Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pain of Mind posted:

Does the 40 hour work week work for two working parents? It feels like every weekend is spent cleaning.

Not very well, but it is absolutely necessary.

I could rent my 755sq foot house 2/1 in a poor part of town out for $1300/month or so. Standard I've seen for apartment and house rentals is proof of 3x monthly rent in income. This would require that someone be making $22.50/hr to rent my tiny home. Minimum wage in FL is $11/hr. The median household income in my city is $23.50/wk.

Poor people are getting hosed harder and harder every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skwirl posted:

Does the entire house vote, or just the majority party? Like, I know it would never happen, but if the Democrats unified and then pulled 5 Republicans could they make their own guy speaker?

The entire house. Current rules require a majority of people present. There are 232 present with 234 total reps and one vacancy. I don't know who the two missing people are, and they may have just been missing for the first vote.

The democratic nominee Jeffries has won each of the first two votes and is about to win the third, but not by a majority. If they drag on long enough they can agree to elect a speaker by plurality by modifying the rules with just a majority vote.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bird in a Blender posted:

Sort of. My understanding is they need a majority of all the voters in that round. If a bunch of people missed the vote, then that number goes down. There’s rumors that some R’s are going to put due to medical appointments, and a death in the family. If enough leave, the Dems could win.

This is also why Sparks voting present is important. It has shifted the threshold to 217 already. Even if Buck was there, since she's voting "present" there are only 433 votes and 217 is majority.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Leperflesh posted:

If he wins, is that it for 2 years, or can they just like decide to hold another vote next week and replace him

They can hold another vote at any time but whether they can get a majority vote or not is a different story.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

True. And there’s a wild card strategy McCarthy could employ where he tells some of his own supporters to leave. He forces the crazy wing to chose between himself or Jeffries.

Gaetz has already said he prefers plurality speaker Jeffries to McCarthy as speaker.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LLCoolJD posted:

I know a drag queen, I don't care about drag queen shows, but I don't think that kind of performative behavior is age-appropriate for young kids. That's all it amounts to. I wouldn't be so quick to ascribe evil motives to all of the opposition. That's no better than those who're calling the queens groomers.

Drag queen story hour has nothing to do with sex. It’s more akin to a clown reading to kids than anything relating to sex. They’re not showing up in their skimpiest drag show outfit. They’re dressed appropriately for the audience. That you think they’re stripping or doing something inappropriate tells me you’ve never been to one of these readings, and that the right wing propaganda is working to poison the minds of anyone else who isn’t aware of what’s going on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Amy Pole Her posted:

Offensive to relate them to clowns imo

That was actually a metaphor someone else used that I felt was appropriate. Big flashy makeup and big bright clothes along with over the top personality and such.

It’s a very similar type of performance when it comes to drag story hour.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BlindSite posted:

Probably better to just leave kids alone instead of using them as a political football for dumb causes.

It’s not using kids as political football. It’s just people reading stories to children while dressed up. Some of the drag performers are trans and are just wearing a little more flair/makeup than their day to day wear.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What is shocking or subversive about someone reading books to kids?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don’t want to call other posters transphobic or homophobic, because I don’t know them, and I don’t think that’s the case. I think people are just not exposed to what things actually are and fill in the blanks with the worst because the hateful pervasive propaganda is everywhere.

I do like the Dolly Parton example and will use that in the future as well, though, braks! Thanks :)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Braksgirl posted:

That's fair. It's sort of my go-to to think the worst of people. I'm working on me.

S’all good! It’s an easy reaction to have!

BlindSite posted:

It wouldn't shock me if people wouldn't take their kids to hooters and I wouldn't immediately assume they had a phobia of boobs.

You’re right! It isn’t a bad thing to not take their kids to hooters. I don’t think anyone would have a problem with Dolly Parton reading books to kids, though. I think that’s a better comparison than hooters.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Big Jesus posted:

I’ve never heard of drag queen story hour. So is it just a drag queen dressed not as flamboyantly reading typical kids stories? Is the purpose just to teach kids that drag queens/trans people are ‘regular’ people too?

It’s something that only really started in the last decade or so, and, yes, that is part of the purpose. The other part is just reading to kids to grow their love of literature.

Here’s more if you wanna read about it: https://www.dragstoryhour.org

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Freaquency posted:

That’s the price if you buy through iOS to counteract Apple’s 30% surcharge. It’s very dumb but it will also only rip off the worst people so I can’t be bothered to get worked up about it.

I think that might be against apples TOS but I could be wrong.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Braksgirl posted:

So for his birthday SB asked our daughter to draw him Superman fighting a sharknado that had a minimum of 4 sharks. This is the outcome. Do you ever look at your kid and wonder how something so infinitely cool came from you? I do. All the time.

That’s incredible!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fifty Three posted:

Banning gas stoves sure seems like it's going to gently caress over a lot of poor people for the sake of shuffling responsibility for Earth away from corporations

That's not why they want to restrict them. They want to get rid of them because they cause asthma.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

How the gently caress do so many Floridians vote for him then? I don’t get it.

Because the democratic party ran a republican against him, and they ran a cop against rubio.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yep, in fact I just did an image search for fatheads and it looks like you can get fatheads made that aren't sports-related. Never thought of that, but I never thought of getting a fathead either.

For a GIP secret santa years ago I got a poster a fathead of chris pratt in his gotg setup because they had a crush on him. Said poster regifted it because his partner wouldn’t let him hang it up at home, and I’ve never felt more heartbroken.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Freaquency posted:

This new house we moved into has much, much better water pressure than our old apartment. I installed our bidet last night and this morning, well:

https://youtu.be/YlacOX68OME

They sell adapters for this. I have one on mine. I have it basically shut so that I can have full pressure to the toilet still but very limited pressure to the bidet. Here's the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPYIK6M/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FizFashizzle posted:

meanwhile in Atlanta, a group of cops murdered someone protesting the construction of their bajillion acre cop academy and somehow none of their cameras were working

There weren’t wearing them. I didn’t know Tort personally, but he’s from my town and we were at a lot of protests together. The local activist community is really loving hurt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

seiferguy posted:

I should check if my toilets are leaking in my new house, since my wastewater bill is high each month.

Honestly, all the toilets in this house are old, likely been here since the house was built ('93) and could use a replacement anyway. Could definitely get one of them fancy lo-flo toilets.

If your toilets were leaking your regular water bill would be high not your waste bill. A leaking toilet will constantly be refilling. My local utility will contact you if your water seems to be running nonstop because your toilet is leaking, a faucet has been running for days, or a pipe broke somewhere.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Android Apocalypse posted:

I now await for a MCU romcom.

Thor: Love and Thunder is a romcom.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

swickles posted:

I thought it was so they can go ham on the cop city protesters?

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1618710860196904961?t=vtLnyJAGDouXUFbifQmrtg&s=19

Might be a convenient thing either way, but yeah, even if nobody actually protests this is gonna be an excuse to do all kinds of poo poo under the guise of "people are looting!"

This is correct after a combination of federal, state, and local police murdered someone who just moments before had been asleep in his tent.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LeeMajors posted:

I really don’t understand the opinion of all these dudes thinking that women exist to complement their loving chauvinistic dementia.

they aren’t around just for your loving amusement, you insufferable dork

But they’ll never get that because, to them, women are dick-massaging reproductive machines and/or trophy wives only.

This is, in part, due to our society basically giving women zero agency in most pop media over the past couple hundred years.

Just think how many movies or tv shows fail the really simple and straightforward Bechdel test. I know that most tv and movies I consumed as a kid instructed me that women were just objects top fawn and fight over.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Unexpectedly our wok does work on the induction stove, but we don't have proper ventilation for me to try getting it that hot. We got an outdoor propane ring to do our frying outside, so I'm going to do the same thing with that (in a few months when it's not -7F).

They actually make induction wok burners. You can get standalone ones. If you wok often, then they're definitely worth it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Someone needs a better grundle guard while biking.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So why was it a controlled explosion that has seemingly released a ton of toxic fumes to everyone’s surprise?

It was a slow controlled release rather than catastrophic explosion that would have made a much bigger mess.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

At some point in the future some entity is going to be excavating and discover the plastic line much like the k-t barrier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:rip: to a good cat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BlindSite posted:

Gdt thread already full of the yearly dickheads.

That’s just eagles fans.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LeeMajors posted:

These Jesus commercials really creep me the gently caress out. Cult poo poo.

They’re from a hardcore right group that is anti lbgt as gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Neil Armbong posted:

Which group is it?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/11/us/he-gets-us-super-bowl-commercials-cec/index.html

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you can't take the heat, stay out of Miami. Have you been there in August? Your balls stick to your legs like crazy glue.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That's the only thing I remember from North.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kalli posted:

Yeah I mean we all have movies as a kid that we loved that we know not to revisit because they're probably terrible

Like I have fond memories of Short Circuit 2, but I know to leave well enough alone and not recommend anyone actually watch it.

Los Locos kick your rear end. Los Locos kick your face. Los Locos kick your balls into out er spaaaaace!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

C-Euro posted:

That first Shrek is still a pretty good movie, ignoring the weird place that franchise now occupies in internet culture.

I remember a couple of middle school field trips to go see movies, for whatever insane reason my middle school decided to rent out a movie theater and fill it with middle schoolers. Shrek was one of those trips as was the first Harry Potter movie.

It was years after it had been out that my dad first watched it and said he was shocked that they named someone lord fuckwad in a kids movie. I never put that together before that moment because I'm a smart man.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

C-Euro posted:

I never put that together before this moment, so I'm going to throw myself into the river now.

Haha don’t feel bad! There are plenty of us who didn’t get it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

swickles posted:

Ruth Chris is the most hit or miss place, and its entirely on whoever owns the location. I used to go to the North Palm Beach one (RIP) and thought that Ruth Chris was the undisputed champ. Never had a bad experience or a bad steak there. Then I went to the one in Boca and one in Miami and they were straight trash. I think it helped the North Palm Beach one because the clientele was rich, but not super rich where tipping was lovely. One waitress I knew there basically only worked during the season, cleared six figures, and just picked up a couple summer shifts here and there. She also got hired by a lot of her regulars to do poo poo like tend bar and serve appetizers at private parties and would make an obscene amount doing that too. I am sure the chefs there had similar deals considering that they were pretty stable in staff for a long rear end time by restaurant standards.

Ruth’s Chris.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Leperflesh posted:

So my mom's parkinsons that she's had for, oh, 7-8 years now, apparently according to her new neurologist is actually lewy body dementia? Which apparently can look a lot like parkinsons? This is bad news, because it means she's already at the average length of survival with this disease. The silver lining is that they'll change her meds and maybe her immediate quality of life will improve.

Sorry leper. That's what got Robin Williams. Hopefully they caught her soon enough and the meds help well enough to keep things good with her for a while.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I use cholula on my canned fish like sardines or kippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ether Frenzy posted:

Elon's a hilarious bozo. Being a CEO can't be that hard if you have time to do it across 3 companies and also post terrible poo poo memes during a complete meltdown Company 3's only product.

Brilliantly executed. :golfclap:

Three companies? Tesla, SpaceX, Twitter, Boring, Neuralink.

And you’re right that CEOs aren’t special. They’re just rich and connected, generally speaking.