. They are like, magic ranger fighting inter dimensional evil and the base is with a fairy lady in a tree. They are also magicians in their non power Ranger lives.

There was a movie where the beat the bad guy by bringing back every power Ranger ever to fight. It’s a really weird show universe.

My son went through a power ranger phase where we watched the show a lot.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Yea they also have a ton of weird South Korean animated shows. Maybe the translation is just bad, but some of them of really weird and awkward.

Some shows are bootleg af. At the start of COVID my wife and I were on zoom all day so our son got to watch a lot of Netflix. Super kicko speedo from India was the kind of bad you can’t look away from.

https://youtu.be/MiQ0Pl-hzFg

There was also a talking train show from Korea where the protagonist train had amnesia after an accident and the like traveled through portals.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 7, 2023

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LLCoolJD posted:

I've recently bought a couple of Legend brand items (non-stick frying pan, large stainless cooking pan) and they're really solid. But yeah All-Clad is the gold standard as far as I can tell.

I have friends that work at MadeIn. Their cookware and cutlery is pretty good.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

TIL Super Burrito has the same birthday as me (and Nixon, but don't hold it against us).

Happy Birthday SB

Happy birthday to you and SB. Today is also my wife's birthday!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

PBJ is superior imo

PBR and a shot of Jameson

In Austin I went to a bar that offered a “Mexican Blowjob” which was a Lonestar Beer + Jameson (LBJ)

The bar by an old office would have Deer and a beer for $5 during march madness. Shot of cazadores and a lone start or tecate can. Great drink deal.

And sorry to hear about getting laid off Joey -- hope you got solid severance.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Sorry about being laid off, Joey. A lot of big tech seems to be making cuts "in anticipation of" an economic downturn rather than due to actual bad earnings, and I sorta suspect that whatever recession we have, if it happens at all, isn't going to actually hit tech company profits much (aside from lol twitter and maybe facebook and google) and these companies will find themselves in a bad position in a year or two because they've slashed product development.

In other words they're reacting to their own stock prices in the short term and not actual sales projections in the long term. Big surprise there.

yep. at this point all the FAANG and other large layoffs are just because they plan and not actually right-sizing costs.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

My new pet peeve is people reaching out on LinkedIn, knowing I’m looking for a job, asking to see my resume.

Like….isn’t that what LinkedIn is for? It’s all right there my guy. Sure I’ll send you this pdf that says exactly what my LinkedIn says, go nuts.

Export your Li profile as a pdf and send that

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Andor's the best Star Wars that's ever been made. I rank it better than the original trilogy. It was legit amazing TV. It's a shame so many people have burnt out on the relentless parade of star wars stuff and didn't even give it a shot.

I agree with this. Tremendous tv show.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

And also as Mr Nice pointed out, Florida Dems might be the worst in the country

Debbie Wasserman Schwartz is (was?) one of the us reps. As a former chair of the DNC she’s one of the leaders who guided the party to its current state.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

Can you make a smashburger with a Foreman grill? Like, if you press down on the lid?

not hot enough.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

D-LINK posted:

I definitely married above my pay grade. Good to see you too, buddy

Always nice to see you pop up in these threads. Hope life is still treating you well.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

Now everyone is gonna find out how poorly Goldeneye aged!

if they remap the controls in a meaningful way it could still be fun

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

does tff:ct have suggestions for a decent work laptop backpack?

prefer simple over like a BILLION pockets

if it could double as a good day pack that'd be a bonus

https://roadrunnerbags.us/collections/backpacks/products/medium-anything-backpack

I use one of these. handles my 16" mbpro just fine, is great for traveling and because of the roll top has a flexible capacity.

another bag i've used and really liked and wound up becoming the family day hiking bag was a patagonia 24l. that appears to only have been available to swag manufacturers. i got mine as company swag.

mission also makes really good bags tho their laptop/not bike bag is always sold out and hard to get. https://missionworkshop.com/collections/laptop-bags/products/rhake-laptop-backpack

i have a vandal from them that is quite nice that not super geared towards laptop use.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 26, 2023

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/DaveWillis2/status/1618326536435929090

20 year old me is giddy but today me recognizes that some of that humor aged pretty drat poorly

some of it is still soooo good tho. the thanksgiving episode with goblox comes to mind.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

A ton of the early jokes were also them calling each other gay in various ways

"i'm going to go lay some sheetrock around the v8 i'm rebuilding. i'm a man's man, boy."

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hey football friedns This is lame as gently caress but my union is going on strike next week and we have a GoFundMe to support our workers. It's the sort of thing where public support is more important than the actual dollar figure so if anyone can share it on social media or give a buck I would take it as a personal favor.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/portland-city-laborers-solidarity-fund?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

Mods, edit this out and slap my hand if this is out of line. Just feel like I have to do everything I can for my folks out there.

donated. can't post about the bougie rear end backpacks i did on the past page and then balk at this. good luck.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Donated too.

I’m going to Austin next week for work. If anyone has restaurant recommendations for anything downtown or near UT, let me know. Hotel is at the south edge of UT campus.

What do you like to eat or want to eat and how nice?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Mexican, seafood, pizza, or general American I guess. I’m not a meat eater (just seafood), so I don’t need to know which BBQ spot to go to. I’d say anything mid-range? Nothing so fancy it’s going to take 2+ hours to eat. I don’t mind cheap and easy places either. I remember a chili place right near the hotel that I loved, and I’ll probably eat there at least once.

Oh nice! Texas Chili Parlor is where you’re thinking of.

Here’s a quick list. I’m sure I’ll think of more.

Pizza:
VIA 313 is in north canvas and is v good Detroit style - there’s a few around town so whichever is convenient

Home slice is New York style and has a location in Hyde park (north of campus) or on south congress

Seafood:
Mongers on Guadalupe north of campus
Shoal Creek Saloon has p good Cajun food

Mexican/Tex mex :
Matt’s el rancho on s. Lamar
borego de oro on s. Congress
Veracruz all natural for the chilaquiles tacos
Cisco’s has really good migas
Este for bougie Mexican seafood
There’s a taqueria in the dobie food court - great tortas
Comedor has fantastic high end Mexican

Brunch/ bakery:
Sour duck market

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 27, 2023

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

The fact that so many people are warning about how terrible it is, but also that everyone was told yesterday what time this was getting released makes me really curious what will actually happen today. Are protests already in the works before the video comes out? Are we going to see "spontaneous" protests tonight? Just feels so different than before because Floyd came out of nowhere. This has been talked about for weeks already.

I can't tell if it's *that* much worse than the killings we've seen so far or if this is posturing to pre-emptively paint protestors in a worse light or pre-justify state violence against any protestors.

edit:

quote:

Chief Cerelyn Davis said the footage shows a "disregard of basic human rights."

I feel like this is a p apt description for all the videos we've seen already. i don't like watching people die so idk that i'll watch this one.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 27, 2023

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Paint Crop Pro posted:

According to google he is losing cartiledge on the inside of his knee cap.

sorry to hear about your habsburg genes fiz

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Qwijib0 posted:

At this point what is the government still even doing under these policies?

This means money. PHE was a designation of funds and also some implications for emergency use authorization from the FDA for tests and treatments for COVID.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

swickles posted:

It means that by December they will have to declare another public health emergency because poo poo will get a lot worse real fast.

yeah, i work in this field now. these funds were what helped fund a lot of programs states had low or no cost testing and treatments. The state DPHs we work with are now having to work to find budget to fund v popular and impactful programs.

poo poo was so bad in December for some states with flu, rsv and COVID spiking we had to take over triaging patients to direct them the appropriate care since emergency services were overwhelmed and couldn't sufficiently deal with the volumes.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, Andor is only really a Star Wars show in terms of aesthetic (Stormtroopers look like Stormtroopers etc.). The subject matter is a lot more grounded than other SW stuff. Very much a political drama set in space vs a Star Wars story.

Nice!
You didn't drop it, you sac'd it for three mana of any color :v:

I like to think that I have pretty deep Star Wars knowledge, but I have no idea what this fan service seen is unless you're talking about the couple of scenes where Luthen and Saw Gurrera are chopping it up, but even that didn't really feel like fan service (I also haven't gotten around to watching the final episode so it could be in there)

I'm p sure it's the very end of the last episode. you see what the prisoners were building are being used for

Also, congrats Salvor_Hardin! Keep going. A creative hobby has been a must for overall life wellness.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

I’m in Austin and it blows because half the places are closed because of the ice. Luckily I fly out of here tomorrow. This is the second time I’ve been to Austin and got hosed by the weather.

Ooof. How was your time before the ice storm?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah gently caress it I’m gonna just post:

A friend just sent me this article and said it was interesting and I laughed and said yeah this dude is definitely mad at women because he can’t get laid and now the friend is mad at me because I “don’t understand and he does because he has a degree in psychology and he finds things like this fascinating” and now my brain is draining out of my ears

https://markmcdonaldmd.substack.com/p/why-american-women-are-undatable

someone sees an opportunity to fill the void andrew tate is leaving. holy moly what a bitter screed.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
Some powerful male fragility posted in the past few pages.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

swickles posted:

Should I move to Alaska? My wife got offered a job there that pays a ton and has a huge relocation and sign on bonus. I don't know what I would do there though, its on an island that has a clinic, but no need for an anesthesiologist as anything needing that goes to Juneau. Its pretty far south, so the weather isn't that bad (25/38F are low/high average temps in January). I think it might be fun to do for a few years, but we would be really isolated from any family and friends, town is only 8k people, and on an island. While it seems like a cool adventure and could be fun, the uncertainty of me finding a job (unless I could do research remotely) makes it tough, plus I am not sure if it would get old fast being that small.

a whole lot of drinking is what you'll do.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

I was going to post this as well. Joe Manchin: man of the people, man of the American Left.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/...ingawful.com%2F

These people are a loving wonder.

they refuse to address any issues of substance so this is what we're left with. completely meaningless posturing based on willful ignorance of the issue.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
After 3 years, finally caught COVID. Am def sick but not too terrible.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

BlindSite posted:

Execute your bankers first and you'd do a lot more good.

I’m alright with a global anti-nazi stance as a start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

BlindSite posted:

Do you guys have natural gas lines that pipe right into homes? My friend has 3 points out door got a BBQ, outdoor for a water heater and their stove.

The other way we have it is gas bottles that are like the a foot wide and a metre tall that a company comes and changes.

Country will have larger tanks in the yard that get refilled and cities and suburbs will have pipes to homes. My neighborhood has gas and I have one of the few houses that didn’t get plumbed when it was built in the 60s.