Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Steam is Epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

As usual during the winter sale \ my birthday, I'm handing out games:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

Add me, tell me your favorite genre(s), receive a game.

In return, write a review of the game somewhere and\or ride the gift train.

Don't add me if you just want more goon friends, that's not the point here.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Whoever was worried about the Steam release of Scott Pilgrim not supporting crossplay, it's sounding likely that it'll still just be using the Epic online service and require an Epic account to play. Careful what you wish for I guess.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Steam

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Someone linked steam 250 in the previous thread
https://steam250.com/

Cool site for finding hidden gems and good deals

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're interested in hidden gems there's a thread for that.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Astlibra is a fun game that really does not need as many epilogue chapters as it has. I enjoyed playing it, I just don't need that much of it. It's like being handed a 5 gallon bucket of chocolate frostening. It sounds awesome and you say you want it, but once you've have a full cake out of it and eaten it, you really don't need more. The itch is scratched, you can stop scratching now and just say the game is over.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

fit em all up in there posted:

Any opinions on Metal Wolf Chaos XD and Daemon X Mechina ?

Metal Wolf Chaos is an arena shooter has a fun but very same-y gameplay loop. Enough variety and enemies to be a solid game for the era it was a part of, but nothing really memorable other than the cute-sy cheesy cutscenes, which is why you play it. They also do the "you can take 50 hits, but touch water and you instantly die" thing, and combined with the "no save points" thing that was popular at the time, I rage quit it and just never finished it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

Thanks for talking about MW5 in the last thread, I bought it all and have been loving the career mode with the one DLC. Also did some co-op with a friend on gamepass and the cross play stuff works flawlessly. I assume I won't be able to invite non dlc havers to a career campaign?

I believe only the host needs the DLC, even career mode.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

This rules thank you

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tried to subscribe to a Rimworld mod, Steam says I have to log in, then it can't reach the servers. Staying consistent for the New Year!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ultrafilter posted:

this is cheating, you should have to find that thread on your own

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Started playing Rogue Legacy 2 and the verdict is in: it’s good

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Here's a link for the Discord section.
Its not necessarily a games Discord so much as a general all around SA discord with a games section.

https://discord.gg/BhtfybFDvs
As always be a goon but dont be a dick.
It was around before Tempus Thales wiped out a bunch of the Discords, but never really picked back up since no one could remember everyone to reinvite.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

explosivo posted:

Thanks for talking about MW5 in the last thread, I bought it all and have been loving the career mode with the one DLC. Also did some co-op with a friend on gamepass and the cross play stuff works flawlessly. I assume I won't be able to invite non dlc havers to a career campaign?

Nope, you can, they only need base game

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Can’t wait to actually get something in the sale, but I’ll only be in position to do so on the 4th.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kibayasu posted:

I believe only the host needs the DLC, even career mode.

RBA Starblade posted:

Nope, you can, they only need base game

Oh this rules, thanks for the info.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This year I'm trying to cut my video game spending, and I've been really picky in what games I pick up - I have a HUGE backlog and lots of big games that take time to go through, so I don't want to add to that so much.

So I've picked up:

Dead Grid: zombies card game weird early access thing made by one guy. I adore zombies, and this is my jam.
Tainted Grail: Slay the Spire but with demanding graphics and a really eerie setting!
Procemon: It's a broken GBC pokemon clone :allears: Also it's edgy! An evil corporation has created a way to break into new worlds to steal their energy and exploit the labor of the procemon! The starting procemon kill the prof and trainer and then you play as them, looking for a way to stop the exploitation of the working class procemon! Contains all procedurally generated everything.

But now I'm trying to decide if I want to do any big purchases before the sale ends

- Is Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi any good? I love dungeon crawlers and this one looks big and engaging.
- Is Elden Ring any easier than Dark Souls? I like the idea of exploring a huge open world, but I kinda suck at the genre.
- How's Disgaea 6? I've heard it was more auto-battle-y than the other ones, which might be exactly what I'm looking for.
- Soul Hackers 2 turned out to be merely OK and kinda simplified, right?

etc etc. Trying to figure out what one big game to purchase is tough, and I like most genres, and it's nearly impossible for me to ask for recommendations as I know a lot of games. :sweatdrop:

I keep circling back to Undernauts though, but I'm kind of worried I'll purchase it and burn out midway through when there are other dungeon crawlers I could play already. And yet I do love the idea of mining my own dungeons...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Is Elden Ring any easier than Dark Souls? I like the idea of exploring a huge open world, but I kinda suck at the genre.

Yes and no.

I think spirit summons do a good job of mitigating some boss fights, but late game bosses are kinda nutso. I will say I haven't played since like April so maybe there were some balance patches.

Overall it's a really good game and worth playing.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Has anyone successfully streamed from their gaming PC to another computer (not a phone with Steam Link)? Everything I can find through web searching seems to say it should "just work" but I cannot for the life of me get my library of installed games to appear on my laptop's library.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd say yes since the open world fixes the whole issue of being stuck on a boss - basically until the very end, you can always go explore somewhere else and grab levels and equipment.
And the open world is straight-up amazing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Is Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi any good? I love dungeon crawlers and this one looks big and engaging.

- Soul Hackers 2 turned out to be merely OK and kinda simplified, right?

Undernauts is really good, I played it on the switch and loved it. Lots of great QoL stuff and the theme is really cool. The games from that developer usually hew too close to the hardcore Wizardry clone style fort my taste, but this one hits a really nice balance.

Soul Hackers 2 is perfectly fine. I might hold off only because they announced a patch to fix a bunch of things a couple months ago, but still haven't released it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Begemot posted:

Soul Hackers 2 is perfectly fine. I might hold off only because they announced a patch to fix a bunch of things a couple months ago, but still haven't released it.

Are you talking about the big quality of life patch? That happened in November.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Has anyone successfully streamed from their gaming PC to another computer (not a phone with Steam Link)? Everything I can find through web searching seems to say it should "just work" but I cannot for the life of me get my library of installed games to appear on my laptop's library.

If you just want to stream use Parsec or Moonlight, no need to use steam's solution.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

secretly best girl posted:

Are you talking about the big quality of life patch? That happened in November.

Oh dang I totally missed it. I need to go finish that game now :v:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
elden ring is really hard, hardest of the souls game to do a pure melee run in, but they also put in a lot of different ways to modulate your own difficulty through summons, magic, ashes of war (special attacks tied to weapons), and levels in general being very abundant means you can get real over levelled for any parts you want to bulldoze.

dark souls 1 feels like molasses in comparison, and its difficulty largely comes from the environment and a few tricky bosses. you can also delete the difficulty in that game by getting a big shield and lots of stamina and/or pyromancy. i'd recommend playing through the games in order if you're interested in the franchise as a whole since they form a nice coherent skill curve from 1 to 2 to 3 to elden ring.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bought Elden Ring but haven't loaded it up yet (finishing up some other games first, since I heard it's long). Is the story connected to the other Dark Souls?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I bought Elden Ring but haven't loaded it up yet (finishing up some other games first, since I heard it's long). Is the story connected to the other Dark Souls?

Not at all. Wholly separate game in it's own universe.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My primary concern with Elden Ring is that I'll boot it up, realize it needs really intense focus, so I'll play it for 2-3 sessions and then keep finding excuses not to play it. :negative: (someday I'll return to you Nioh...someday...)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

My primary concern with Elden Ring is that I'll boot it up, realize it needs really intense focus, so I'll play it for 2-3 sessions and then keep finding excuses not to play it. :negative: (someday I'll return to you Nioh...someday...)

Or you’ll play it for 2-3 sessions and become absurdly hooked and fall in love with it.

It’s real good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm teetering on buying it or not for basically the same reason. I know it's a huge time investment and I'm always hot and cold when it comes to this kinda stuff.

I also seem to be an odd one out that I much prefer From's earlier output to their latter (though the jury is still out on Bloodborne :argh:) so I'm worried I'll invest all 100 hours or whatever into it only to realize I dislike for the same reasons I'm cool on Dark Souls 3...

FWIW, blanket reminder if you have a Humble Bundle subscription to check their store for deals since the extra 20% off can nudge the price down further than you can possibly get elsewhere. Pretty sure Elden Ring is currently at its absolute cheapest there thanks to that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

holy poo poo John Murdoch I watched your movie last night again and it's still one of my favorites. Just an absolutely earnest 90s noir weirdo thing and so worth it. :allears: God I love Dark City.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The typical Souls game has the hard critical path and the optional harder critical paths, but Elden Ring is a gigantic open world game where any time you get stuck on a boss you can just wander off to explore something else, which is effectively grinding for souls without the tedium of the previous games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I want more Nioh. It's the only game that solves the issues I have with the soulslike genre.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

holy poo poo John Murdoch I watched your movie last night again and it's still one of my favorites. Just an absolutely earnest 90s noir weirdo thing and so worth it. :allears: God I love Dark City.

:tipshat:

Is it weird that the ending bugs me a lot? But otherwise I'm obviously a big fan. :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jack Trades posted:

I want more Nioh. It's the only game that solves the issues I have with the soulslike genre.

Wo Long is out in just a couple months, it looks great.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Foul Fowl posted:

i'd recommend playing through the games in order if you're interested in the franchise as a whole since they form a nice coherent skill curve from 1 to 2 to 3 to elden ring.

lol @ recommending playing 120+ hours of other games before playing the one that is best for a newcomer

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

John Murdoch posted:

I'm teetering on buying it or not for basically the same reason. I know it's a huge time investment and I'm always hot and cold when it comes to this kinda stuff.

I also seem to be an odd one out that I much prefer From's earlier output to their latter (though the jury is still out on Bloodborne :argh:) so I'm worried I'll invest all 100 hours or whatever into it only to realize I dislike for the same reasons I'm cool on Dark Souls 3...

FWIW, blanket reminder if you have a Humble Bundle subscription to check their store for deals since the extra 20% off can nudge the price down further than you can possibly get elsewhere. Pretty sure Elden Ring is currently at its absolute cheapest there thanks to that.

I mean if you put 100 hours into it you probably got your money's worth. It's my first souls game and I'm about 25 hours in and it's getting hard (I'm bad) but I'm doing ok trying to level and gear up elsewhere. Some things I just have to try 10 times to beat it and finally it happens. Luckily you will likely respawn right there so it doesn't feel as tedious.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

AfricanBootyShine posted:

lol @ recommending playing 120+ hours of other games before playing the one that is best for a newcomer

‘other games’ lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

John Murdoch posted:

:tipshat:

Is it weird that the ending bugs me a lot? But otherwise I'm obviously a big fan. :v:
Doesn't the dude achieve godlike power, overthrow the stranger aliens, and just retreat to a world of fantasy because it's otherwise impossible to know what was real and who came from where?