Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Cojawfee posted:

I have a pretty lax day today and wanted to play some Jedi Survivor. Turns out something hosed up and my controller buttons are all jacked. The start button doesn't open the menu unless I mash it. The map button opens the map once ever 20-30 presses, but it does evade every time I push it. The evade button jumps. My controller works fine in any other game. Also the camera sensitivity is off the charts. I tried resetting controller settings. I tried changing the steam controller settings. I tried launching through just the EA app. Nothing works. So annoying.

Oh yeah, i got stuck in this hell. Start searching for the work around that lets you start the game through the old Origin instead of the EA app, that solved the problem for me. Its obnoxious as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

PlushCow posted:

You could sheath your sword with a swipe of the touchpad on the PS4 controller, so console may still be the definitive version ok

the steam deck has two touchpads :dukedog:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tik2DmKCxbk

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Already a thing in the Hades thread, but just wanted to note that the technical test for Hades 2 is starting if anybody already signed up for it through Steam and got in.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Oh yeah, i got stuck in this hell. Start searching for the work around that lets you start the game through the old Origin instead of the EA app, that solved the problem for me. Its obnoxious as poo poo

Yes, the "new" EA App has a reputation of causing controller issues for people, among other things.

Here's the workaround mentioned: https://github.com/p0358/Fuck_off_EA_App

quote:

Why

We're not ones wanting to step on EA's toes, however their new app just does not work properly for many users. The issues they experience are countless, ranging from small annoyances to outright being unable to use the EA App or launch the games at all. This project exists to let people keep using Origin for as long as it's possible, at least until EA App is significantly improved, as currently Origin is the superior solution...

It isn't very elegant but works, at least it solved my issues with Jedi Survivor.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's been a lot of demos released this month. maybe not enough to have a Next Fest between Next Fests (the proper one is in June), but still some notable stuff:

- Penny's Big Breakaway (Sonic Mania dev)
- Slice & Dice
- Front Mission 2: Remake
- Sand Land (Bamco)
- SaGa: Emerald Beyond
- Just Crow Things (Rain on Your Parade dev)
- Snacko
- Sulfur
- Bloomtown (Graveyard Keeper dev)
- What the Car? (What the Golf? dev)
- Dungeon Clawer (The Wandering Village dev)
- GI Joe: Wrath of Cobra
- Athanasia (i know nothing about this but it says 'imm sim with dinosaurs' so i have to include it)

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
:frogsiren: BREAKING NEWS :frogsiren:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2484420/Fat_Rat_Pinball/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejg1vHeAT-I

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 18, 2024

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

I want to say this is just them porting an old flash? game to something they can sell, I've seen this played before by some streamers going through bad browser pinball titles. It would also explain the 2017-2024 copyright.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are there any actual good pinball games?

Is it just that pinball fx game that people play?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yoku's Island Express

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Hwurmp posted:

Yoku's Island Express

More pinball-adjacent. Fun game but not where I'd go if I wanted a pinball fix. I have Xenotilt on my wishlist because someone in this thread liked it but haven't tried it myself.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Pinball fx used to be better but kind of sucks now. Honestly the best solution is to :filez: Pinball Arcade so you can get all the tables that the licenses expired on or whatever. If you can play Adams Family and Twilight Zone you are good for life IMHO.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Visual Pinball X in VR has been pretty much all I touch and I'm very pleased with it. Also free!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I got Demon's Tilt a while back during one the free EGS rotations, it's good fun every now and then.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Substandard posted:

Pinball fx used to be better but kind of sucks now. Honestly the best solution is to :filez: Pinball Arcade so you can get all the tables that the licenses expired on or whatever. If you can play Adams Family and Twilight Zone you are good for life IMHO.
Pinball FX has those licenses now and their versions are much higher quality. Nicer graphics but more importantly physics more true to life.

As mentioned, VPX is great and tons of the tables are very, very high quality. It can be a huge pain to configure but hey it's free.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Why does Uncharted default to a community input layout? Has anyone else experienced this? At least for an Xbox controller it maps it to a keyboard so you get keyboard prompts. Then it like disables all controller input in menus and it puts right stick sensitivity at a very specific 548% that makes you instantly motion sick as soon as the game gives you control.

It’s super jank and it’s just like that as soon as you boot the game up. This community profile has an ugodly number of hours played and based on some google searches some people notice but nobody really has an answer why this happens.

Do developers just have the ability to do this? Why would they do this with such an awful layout?

Baxate fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 18, 2024

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sloppy posted:

More pinball-adjacent. Fun game but not where I'd go if I wanted a pinball fix. I have Xenotilt on my wishlist because someone in this thread liked it but haven't tried it myself.

Oh man I didn't realize this was out -- current beta branch version is the 1.0 release too, so it's only very marginally early access. Downloading the gently caress out of this, happy to report back

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Pinball fx3 is the only real choice, but they do good work. just know going in that the reproduction tables put fidelity first and are what you want if you're looking for accurate pinball physics. The zen original tables tend to be more arcadey and a little more loosey goosey with the physics. I like both, but a lot of purists dislike the latter.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

Nightwave is super forgiving; any 'bounties' you miss during a week just go to the backburner and start replacing bounties you complete in subsequent weeks. For example, if you complete all elite weekly bounties for this week, it'll just replace them with other elite weeklies you haven't completed in previous weeks, so you're never 'capped' on weekly rep.

The reward tracks go on for A WHILE (this one has been going since Nov 29), and anything you missed can show up in future 'remix' tracks.

But mostly what Azran said, don't even sweat Nightwaves, most of the rewards are cosmetic or small stuff like a couple weapon/frame slots and forma packs.

The daily ones don't but they're also not worth a lot.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Baxate posted:

Why does Uncharted default to a community input layout? Has anyone else experienced this? At least for an Xbox controller it maps it to a keyboard so you get keyboard prompts. Then it like disables all controller input in menus and it puts right stick sensitivity at a very specific 548% that makes you instantly motion sick as soon as the game gives you control.

It’s super jank and it’s just like that as soon as you boot the game up. This community profile has an ugodly number of hours played and based on some google searches some people notice but nobody really has an answer why this happens.

Do developers just have the ability to do this? Why would they do this with such an awful layout?

I think the hours is the reason. Steam might pick the one profile with the most hours even if the hour count is caused by a bug or down right trolling.

There was some small game where someone made a community input layout where every single button exited the game, and they somehow managed to get it to be the default one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anyone here playing Sker Ritual? It looks to basically be the era of CoD Zombies that everyone actually liked, and without all of the baggage that CoD brings. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1492070/Sker_Ritual/

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone playing No Rest For The Wicked? There’s an item in the ship during the prologue I didn’t figure out how to get. Probably not worth replaying for it but it bugged me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kaddish posted:

Anyone playing No Rest For The Wicked? There’s an item in the ship during the prologue I didn’t figure out how to get. Probably not worth replaying for it but it bugged me.

I'd love to hear your impressions of the game. That goes for anyone else who picked it up. This game piqued my interest a lot so I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm also interested, but ~40€ for an early access game seems quite steep. It's getting flack for performance issues (surprise), so likely gonna wait and see how it turns out.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
East european game sweatshops have ruined the word Prologue forever for me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Well, the combat is slow and considered so far. The fact that I've only found a claymore adds to that feeling I'm sure. Successfully parrying is difficult.

The art style is great.

Performance has been fine - looks like DLSS will be in but can't enable yet.

Equipment is very souls-like. Bonfire checkpoint is souls-like.

I don't like that I'm getting resources that I can't use like ore and wood.

I hope there's a respec but I suspect there isn't.

I don't like that my resource tools have durability.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 18, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rogue Trader 30% off...hmm. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is an incredible game, but I don't care for 40K as a setting. Borderline case.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Phlegmish posted:

Rogue Trader 30% off...hmm. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is an incredible game, but I don't care for 40K as a setting. Borderline case.

I feel like an 'enhanced edition' is inevitable so I'm waiting for that.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Phlegmish posted:

RT is very 40K, so that's a bit of a tough sell, but it has all of the CRPG and story ambition of WotR, so you might still dig it depending on what you don't like about 40K. There isn't a ton of space marine stuff for example. The game system is a lot more straightforward than Pathfinder.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I just grabbed it because my gaming group is starting a Rogue Trader TTRPG campaign on Saturday and this way I can learn a bit about the setting and have images in mind.

Why yes, I *am* extremely cool.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, if HopperUK says I should get it, that's all the encouragement I need. They don't call me CRPhleGmish for nothing. In fact, they don't call me CRPhleGmish at all. But they should, because I really like CRPGs.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

There is open source pinball program that has thousands of tables but I can't remember what it is called. Couldn't get it to work, but I assume it's user error.

Edit: future pinball

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

someone in the pinball thread said they were gonna make a huge effort post about setting that poo poo up and then they never did :mad:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i have no idea what megaton musashi is but it has cool robots in it and some kind of action rpg game that releases in a week
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2450450/MEGATON_MUSASHI_W_WIRED/

https://twitter.com/L5_musashi_EN/status/1780581983094993143

i hope it's fun

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I heard good things about Rogue Trader when it first came out but then I heard it suffers in the final quarter of the game or so, like they tripped up for a deadline or something. But I also heard there was a big new patch recently so I have no idea - anybody played to the end since then and can comment? The story and world aspects seemed quite cool, I'm not interested in mechanics and just play everything on easy but I do love a good story and world

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i have no idea what megaton musashi is but it has cool robots in it and some kind of action rpg game that releases in a week
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2450450/MEGATON_MUSASHI_W_WIRED/

https://twitter.com/L5_musashi_EN/status/1780581983094993143

i hope it's fun

This game looks cool as gently caress!

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Genuinely had no idea at all Level-5 busted out another multimedia franchise attempt with Megaton Musashi over the last few years.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Yeah, looking forward to seeing how Megaton Musashi and No Rest for the Wicked pan out: they tickle my EDF/PSO and Dark Souls/Lost Ark/Curse of the Dead Gods fancies, respectively.

In other news, from the 'beat a game' thread:

FutureCop posted:

Just beat Half-Life Alyx: as you might expect, it was an incredible experience filled with a large variety of combat, puzzles, exploration, interactions, emotions and so on, all with a great level of polish and subtle depth and intricacies it brings through VR. Constantly surprised me at the level of interactions I was able to do that other VR games don't have enough chops to simulate. Definitely THE VR game to get if you own a VR device, and certainly if you're a fan of Half-Life (and who isn't). Certainly a wild story that people without a VR headset are missing out on: I thought it was going to be an optional sidestory but no, it may as well be called Episode 3!

I feel a bit bad because I've never dove deeply into Half-Life lore: I do love the games and I've recently played Episode 1 and 2 so I was able to understand the general emotional and story beats, but I probably miss on some of the more subtle implications and lore. Like I still don't quite understand things like the Seven Hour War and the combine besides them being an 'event' and them being the 'bad guys' and such. I suppose I could always go on a wiki dive.

I feel really lucky that I never let a headcrab latch onto me: I probably would've freaked out, destroyed my visor and died of a heart attack! As careful and cautious as I can be with ammo typically, I spared no expense when it came to headcrabs.

Wonder what VR game I'll play next...it is certainly a hard act to follow. One that I am looking forward to is something called The Burst: had a great Next Fest demo and gave me Half-Life adventure vibes. If anyone has some great shooters or adventures to recommend, feel free.

Feb 8, 2008
What's the recommended widescreen/quality of life patch for Return to Castle Wolfenstein? Picked it up on sale today and want to relive the glory days of early 2000's Nazi killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I still finding my self playing Balls of Steel every now and then. Each board goes all out with their theme and possible progression of events. Am still floored by what can get unlocked and how it all works together. Adding to them new objects and special effects makes it all better. Have seen a ton of effort being noticiable through parts I've only been able to unlock a few times.

Most memorable for me is what changes can happen on the table about an arsonist starting a terror campaign against a city.

Physics are realistic while not pissing me off like most other pinball games. Still get a kick that that approach also combines with the game being the only pinball type with a violence rating.

With how embarrassing the title is, the game's promotional campaign was even worse.The developer had been made a division of 3d Realms. Their tie in based on Duke Nukem 3d is noticeable for having fewer things end up happening. Makes for the types of advertisements you would expect.

Yvershek fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 19, 2024