Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I heard the DLC for WOTR isn't that great. I have the Midnight Suns one and it made for a fun gauntlet, but not much more.

Should I pick the Jedi Knight or Jedi Master difficulty for Fallen Order? I wouldn't say I'm new to melee action games, heh :smug:, but if I'm going to have to reload constantly otherwise I would prefer to stay Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I heard the DLC for WOTR isn't that great.

It's not, besides the one that adds a new companion, but the next and last DLC is going to be "your whole party hanging out, solving a low-stakes crime together" which is exactly the kind of thing they should've been making in the first place.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

artificially-generated artwork? I'm sold!

...is that loving MakeHuman

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I don't really get Owlcat games, I think. They do neat things narratively, and, yes, I can simply turn down the difficulty to nothing if I just want to see the story, but I'm not sure what the appeal is for building a squad around tackling 45 AC trashmobs in Pathfinder 1e. It just really never clicked with me, I guess. To me, that DOESN'T seem like a challenge: smacking down silly overtuned garbage fights requires specific solutions.

Maybe they get better as they go on? I bounced off Kingmaker and Wrath foreverrrr and did not attempt Rogue Trader. :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I picked up "Minishoot Adventures" because they were talking about it on Giant Bomb yesterday and it's pretty neat, like a bullet hell shmup style link to the past adventure game where you level up the ship's weapons and abilities as you progress through it. Doesn't seem like it'll be a very long game but it's a pretty fun thing for $15 and I imagine it plays well on a deck if you were so inclined.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

wizard2 posted:

I don't really get Owlcat games, I think. They do neat things narratively, and, yes, I can simply turn down the difficulty to nothing if I just want to see the story, but I'm not sure what the appeal is for building a squad around tackling 45 AC trashmobs in Pathfinder 1e. It just really never clicked with me, I guess. To me, that DOESN'T seem like a challenge: smacking down silly overtuned garbage fights requires specific solutions.

Maybe they get better as they go on? I bounced off Kingmaker and Wrath foreverrrr and did not attempt Rogue Trader. :shrug:

I really hate D&D, but despite that I've played through Wrath of the Righteous twice already because I really enjoy the story despite the god awful gameplay.

I do really want to recommend Rogue Trader though. I really liked every part of it, including the ground combat and spaceship battles.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Three hours in, and I don't think I'm feeling Fallen Order. The story seems cool, and while Kal or whatever his name is doesn't have much personality so far, that's preferable to the grating and annoying characters you get in most games these days. The combat is alright, I'm often getting my rear end kicked by basic enemies, but it's clearly a skill issue. Just have to let that muscle memory develop over time. However, what annoys me about the game, and I don't think this will ever change, is that I don't know where the gently caress to go. I'm just running around aimlessly, occasionally plummeting to my death. I know there's a holomap, but it's close to being useless. I just want to watch cutscenes and fight stormtroopers, not endlessly navigate mazes. I am a filthy babby casual. Please hold my hand. Give me a giant floating arrow pointing me to the next place to go. Anything.

If you enjoy that emphasis on exploration, I can see this being a good game, but it's not for me. Unfortunately I am past the refund window. Live and learn.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fallen Order is pretty linear, you just have to retrace the same paths multiple times as you get more Jedi spells, which people were definitely not the biggest fan of. Generally whenever you get a new power either a piece of dialogue will point you back to where you last saw you needed it to progress or it'll be a very obvious giant blue sheen on a rock face or object. I think the one place it really falls down on that is Kashyyyk but that's pretty brief.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fallen order has a couple of neat setpieces and bd-1’s a cutie but otherwise it’s candyfloss, just a forgettable time-filler

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't mind that! I was actively hoping for a casual, cinematic experience. I just didn't realize it was going to have constant platforming and backtracking. Should have done my research.

wizard2 posted:

The appeal is that they give you tons of options when it comes to building said squad, there is actually rarely one specific solution, and it's just fun to dominate what is supposed to be a tough encounter because you paid attention to your builds, composition, buffs, and tactics. They're games that require an investment and reward you for putting in the work, a power fantasy in a good way, which extends to the narrative. I felt satisfied when I finished WOTR on the default difficulty setting, because I knew I'd earned it.

Kingmaker I don't see myself going back to, because I hate time limits, but as far as I'm concerned WOTR is a certified CRPG classic. It's definitely not for everyone, though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jedi Survivor is at least better at that with its addition of fast traveling from the meditation points!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fallen Order being a fairly generic fun Star Wars experience is absolutely a point in is favor as far as I'm concerned considering how goddamn hard it is for anyone to actually make that these days.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I would also consider that to be a plus. We've all seen what happens when they try to 'innovate' too much.

Unfortunately the core gameplay loop is just not that fun to me, which is a shame because it does look good and control well. It's time to move on. Which one next, Persona 5, Rogue Trader, or Wasteland 3?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
With the Manor Lords EA coming up tomorrow I decided to go ahead and kick off a thread. Looking forward to it!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Fallen Order is a game I played through once, had a blast doing so, then immediately put down and never thought about again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've heard many people have called it, Foulin' Odor!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shart Warts

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: I decided to do something I've wondered about but never committed to, and turned as much of the HUD off as possible. This has changed the map design to something really cool to explore... but also now I'm struggling with figuring out what aspects of the HUD to put back because like, did I pick up the loot? Did I miss something?

It's weird and cool and it's turned a very simple early-game mission (go visit the lady in the mountains) into a nightmare of "she's in the north mountains. which way is north. _which_ mountains. gently caress" and it's neat

what is not neat is that the game decided at one point to send me flying into the air at 99999 miles per hour and after we soared over the sea we fell and died to fall damage and uh

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 25, 2024

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

explosivo posted:

I picked up "Minishoot Adventures" because they were talking about it on Giant Bomb yesterday and it's pretty neat, like a bullet hell shmup style link to the past adventure game where you level up the ship's weapons and abilities as you progress through it. Doesn't seem like it'll be a very long game but it's a pretty fun thing for $15 and I imagine it plays well on a deck if you were so inclined.

yeah i played the demo and then insta-wishlisted it. neat little game hope it does well and they expand on it.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Three hours in, and I don't think I'm feeling Fallen Order. The story seems cool, and while Kal or whatever his name is doesn't have much personality so far, that's preferable to the grating and annoying characters you get in most games these days. The combat is alright, I'm often getting my rear end kicked by basic enemies, but it's clearly a skill issue. Just have to let that muscle memory develop over time. However, what annoys me about the game, and I don't think this will ever change, is that I don't know where the gently caress to go. I'm just running around aimlessly, occasionally plummeting to my death. I know there's a holomap, but it's close to being useless. I just want to watch cutscenes and fight stormtroopers, not endlessly navigate mazes. I am a filthy babby casual. Please hold my hand. Give me a giant floating arrow pointing me to the next place to go. Anything.

If you enjoy that emphasis on exploration, I can see this being a good game, but it's not for me. Unfortunately I am past the refund window. Live and learn.

not trying to call you specifically, but ive seen a lot of ppl say that 3d maps like the one used in Fallen Order barely work and I dont get it. I found those kind of maps really helpful for the kind of levels found in these games. Its a bit weird to use it at first, but once i adjusted, it was great for backtracking to areas where I left something behind or scouting around to see if I can access new areas with new powers

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I thought it was good. I also never really got lost, because it pretty much shows when you can't progress and have to go to a new planet.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

explosivo posted:

Yeah, it's a lot of fun and works great on Deck. I'll probably pick it up once I'm through the demo but I'm bad at these games so it's taking me a while.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: I decided to do something I've wondered about but never committed to, and turned as much of the HUD off as possible. This has changed the map design to something really cool to explore... but also now I'm struggling with figuring out what aspects of the HUD to put _back_ because like, did I pick up the loot? Did I miss something?

It's weird and cool and it's turned a very simple early-game mission (go visit the lady in the mountains) into a nightmare of "she's in the north mountains. which way is north. _which_ mountains. gently caress" and it's neat

what is not neat is that the game decided at one point to send me flying into the air at 99999 miles per hour and after we soared over the sea we fell and died to fall damage and uh

You can turn on auto-loot, where it just automatically picks up things from every type of container except the big, obvious chests. That's what I did, saves a lot of button mashing even if you leave the HUD on.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

not trying to call you specifically, but ive seen a lot of ppl say that 3d maps like the one used in Fallen Order barely work and I dont get it. I found those kind of maps really helpful for the kind of levels found in these games. Its a bit weird to use it at first, but once i adjusted, it was great for backtracking to areas where I left something behind or scouting around to see if I can access new areas with new powers

You can tell who the scrubs that never played Descent are

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

You can tell who the scrubs that never played Descent are

Or Daggerfall.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

New Humble Bundle is automation games:

The Colonists
Astro Colony
Cardboard Town
Mob Factory
Factory Town
Buggos
Recipe for Disaster

Haven't heard of any of these, are they any good?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I liked what I played of Factory Town way back when, maybe six hours. Actually might give it another look now it's brought to mind, see how much has changed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

OTXO - finally played this, and wow! That's a LOT of fun, I love the sheer gun variety mixed with the slowdown mechanic, it's all the speed and frantic violence of Hotline Miami but actually accessible to me - but still balanced because the slowdown mechanic does run out and needs to recharge. Very satisfying figuring out how to clear a room!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jack Trades posted:

They should finally release the Citadel DLC for Wrath of the Righteous soon because I'm itching to play through that game for the third time.

I was kind of enjoying Pathfinder WOTR but the character building stuff just totally wore me out. Even after just choosing some lazy person guides to follow I got so drat sick of having to reference that and level up my 10 or whatever characters I just gave up. I remember picking a pet for some class and then learning I had to level up the drat pet like 10 times and pick feats and loving pet classes and I was just done with it.

Rogue Trader is not only more interesting to me but I hope it does away with all of that insane class building stuff.

Maybe I'll go pack to WOTR someday and set it to 'babies first RPG' mode so that I can enjoy the story without having to think about whether my next three levels should go into weiner wizard for the coordinated sofa dancing feat or whatever.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

kazil posted:

New Humble Bundle is automation games:

The Colonists
Astro Colony
Cardboard Town
Mob Factory
Factory Town
Buggos
Recipe for Disaster

Haven't heard of any of these, are they any good?

Factory Town is good.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Total War:Fraggle Rock
gonna donk some Dozers

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Upsidads posted:

Total War:Fraggle Rock
gonna donk some Dozers

Dammit now the theme song is stuck in my head.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
another crab's treasure is surprisingly difficult for something that can be described as "spongebob souls"

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is that the one with the gun boss skip option?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

another crab's treasure is surprisingly difficult for something that can be described as "spongebob souls"

Are you feeling it now Mr. Krabs?

I haven't played it, did they add the Dark Souls mode they joked about or not

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Cross-posting from Beat a Game thread:

FutureCop posted:

Just recently beat Jusant and it twas a very beautiful and captivating climbing game set in this Mad Max-esque desert world, minus the crazy paint-huffing bandits and all that. As a rock climber myself I loved a lot of what this game did, and overall the gameplay was very reminiscent of something like Journey, so for fans of games like that, it's a big recommend from me.

Apart from the obvious gorgeous presentation and vibes the game gives off, I think the best part of the game to me was how deep and interesting the climbing mechanics got and how it kept introducing new elements at a steady pace to keep things interesting. Typically with these types of, shall we say, 'art' games, I get worried as the game practically plays itself from me just holding forward and feels like all style over substance, and I'm glad to see that this thrashed that expectation. No, it isn't Celeste or Getting Over It levels of challenge, but it did enough to hit that sweet spot of being an engaging experience with some moments that make me ponder or work out a solution while still technically being a smooth trip without many actual failures or trial-and-error.

I feel a bit bad because I played this on GamePass, and if I were to be honest, that's probably the only way I would've played this game in the first place. Yes, I do think this game is lovely and worth the money, and I'm trying to be more open nowadays to purchasing games like this, but very short and artistic games like this can be a hard sell when stupid brain worms make you think you can comparatively get more bang for your buck by getting an infinitely replayable action roguelike or huge RPG. Just something to think about in this new world of subscriptions and such: I suppose it's a blessing that games like this have more of a chance to get played through GamePass, but I also wish they could be loved more directly without GamePass.

Speaking of GamePass, Another Crab's Adventure is on there and I'll probably play it there as well. Demo impression was a bit mixed for me: I think it's most likely really good, but I did have a bit of an awkward first impression with it. Combat was a lot more challenging than I thought: felt like enemies locked on and stretched their limbs in such a way that it felt overbearing and awkward to get around their attacks and such. It might be what Oxxidation says: perhaps it's just the goofy cartoony graphics giving the impression that it's going to be a lot simpler than it is and that threw me off.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Rogue Trader is not only more interesting to me but I hope it does away with all of that insane class building stuff.
It's effectively an original system and works a lot better but there's still a bunch of choosing feat-type-objects. It seems harder to gently caress up though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zereth posted:

It's effectively an original system and works a lot better but there's still a bunch of choosing feat-type-objects. It seems harder to gently caress up though.

It helps that the combat system is actually fairly well designed and not another horrible D&D derivative.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Finally checking out Shadows of Doubt and man, this feels extremely fresh. I'm not sure I've even found any crimes yet, just been climbing through air vents and reading people's emails and digging in their garbage, and being generally antisocial. Basically feels like a Rorschach from Watchmen simulator.