Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

(Previous threads: 2012-2014, 2014-2017, 2018-2019, 2020-2022)

:siren: Regular maintenance happens about 4pm PST Tuesdays. If Steam goes down around then, that's probably why. Head to Steamstat.us to verify that it's not just you.
:siren: Want to join the official Something Awful group? Head thataway.
:siren: IRC. Still kicking. Details here. If you prefer Mumble, we've got that too.

It's the goddamned Steam thread, you know why you're here. Post about PC games. Don't post about other clients.

Other Steam Threads:
Steam Deck
List of Useful Discords
Found a piece of trash on Steam and want to mock its existence?
Paywalled Thread for goon giveaways
Steam VR

Useful Websites & Apps
  • Steam Library Filters Since Steam's UI sucks and doesn't let you look at your games for hours on end using arbitrary criteria, this page lets you sort/filter/view your games based on tons of criteria. Wanna see every game you own from 2017 with at least an 80 on Metacritic with a Female Protagonist? There you go.
  • Is There Any Deal takes your Steam wishlist, compares the prices of all the games on it against an array of known legit digital distributors, and emails you when prices drop. Additionally, it also notifies you if any of said wishlisted games wind up in a bundle. For bargain hunters, this is essential. Other good sale sites include CheapShark and SavyGamer.
  • Augmented Steam is a plug-in for Chrome that takes the Steam website and adds pretty much all the fixes you want from it. Want price comparisons right on the store page? You've got it (powered by Is There Any Deal :v:). Want to know how many players are playing that multiplayer game you're about to buy? This puts that information right in the store page.
  • TikiOne Steam Cleaner gets rid of all the redistributable packages that Steam likes to download. Save a few gigabytes, the quick and easy way. Now works with Origin and GOG's Galaxy client.

FAQ

I have a problem!
General rules of thumb to try first:
a) If it’s a specific game that’s having problems, right click the problem game > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity
b) If that doesn’t work, or if it’s a client issue, shut down Steam, go to the Steam folder, and delete/rename ClientRegistry.blob, then start Steam up again.
c) Restart your computer. Works surprisingly often. :v:

The Steam client is super slow!
Try either of these:
a) Go to Settings > Web Browser > Delete Cache.
b) Alternatively, launch the Control Panel, go to Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings and uncheck “Automatically detect settings”.

Uplay is broken!
Since Assassin's Creed 2 in 2009, nearly all :ubisoft: games on Steam come bundled with a required launcher called Uplay. The problem is that nobody updated the installers, meaning that 2009-2011 ish Ubisoft games now attempts to install a completely broken launcher that refuses to update. The solution: download the new version of this client first. Trust me, this saves a lot of headaches.

This game/DLC sucks/just went on sale after I bought it/is busted/. Can I get my money back?
With some exceptions (that tell you prior to purchasing the thing), yes you can, so long as you've bought it within the last two weeks and haven't played it for more than two hours. If you're within these rules, full refunds are available, automatic and are (largely) quibble-free.

Is G2A/Kinguin/G2Play dodgy?
Yes, very dodgy. These sites resell keys. They don't give a crap if said keys are stolen or fraudulent. You are strongly advised to avoid G2A, G2Play and Kinguin.

And remember:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

steem

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Steam Deck thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=394

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Steam? You mean that thing I gotta download to play Half Life 2?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

if you've got a discord for steam or for a game on steam, post it here and I'll update this post

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Stream

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Does anyone have a link to the old thread with the gargantuan OP?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Azran posted:

check the op, it links every steam thread going back a decade

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Azran posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510690

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Get yer stickers now

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

VR megathread here for Valve Index questions:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1044

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Quill posted:

Get yer stickers now

I had no idea they were giving out daily stickers, but I have been doing the daily queues for cards. They usually have a big info page with all of the stuff you can do or collect. Did they not do that this year?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Steam!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Stoom, aangedreven door Klep Zachte Waren.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
steam is real folks

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Steam... what's with this digital poo poo anyway. I want to line all my old game boxes up on a shelf next to clever coffee mugs and anime toys and embarass my wife like the good old days.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anti anime cabal

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Collecting steam games is my passion.

Living with steam on my PC
Laughing as I fill my cart every sale
Loving not playing any games I brought

Here's to another great thread!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Any recommendations for good Tower Defense or stuff like Zuma/Sparkle while the sale’s still on?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kerbtree posted:

Any recommendations for good Tower Defense or stuff like Zuma/Sparkle while the sale’s still on?

Dungeon Warfare is great and it's $2.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kerbtree posted:

X-Morph: Defense
Immortal Defense
Creeper World
The Riftbreaker
Atom Zombie Smasher

mystes
May 31, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Steam... what's with this digital poo poo anyway. I want to line all my old game boxes up on a shelf next to clever coffee mugs and anime toys and embarass my wife like the good old days.
It's nice because you can constantly buy games and not play them and not have to worry about keeping them organized, plus it will tell you if you already bought them so you don't accidentally buy them twice so you don't have to not play two copies.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Azran posted:

Steam? You mean that thing I gotta download to play Half Life 2?

forever stuck in my head

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey jeez Resident Evil 2 you didn't have to tell it like it is...

I didn't even know there was going to be a test! :negative:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thanks for making the thread!

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
If I like video games but I have video games and no time to play video games what should I buy in the steam sale

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Hi Steam thread.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Here's to another year thread of shitposting.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

games!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Happy 2023, gamers

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

video.

games.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
steem

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
what's everyone's first purchase for 2023? i got chained echoes

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

In Celebration of Violence on the 31st followed by Astral Ascent today, which I think tells a nice story

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Warhams 40k Xcom has been pretty good so far.
Other than mediocre performance, but it's not as relevant for a turn-based game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Did my final scoop-up of the sale - I picked up Deity Empires, Globesweeper, Illwinter's Floor Plan Generator and Transcendence, because it's finally time I paid for Transcendence. And Ord, which is a little text-based game where each scene is only three words and you get to click one word in response. Like Zork but for cavemen. Someone mentioned it in the (very cool) hidden gems thread.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for talking about MW5 in the last thread, I bought it all and have been loving the career mode with the one DLC. Also did some co-op with a friend on gamepass and the cross play stuff works flawlessly. I assume I won't be able to invite non dlc havers to a career campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://steamsteamlol.ytmnd.com