Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SirSamVimes posted:

Is the Seven Deadly Sins DLC worth picking up too?
i like the deadly sins missions but the gimmick of the pack is that each one plays differently to the main game in a specific way, so they're not high-priority content because they mostly function as a holiday from the usual rules of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
HADES 2:

As an EA purchaser of the first game who absolutely loved it, I'm actually going to recommend not buying it unfinished. I had a blast in the original and enjoyed myself thoroughly, but by the nature of having mastered old content before new stuff got dropped, the progression - both gameplay and narrative - was kinda jumpy and slightly spoiled. Like a new narrative arc would drop for the early game, but I'm long past all of that and out of new voice lines and so the game would suddenly have that entire plot fast-forwarded at me in the next two runs. Similar things happened with gameplay/mechanics updates, and it was worst of all when 1.0 hit with the huge content update that really didn't mesh well with already-winning main character.

Supergiant is going to release Hades2 come hell or high water, it's gonna be amazing, but as much as I love the studio they don't need your funds this time around and you can save yourself for the finished package.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

StrixNebulosa posted:

so, for magic the gathering arena, I've decided to engage with what my brother calls "the biggest controversy in magic right now"

meaning the existence of this guy:

usually when I see him, I just leave the game because he's bullshit

Yesterday I said "no, gently caress it" and built a deck around him... and he's fun to play :getin:

Too bad you have to ask Post Malone if you can use the One Ring card.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Waffle! posted:

Too bad you have to ask Post Malone if you can use the One Ring card.
:what:

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Pretty much since Early Access became a thing to today I've held the "No Early Access" rule, have not bought a single one. Never will.

I mean, the obvious first reason is the game never actually being finished (and steam is littered with such examples), the other is the less obvious one: the game might end up something else entierly from what you thought it was gonna be when you bought it. There is also the bonus third option: you lost interest in it by the time it was complete.

For me it's just easier to buy something complete and know what I'm getting than vague promises.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

He bought it for $2 Million when it was found

mystes
May 31, 2006

TuxedoOrca posted:

Pretty much since Early Access became a thing to today I've held the "No Early Access" rule, have not bought a single one. Never will.

I mean, the obvious first reason is the game never actually being finished (and steam is littered with such examples), the other is the less obvious one: the game might end up something else entierly from what you thought it was gonna be when you bought it. There is also the bonus third option: you lost interest in it by the time it was complete.

For me it's just easier to buy something complete and know what I'm getting than vague promises.
Early access can mean a lot of things, though. If you just stick to games that are already reasonably complete but are marked early access because they will still have more content added or significant balance changes or something, it's not that different from buying a lot of games that aren't marked early access, and probably none of the issues you are talking about will be a concern.

I'm sure there are early access games that are more like a prototype that's still in early development, but that's clearly not the case with things like Hades 2.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

HopperUK posted:

If you look in the steam forums you'll find that actually it's extremely woke

literally first thing Herocaitë says is "Hail, Sleep"

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

mystes posted:

Early access can mean a lot of things, though. If you just stick to games that are already reasonably complete but are marked early access because they will still have more content added or significant balance changes or something, it's not that different from buying a lot of games that aren't marked early access, and probably none of the issues you are talking about will be a concern.

I'm sure there are early access games that are more like a prototype that's still in early development, but that's clearly not the case with things like Hades 2.

Tbh there are a lot of broken games released everyday that should be labeled early access

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my opinion on early access is a bit different bc in the old days, if a dev got screwed over by their publisher, you just got nothing and hoped that someday a prototype ROM got found and dumped by some collector

at least in this era you have easy access to the prototype in the event that something happens. I think it would actually be interesting to buy and play a lot of abandoned EA games from a curio standpoint

it sucks for the people who initially bought in and ended up left at the altar, but it’s neat to me from a historical and preservation angle. imagine if you could just buy and play the original Prey 2 prototype that was nearly finished, or whatever was made for Megaman Legends 3 before it was axed.

E: I mean I wouldn’t like rewarding the publisher with the proceeds but unfortunately that’s capitalism

I also get the “changes over time” thing but that also happens with non-EA games, like Borderlands 2 infamously made balance, stat and economy changes post-release to appeal to the super hardcore dorks posting in their forums whining that the game wasn’t hard enough, and that’s why the enemies are such bullet sponges and why raids take forever and are super boring

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 7, 2024

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
If a game is actually good enough to tempt me into buying it in early access, I have pretty much no concerns about it not being completed

But if you're a degenerate steam buyer I guess it could be dicier

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
It would be nice if Valve would enforce some form of standards on what EA is and is not and make it very clear that it is not a finished game, you are not guaranteed a finished game, you should expect bugs, performance issues, missing content, savegame resets, etc. and put that poo poo as a big, explicit warning label on every EA page. The notice currently on the store pages makes no mention of potential problems other than the game "may not change further" while the Learn More link leads to a sales pitch on why EA is rad and exciting. It would also be nice if they would put a reasonable time limit on EA and not let devs charge full, released game prices for broken bullshit but, you know *rubs thumb against fingers*

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Serephina posted:

HADES 2:

As an EA purchaser of the first game who absolutely loved it, I'm actually going to recommend not buying it unfinished. I had a blast in the original and enjoyed myself thoroughly, but by the nature of having mastered old content before new stuff got dropped, the progression - both gameplay and narrative - was kinda jumpy and slightly spoiled. Like a new narrative arc would drop for the early game, but I'm long past all of that and out of new voice lines and so the game would suddenly have that entire plot fast-forwarded at me in the next two runs. Similar things happened with gameplay/mechanics updates, and it was worst of all when 1.0 hit with the huge content update that really didn't mesh well with already-winning main character.

Supergiant is going to release Hades2 come hell or high water, it's gonna be amazing, but as much as I love the studio they don't need your funds this time around and you can save yourself for the finished package.

Perfect, this is what I was wondering and just confirming my decision to hold off and play something else :cheers:

I did buy Hades 2 anyway because these guys seem good for it, but I almost never purchase Early Access/preorder

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If devs weren't allowed to charge full-price for EA games you know they'd all sell at the same price point they are right now and go up 400% when they enter 1.0

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It would be nice if Valve would enforce some form of standards on what EA is and is not and make it very clear that it is not a finished game, you are not guaranteed a finished game, you should expect bugs, performance issues, missing content, savegame resets, etc. and put that poo poo as a big, explicit warning label on every EA page. The notice currently on the store pages makes no mention of potential problems other than the game "may not change further" while the Learn More link leads to a sales pitch on why EA is rad and exciting. It would also be nice if they would put a reasonable time limit on EA and not let devs charge full, released game prices for broken bullshit but, you know *rubs thumb against fingers*

Valve? Enforce?
That sounds like it would take human labor

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
my bold, and perhaps.. iconiclastic take is that the best Early Access games release already feature complete and have responsive devs seeking public feedback for fine tuning mechanics, and squashing nasty bugs, which can lead to sometimes a new direction and a better path forward

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Squiggle posted:

It's like...Gothic Morrowind that looks like Nightmare Creatures, buying this immediately

It's fantastic, I played to the end of content a couple weeks ago and enjoyed the whole time. I'm looking forward to 1.0, it's good enough that I might just start from zero even if my save works.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i don't play early access games (my brainworms tell me it's because i only get to play it for the first time once, and i want it to be as a complete game) but i've ended up picking up a few just because i know i'm gonna buy it at release so i might as well let the dev eat now, and when it comes out i've forgotten the money i spent on it so it's like i'm getting it for free.

but i also only buy games that are clearly going to be finished, and are being worked on by one person or a very small team who are passionate about the game. idk, i feel like gut feeling more or less always steers me right here.

cruelty squad, hrot, lunacid, the last spell, against the storm - all success stories and all fantastic. probably forgot a couple games.

ultrakill, death trash, and zero sievert are the ones i'm currently waiting for and i'm more or less 100% sure they'll all come out in 1.0.

dread delusion was the same way - i played the demo, was unbelievably impressed, had a look at what the dev said and thought this game is for sure coming out. and here we are :cool:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't play early access games (my brainworms tell me it's because i only get to play it for the first time once, and i want it to be as a complete game)

That's not brain worms, that's just valuing your own time.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I constantly buy Early Access games. Some of them have been in development for long, some not so much (yet). Usually what's common is I tend to get a lot gametime from them but get burnt out somewhat and don't immediately follow up even when new content is added. I played Valheim 120 hours when it first launched and only this month got around doing some additional content they added (Mistlands). In these kinds of slow burn projects it's sometimes very interesting to see where the game is now comparing to the launch. But I've generally been happy with my purchases even if some games get more content later.

Perhaps right now I'm a bit more wary, I want to buy No rest for the wicked, Hades 2 and Ender Magnolias, but they all get reviews saying they'll very likely be better with a bit of time, so I don't mind waiting.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Serephina posted:

That's not brain worms, that's just valuing your own time.

i don't value my own time at all when it comes to gaming lol, i'm happy to frivolously waste it if i'm having fun.

it's more that it ruins the organic feeling of playing a game, for me. if i played it in early access and then played it again later, i'd know exactly what content is new and what isn't. i wouldn't really engage with the stuff i was replaying because i'd be too excited to play the new stuff, which i wouldn't be stumbling across, but specifically seeking out. i would not be playing the game as a game, but as a theme park with some new rides. the end result would be that i wouldn't really enjoy either as much as i would if i had just waited to play it all for the first time. i love playing games for the first time. it's a completely irreplaceable feeling for me.

the brain worms . . . !!!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Having fun is the opposite of wasting time

Unless you’re one of those productivity sigma grindset hustle 24/7 people but I doubt it

Edit: playing a game you don’t like much, and maybe not having fun - That might be a waste, you could be playing a better game

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
you waste time by being alive so waste it well by playing good games :cheers:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't value my own time at all when it comes to gaming lol, i'm happy to frivolously waste it if i'm having fun.

Yeah just when gaming, I am otherwise a highly productive and valued member of society

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am so hyped for Dread Delusion 1.0.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
EA is cool if you're happy with the state of the game as it is at the time you buy it. I don't tend to touch story/exploration games in EA though. For extremes, I'd throw both BG3 and Dread Delusion in that category. That's stuff I want to have a first playthrough in when they're finished, not repeating 14 times the first area and having to do it again when 1.0 hits.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Speaking of EA games and what they have become, anyone ever played the 1.0 version of PixelJunk: Nom Nom Galaxy from years ago? I wonder if it ever became more than just a weird excerpt of Terraria where you are gathering ingredients to create soup recipes which are then send offworld via rocket ships BUT you also need to occasionally stop attackers who want to demolish your operation.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mierenneuker posted:

create soup recipes which are then send offworld via rocket ships

Forget the game, just blockchain the poo poo up of that concept and that's a few easy millions of dollars in VC money.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Squiggle posted:

It's like...Gothic Morrowind that looks like Nightmare Creatures,

:stare:
whoa, just noticed this..

Squiggle posted:

buying this immediately

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Curse you, thread!!!
I've already got 100 hours in this game, not counting however much I've played on Mobile.
Can't decide what Class I want to play this time...

I think my only real complaint with this game is, yea there's a million ways you can build a party... But why wouldn't you just go for any of the Turn-Zero-Win builds.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Sab669 posted:

Curse you, thread!!!
I've already got 100 hours in this game, not counting however much I've played on Mobile.
Can't decide what Class I want to play this time...

I think my only real complaint with this game is, yea there's a million ways you can build a party... But why wouldn't you just go for any of the Turn-Zero-Win builds.

:wrong:

u have been blessed :)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Welp

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1787835350745842153?s=46&t=EdcrR5gNtvGhprFQKf8Bmg

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hey, Microsoft buying up every developer and publisher just means it's going to make the game pass have much more va... oh...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I guess Redfall's just not going to get those DLC characters people already paid for lol.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2128270/Path_of_Achra/

quote:

new stuff for version 1.0
Added 8 more cycles, can now right click the cycle bar to go down in cycle
Added Arjana, culture, apply 1 Blind when attacked, +1 stacks of Blind applied by you
Added Myrmidon, class, +1 Inflex per 5 points of Dexterity, Block doubled against non-adjacent enemies, shield retaliates with block-scaling death damage
Added Apophis, religion, grants you strength every time you enter a level, causes you to inflict % max life astral damage to yourself whenever you are attacked
4 new starting poems, from the tablet of the vizier-imp
3 new tracks to round out the theme of the recent ones
Added a brief "credits" screen

other tweaks -- as always, ongoing
Kull now grants +1 stacks of Evasion applied by you
Baghatar's Kilij now grants +2 physical damage per point of speed
Takhal 2nd prayer now deals 100 * (number of enemies) damage to yourself
Stormbringer changed, now instead gain charge on dealing ice (not freeze on lightning), removed on kill part, area damage now also triggers on divine intervention (previous freeze from lightning was causing an infinite combo involving crystal hand)
Crowform self-damage changed to flat 15
Zealot Hood heal reduced to 5% of max life
Ill Manica changed, now deals poison damage on attack, applies meditate to self on dealing poison damage (previous form had an infinite combo involving cobra staff)
Arja Spear ice damage changed to your total Block
Xyston now increased physical damage by 20% of your armor
Prayers no longer charge if you're dead
Eris no longer continuously gains upgrades in the Path of Dust
Skeleton is now treated as having a full bag in the Path of Dust

some plans for beyond v1.0

more special void areas
more interesting / flavorful feats
the eternal tweaks / rebalancing of items / powers
potentially other stuff, depending

Thank you again for joining me here. Makes me seriously very happy

*also thank you for the bug reports / typo-finding, you've caught more than I ever could alone, it's been tremendously helpful

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Man this sucks real bad.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

So is games industry thread staying closed forever? It's been on a break for more than 5 months

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sininu posted:

So is games industry thread staying closed forever? It's been on a break for more than 5 months

Yup, this was decided a while back.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Not too surprised about Arkane, but didn't Hi-Fi Rush do quite well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kennel posted:

Not too surprised about Arkane, but didn't Hi-Fi Rush do quite well?

I haven't seen the numbers but Character Action games don't sell.
Unless you're DMC5.