Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Returnal is decent enough, especially for less than 20 bucks. But it's not full-price good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Would gladly take/paypal someones Returnal key if they don't want it, idk this game has looked interesting to me but its never been below like 35 bucks on steam

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

apparently Embracer has finished "restructuring" with the Gearbox deal, so that means these studios should be safe:

Gunfire Games (Remnant 1 & 2)
Flying Wild Hog (Shadow Warrior, Evil West)
Purple Lamp Games (Epic Mickey Remake, Spongebob: Cosmic Shake)
DigixArt (Road 96)
Coffee Stain Studios and its child studios (Goat Simulator, Deep Rock Galactic, Satisfactory)
Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider, Perfect Dark reboot)
4A Games (Metro series)
Aspyr Games (KOTOR remake, Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered)
Beamdog (Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale remasters, Mythforce)
Snapshot Games (Phoenix Point)
Tripwire Interactive (Killing Floor series, Maneater)
Tuxedo Labs (Teardown)
Zen Studios (Pinball FX, Operencia: The Stolen Sun)
Limited Run Games
Asmodee (board game publisher)
Dark Horse Comics

KOTOR remake is reportedly now being developed by Saber Interactive, which was actually sold by Embracer to one of Saber's own co-founders just this month

Orv
May 4, 2011
The KOTOR remake is a psyop until I can press a button and make it go beep on my very own personal computer.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I want to know so bad what kind of vertical slice Aspyr produced that apparently Lucasfilm/Disney were totally fine with but Sony absolutely *hated*

Probably not enough live-service game elements lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I mean, have you seen the slop Disney puts out? They were fine with it because it has Star Wars on its name and can make a few bucks on it. Probably right about Sony, though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Dramicus posted:

Returnal is decent enough, especially for less than 20 bucks. But it's not full-price good.

Disagree, that game owns a lot. I'm not even into roguelites in general and I enjoyed playing it for ~30 hours, which is BEFORE they added the Tower of Sisyphus.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Returnal is fantastic I won't hear anyone say otherwise.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

If that bundle leak is fake, I hope Valhalla is the one they made up.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
if you like what returnal does, it's easily worth full price. it looks like a AAA game but plays and feels like a good game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TeaJay posted:

My most anticipated game of April 2024 is by far Manor Lords, a city builder / tactical combat game. Out 26.4.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363080/Manor_Lords/

And seems like a lot of others too, since it's gotten on over 2 million wishlists!

I tried the demo in Demofest all the way back in fall 2022 and was immediately impressed. The town building felt very organic and the roads were formed with the paths the villagers took, you didn't make them yourself, for example. The finished version will also have medieval combat where a bunch of guys run into each other, but that wasn't in the demo. The demo was very bare bones but the village building felt SO good I had to stop myself from playing it too much.

So will this lean more towards the city builder side, or is it comparable to Bannerlord?

Because I normally do not care for city builders in the slightest, but I love me some Mount & Blade

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've heard very good things about Returnal, definitely gonna figure out how to get that one, somehow.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hwurmp posted:

Has anyone here played Forever Skies?

It's cool, and I always love the idea of managing a travelling base in a game, but sadly there's not a lot to it. I felt like I had done everything the game had to offer in like six hours. They added some stuff since then, like more virus stuff, but I didn't feel like that added enough to the game for me to really want to get back into it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Returnal has great graphics, sound, level design, and was fun to play, until I had to play the first level over and over and then I got bored of it pretty fast. I think it would have worked great as a normal third person shooter, but I am just done with Roguelites I think, and it was Returnal that actually had me stop playing them.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
We (me&GF) own a Steam Deck & gaming PC, with the same account on each.

If I buy a co op game, can we both play together? One person on each device

ColdIronsBound fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 29, 2024

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Valhalla is a very impressive game. It takes some serious skill to make a game about vikings that aggressively boring. How do you manage to make viking raids boring as hell AND grindy? How do you make a main character so impossibly bland while supposedly being a warrior poet?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

But hey, it's 100+ hours of that bland gameplay!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ColdIronsBound posted:

Unlikely, but it depends on the game. If it's using Steam for the accounts, it definitely won't let you play with 'yourself', but if the game has its own account system or simply does not have any accounts at all, it might work if the Deck is in offline mode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Valhalla had all of AC Odyssey's problems of being a meandering and overlong 100+ RPG but forgot to include the actual RPG part so you can't even make cool builds or funny dialogue choices, everything is running errands for one English failson to the next with no end in sight.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bought Touhou: Lost Branch of Legend as it popped into my feed.
It's a "Slay the spire"-like that's still very much in early access. Game is pretty fun, and lots of super cute artwork (and some ZUN-inspired bad artwork).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
will returnal run well enough on a 3060ti?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I got into the first mandatory fight in Valhalla and then uninstalled the game because it felt like complete rear end to play.
It was somehow worse than Odyssey even.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Orv posted:

Depends on how you look at it, the original MMO version was dead for several years, then the Korean reboot was around for a bit then also died in I want to say 2017 and it's currently only available as a single-player thing.

It was very weird reading about the new game yesterday and having the lead guy talk about how he thought there was more to mine from the vein of Hellgate. I am probably the original game's biggest apologist around here, even if it doesn't remotely deserve it and no man, no. Let it lie.

I loved Hellgate: London when it came out, but my computer at the time really struggled to run it well.

I am really surprised to find out there was an MMO version? There was a Korean reboot?? There's a new game coming???

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ColdIronsBound posted:

No

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

Rinkles posted:

will returnal run well enough on a 3060ti?

I bought Returnal for Christmas and it ran perfectly at a stable 75fps on my 3060 (non-ti). I've heard that it is a RAM gobbler though; I've got a cool 32gb of DDR5 so I didn't notice anything but there's a lot of Steam reviews about it crashing. May want to keep that in mind

Also it's a really cool game! I'm not good at it though

Orv
May 4, 2011

credburn posted:

I loved Hellgate: London when it came out, but my computer at the time really struggled to run it well.

I am really surprised to find out there was an MMO version? There was a Korean reboot?? There's a new game coming???

The original version was an MMO, to be clear. I guess technically you could have bought it and never dealt with any of that at all? As MMOs go it just kind of ended once you completed the campaign and the game got shuttered right after they actually added some endgame stuff.

The Korean reboot happened a few years later and they continued to extend the game for a while, though I have never played a ton of the Hanbitsoft version to see everything they added. My very vague understanding is that it was mildly successful but never really took off or anything.

Somebody released the full Korean version as a single-player only client on Steam a bit back. From what I know the Korean version mostly sits around the base campaign of the original game so you hop weirdly between the original game and the various added content. Hellgate was never incredible but what little I played was incredibly disjointed and didn't feel great.

And now yeah, one of the OG Hellgate producers is the producer on a new Hellgate game and gently caress it I guess, why not.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I thought it was a single-player game with multiplayer capabilities if you wanted, I never realized that was a focus.

I never knew anyone else who owned the game and I'm sure not playing with randos.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It was meant to be a 3d diablo 2 type game where you drop in to an instance and can play the level with 3 other randoms if I remember right. The game itself was very laggy at times and also really boring in my opinion. I was so hyped for it too, I went to best buy bought it on launch day and ended up playing for like 2 hours total.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rusty posted:

It was meant to be a 3d diablo 2 type game where you drop in to an instance and can play the level with 3 other randoms if I remember right. The game itself was very laggy at times and also really boring in my opinion. I was so hyped for it too, I went to best buy bought it on launch day and ended up playing for like 2 hours total.

Yeah it was kind of the other early adopter, besides GW1, of a not-MMO MMO. Stations had a bunch of other players around but that was about it at the end of the day.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
VR bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/virtual-realities-mystery-mayhem

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I bought Touhou: Lost Branch of Legend as it popped into my feed.
It's a "Slay the spire"-like that's still very much in early access. Game is pretty fun, and lots of super cute artwork (and some ZUN-inspired bad artwork).

You forgot to mention that the music is really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi7MnYLuaBw&list=PLnkoiitBgdmi5xzjj9BqGrxYI_4Cdi4EA&index=15

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is Gloomhaven good? I enjoy tactical rpg combat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes. Very.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Would gladly take/paypal someones Returnal key if they don't want it, idk this game has looked interesting to me but its never been below like 35 bucks on steam

same. I might even join and cancel for this, how much does it work out as these days?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's extremely good but be warned that it is pretty drat challenging, ESPECIALLY at first and ESPECIALLY in the full campaign mode. I highly recommend that you play a bit of the Guildmaster mode first before trying the campaign because it actually gives you a much nicer onboarding experience.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Terminally Bored posted:

Tuesdays Humble Monthly got leaked

Noita is an amazing game, but if you try it and think "this is too hard and utter poo poo", please join the Noita thread before you uninstall. Because that's how I reacted to it until I learned some things and here I am with 1200 hours in it.

It's one of those games where you have to die a lot to learn how things work and some of the mechanics are quite obtuse. But man, the way things can interact is insane, and there is a ton of game in there.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gloomhaven is good but it's very atypical if you go in expecting the usual XCOM action economy. Every character fielded on the board brings their own unique deck of cards (chosen before a mission - there's not too much deckbuilding involved, you'll only be replacing cards as you unlock others, if you want to - deck sizes are fixed per character), and they have access to their entire deck every turn. But you have to pick only two cards per turn (these will also determine turn order by numbers on top of the cards), and use the top half of one (or turn it into a generic attack) and the bottom half of another (or turn it into a generic move). If a character can't play two cards, they have to rest to renew their deck, and resting always burns a card (i.e. removes from the pool for the rest of the mission). Short rest burns a card at random but lets you play that same turn, long rest lets you choose which card to burn and heals the character a bit, but makes them skip a turn. If a character doesn't have two cards left in their deck when they'd need to rest, they're removed from the rest of the mission. (A mission can still be finished with any remaining characters.)

The thing is that you'll generally have to move quite a distance on a mission in addition to killing enemies, so the dwindling resources means you're on a time limit from turn 1, so you really want to try and optimize your turns. Gives it kind of a puzzle feeling, but not one where you only have a single solution. You just need to try to make the most efficient use of your turns. The first mission of the original board game is notorious for being a rude awakening of how easy it is to run out of cards.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

sebmojo posted:

same. I might even join and cancel for this, how much does it work out as these days?

It's about 12-13 USD per month for humble choice, and you get the entire bundle for that choice. Not a bad deal!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hogama posted:

Gloomhaven is good but it's very atypical if you go in expecting the usual XCOM action economy. Every character fielded on the board brings their own unique deck of cards (chosen before a mission - there's not too much deckbuilding involved, you'll only be replacing cards as you unlock others, if you want to - deck sizes are fixed per character), and they have access to their entire deck every turn. But you have to pick only two cards per turn (these will also determine turn order by numbers on top of the cards), and use the top half of one (or turn it into a generic attack) and the bottom half of another (or turn it into a generic move). If a character can't play two cards, they have to rest to renew their deck, and resting always burns a card (i.e. removes from the pool for the rest of the mission). Short rest burns a card at random but lets you play that same turn, long rest lets you choose which card to burn and heals the character a bit, but makes them skip a turn. If a character doesn't have two cards left in their deck when they'd need to rest, they're removed from the rest of the mission. (A mission can still be finished with any remaining characters.)

The thing is that you'll generally have to move quite a distance on a mission in addition to killing enemies, so the dwindling resources means you're on a time limit from turn 1, so you really want to try and optimize your turns. Gives it kind of a puzzle feeling, but not one where you only have a single solution. You just need to try to make the most efficient use of your turns. The first mission of the original board game is notorious for being a rude awakening of how easy it is to run out of cards.

Huh, neat. Okay, I might pick this up before the sale ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Noita is very good but you absolutely will suffer a lot of horseshit deaths in your first dozen hundred hours