Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Member the other day when I was saying my company was looking at me to take over a bigger role, more responsibilities etc?

Lol I got laid off instead. 20% of employees

e: Aw man and I lost my avatar I loved that avatar

drat man I'm sorry. Getting laid off loving blows.

FizFashizzle posted:

PBJ is superior imo

PBR and a shot of Jameson

In Austin I went to a bar that offered a “Mexican Blowjob” which was a Lonestar Beer + Jameson (LBJ)

Come to Chicago and I'll get you a Chicago Handshake, Old Style and a shot of Malort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oh so that’s why a lot of Jeff Beck was on the radio today.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

That’s lovely that your partner had to go through that TT. Hope she can use this time to reset and find a job where she’s not getting harassed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Something makes me think that Manchin comes cheap these days. He's been in the fossil fuel back pocket for so long maybe he doesn't even need to be paid off anymore.

I'm actually looking at induction ranges right now, but man they are expensive. If it helps me get natural gas out of my home though, it'll pay for itself.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Blowjob Overtime posted:

We got the Frigidaire Gallery series that sticks out as being relatively cheap compared to the rest of the CR list screenshotted here, and I loving love it:

The only difference between those bottom two is whether the controls are on the front or back.

Ours replaced the cheapest electric we could find to temporarily bridge the gap from broken oven that came with the house and eventually gas after kitchen remodel. Induction got enough positive feedback and that model is competitively priced compared to gas, so we pulled the trigger before redoing the kitchen.

Good to know. The Frigidaire one, and there's an LG one that are my top two. Wife and I are supposed to go to the store soon to go look at them and pick. Only problem is I need an electrician to run a 240V outlet for me. That shouldn't be a big deal because my panel is directly below my kitchen, and I have spares in my panel to add the breaker, but I still need to get someone out soon.

I plan to eventually get an electric dryer, and then the only gas thing in my house will be my furnace. I have a heat pump, but once it gets below 35, I have to turn on gas. At least this way I can go like 9 months out of the year not needing natural gas in my home.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Sears had an entire credit service, store, great brand value, and even their own ISP in the 90s. There's a different Universe where Amazon doesn't exist and we're shopping the Sears Catalog App for our cheap poo poo.

It's the modern day version of wondering why China didn't have the industrial revolution like 900 years ago.

It's probably a good lesson on how large corporations can become stagnant, and then completely flop when the world changes around them and they don't adapt. To be fair though, Sears was already on a downward slope when the dot com era was taking off in the late 90s. It would have taken a really visionary CEO to turn that boat around.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Apparently that massive PR hit Sears took when they plagiarized a design for a ratcheting wrench was a nightmare for them.

Kind of sad, there's somehow a Sears not too far from me and I shop there. What little tools they have are decently priced (all Craftsman too) but they've completely closed off the 3rd floor which used to be all appliances. Their clothes smell like chemicals too.

You still have a working Sears? I think even in Chicago they're all gone, and we're the hometown of Sears. Only thing I can find are Sears Appliance Repair places.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

drat shame about Sears, I was going to call them this summer about a home air conditioning system.

I bet your wife is pissed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL has somehow managed to keep chugging along. They've lost some stores, but as far as I know they generally keep filling them with someone else. It was the biggest mall in the US back when it was built, but that's like 50 years ago. I haven't been in it for like 5 years or more though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I went to a very rich middle school for 6th and 7th grade because one of my uncles taught there and spent a ton of unsupervised time at Bellevue Square, the Seatttle area's most boring mall. I was a poorer fat kid and got followed around Ambrocrombe and Fitch by a sales teen when one friend wanted to shop there and that god forsaken perfume/cologne just hung around in a cloud for days. I also spent a buch of time after school at the Tower Records or Barnes and Noble nearby. I bought my first VHS tapes at Tower Records: a bunch of DiC Sailor Moon dub tape and later the first 2 Gundam 0083 tapes because it had a big robots and my grandma was annoyed that I only got girl cartoons my brother wouldn't watch. Good times.

A lot of time in my high school years was spent at Tower Records. Me and my friends usually had some weekend routines of go hang out at the Baker's Square and get free drinks and pie because the servers liked us, then go to either Tower Records, or the local indie record store. It was either that or play N64 at someone's house. Occasionally we'd actually have a show to go to, so we'd head to the city. Ah the fun times of suburban teenage living.

Tower Records was preferred because they had all those listening booths, so you could possibly find some new music. They also sold tickets there, anything run through ticketmaster, which was nearly everything at the time. So it was a convenient place to get tickets if we needed them too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sears used to ship you a house by rail. Some assembly required.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GD_American posted:

Wow, the new Velma is absolutely terrible

I saw some stuff on Twitter and it looked dire.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yes that was it. loving awful.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Friends, I’ve got the sads today for some reason.

And those snips from Velma have only made it worse.

I’m watching John Wick, so can I recommend getting a dog to help? It worked for him.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

BlindSite posted:

It was a think tank wasn't it?

Both. Some were found at some think tank and then some were found in Biden’s garage.

Hopefully it comes out as just some accident where a staffer shoved them in a box and then everyone forgot about it. It’s the worst loving timing though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kimchi is normally served cold, but you could cook it in a pan too if you’re serving it with something hot. I eat that poo poo right out of the jar a lot. Thank god Chicago has a big Korean community. I can get large quantities of kimchi for relatively cheap.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kimchi on a hot dog is underutilized. Also have that dog with a side of kimchi fries. Can’t go wrong with kimchi.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

I have never done this and I will now do this. Maybe tomorrow. gently caress this sounds amazing. What else is good to add to the dog? Sriracha? Or like a sriracha mayo sauce blend? Crushed fried wonton chips?

I have had kimchi fries but I was so loving stuffed from the tonkotsu that I just picked at them. They were delicious though.

I usually just do kimchi on the dog, but a siracha mayo sounds pretty good. Depends how much spice you like I guess. Could do some relish since the sweetness would offset some of the acidity of the kimchi.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I finally got around to finishing Hereditary last night. I tried watching it a couple years ago, but turned it off shortly after the light pole beheading. It was good, but a little too slow. The film takes a narrative turn in the second half that kind of comes out of nowhere, and I’m still not sure how I feel about it. Felt like something that was done just to up the gore factor.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

kiimo posted:

It's Chicago. They need to stop being dicks about everything. It's miserable in Chicago most of the time. Hell they love to scream at people for saying they live in Chicago depending how many minutes it takes to drive to the lake.

Everything about Chicago makes Chicagoans angry, even what to call the freeways

We’re not miserable. We’re pretentious!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You guys must hang around some weird people because I’ve never met anyone in chicago that actually truly cares about ketchup on hot dogs or who has the better pizza. It’s usually all said in jest. And the weather here is fine most of the time. Except July, July loving sucks.

E: we’re usually considered friendly too! Here’s one where we’re 9th in the country. I’m actually more upset about someone saying we’re full of assholes.

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/2015-08-11the-2015-friendliest-and-unfriendliest-cities-in-the-us/amp

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

kiimo posted:

Sorry if it seemed like I was baggin on Chicago, you can go there and interact with Carmy Berzatto and think wow what a great town or you can go there and interact with Cousin Richie and think that place needs to be condemned.

Also since we're talking about Chicago / LA, this guy gets it

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnFXH6fJiMT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Ha it’s ok. It’s not like we don’t have our fair share of assholes so I could see where someone could have a lovely experience. Hard to avoid with a couple million people.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Anyone else off today? I woke up to a holiday with a sore throat ☹️

My wife is off and I'm not, so I'm a little grumpy about that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

Having a 3 day weekend is nice, was able to spend Saturday and Sunday cleaning, and still a day to bask in a clean house.

In sort of a catch-22 situation with my 14 year old dog, where she should probably get to the vet at some point since her health is slowly declining, but she has enough pep where you cannot comfortably commit to getting her euthanized. She had bloodwork as a prerequisite for a teeth cleaning, and they said she was not healthy enough to get anesthesia due to liver issues, with a thought that she might have liver cancer and they wanted to give her an MRI and do a bunch more bloodwork to confirm that diagnosis. We declined, because even if she had cancer we were not going to put a 14 year old dog through chemo/surgery. It feels like she is too healthy to put down, but not healthy enough to try and fix anything. I am assuming whenever the next vet appointment is will be the last one, but it feels so ... discretionary, like we get to choose when we get rid of her.

This is almost exactly me with my 17 year old cat. Went to the vet in November and they did an x-ray and found a mass in her lung. They said it's 90% certain it's cancer. I declined to do a biopsy or do more treatment since my cat is old, and they said treatment usually only extends the cat's life by a few months. She seems generally fine, still eating, still meowing, but I can tell she's not eating as much, and is really slowing down. The amount of time she spends resting is even higher than normal. I have a feeling she's going to seem fine until all of a sudden she won't be and then I'll have to make the call.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Desperately lobbying congress to come up with a bunch of new holidays so I always have an excuse to deflect a question.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Death Cab/Postal Service are doing a Transatlanticism/Give Up tour where they're just playing both albums.

its already sold out

poo poo. poo poo

Somehow they're not coming to Chicago, not even close to Chicago. I guess glad I saw Postal Service about 5 years ago. Maybe you could buy some on the secondary market, if you don't care about paying out the nose.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

If I were a gambling man I'd put money on them playing Riot Fest

Is the pitchfork schedule out because postal service is way more of a pitchfork band than riot fest.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kalli posted:

When it got to the if you got dogs to go with your apes you can get different levels of tickets and buy boosts I was certain it was taking the piss

I was wrong.

But are there any slurp juices?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

25 years ago today, my mom died from ovarian cancer. Just want to say hug your loved ones because you never know when something will take them from you.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I only watched the last 3 episodes of Boba Fett, and I was very grateful that was all I watched. I didn't even really need to watch more than the 1 stand alone Mandalorian episode. The others were pretty bad.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

There was a tweet somewhere about Desantis burning everything to the ground to go toe to toe with Trump, and then Trump undoing it 5min into the first debate by calling him Miss Florida and it’s really stuck with me.

Dude is a confrontational, malignant shithead but he’s a charisma black hole, he’s short and he has a funny voice and it’s not going to resonate with those Trump addled boomers.

How the gently caress do so many Floridians vote for him then? I don’t get it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

You may actually have too much water pressure. If it's above 80psi, you need a regulator on your supply or it'll rapidly erode all the valve seals (faucets, etc) in your house. Excessive water pressure is common in new homes where the builder didn't bother to test after water was turned on and install appropriate equipment if needed.

How is he going to take a shower like this though if he lowers the pressure?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GrossWhirlwindGuppy-mobile.mp4

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kalli posted:

RIP David Crosby

drat, guess I’m going to listen to CSNY tonight. I was curious and I found out his son via sperm donation to Melissa Etheridge died from overdose in 2020, so that’s loving sad.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

From everything I saw about it, The Newsroom was a pretty terrible show. The climate change clip is still pretty good though, and depressing as all gently caress. I never watched Don't Look Up because I really didn't need a movie to tell me something I already know. I think I just would've gotten more depressed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I thought it was a patchwork denim jacket at first.

E: oh great, seeing news that cops in Memphis beat a man to death at a traffic stop. No video yet.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 21, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Blowjob Overtime posted:

What's a good place to start in Crusader Kings 3 if I've done 90% of Ireland about three times between CK2 and CK3? Understand most of the basics, but not ready for a crucible.

1066 Bohemia is pretty easy. You’re a vassal in the Holy Roman Empire, so you’re not too likely to get attacked. You start with house seniority succession, which is kind of weird, but you don’t have to deal with partition.

Haesstein in 867 is pretty good too, it’s a very flexible starting spot.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Is there an Asia expansion pack for Crusader Kings? I'd be interesting in playing if I can be like Song dynasty. On the other hand maybe I just want Harem Politcs: the Game.

They go as far east as Mongolia, Central China, and down to Burma. That’s all in the base game. Politically though, they act essentially the same as Europe. CK3 is really lacking in political variety, everyone is either feudal, clan (which is treated very similar to feudal), and tribal.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anyone have any good book recommendations? I’ve kind of hit a wall with what to read. I’m open to anything really

Breakfast of Champions

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

After 2 years of constantly putting off getting my car detailed, I took it in today. The catalyst was my wife getting sick and puking all over herself and the car. My car was a little ripe this morning. Thankfully seems like just a bout of food poisoning for my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

T-Square posted:

Lol I’m being lectured for being bad at video games by an anime av Games poster I’ve never heard of in the TFF chat thread

Go Bengos

Maybe you should git gud?

i have never played that game and I would probably suck at it.