Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

This has been bubbling under the surface for a while, but has now reached an apex of nostalgia where I’m THIRSTY AF for it..

..I really, really want a Gears of War Collection on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wouldn't object.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gromit posted:

Noita is an amazing game, but if you try it and think "this is too hard and utter poo poo", please join the Noita thread before you uninstall. Because that's how I reacted to it until I learned some things and here I am with 1200 hours in it.

It's one of those games where you have to die a lot to learn how things work and some of the mechanics are quite obtuse. But man, the way things can interact is insane, and there is a ton of game in there.

Great steam workshop and mod support too. I know a lot of people like to use the "edit wands anywhere" mod and mods that make enemies drop health pickups occasionally. IMO the original design of (usually) just being able to heal and edit wands between zones is really good for the pacing of the game once you get used to things & keeps you incentivized to push forward, but when you're still learning the map and figuring out how to build wands they can be really helpful easing the learning curve. I know they've kept quite a few people from bouncing off the game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my impression of noita based on people's posts is that no one has any interest in beating it and everyone just enjoys seeing how they can die in the most spectacular ways

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Gloomhaven is great but yeah you absolutely have to play aggressive to not exhaust your resources. If you have like, Fire Emblem Brain where you're used to the best (or at least easiest) solution is to tiptoe forward to lure in 1-2 enemies to alpha strike you'll have to break that habit.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The 7th Guest posted:

my impression of noita based on people's posts is that no one has any interest in beating it and everyone just enjoys seeing how they can die in the most spectacular ways

"Beating" Noita is a complicated thing. If I had to guess how many players have seen or even knew about The Work, for example, it would probably be 0.1% of the player base.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i beat most of the games i buy, so roguelites and i have a fundamentally incompatible relationship

(i did beat rogue legacy though, and got to whatever the end of Binding of Isaac and Monolith existed in their earlier stages of development, before they added more content later)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

So will this lean more towards the city builder side, or is it comparable to Bannerlord?

Because I normally do not care for city builders in the slightest, but I love me some Mount & Blade

I have no idea since the demo didn't have any fighting parts yet. I guess we'll see when the game releases. I would imagine city building will be a big part though, but interested to see how much finesse combat has, since personally I'm the opposite and usually don't care at all about games where you send a bunch of armies to bonk against each other.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the roguelike thread:

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2455920/Mimic_Logic/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256982748/movie480_vp9.webm

Do you like the "one of these guys always lies, and one always tells the truth" kind of logic puzzle? Here it is as a roguelike. Pretty neat for $3.99.

I picked it up to give it a whirl because I like logic puzzles of this sort and it's only $4, and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone else who's intrigued by it. There's different difficulty levels to choose with varying difficulty hints, a real time hunger meter that isn't super oppressive IMO but does encourage you not to stay on one puzzle too long if you're stuck, barebones intermittent combat that basically serves to ensure you're completing some of the puzzles (you can skip after opening safe chests even if you haven't figured out all the safe ones, but you miss out on the rewards and near the end of the run you get a bonus if you opened up the vast majority of safe chests). It's already been worth more than $4 to me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Propaganda Hour posted:

"Beating" Noita is a complicated thing. If I had to guess how many players have seen or even knew about The Work, for example, it would probably be 0.1% of the player base.

This tells you everything you need to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMx6fPyCbCI

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

sebmojo posted:

I was kinda hoping this would lead to Jerma's "the debt" arc video

https://youtu.be/6zOiCpzjweU?si=Dy621g_r3iP2EJiB

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Keep in mind Gloomhaven is a board game at heart so there's a bunch of abstractions (enemies drop money tokens on the floor, and they have to be looted by characters during a mission; all the money on the floor is lost once the level ends). The campaign has a lot of gimmicky scenarios, the character variety is gigantic (even if there are some major balance issues with some classes) and a few things don't work quite like you'd expect (traps are useless unless you move enemies into them, summons act on their own and are exceedingly fragile so you need to 'initiative dance' on purpose to make sure you go after enemies, etc.) It's one hell of a board game and it's very popular in the board game world but I can't wait for its sequel to get its own app, it's quite a leap forward in design and balance.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
FWIW Gloomhaven was very much not my jam. You’re right that you have to treat it like a puzzle game, but it’s too abstract and unintuitive in its implementation IMO. I found myself poring over the various options and carefully weighing which resources to burn… in order to walk two steps and pick up a piece of gold. Nah.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The one thing I didn't like about Gloomhaven is that there's low key a Max Numbers Of Turns you can take to complete something because otherwise you just Exhaust yourself to death [or whatever the mechanic is called]. I had a real hard time getting a feel for how quickly I needed to be moving which ultimately soured me on it, which is a real shame because every other facet is so up my alley.

I did snag Godsworn; it seems pretty cool, but very few Missions so far. Hard to recommend at its current price, I think. I guess some replayability as you can pick your Hero for each level but I'm not sure I'll do that right away. Also like I didn't have the resources at the time to place a Gold mine on this one mission, so my NPC ally beat me to it and then I just couldn't get any gold production for a whole level lol.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

my main problem with GH as someone with a couple hundred hours of both digital and in-person Gloomhaven is the randomness of the enemy action cards and the combat deck. Also that the 1st edition of GH has some serious balance issues (for example, most of the best items in the game are the ones that start unlocked; you'll be lucky to find 1 or 2 new items per unlocked batch useful, if at all) and the wider Gloomhaven community gets a bit insane when it comes to spoilers - there was an incident some time ago on one of the big Discords where they contacted the creator to make sure class colors (as in, the color of their associated cards, character mat, tuckbox, etc) wasn't considered a spoiler since the company had started selling t-shirts with the character logos and colors and the Discord wanted to know whether that could be freely talked about or if they had to spoiler tag discussion of the colors.
For a lot of people, discovering new stuff in that game is most of the fun so there's a secondary subset of character names you're supposed to be using at all times, at least one thing that the creator straight up does not want to see mentioned anywhere online and silly stuff like the Minor Health Potion being non-spoiler info but its big brother, the Major Health Potion being a spoiler you may be asked to remove unless you refer to it by item number or tag it accordingly. It really put off my entire playgroup and it's something I can't say I'm too fond of.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
brain worms

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

how does a board game have spoilers

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Magitek posted:

brain worms

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The fact that I can't select and copy the CD Key dialogue is super weird. I'm sure I used to be able to?

write them down what

Owl Inspector posted:

There is a book of adventures/narrative quests that build on each other, it's like a board game campaign, it's fun

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Squiggle posted:

The fact that I can't select and copy the CD Key dialogue is super weird. I'm sure I used to be able to?

Yeah I remember that too. Maybe from the overlay?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Installed this weeks free EGS game, Islets and about an hour in, it's appears to be a competent Hollow Knight clone, if you need something to scratch that itch.

Graphically, it doesn't have quite the same atmosphere (yet), but it has its own charm.

So far, movement and combat (as simple as it is currently) is pretty smooth and fluid. I kinda like it, I'm going to stick with it for a while.

Edit: Yeah, I think it's pretty neat. People might feel like skipping it "because it's not Hollow Knight", but after a couple of bosses, I would consider it rather well designed.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 30, 2024

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Owl Inspector posted:

There's a bunch of characters and campaigns and such that you unlock on the way and until then each one of them comes in an envelope that you have to physically open to be able to see what is inside.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Wrote a small review on Islets on the metroidvania thread as I finished it just a few weeks ago, and I enjoyed it a lot. It's not as challenging as many others of the genre and that's fine. It still has a few bosses that can take a few tries. But it's nice and comfy and definitely worth checking out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Squiggle posted:

write them down what

There is a book of adventures/narrative quests that build on each other, it's like a board game campaign, it's fun

fyi, if you do want to copy on screen text, Snipping Tool lets you

after making a screenshot, select "Text Actions"

It's even quicker with Power Tools, but that's a separate utility

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Owl Inspector posted:

there are board games with secrets, kind of started with "legacy" versions of games like Risk Legacy. each playthrough has some things in packets or sealed compartments you're not supposed to look at before it's time to use them, and there are permanent stickers that you're supposed to apply to the board to give territories bonuses or drawbacks, or just nuke a city. not every game even has everything, there are some packets where multiple versions exist but only one is in each game box

they're meant to be played repeatedly by a group of mostly the same people, kind of a neat thing.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

woke kaczynski posted:

Crossposting from the roguelike thread:

I picked it up to give it a whirl because I like logic puzzles of this sort and it's only $4, and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone else who's intrigued by it. There's different difficulty levels to choose with varying difficulty hints, a real time hunger meter that isn't super oppressive IMO but does encourage you not to stay on one puzzle too long if you're stuck, barebones intermittent combat that basically serves to ensure you're completing some of the puzzles (you can skip after opening safe chests even if you haven't figured out all the safe ones, but you miss out on the rewards and near the end of the run you get a bonus if you opened up the vast majority of safe chests). It's already been worth more than $4 to me.

Picked this up and am enjoying it a lot so far

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Squiggle posted:

I'm guessing... some sort of measure against key resellers?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Returnal is decent enough, especially for less than 20 bucks. But it's not full-price good.

I would say its definitely worth the money it's got some replay value as well and looks absolutely gorgeous. It's not as deep as some other roguelikes like Isaac but I prefer the combat in this.

Definitely interested in the bundle, I never got Returnal on PC, would love to replay it there.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any tips for starting out in Erannorth Chronicles? it seems like something that will be fun once it clicks, but oh man, the early going seems a little rough and I've got information overload. Not sure how even to start fighting enemies.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any tips for starting out in Erannorth Chronicles? it seems like something that will be fun once it clicks, but oh man, the early going seems a little rough and I've got information overload. Not sure how even to start fighting enemies.

This unfinished LP works amazingly as a tutorial! Like - even though she hasn't gotten back and finished it, she explained the basics in a way that made the game click for me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sebmojo posted:

Oh this is actually a great noob guide, wow

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

StrixNebulosa posted:

This unfinished LP works amazingly as a tutorial! Like - even though she hasn't gotten back and finished it, she explained the basics in a way that made the game click for me.

That's perfect -- thanks!

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is Gloomhaven good? I enjoy tactical rpg combat.

Yeah it's great. I got like 200 hours in it. It's pretty tough though, and the way the action economy is set up you're worried the whole fight if you're gonna make it to the end, and will sit there agonizing over how to best use a turn. Your life total is also the number of times you get to act in a fight, it's kind of hard to explain.

But if you like tough tactical turn based stuff it's right up your alley.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Also re: GH - the having to pick up coins thing adds an extra layer of stress to it, like you're always thinking about if you have the time to loot if you need to keep pressing with the time you have left. And being efficient always has a reward.

Also sometimes your best party member "retires" and you gotta slot someone new in and figure out how it's gonna work, and how your new guy is gonna synergize with the guys you have now.

It was a special kind of game that generates constant stress, if you're into that sort of thing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah the moment to moment gameplay in GH is great, there's a reason why I have 400 hours into the game :v: the Jaws of the Lion DLC is also a minicampaign that was actually a standalone boardgame folded into the digital implementation of the original game, it adds four more characters that are pretty well designed. What I was trying to get at originally is that XCom is a videogame that feels like a boardgame (kinda like Into the Breach, for example), while Gloomhaven is a board game that feels like a videogame.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

McCoy Pauley posted:

Do not ignore the journal. It will point you to quests - select only 'easy' and 'normal' at first. Make sure you've selected some combination of race/class stuff that has some attack power, don't try to do something too fancy at first. You go into places in the overworld. You start on a town - click on it and choose the lowest-level explorable area. You move through screens fighting enemies and resolving encounters. When you level up you can spend points on your Character sheet (c) and make changes to your deck in the Deckbuilder screen.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

I was kinda hoping this would lead to Jerma's "the debt" arc video

https://youtu.be/6zOiCpzjweU?si=Dy621g_r3iP2EJiB
Ha, 4:20 mark.
'I don't have to open a wikipedia with 5000 articles... Just get Cool item and use.'

Gromit posted:

Noita is an amazing game, but if you try it and think "this is too hard and utter poo poo", please join the Noita thread before you uninstall. Because that's how I reacted to it until I learned some things and here I am with 1200 hours in it.

It's one of those games where you have to die a lot to learn how things work and some of the mechanics are quite obtuse. But man, the way things can interact is insane, and there is a ton of game in there.
Also just loving Mod It when you get tired of something. The game is difficult and obtuse enough already. You only lose out on Steam Achievements.
I quickly got bored of traversing the first area for a perk. But you don't want to bum rush the first level because you want Wands and Gold though! So I have a mod where it has 1 of 3 for me to pick from at the start.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What's this I'm hearing about a new Dragon Age? I thought Inquisition was pretty decent, even though it had too much busywork. I'll keep an eye on it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I vaguely remember finishing Inquisition, but like the only lasting impression I have left about it, is that the game felt more like a chore. Looking back, I think I genuinely prefer Dragon Age 2 more, at least that game was interesting in its terribleness, Inquisition was just dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

What's this I'm hearing about a new Dragon Age? I thought Inquisition was pretty decent, even though it had too much busywork. I'll keep an eye on it.

They announced it years ago, along with Mass Effect 4. Neither has had anything shown other than pre-rendered crap.

Maybe they'll actually happen at some point, maybe not.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 30, 2024