Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I was in bed by 10PM, my wife has her ACL surgery Tuesday and I have the next two weeks off to help her recuperate, and I bring this present to the thread for a blessed new year

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1609425452506165250?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

a sexual elk posted:

Time to post all of my scalloped potatos in my overly oiled cast iron pan…

gently caress yeah

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

Last day off then back to reality tomorrow. God I hate January.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I suppose the time I spend getting high and playing video games while she's working could probably be used more responsibly

Don't you dare say that

Samadhi fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 2, 2023

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Freudian slip RE: our gaming date nights :wink:

;-*

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

No Butt Stuff posted:

I did dry January last year. This year one of our friends is working on becoming a personal trainer, so we are attempting some challenge with her where drinking just deducts points. Since I'm competitive and working against a couple other insanely competitive people, I'd imagine it'll be dry until Valentine's Day.

You should ask Ben Shapiro's wife for tips dealing with the dryness

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

GD_American posted:

Frozen meat (chicken breasts or thighs, or pork loin, or whatever)

Liquid (teriyaki or barbecue or marinade or whatever)

Hit button.

Don’t overthink it. The beauty of the Instant Pot is the simplicity.

You may want to be a little more specific w/r/t what button/setting and times or he'll end up with rare chicken

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

You say "cooking makes too many dirty dishes", I hear "I haven't heard the good news of our lord and savior, Bosch dishwashers"

PBUB

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Abugadu posted:

Instant Pot stuff - it is fantastic for making Indian food. Throw in chicken or other meat, spices, maybe paneer, yogurt, good to go.

Post some recipes, I think I've only ever made butter chicken in it

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Silly Burrito doesn't apparently need an Instant Pot because his goose is already cooked

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Neil Armbong posted:

Happy birthday to you and SB. Today is also my wife's birthday!

If you ask SB it's also Braksgirl's birthday!

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

EMS workers charged with murder after patient dies at hospital

Man, it's amazing how easily they charge EMS workers for murder in this situation when there are thousands of instances where cops were more actively culpable in someone's death without consequence.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Anyone else off today? I woke up to a holiday with a sore throat ☹️

I've had the last two weeks off due to tending to my wife after her ACL surgery. I am not looking forward to going back to work Wednesday

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Desperately lobbying congress to come up with a bunch of new holidays so I always have an excuse to deflect a question.

Welcome to National Butter Burger day (I just made this up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNDJrihWknI

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Ether Frenzy posted:

My sister lives in Wisconsin and that recipe reminds me of why everyone in Wisconsin is fat happy.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

General Dog posted:

Dom Toretto and Wayne from Letterkenny have both developed into these corny but still winning Christlike figures who transform their enemies just through their pure unalloyed decency.

Just like DeSantis

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Has anyone helped their senior, single parent date before? My dad passed in 2017 so I think my mom is finally moving on, which is good because Filipino/Catholic mourning is so loving depressing I thought she'd never be happy again. Last night my mom approached me saying she needed help with her "dating profile" which was actually a Facebook group she joined (lol). I corrected her immediately. But anyway, I don't want her to be lonely the rest of her life so I want to help her. Any recommendations for websites? Off the top of my head I'm thinking match.com because I don't want her loving with phone apps. Basically I'm going to guide her through this so she has a good time but also doesn't get scammed or whatever.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

e: She is 72. Also I don't know if this actually goes anywhere but when your mom says "I'm lonely" you gotta help her out.

What are her hobbies, and are any of them conducive to joining social groups that do them? It may be good for her to get out with like-minded people who enjoy the same activities in a social setting with no pressure. That way she can meet new people and figure out what she may be looking for in a partner.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Things I've played or feel comfortable recommending (spotted more I know some people love, but maybe more niche). Straight up RPG's I'm not an expert, but a lot of games have RPG elements. Apologies if it's overwhelming, tbh I haven't gone through the Game Pass library in a long time and didn't realize there were 445 games on there now!

gaming words

*wipes tear from my eye* a true gamer

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah it's fantastic. This conversation is making me redownload it for my flight from Japan to the states.

Also they just advised all passengers to use the bathroom before boarding due to expected turbulence :tif:

This whole thing smacks of Gender Fiz yells as he tips over his traytop and turns this flight into the Plane of poo poo

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Two important news items from last night.

First, my parents announced the addition of Bennie the mini Aussiepoo (guessing that's the same as Aussiedoodle) to our family:

Unclear why it looks like they took the pictures on a gen 1 iPad, but whatever, they're old.

Also, in much more SB-focused news, we spotted this gentleman leaving the Gopher Hockey game last night:

e: Oh, bonus third thing, Zoey (the cat we got in November) got her first mouse last night, and was nice enough to kill or severely injure it enough that it couldn't run away from us when she brought it upstairs to play with.

Aussiepoo is Russell Crowe in Les Miserables.

Good job on the new kitty keeping your house rodent free. In related news, I realized our second youngest, dumbest cat somehow broke off most of one of his top canines so we get to pay to have the remainder removed.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Pretty sure my parents are stuck on the poo part since they had two cockapoos forever, but the world seems to have moved on to doodle instead.

That's some poo poo about the teeth. Cats seem like they have fine teeth or an absolute disaster with no in between. Does he have tooth-destructive habits?

No, not really. He and his younger "brother" fight pretty vigorously though so it's hard to say how it happened.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Has there ever been a best picture winner that most people would call the best picture that year?

Crash, obviously.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

The latest season of The Mandalorian has been hot loving garbage so far. The series has abandoned any subtlety and nuance and just beats you about the head explaining every single thing that has happened or is about to happen; it's no longer showing and has moved straight to telling loudly.

It seems Disney has decided to fully monetize the property and every scene seems to be either fan service, a way to sell merchandise, or both. Every scene in the second episode involving Grogu had the same vibes as Spy Kids. This show is so drastically different than the past seasons in all the wrong ways.

The Mythosaur was cool though.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I'm also finding mando a bit more silly than before, although it may just be that I'm still blown away by how good Andor was and all other star wars is seeming paler in comparison.

This could be a big part of it. Andor really set such a higher bar for anything they do.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

Oh that will be my suggestion. Like immediately.

Find the nearest military base and post For Sale ads there, tell them it has the power of a Mustang with the towing capacity of a Silverado

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

My wife had ACL surgery in early January and was ~9 weeks into her PT regimen and doing very well when, yesterday, she slipped on water around the rehab pool and fractured her patella on the same leg. 4 hours in the ER later, and they were able to schedule her for patellar reconstruction surgery today. Another few weeks in an immobilization brace while the kneecap mends is going to set her PT back quite a bit.

Anyone know if I can just steal a knee they can swap in like a car part?

Samadhi fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 14, 2023

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

No joke, I had never had any isolated fractured patellas in the prior 12-13yrs, and I had two in a shift last summer.

It’s incredible how they just exploded. Both women were in excruciating pain—one immediately passed out when I picked her up off the floor lol.

Regards to your wife—that is a gnarly injury.

And echoing swick—get legal involved because you don’t need to be paying a cent for that, and they need to be covering additional pain and lost wages due to extended rehab from their fuckup.

I'll post more later, but her PT is not at fault. Also, we have ridiculous insurance through her work. The total out of pocket for all of this will be <$500 total for:

*meniscus surgery
*ACL surgery
*30+ sessions of PR in the past and going forward
*Ambulance ride after the patella break
*Patella reconstruction

edit: She was going to the gym, in which her health care provider's PT office has an office, on her own accord for resistance training in the recovery pool. It was not during a scheduled PT session. She went on her own time to help work on quad strength for the ACL recovery.

She has a temporary pass to the gym for self-guided PT and slipped on water outside the pool. This is in Wisconsin. We are not worried about the financial burden due to the reasons above RE: her insurance

Samadhi fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 14, 2023

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Update, it's back. Thermostat says 59, which isn't nearly as bad as last year when it got down to 50. We were out of town and our cat was here solo and terrified because the carbon monoxide detector was chirping low battery.

e: well it was back for a few minutes anyway, which hopefully means it's close

Please update ASAP

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Has anyone done a wellness check on General Dog

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

What sports would weed actually be a competitive advantage in? Long jumping would not be my first guess.

Staring contests

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Post this as bait for Braksgirl

https://twitter.com/WavezOnSwim_/status/1651418585565126656?t=eOGPZeUmbP5lb-YYRmVzYA&s=19

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Anyone got a good desk recommendation?

We just bought some Uplift desks that will be delivered Monday, will report back

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

CannonFodder posted:

Friday morning driving home from work I was almost rear-ended while driving on the interstate. I was in the slow lane going the speed limit, just chilling, and I noticed headlights closing in on me, and fast. I hit the go fast pedal and went from 65 to 80 quite quickly and the other driver barely missed me as they went to the fast lane at I'm guessing 90 or higher.

And I drive for a living so I see this poo poo all the time, but at least if they rear-end my trailer I'm totally in the clear and don't have to get a rental while it's repaired (and it would probably win the fight that I didn't ask for)

I was on the way to Chicago south of Milwaukee early one morning and passed an accident where a convertible corvette had run slightly into, mostly under the rear bar of a semi trailer. The top of the car was crushed downward but the front end made it most of the way to the rear axle. There appeared to be no survivors in the car. I am sure the driver of the car was just dicking around and not paying attention, and all the semi trailer had to show for it was some very slightly bent steel.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

The rear bar on trucks was put there to actually stop decapitations, but doesn’t work if you’re running a short car I imagine.

All my cars are short, baby

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Looking good, Senator Feinstein

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

1-84 better watch yourselves, going to make my posting comeback

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

swickles posted:

We got pre-approved, going to look at houses in 3 weeks. Have a short list and hoping nothing moves. Guess this is actually happening!

My coworker is looking at buying a house with his husband and everything in our market sells immediately for well over asking. The first house they offered on they lost out to someone/some business that paid $90k over asking, cash.

Madison is consistently rated one of the best places to live and work though, and housing supply is incredibly low, so it's not really indicative of everywhere.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Uhh, can you really call it the same as "everywhere else that isn't the middle of nowhere" if it's on an isthmus? I think not.

Your state plays "duck duck grey duck" so every thought and opinion you have is suspect

p.s. Paul Bunyan was from Wisconsin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

swickles posted:

Yeah, its in Wilkes-Barre, PA. The good news is that its only two hours from NYC and Philly!

Weird, was sure Wilkes-Barre was a syndrome. Maybe that's where it comes from, be careful