Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

it is turn based

Not the combat! Real time with pause is an awful system. I thought we had all agreed on that years ago when we switched over Pathfinder, Pillars of Eternity 2 and Baldur's Gate 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not putting anything ahead of anything, I'm just saying Hellgate managed to only mostly die, whereas Marvel Heroes completely died.

Fair, fair.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
FWIW Total War Warhammer 2 is a pretty solid title and lacks some of the poor optimization that stills affects 3. 3 also has some severe internal issues like the devs still having no idea what to do with sieges (so they essentially removed half of them from the game) and some factions being stuck in different degrees of mechanical jank due to different teams working on them, especially Nurgle and Norsca. On the upside, 3 has some major QoL upgrades and modding has gone completely wild, adding custom-made animations, models, voiceovers and even an even bigger campaign map that makes Immortal Empires look tiny.
The story in 2 is perfunctory at best and at most has you going "oh cool" at teasers for stuff in 3, so don't feel compelled to get it just for that. It has as much of a story as Age of Wonders 4.

Substandard posted:

Not the combat! Real time with pause is an awful system. I thought we had all agreed on that years ago when we switched over Pathfinder, Pillars of Eternity 2 and Baldur's Gate 3.

There's no point of comparison between RTwP in an RPG and an RTS where the lifespan of a unit in an even matchup is measured in minutes, not seconds. Although I'd be down for a Field of Glory-style Warhammer title, it'd be even more niche than Total War already is and also the exact opposite sort of title the franchise is known for.

Azran fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 28, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that's super not what people mean by RTWP.

(Also if you pause a TW battle you are weak.)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I know it's not a great comparison, but actual Warhammer is turn based and that seems to work out OK.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Substandard posted:

I know it's not a great comparison, but actual Warhammer is turn based and that seems to work out OK.

The actual Warhammer is real-time because setting your wallet on fire is not turn-based.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

Red Candle's Nine Sols will be released on May 29th. Extremely excited for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yx7LvPR1mU

same, interested how they’ll handle the genre switch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, even as a single player standalone that still makes it more playable than Marvel Heroes these days.

Honestly if I squint really hard I could see throwing The Division and The Secret World into a blender to create some kind of cursed loot game based on the general premise of Hellgate. But it still wouldn't be my first choice, no.

Oh man, this reminds me that every so often I'd see The Secret World come up and think,"Oh hey, that game seems extremely like the type of thing I'd like to play, why have I never gotten it before?" and then I'd remember that it was for absolutely no apparent reason a loving MMO :doh:

Like, even as I made this post I went and did a wikipedia search to make sure it WAS an MMO because it still doesn't make any goddamn sense to me at all... and yep, it was a loving MMO!?! :psyduck:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I never liked the Total War franchise very much, but if you made the battles turn-based, it would completely change what type of game it is. The real-time battles are a core part of its identity. At that point, just write it off and look for something else to play.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man, this reminds me that every so often I'd see The Secret World come up and think,"Oh hey, that game seems extremely like the type of thing I'd like to play, why have I never gotten it before?" and then I'd remember that it was for absolutely no apparent reason a loving MMO :doh:

Like, even as I made this post I went and did a wikipedia search to make sure it WAS an MMO because it still doesn't make any goddamn sense to me at all... and yep, it was a loving MMO!?! :psyduck:

By the end you could play it pretty much solo, I think, but yeah what a waste. Could have been a franchise of excellent games by now.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Jerusalem posted:

The Secret World was so loving fun and if I remember so heavily instanced that you could play it all solo. That ruled.

Edit: Ultima Online is still around and I almost got high enough last week to install it to walk around Moonglow.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Phlegmish posted:

I never liked the Total War franchise very much, but if you made the battles turn-based, it would completely change what type of game it is. The real-time battles are a core part of its identity. At that point, just write it off and look for something else to play.

Yeah my ultimate problem is that I don't like Total War much but I like Warhammer Fantasy and with the big campaign map and all the factions it's the best experience available even if I wish they did basically anything else for the battles.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the secret world has some of the best writing in the medium. shame about the rest of it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pigbuster posted:

Red Candle's Nine Sols will be released on May 29th. Extremely excited for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yx7LvPR1mU
what is with so many good games coming out in may??? Nine Sols, Animal Well, Hauntii, Crow Country, Until Then, fuckin Selaco, (IGF award-winning!) Cryptmaster, Paper Trail, Abiotic Factor...

then there's this event on April 10th

https://twitter.com/iii_initiative/status/1773394368763695472?s=46&t=tiduNJ3mSs9_gg9ptoqYZA

for sure Hyper Light Breaker is gonna be in it, it seems like Streets of Rogue 2 will be in it, most likely new Vampire Survivors content

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 28, 2024

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Substandard posted:

Yeah my ultimate problem is that I don't like Total War much but I like Warhammer Fantasy and with the big campaign map and all the factions it's the best experience available even if I wish they did basically anything else for the battles.
I'm with you. The actual battles in Total War never clicked with me. I love the concept, the spectacle, and lining everyone up. But once things get going it all feels like nonsense. Not in a good way where things break apart in fun chaos, but in a "did the game actually recognize my command?" way.

It might be worth trying one of those mods where you hand your troops over to a computer general and watch everything unfold.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Orv posted:

Yeah that's super not what people mean by RTWP.

(Also if you pause a TW battle you are weak.)

Oh I'm weak alright.

I love the Total Warhammer games and have 100s of hours in all of them and all of the DLC besides the last one. I find I prefer playing in a 'chill out and stomp all over the world' manner so sometimes I pause the battles so much it may as well be turn based.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Secret World has great writing, music and atmosphere, as well as some very cool puzzle quests. I still have a cool notebook full of drawings and futhark rune translations and whatnot from when I was working through investigations and trying to figure out the lore. Even the MMOish sidequest grinds have good writing that ties into the rest of the game. ...the same MMO grind aspects mean that it takes quite a while to progress through the game though, unfortunately.

Also the equipment/ability system is very abstract and weirdly unsatisfying. I kinda wish it got a remaster/reboot, the gameplay does not hold up in 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I had a lifetime subscription to that game 😬

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

The Secret World has great writing, music and atmosphere, as well as some very cool puzzle quests. I still have a cool notebook full of drawings and futhark rune translations and whatnot from when I was working through investigations and trying to figure out the lore. Even the MMOish sidequest grinds have good writing that ties into the rest of the game. ...the same MMO grind aspects mean that it takes quite a while to progress through the game though, unfortunately.

Also the equipment/ability system is very abstract and weirdly unsatisfying. I kinda wish it got a remaster/reboot, the gameplay does not hold up in 2024

It did! It was worse.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Orv posted:

It did! It was worse.

Oh yeah, I played that! Don't think it counts as a reboot though, it was basically the same game but with more mtx.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

The Steve Gaynor-less formerly-Fullbright now-"Open Roads Team" team just silently released their latest game, Open Roads, starring Keri Russell and Kaitlyn Dever. I've had this wishlisted for ages but lost hope for it in the tumult of the studio's last few years. Curious to take a look, will report back.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1497360/Open_Roads/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

roomtwofifteen posted:

The Steve Gaynor-less formerly-Fullbright now-"Open Roads Team" team just silently released their latest game, Open Roads, starring Keri Russell and Kaitlyn Dever. I've had this wishlisted for ages but lost hope for it in the tumult of the studio's last few years. Curious to take a look, will report back.

This is on Gamepass as well btw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

roomtwofifteen posted:

I'll be trying it this weekend when I have a few free hours to spare. I heard it's pretty short, only 2-3 hours, which is ideal for me right now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Age of Mythology/Warcraft 3 mashup Godsworn just went into EA. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328990/Godsworn/

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

roomtwofifteen posted:

Oh poo poo I love both of those actresses, that's a heck of a get for such a niche game.

edit:

^^^ Oh snap, I really enjoyed the demo for that one, should def scratch the WC3/Age of Mythology itch for anyone hankering for something new but familiar as far as RTSes go.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Godsworn looks really cool but honestly the stuff they showed of the AoM remake a bit ago has me so hyped that why would I play this at all.

Obviously that's a very me problem.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
...Because it's a new game and not one you've played before?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Substandard posted:

ancient enemies, we dwell in the shadows, you and I. they think they live their lives, these billionaires, these politicians, these gamers, these children - but really they bleed and die for us.

your star is in ascendancy right now, my old foe, but RTwP never sleeps. one of these days you'll grow weary. and I'll be there under the bed. waiting.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Chadzok posted:

one of these days you'll grow weary. and I'll be there under the bed. waiting.

Paused.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I wish I replayed Godsworn on the recent Next Fest - I don't remember my opinion of it from the Fest before that :v:

I guess if I didn't remove it from my Wishlist then it couldn't have been awful.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

...Because it's a new game and not one you've played before?

I'm sorry, I'm not following you here.

Jokes aside I feel like there hasn't been an actually good RTS in eons so I'm always wary of indie ones, if anyone wants to report back to the contrary.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

I'm sorry, I'm not following you here.

It's simple: you buy the new game you never played, stare at it in your library for a while, then launch the old game you played 200483 times before.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

It's simple: you buy the new game you never played, stare at it in your library for a while, then launch the old game you played 200483 times before.

Oh yeah, yeah. I call it Tuesday.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So despite posting about it, I ain't one for early access, but from the demos of Godsworn I played, it felt a lot more polished that a lot of indie RTS which, I agree, tend to have some really nasty jank on 'em. I was very impressed with something made by a two-person team, but I have no idea if the campaign stuff is any good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

Age of Mythology/Warcraft 3 mashup Godsworn just went into EA. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328990/Godsworn/

Gonna wishlist this, I really hope this turns out good and is eventually finished.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I wonder if the new Hellgate game will also consider a Playboy spread 'good marketing' the way HG:London did.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

Pft, who would do that? Especially with the sale that just passed!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I just watched someone stream this and one thing that weirds me about it is that some of its icons have been used in Spellforce: Conquest of Eo. It's probably placeholder stock stuff but in that case it really shouldn't be in either.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, even as a single player standalone that still makes it more playable than Marvel Heroes these days.

Have you actually played the singleplayer standalone thing?

Oh yeah, I played that! Don't think it counts as a reboot though, it was basically the same game but with more mtx.
I think it changed leveling and skills up, but more importantly it F2P MMOed the poo poo out of things. Shove trash gear into your good gear to level it up! This can have a failure chance! The clothing shop in London is gone, now it's all F2P lootbox or premium currency for clothing items, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Also the equipment/ability system is very abstract and weirdly unsatisfying.

This drove me nuts, because it was so hyped as being incredibly freeform and classless, and in reality that was complete bullshit.