Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Severed Steel owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

Severed Steel owns bones.

:hmmyes:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The Steam thread is dead. Long live the Steam thread.

For the Jaws of the Lion DLC for Gloomhaven, when is that meant to be played? I know that the tabletop version was meant to be more a streamlined introduction campaign to the megalith that is Gloomhaven proper.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Elden Ring good. A friend started their playthrough recently and I started playing on a new character, a pure STR warrior I haven't played since DS3 (and I played the games in a reverse order, 3-2-1->ER). Probably won't have to patience to do everything on a same magnitude than on my first go, but it still feels good. I did the game first time around as an INT melee/mage and then changed to a faith build after finishing to exploit some of the better weapons available for my clean-up (since I missed a LOT of stuff, even if I tried to search for it)

I wonder how much of the angry feedback from other (western) devs back when it launched were internet exaggeration but it just baffles the mind how little hand holding a game generally needs and how much of it the games generally throw in your way nowadays. We live in an era where people will read walkthroughs on their first play not to play "wrong" so it's just so refreshing to have an open world game like this.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jack Trades posted:

FFX is the most boring game I have ever played and I have suffered through 30 hours of it become one of my friends kept insisting that "it gets good soon".
That'll teach me to trust people.

I've never understood this about FFX. It's always been full of bland characters, a generally boring story, super linear paths and an asinine way to level up.

It has some nice visuals but it's just meh as a game.

I often wonder if it has the same hype behind it as FF7 does because it might have been the first FF for some people after they got a PS2 as their first console.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kin posted:

I've never understood this about FFX. It's always been full of bland characters, a generally boring story, super linear paths and an asinine way to level up.

It has some nice visuals but it's just meh as a game.

I often wonder if it has the same hype behind it as FF7 does because it might have been the first FF for some people after they got a PS2 as their first console.

I think it's almost a historical curiosity at this point and worth playing trying to imagine what the context was like as a major 3D jrpg with full voice acting when that was brand new. Especially if you are coming from FF9, FFX will give you insane whiplash.

I feel the same way about Shenmue, even if the 3rd is a massive stinker that shows the creative lead had not learned anything in the previous 17 years.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do any of the Final Fantasy games hold up if I strongly disliked FFX's characters and story?

The only other experience with the series that I have is FFXIV 2.x through Heavensward was pretty drat good. ARR and Stormblood were mostly boring though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Do any of the Final Fantasy games hold up if I strongly disliked FFX's characters and story?

The only other experience with the series that I have is FFXIV 2.x through Heavensward was pretty drat good. ARR and Stormblood were mostly boring though.

I'd recommend looking into the 3d remake of ff4 the pc release of ff9 so you can see if you enjoy either game's casts.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Unlucky7 posted:

The Steam thread is dead. Long live the Steam thread.

For the Jaws of the Lion DLC for Gloomhaven, when is that meant to be played? I know that the tabletop version was meant to be more a streamlined introduction campaign to the megalith that is Gloomhaven proper.

Whenever you want, really. It's no longer an introductory campaign, it's just a mini-campaign within the bigger one.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jack Trades posted:

Honestly, despite it being a bit of a cliche at this point, Final Fantasy 7 is one of the best ones made.

It's got a blend of scifi/fantasy and it's leveling system/magic is pretty straightforward.

I dunno how easy it is to deal with the running around pre rendered backgrounds these days, but if you're looking for a decent story with big set pieces (for a FF game) you can't go wrong with it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

If a friend started playing Elden Ring, would Seamless Co-Op be the way to go?

Cantorsdust posted:

Crossposting from the hidden gems thread since the game’s on sale:
DLC? What?

I thought I might have gotten the base edition with no DLC in an itch.io bundle, but steam isn't showing anything either.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

TeaJay posted:

I wonder how much of the angry feedback from other (western) devs back when it launched were internet exaggeration but it just baffles the mind how little hand holding a game generally needs and how much of it the games generally throw in your way nowadays. We live in an era where people will read walkthroughs on their first play not to play "wrong" so it's just so refreshing to have an open world game like this.

The previous games had some issues with really obscure pvp mechanics and poorly described stats but in general they are wonderful games for just letting the player mess around and learn from their mistakes. "Savescumming" is basically a core mechanic, encouraging the player to experiment and there isn't any fail state. No quests to stress about either, just some character vignettes and hidden content for a second playthrough.

It helps that there aren't really a ton of different systems going on under the hood compared to most modern games. No skill trees, unlocks, reputation meters or whatever. I actually think Elden Ring moved a bit too far in the opposite direction and while its one of my all-time games, I'm not sure I want another one.

Gamefaqs walkthroughs, achievement hunting and the idea of 100%ing a game has been around forever though and I think its hard for folks to adjust to a playstyle without that.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Some games from this months Humble Monthly have leaked:

Doom Eternal - https://store.steampowered.com/app/782330/
OlliOlli World Rad Edition - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1190170/OlliOlli_World/
Tribes of Midgard - https://store.steampowered.com/app/858820/Tribes_of_Midgard/

Koburn fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 2, 2023

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Resdfru posted:

So anyone got any recommendations for games that 3 to 6 year olds can play? For an idea of what they like: they love Wobbly Life and Grand Theft Auto 5 (with the family friendly mod). So basically open world driving but you can get outta the car and do stuff too.

I think sadly Wobbly life and gta v modded are gonna be it. So I'll take other types of games that are wholesome and kid friendly if anyone has any

Maybe check out Motor Town: Behind the Wheel

You'd be better able to judge how accessible it is to kids that age, but it's a game about driving around and doing things (though more driving focused than running around).

They might also enjoy Under Leaves, a really beautiful hidden objects game

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Resdfru posted:

So anyone got any recommendations for games that 3 to 6 year olds can play? For an idea of what they like: they love Wobbly Life and Grand Theft Auto 5 (with the family friendly mod). So basically open world driving but you can get outta the car and do stuff too.

I think sadly Wobbly life and gta v modded are gonna be it. So I'll take other types of games that are wholesome and kid friendly if anyone has any

My five-year-old niece is completely in love with Slime Rancher and Bugsnax. Might also be worth looking at Chicory; that has a mode where player 2 can just colour stuff in, I believe.

For driving, Motor Town has lots of different kinds of vehicles but it's not really aimed at kids and at the moment, Krampus is wandering around and is a bit spooky for tinies perhaps. But maybe glance at it anyway.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Resdfru posted:

I don't know about playing it, but that age group—generally—seem to love videos of Farm Sim. There's even dedicated streamers/youtubers who mod in bright coloured terrain and machines, neon level, and drive around obstacle courses, etc. specifically making content for toddlers. If you got the game it's easy to get a "government subsidy" mod that gives you either hundreds of thousands of cash a day, or else millions, and just buy fields, machines and tractors to your heart's content.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
FFX is a good game with solid character work and a fairly cohesive story and extremely annoying side quests

That’s it’s appeal

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I randomly tossed Trombone Champ into my cart and I don't regret it a bit. My kids and I were laughing our asses off everytime one of us attempted a song. What a stupid fun game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

FFX is a good game with solid character work and a fairly cohesive story and extremely annoying side quests

That’s it’s appeal

The consistency of your takes is fascinating.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

It's a stand alone story. You can import it into a main campaign if you want to keep unlocks but it'll be a bit easy. That being said it actually has more gimmick missions and gimmicky classes even if the difficulty is lower.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jack Trades posted:

The consistency of your takes is fascinating.

That’s literally the coldest take anyone could have

I have hot takes but they aren’t relevant here

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Resdfru posted:

I'm on my phone, so no link, sorry. Nuclear Blaze (I think that's the name) has a kid-friendly mode made specifically because the dev has a young child. The steam page has his adorable explanation for it.

My nephews (5 and 7 now) love Sonic Mania, and have for a couple of years.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 2, 2023

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Xander77 posted:

If a friend started playing Elden Ring, would Seamless Co-Op be the way to go?

DLC? What?

I thought I might have gotten the base edition with no DLC in an itch.io bundle, but steam isn't showing anything either.

I was wrong and misremembered. The Time of Creation update was free. Will edit the post.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Resdfru posted:

Have a look at Tracks: The Train Set Game. Very young kids won't be able to build the track, but can still have fun making the train go round and blowing the whistle.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s it’s appeal

FFX is a very good fantasy blitzball manager with an rpg game tacked on.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I was not aware that ytmnd worked on iOS these days.

There goes my morning…next you’ll be telling me SA has a front page.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I randomly tossed Trombone Champ into my cart and I don't regret it a bit. My kids and I were laughing our asses off everytime one of us attempted a song. What a stupid fun game.

It's so funny. And a goon game!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mrenda posted:

I don't know about playing it, but that age group—generally—seem to love videos of Farm Sim. There's even dedicated streamers/youtubers who mod in bright coloured terrain and machines, neon level, and drive around obstacle courses, etc. specifically making content for toddlers. If you got the game it's easy to get a "government subsidy" mod that gives you either hundreds of thousands of cash a day, or else millions, and just buy fields, machines and tractors to your heart's content.

Every year on my birthday I go with my sister and her little girl to the zoo. A couple of years ago the kiddo was about two and a half and we went on the little steam train thing that goes around the zoo. We adults were all gasping and pointing and showing her elephants and stuff and she was politely interested, and then suddenly she leapt to her feet and pointed and shouted "TRACTOR!!!"

There was a tractor doing something in a field on the other side. We asked her in the car what was her favourite animal at the zoo and she said it was the tractor.

Anyway now she plays Minecraft but just as a way to collect as many cats as possible and walk around with them.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

And it's a goon game!

E:fb

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shrecknet posted:

no it just means there's a stamina bar and attacks have windups
there's a "story" difficulty setting if you get frustrated

I played on “story mode.” I’m just a button-masher and wanted to see the story, so it all worked well for me.

I play Chun-Li/E-Honda levels of button-mashing, too…but I’m currently in the middle of Trek to Yomi on easy and it’s a lot of fun.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Resdfru posted:

I have “Alba: A Wildlife Adventure” (on Epic lol), and my grandnephew and cousin’s girl (both 6) almost cried when they had to leave after Christmas. My brother is mad because his grandson wants a PC now (he did have fun with original Doom, tbh with God-mode on). I will probably spin up my old GTX 970 rig for his birthday to alleviate the pain, now that you can replace a graphics card reliably. My PC doesn’t have IG, and a couple of years of no graphics cards/no graphics output-ports if my 3070 died meant I hoarded my hardware like Scrooge.

Oh, Wuppo is good and fun too!

Edit:
Spelunky even older games are family friendly…try to think of games you personally enjoyed as a youngster and, more importantly, why you enjoyed them and you can’t go wrong. My toddler loved emulated Donkey Kong (yes, the original) as much in the 00’s as I did as a kid in the 80’s, for instance!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 2, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Jack Trades posted:

The Final Fantasy games are pretty much unrelated to each other except for the title. There are some mechanical similarities, but not as much as you might expect from the fact that they all share a series title. The earlier games in the series basically defined JRPGs as a genre*, so they might be worth checking out to see how it evolved. That said, the NES games (1-3) are pretty old school and may not be that appealing if you like more modern games. The SNES sequence (4-6) is the high point of the series IMO, and I would definitely recommend looking at those. The PSX games (7-9) are more of a mixed bag, and they're also a bigger time commitment, so I'm going to recommend those less strongly.

If you're going to play the older games, the Pixel Remasters are the way to go. They're closer to the original releases than the 3D remakes are but they have some quality of life features that have become standard in the last thirty years.

*The early Dragon Quest games were heavily influential in the NES days as well, but the series never really evolved as much as the Final Fantasy games did so it's become something of a throwback since then.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Jack Trades posted:

9 is another good starting point if you like a more traditional high fantasy-y setting instead of the emo/scene kid style cyberpunk of 7. The pacing and graphics have aged way better than (not the modern remake version) 7 IMO.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Honestly, if you strongly disliked the characters and story from one Final Fantasy you'll probably dislike all Final Fantasies

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Hi, I'm stupid as hell! How do I insert a steam widget into Gmail?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

kazil posted:

Honestly, if you strongly disliked the characters and story from one Final Fantasy you'll probably dislike all Final Fantasies

I played (and was stuck for months on the very last fight to end the game!) Final Fantasy on the GameBoy. I played it (on the same GameBoy) last year. Still fun, last fight took two tries. That is still the only Final Fantasy I ever played, mainly because I loathe JRPGs. I’m warming up to a bit of more recent anime (Avatar:TLAb in streaming, re-re-watching all the Ghost In The Shell movies/shows again), but I have never enjoyed a JRPG long enough to finish one since.

Thank you for reading my FF/JRPG experiences. I will now take questions on Vampire Hunter D, of which I own a VHS copy. It had one boob in it, which I thought was awesome that I could rewind and, um…watch vigorously as a teenage boy.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Following on the farming simulator chat - are the controls straight forward for a six year old, or are there mods to simplify them? My son has Farming Simulator 14 and 16 on his tablet and is asking for one for my computer, but I don't want him to be overwhelmed or frustrated with the controls. Tablet is super straight forward. I bought one of the Farming Simulator games a year ago and ended up refunding it because to do something like chisel a field you had to do a bunch of button presses that there's no way he would remember. If there isn't a mod like that for Farming Simulator, any recommendations for simple and straight forward farming games for kids? Thanks Steam thread, you never let me down.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

americanzero4128 posted:

Following on the farming simulator chat - are the controls straight forward for a six year old, or are there mods to simplify them? My son has Farming Simulator 14 and 16 on his tablet and is asking for one for my computer, but I don't want him to be overwhelmed or frustrated with the controls. Tablet is super straight forward. I bought one of the Farming Simulator games a year ago and ended up refunding it because to do something like chisel a field you had to do a bunch of button presses that there's no way he would remember. If there isn't a mod like that for Farming Simulator, any recommendations for simple and straight forward farming games for kids? Thanks Steam thread, you never let me down.

The controls for Farm Sim 22 (the best one to get) would be somewhat difficult for a child, but if they have basic reading there's a box you can have in the top left corner that'll tell you what all the button presses you need to do are. It does play well with a controller, XBox or whatever, if you have one of those. There's still lots of button presses, but the box is there explaining those as well. What's more difficult is the ordering of when you plant and what you have to do to get maximised harvests. I've seen adults have trouble with that (because they're not willing to watch youtube videos explaining it.) With all this stuff though, there's a lot of accessibility/difficulty options in Farm Sim, where you can turn off some of the more difficult stuff like ploughing, or crop destruction, etc. You can even turn off "Seasonal" growth that only lets you plant certain crops at specific times of the year. Plenty of people play with it off. The Farm Sim devs are very forward on making things as easy or as difficult as you'd like. And with the mods I mentioned giving you loads of money being easy to get it'll let you do whatever you want.

I would say it's more of a "supervised" game, at first. Not because there's anything inappropriate in it, just because there'll be things to learn.

One thing is it's on XBox Game Pass. So if you have that it's on the plan, and if you don't there's all the tricks of getting Game Pass for a €1/$1 for a month to trial it. There's loads of DLC but you absolutely do not need more than the base game for just farming. There's also a huge amount of mods, and a pretty decent mod integration system, so just trying out various equipment can work as well, along with maps. It'll definitely take some setting up and watching some videos if you just want to let them cause havoc around the map, but that could also be plenty of fun for a six year old once you have it setup?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Personally I like Sekiro best because you never get stuck wondering if your gear is bad for a fight, if you should level more, if this is a fight where they expect you to use summons, if you're doing things in the right order, etc. The simplicity of just having one weapon and a few different side moves really does a helluva a lot for the game. Elden Ring is really good if you don't mind a bit of grind to get a new weapon up to par and can resist throwing yourself at the same enemy a hundred times though.

there is no fight in any souls game where you are expected to use summons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux posted:

there is no fight in any souls game where you are expected to use summons

Radahn maybe but that's pretty much it