Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely thought the Laser Eyes game was a Suda 51 thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Soo...what is Ghost of Tsushima? It looks like an AssCreed-like.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've got a real jonesing for XCOM and I've already played through the remakes a bunch of times. Is Xenonauts 2 worth it? It's still in early access, and I'm never sure about EA stuff. It's on sale for the next half hour. Is there something else that will scratch my squad based tactics itch?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

It's basically a well-executed open world game where you can choose to approach situations as a samurai or a ninja. It's in the same wheelhouse as something like AC but the developers looked at Kurosawa and turned the knob until it broke off.

It does a lot through presentation and execution and general competence, but if you despise open world games it probably won't change your mind.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Indika is moving up a week to May 2nd to get out of the shadow of so many other games releasing on the 9th. granted, there's several games on the 2nd as well, but none of them are in the same wheelhouse, and only Abiotic Factor is going to be a big seller, so this is probably a smart call

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Substandard posted:

I've got a real jonesing for XCOM and I've already played through the remakes a bunch of times. Is Xenonauts 2 worth it? It's still in early access, and I'm never sure about EA stuff. It's on sale for the next half hour. Is there something else that will scratch my squad based tactics itch?

Do you want something new or more of the same?
If it's the former then the gameplay of Midnight Suns is loving excellent.
Otherwise Jagged Alliance 3 is on sale right now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Substandard posted:

Into the Breach

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jack Trades posted:

This is all I know about Ghost of Tsushima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQD3JzDjmRg

So naturally, it's a day one purchase for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

On the whole it's a fairly standard open world RPG; you go around, do quests, collect things, get points to put into skill trees. Gameplay wise it's both an Assassin's Creed and kiiiiind of a Batman. Ghost is the appellation of the PC, you sneak around, stab Mongols in the back and do stealthy things but if you get caught or if you want to from the start, you can jump straight into parry-based combat, where the game becomes essentially a love letter to every Kurosawa samurai movie. The combat skill tree gives you the one slash, huge fountain of blood counter moves and gets sillier from there.

The story has some hiccups and is a little dumb in places but it's a fantastic game if literally any part of that appeals to you, the stealth, the combat or the immense sense of place.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

pretty much, but its well made

it also has a Bushido Blade-esque difficulty mode where only a hit or two is lethal to the vast majority of enemies and the player itself. I highly recommend this mode, cause it actually makes the combat interesting instead of steamrolling every encounter without thinking or planning

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

This is all I know about Ghost of Tsushima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQD3JzDjmRg

So naturally, it's a day one purchase for me.

Taking inspiration from the early Dynasty Warriors games I see.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Jack Trades posted:

Do you want something new or more of the same?
If it's the former then the gameplay of Midnight Suns is loving excellent.
Otherwise Jagged Alliance 3 is on sale right now.

I actually have and have not played Jagged Alliance 3 so I'll probably go with that. It's probably what I want which is just more XCOM :). Unfortunately I don't think firaxis is putting out XCOM 3 anytime soon. Midnight Suns I beat and thought was OK but not amazing. The card battles were surprisingly good all the story stuff was dumb.

Hwurmp posted:

Into the Breach

I've played a bit of this but I don't think I've ever even won a run so that may be another good option. Thanks!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I strongly dislike Marvel stuff and Iron Man was particularly unbearable in that game but I loved the Rube Goldberg combat in Mightnight Suns so much, in spite of it's story.
I really wish there was something else similar to it.

Into the Breach is similar but it's simpler than Midnight Suns and I've already played it to death as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Substandard posted:

I've played a bit of this but I don't think I've ever even won a run so that may be another good option. Thanks!

Rusting Hulks are one of the easiest squads to win with

Cataclysm, Mist Eaters, and Bombermechs are also powerful

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh yea and Antonblast comes out on November 12th. Antonblast is a Wario Land tribute like Pizza Tower, but it's much more.. authentic?

Pizza Tower is built on going really really fast (to the detriment of the level design), while Antonblast's speed of play and general gameplay feel is closer to the actual Wario Land 4. it's got a demo if you want to savor its flavor

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The 7th Guest posted:

lastly Steamworld Heist 2 was just announced, coming out August 8th

!!!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, about Silksong

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Last year a friend gave me his old PS4 when he upgraded to a 5. The only game I bought for it was Ghost of Tsushima, and shortly after that I found out there was going to be a PC port. So naturally, just in case my luck holds up, I bought Bloodborne, but so far no dice.

I never actually got around to playing GoT, so now I'm looking forward to the opportunity to pay for it again.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ZearothK posted:

So, about Silksong

A myth

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Substandard posted:

Chaos Gate: Demonhunters? Or whatever the real title is. Its Xcom but cover/range/etc. only controls how much damage an attack does. You pretty much can't totally miss with an attack.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

habituallyred posted:

Chaos Gate: Demonhunters? Or whatever the real title is. Its Xcom but cover/range/etc. only controls how much damage an attack does. You pretty much can't totally miss with an attack.

That one's very good. It has some really good evolutions of the XCOM mechanics that make the whole experience a lot less tedious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ghosts of tsushima also had a surprisingly popular mp mode.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ghosts of tsushima also had a surprisingly popular mp mode.

Is that a co-op thing? I remember hearing about this a while ago but forgot it had MP since then. Would be cool to do some co-op ninjaing with my friend who is also buying it.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

skeletronics posted:

So naturally, just in case my luck holds up, I bought Bloodborne, but so far no dice.

I remember the fake screenshots of Bloodborne on Steam... still waiting for almost 10 years

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

ZearothK posted:

So, about Silksong

Hollow Knukem Forever

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Star Silktizen

Orv
May 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

Is that a co-op thing? I remember hearing about this a while ago but forgot it had MP since then. Would be cool to do some co-op ninjaing with my friend who is also buying it.

Yeah, it's similar to the FFXV mode or something like Two Worlds 2; create a character, pick a class, do co-op combat missions with small objectives with friends.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

skeletronics posted:

Last year a friend gave me his old PS4 when he upgraded to a 5. The only game I bought for it was Ghost of Tsushima, and shortly after that I found out there was going to be a PC port. So naturally, just in case my luck holds up, I bought Bloodborne, but so far no dice.

I never actually got around to playing GoT, so now I'm looking forward to the opportunity to pay for it again.

You could sheath your sword with a swipe of the touchpad on the PS4 controller, so console may still be the definitive version ok

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Substandard posted:

Midnight Suns combat is the best thing Jake Solomon has ever done IMO

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Away all Goats posted:

Midnight Suns combat is the best thing Jake Solomon has ever done IMO
He talks about it here if you're curious and have three hours https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/jake-solomon-part-2

My TL;DR takeaway was essentially wanting to get away from XCOM probabilities. Also making quicker resolutions to rounds, and on normal/easy difficulty, you're not likely to lose but the gameplay feedback loop is trying to cause as much damage as possible.

Great podcast in general, lots of great names. Someone here recommended it to me for the Justin Ma/Matthew Davis (FTL/Into the Breach) episodes, but I listened to it all. It is long form and unedited however.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Manor Lords is one dude?

Like, how? Extremely impressive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have a pretty lax day today and wanted to play some Jedi Survivor. Turns out something hosed up and my controller buttons are all jacked. The start button doesn't open the menu unless I mash it. The map button opens the map once ever 20-30 presses, but it does evade every time I push it. The evade button jumps. My controller works fine in any other game. Also the camera sensitivity is off the charts. I tried resetting controller settings. I tried changing the steam controller settings. I tried launching through just the EA app. Nothing works. So annoying.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Dwarf Fortress adventure mode is tomorrow, right? Like 7 years ago, I started making design notes for what would be my dream game. I stopped after I realized I was just describing Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode. Wish I had time to play it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Indika is moving up a week to May 2nd to get out of the shadow of so many other games releasing on the 9th. granted, there's several games on the 2nd as well, but none of them are in the same wheelhouse, and only Abiotic Factor is going to be a big seller, so this is probably a smart call

Stoked for abiotic factor from the demo but this is just the EA release so I'm not playing it until it hits 1.0

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

As someone who has no idea what "Adventure Mode" means in context to Dwarf Fortress they don't really make it clear on the announcement about the beta for it what it is and why it's such a big deal.

Edit: Oh, you directly control one dwarf and get to run around doing stuff I guess.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 17, 2024

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The 7th Guest posted:

Pizza Tower is built on going really really fast (to the detriment of the level design)

this is incorrect

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

explosivo posted:

As someone who has no idea what "Adventure Mode" means in context to Dwarf Fortress they don't really make it clear on the announcement about the beta for it what it is and why it's such a big deal.

Instead of a colony management, the game becomes a roguelike (in the old, original sense of the term, there's no powerup to unlock through metaprogression). But instead of a random procgen dungeon, it's the DF world that you generated previously with its history, its settlements, etc. Including the ruins of your previously abandoned fortresses. It's a cool alternative mode.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FishMcCool posted:

Instead of a colony management, the game becomes a roguelike (in the old, original sense of the term, there's no powerup to unlock through metaprogression). But instead of a random procgen dungeon, it's the DF world that you generated previously with its history, its settlements, etc. Including the ruins of your previously abandoned fortresses. It's a cool alternative mode.

Thanks! Sounds cool, probably not what I want out of DF personally but it sounds like a lot of people are stoked about it. I just thought it was weird how the announcements seemed to assume I already knew what it was.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

explosivo posted:

Thanks! Sounds cool, probably not what I want out of DF personally but it sounds like a lot of people are stoked about it. I just thought it was weird how the announcements seemed to assume I already knew what it was.

Adventure mode is more or less what Dwarf Fortress was originally supposed to be, they just got sidetracked by the whole simulating the world part and stumbled into the game it is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

oh yea and Antonblast comes out on November 12th. Antonblast is a Wario Land tribute like Pizza Tower, but it's much more.. authentic?

Pizza Tower is built on going really really fast (to the detriment of the level design), while Antonblast's speed of play and general gameplay feel is closer to the actual Wario Land 4. it's got a demo if you want to savor its flavor

Honestly I liked the demo during the Steam demo fest before the countdown on the second level, which I felt the time limit on the escape sequence was a bit too tight on. It is probably the same demo on Switch but I will try that out to see if they changed anything or I feel differently.