Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Starting at least 2 months of sobriety with this new year.

Also, sorry for your loss Abugadu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna do dry January, then try to hold off on drinking through Lent, so... no drinking till April. I did it last year, and the year prior.

My heart rate drops significantly during this time, and yeah I generally just feel a lot better. It's weird how that works.

Also, I'm getting married this year ahhhhh

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

shirts and skins posted:

Heya TFF! Hope you're having a great new year. I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been distracted by a few things, but I'm still around.

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I'm taking the "new year new you" thing seriously, and by that I mean that I came to terms with being trans. So, yeah! Same shirts, maybe some new cuts of fabric. She/her, and it's a pleasure to re-introduce myself.

:nice:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LeeMajors posted:

I don’t think it’s a bad thing or anything it just seems like an ineffective way to combat the problem, but one that is showy enough for a resume. Paper thin politics.

It certainly feels like a political boomer meme made into policy.

"LIKE and SHARE if you think drunk drivers killing parents should pay child support!"

The intention is nice but functionally doesn't seem to help the case if the driver is in jail nor is enforcement clear cut.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Amy Pole Her posted:

So the solution here is to punish them... less?

The solution should be that the government can support a child who is now parentless instead of putting the burden upon someone who has no means to pay it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Amy Pole Her posted:

I mean, yeah, absolutely. I agree with you in a perfect world that is the response. No question. In that world - You likely have less drunk drivers because we have actual mental health support and don’t live in a society that simply lives for angry punishment. But that’s not reality.

We can’t even discuss it in good faith without folks bending over backwards to make weird creepy hyperbole like the above. There’s a reason folks ignore genuine questions like mine (making the sentencing take into consideration the victim being a single parent / it being a modifier, etc) and simply scream “fix it!” And when you offer genuine attempts at a solution… it gets called racist and classist.

The law does get unevenly applied so I don't think it's necessarily bad that people are thinking about this. For example, early last year, the county I lived in repealed wearing a helmet on a bike (which is a noble idea and in theory should save lives), because cops only went after minority people who weren't wearing them. The analysis showed the discriminatory costs were hurting them more than the push to have them wear helmets.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I got a sodastream for Christmas. It's been excellent thus far, and Target has a canister exchange for $15. I like a little bit of carbonation, but not as much as what's in La Croix or other carbonated water.

That said, finding syrups in store has been a pain as everywhere is sold out (and all the Bed Bath and Beyonds near me have closed).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My grandma went to the doctor in her late 70s and found out she needed quadruple bypass surgery. That recovery was rough. She was on all sorts of drugs that made her hallucinate so it more or less meant she had to have a family member be around 24/7 because she would want to pull out all the IVs in her arm and try to get away.

Her mind was never quite the same after that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I once made Japanese curry with stew meat in an instant pot and it took me about half an hour to make. The stew meat was perfectly tender.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not really sure what the big deal is with keto. My mom is a (retired) dietician and noted that keto and Atkins style diets are rubber band diets where you immediately gain all the weight you lost after going off of it - anecdotally this true for the people I know who have done both diets. The diets that seem to work are Mediterranean (which can be expensive) and DASH, but I don't actually know anyone who's done it. I've wanted to try Mediterranean for some time, but just can't commit to changing my pantry like that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LLCoolJD posted:

I know a drag queen, I don't care about drag queen shows, but I don't think that kind of performative behavior is age-appropriate for young kids. That's all it amounts to. I wouldn't be so quick to ascribe evil motives to all of the opposition. That's no better than those who're calling the queens groomers.

There has been no kids that have ever been molested at a drag queen story hour. We've been entertained by drag from a young age, it's all about the act. Bugs Bunny constantly did drag in Looney Tunes cartoons, one of the greatest comedies of all time is spent with 3/4ths of the leads in drag. Shakespeare did all of his plays with actors playing women in drag. Kids aren't thinking of it as a sexual thing, it's a performance thing.

Are there adult drag shows? Sure. I've been to one, but I had to show my ID just like any other age restricted event.

Kalli posted:

This wouldn't strike me as immensely malicious or imbecilic if Hooters didn't have a loving kids menu. Don't be either please.

Look, I'm trying to kill Hooters as fast as I can.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Skwirl posted:

It's also just, kids like flamboyant people dressed funny, they find it entertaining.

I remember as a young kid going to a local library where story time hours took place. I don't recall if there were any drag performers but I probably would have found it more entertaining if I did!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Happy birthday, silly burrito!

Also, who's paying Bolsanaro's hospital bills

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pickle juice chaser after a shot of Jameson is a strangely magical combo, and will increase your sodium levels to match your BAC.

My kidneys ache just reading this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm in tech and we went through a pretty big layoff because while we were making profit, we weren't making ~enough~ profit for Wall Street. Those laid off got a nice severance. So, I'm glad you got yours, Joey.

Now my entire year is spent negotiating costs we need to recuperate, weeee

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1613004136168964096?t=SkBsCX-4kC-7EC-gU_bAkw&s=19

Proud of him

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

dirty shrimp money posted:

All I can say is never get a Kenmore. I got a full set of Kenmore stuff on Black Friday in 2017 because I had to replace my entire kitchen after Harvey and it's all I could afford. While the induction range and convection oven is ok, the microwave and dishwasher have both died and been replaced and the fridge is going to join them some time this year. Just bad.

Kenmore is also the Sears brand and Sears probably won't exist by the end of 2023. Maybe sooner!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Apparently that massive PR hit Sears took when they plagiarized a design for a ratcheting wrench was a nightmare for them.

Kind of sad, there's somehow a Sears not too far from me and I shop there. What little tools they have are decently priced (all Craftsman too) but they've completely closed off the 3rd floor which used to be all appliances. Their clothes smell like chemicals too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bird in a Blender posted:

You still have a working Sears? I think even in Chicago they're all gone, and we're the hometown of Sears. Only thing I can find are Sears Appliance Repair places.

Yeah, there's a major mall near the airport that somehow still has a Sears. Early last year it was sort of fun to shop there because there were a ton of tools you could buy at a discount from somewhere like Amazon. But now it's gone from like 10 rows of tools to like 3 rows. I could basically buy a set of screwdrivers, or a craftsman's mechanics toolset: https://www.sears.com/craftsman-450...DQxR0JUHVjHntGW

Ah well. There's a local hardware store near me that I love shopping at that as far as I can tell is only available in WA state.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

harperdc posted:

Lloyd Center absolutely deserves to be reborn in that mold and model, even if it takes a few years to get there. That area has service by Portland’s light rail, a ton of parking and a fairly central location. I have a lot of love for that place from growing up in NE.

As a kid I loved shopping at Lloyd Center when my parents would head down there for a day trip. Going there a couple of years ago pre COVID was a sad affair when 2/3rds of the store were closed besides a Hot Topic, a Made in Oregon store (which suspiciously sells a lot of the same things as a Made in Washington store), and an FYM or whatever replaced Suncoast these days.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

drat shame about Sears, I was going to call them this summer about a home air conditioning system.

Should have called now!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is The Banshees of Inisherin any good? Seeing it win big at the Golden Globes makes me a bit interested in it. Or did they just do a remake of In Bruges, given the cast / director.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

what the gently caress are you trying to say

I liked In Bruges, I'm just wondering if it's an actual different film. Kind of like how Shaun of the Dead and World's End are the same film (Hot Fuzz was good enough to feel different from them).

Also, I'm seeing clips of that new Velma cartoon, and holy poo poo lol Mindy Kaling should never be allowed to pitch a TV show again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Amy Pole Her posted:

It’s that bad eh? Same Vulture writer who absolutely trashed it completely trashed Harley Quinn so I was under the assumption she was just an idiot

I'm not exactly sure who this joke is appealing to!

https://twitter.com/Stupacabra/status/1613556384817184768?t=5Hu1DL6QH8Zq-gNfAh7pmQ&s=19

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
*Remember Me starts playing*

https://twitter.com/supergtworld/status/1613696929937891330?t=thsP206x1veD39KToqlkDA&s=19

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

This is like those weirdos that do 2 hours sleep 4 hours awake through the day.

I remember reading about the uberman sleep cycle in college and wondering if it was real too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah ketchup is fine on hot dogs even if it’s not my usual, and people need to quit being dicks about food preferences.

If no other options I'll take ketchup on my hotdogs. And it's fine!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Skwirl posted:

That's just a massive failure of traffic design. The idea that people would be able to navigate a five way stop is delusional. Every single 5 way intersection I've ever seen uses traffic lights.

Surely you haven't forgotten the most infamous intersection in Seattle:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KBAnELotPKM4HhqL8

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Happy MLK day

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/bugliker/status/1615040686159429652?t=T1huJUuehJ69eQUgYv-lbg&s=19

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I did finally finish Andor and yeah, just an absolute excellent show that stands out on its own aside from Star Wars. Also, watching it after finishing The Bear was funny when you see Cousin Ritchie in a different role but almost essentially playing the same character.

I put on Clone Wars if I'm bored and it's been a nice background show. If someone has that list of condensed episodes I'd love it. Skip the filler episodes like Naruto :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LeeMajors posted:

Wheel is bullshit for a lot of reasons. I still contend they pay a little person to hide under the wheel and perform precision braking to vaporize all the contestants’ earnings if they’re doing too well.

My favorite Wheel conspiracy is that when it gets to the final round and Pat does a spin, he's so good at it he can hit the $5k if he feels like it but only if he actually likes the contestants.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's an AI chatbot of historical figures out as a way to be "educational" to students, and it's going about as well as you'd expect for an AI chatbot:

https://twitter.com/mediumproof/status/1615840740579643395

https://twitter.com/StyledApe/status/1615736768417996806

https://twitter.com/yelanusssy/status/1616046474323795973?t=DgnPihzdml4QZSKZdQgS8A&s=19

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Dry January check in: my heart thanks me

Basically after dealing with a cold in the middle of the month (which caused that small spike), mixed with working out 4-5 times a week, my resting heart rate is going down a lot! I've already lost a good amount of weight too.

I kinda hate that alcohol is so intertwined with society, because yeah it's not really helping us.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

i fixed a leaking toilet and also the drippy shower this weekend, hell yeah plumbing
get this though
I only had to go to home depot once

I should check if my toilets are leaking in my new house, since my wastewater bill is high each month.

Honestly, all the toilets in this house are old, likely been here since the house was built ('93) and could use a replacement anyway. Could definitely get one of them fancy lo-flo toilets.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

If it's a normal toilet you can get replacement guts for the tank and you can somewhat adjust how much water is in it when it shuts off the refill by lowering the float, although you don't want to lower it too much. My mom used to just put a brick in the tank to reduce its capacity during droughts. That was very silly.

You can probably also just replace the tank on the back if you want a lower capacity one. Honestly toilets are cheap, but if you gotta break the wax seal on the floor you're in for a gross messy time so I'm thankful I haven't had to do that in my own house yet.

All that said, your toilets aren't using most of the water you use, unless they're constantly flowing/leaking. You use way more water showering and doing dishes and if you have a lawn you're using far far more just watering it than almost anything else.

There's one toilet downstairs that our inspector said is probably needing to be replaced since it's gotten unstable over time, so that one is probably gonna be replaced anyway so I may as well get that done.

We got a new dishwasher since the one in the house was borked and required to be run twice to clean stuff, but even with the newer, nicer dishwasher that hasn't changed the water bill so probably means I gotta take shorter showers :shrug:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Double post but I got a catnip infused grocery bag, and

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was reading an article about EV/hybrid trucks basically being a waste. The amount of effort going into them takes away from EV efforts for actual vehicles that it'd be useful, because trucks need a much bigger battery, and the amount of raw material is double that of an EV car. Being EVs are still a pain to find right now, I don't disagree with the assessment.

(we need to just get rid of cars as much as possible and replace with alternate modes of transportation / redesign cities to be closer and walkable but lol that's never happening in America anytime soon)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Oscar nominations are out, and honestly - it's mostly movies people watched (or should watch) instead of the usual oscar bait. EEAAO got 11 (!) nominations, Banshees got a bunch, so did Top Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Rick and Morty has always fallen into the category of "turn it on at the hotel TV when nothing else is on" for me. I'd never willingly go out of my way to watch it.