Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been going through my Steam library hiding games I will never touch again and removing all the f2p games from my account. Here are things of minor interest that I spotted in the recent (2020+) news of ancient games:

Ancient abandoned 2d platformer roguelite Catacomb Kids started getting updated again in 2020 and has been updated as recently as last November

Some free open source spaceship RPG from 2015 called Destination Sol got a full release in 2020 and I truly do not remember a thing about it, but the reviews seem pretty positive for a free game

Roguelite car combat game from 2014 Death Skid Marks went free last August because the devs achieved their goal in funding from it a few years back. I think it was possibly goon developed?

That old wartime survival game This War of Mine is now part of the curriculum in Polish schools (they have a recent news post about it)

A large chunk of DLC for Saints Row 4 became free last month

in September Bioshock Infinite released a patch titled "Quality of Life Update" that literally did nothing except add a 3rd party launcher to the game and apparently make it crash constantly for everyone. There's a statement, from September, that says "EDIT: 2K are aware of possible impacts related to the recent update and working to resolve. Our player's experience is paramount, and we'll update our community with more information as it becomes available." but it looks like it's still not fixed :laugh:

The source code and art/music assets for the first Anodyne went free in 2020

That old dinosaur survival game Ark did an about face and became a battle royale game last month :confused: https://store.steampowered.com/app/407530/ARK_The_Survival_Of_The_Fittest It says it's a "prototype spinoff" of the original ARK but it replaced the original ARK in my library

The new Epic-exclusive Sins of a Solar Empire must be extremely bad because Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion started getting updates again last year.

Serephina posted:

You'll be delighted to know that that same mistake is still being made in the modern day. The most recent DK2 clones (War for the Overworld & Dungeons 3) both have a no-base mission where you guide around a large blob of dudes and hero units. Dungeon Keeper clones, with no dungeons. Sigh.

They should have kept the dungeons :hai:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

it is funny that all my life the one thing i would rather grab a controller to play than use a keyboard would be a fighting game and yet apparently that's the trendy way to do it these days, they just call them "hitboxes"

I used to play a shitload of 2d fighters in MAME using a keyboard and I always felt like it was the best way to play, I could never comprehend how anyone could use something as imprecise as a stick for entering combos that need to be extremely precise, especially when keyboards exist and let you mechanically enter that qcf in a way that can't be goofed :sweatdrop:

Like a QCF on a keyboard is literally just: Press and hold Down, Press and hold Right, release finger from Down. But on a stick you might accidentally start with back-left instead of down or whatever or you might accidentally roll too far and go to up-right and jump instead of do your move. Or at least I do, as someone who rarely uses gamepads/sticks.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 19, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i'm also making the assumption that they've mostly reused everything from mechwarrior online to build mechwarrior 5 because that seems like the most logical thing for them to do in my mind but maybe they said gently caress it and rebuilt everything from the ground up, but worse

MWO has much better mechfeel than MW5 and I don't think any assets are reused between the games. For all the complaints about MWO, after bouncing off of MW5 I got kind of addicted to MWO for a while because it was the type of mech game I wanted, more of a simulation, less of an action arcade thing. But it didn't last long because unlocking new mechs is an enormous grind.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

credburn posted:

Hey what's a good Survivors game? I liked Vampire Survivors a lot and just played through Soulstone Survivors. I gave Brotato a shot and I like it but it doesn't have enough meta progression for me.

You can play the game that Vampire Survivors ripped off if you have an android phone
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vkslrzm.Zombie&hl=en_US&gl=US&pli=1

e:f;b

Black Griffon posted:

Magic Survival is very fun, but unfortunately it's only on Android. If you wanna survive away from the computer that's a good bet though.

I've always been kinda sad that VS got as popular as it did when it literally just lifted all its ability designs and etc. from this game. It has developed in a different direction but it was a straight clone when it blew up.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 20, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I only know that because I played Magic Survival despite almost never playing phone games and got kind of addicted to it for a while but no one I mentioned it to wanted to play it because "you don't even aim!!", then right around the time I was getting burned out with it VS came out :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

IMO Amplitude's biggest strength is their surreal brand of French weirdness in world building. They create fascinating worlds and fill them with fascinating inhabitants and stories. Their 4x games themselves have always been competent and fine (and Endless Legend was even Good) but rarely anything more than lukewarm mechanically, it's the vibrant and imaginative worlds that drive them along. So it's just really strange that for Humankind they chose to go with a historical, grounded-in-reality game about combining modular pieces of real, existing Human cultures on Earth. And it went about as well as could be expected.

e: Which is pretty much the same sentiment echoed in that thread :v:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 20, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Morter posted:

Any thoughts on Roboquest? Even though i'm not a fan of roguelikes, it looks polished and fun compared to the other roguelike shooters I've picked up and dropped in my library.

I cannot get into it after 8 hours of trying over several months, I'm not really sure exactly what it is and I know a lot of people consider it the "best feeling" of the FPS roguelites but I guess I just have different tastes because it's the worst-feeling of the ones I've played IMO; it's floaty and weightless, the guns have no punch and are very unexciting, none of the enemies or areas are particularly memorable. But I think my main complaint about it is that it's one of those FPS where you're expected to be bunnyhopping and jumping on bounce pads (with like full air control I think? I can't remember) and moving at max speed constantly and that's just never fun to me in a FPS. There's also an obnoxious amount of dialog/text in it for this kind of game (I believe most of that was added by the newest patch a few days ago)

I've beat runs of it before (and even had metaprogression maxed out earlier in EA when there wasn't much to it) but they are disgustingly long and I start hating playing it like halfway through the first area (of... 5? that get much longer as you go?)

It's just like the most generic-feeling game imaginable to me, I suppose.

e: People on the Steam forums say a run takes about 45 minutes but in my experience it feels more like a 3-4 hour slog that takes place over 45 minutes. But TBF I have that problem with other FPS roguelites, every time I get to the snow level in Gunfire Reborn I groan and alt-f4 despite really enjoying that game for the first ~20-30 mins of a session.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 21, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been very curious what everyone was talking about with Rain World's controls so I looked up the wiki and https://rainworld.miraheze.org/wiki/Controls :psyduck:

It has 4 movement directions + 3 buttons. This wiki page and its subpages feature instructional gifs of about 70 different contextual actions you can perform by using combinations of those same 3 buttons + 4 arrows. It looks like it'd be fun and fluid after figuring them all out but noooo thanks :effort:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

1) lmao

2) reminds me of this
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1563127781604872193

Is "repeat the same line over and over" the hot new thing in AAA gaming?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

its the former but they keep updating it which adds some freshness to it, the next update is adding a political layer with clans and bloodlines. it probably wont be very deep but its a fun enough sandbox to pop into every once in a while to gently caress around and see whats new.

The last time I checked it out (a few years ago on mobile) it didn't seem like anything really 'happened' in it. Like you could place creatures and civilizations but essentially all it was doing was making a map, little dots would run around seemingly at random and delete each other and stuff like that. I was disappointed at the time but the idea of the same thing with some actual simulation behind it sounds cool so hopefully this + other systems work out well, I love the idea of it as just like a sort of virtual ant farm.

e: This post is mostly just because I am surprised that they are expanding that side of it at all, and it sounds kinda rad.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 23, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

https://twitter.com/graysonmorley/status/1617523118612045826

Sounds like Forspoken embargo may be lifted and.. yeah.. THAT happened

I. Just. Got. Low. Scores. I just got low scores! I just got low scores. That just happened. I got low scores. I'm someone who gets low scores now! I CAN GET LOW SCORES! I cast spells and talk to cuffs and get low scores! That's real now!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

1upmuffin posted:

The Steamworld Build demo is fun, just came out today (the demo, game comes out later). It's a city builder where you switch between city and underground view, and both have different gameplay loops but feed into one another, smartly done, recommend giving it a go.

To expand on this, the above-ground part is an Anno clone and the below-ground part is a Dungeon Keeper clone. I haven't played it yet but it looks cool and Anno & DK both own

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Despite all of its problems, Darktide is still the absolute best game in its genre. I'm burned out on it now but I already put more hours into it than Vermintide 1 + Vermintide 2 + Deep Rock Galactic combined.

Comprehensive list of the "unfinished" parts of the game:
It's not yet possible to craft a perfect weapon, they can only come from drops

Legitimate fun-inhibiting problems the game has:
Some players are plagued by crashes, disconnects, and poor performance.

Things that reddit posters are foaming at the mouth about:
You only have access to a limited selection of missions which rotate in and out

There were weapons in the concept art that aren't in the game

Some passive skills don't work as described in the tooltips and/or are just broken/not working. Similarly some stats don't work the way you expect (e.g. only one class gets full benefit from crit chance)

There's a cash shop (note: there is ZERO indication in-game that there is a cash shop unless you run up to it in a physical 3d space and interact with it. There are zero ads/reminders/fomo timers/shop icons outside of the shop screen)

Not enough architectural variety/maps are all visually samey

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 25, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Conversely if you actually watch cutscenes, why are you playing videogames instead of watching movies? :hmmyes:

e: The last cutscene I can remember not skipping immediately when given the option is the intro cinematic to Dawn of War 1

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Agent355 posted:

Because the gameplay and cutscenes should both work in tandem to deliver an experience? That's like saying watching movies with the sound off is identical to the same experience you'd get with the sound on. You're just ignoring a portion of the experience.

Believe it or not people play games for all kinds of different reasons! I have not paid attention to the story in a game since the SNES Final Fantasy games because it's not the part of games I'm interested in, I am interested in the part of the game that's a game, and full of complex interactive problems to solve. If I care about the story I will read the wiki because reading is a much more natural and enjoyable way for me to enjoy a story. Get this: I also skip dialog whenever possible! I will literally just click the first option, or whatever option is colored for "use this one to unlock new things or progress the game". I will absolutely never under any circumstances listen to voice acting! Even in the extremely rare cases where I get temporarily invested in a game's story for the first 30 minutes before it wears on me I will absolutely never allow a voice actor to speak a full skippable line because it's agonizingly slow compared to reading and makes games actively un-fun for me.

I play most games with the sound off, too :ssh:

I'm not "ignoring the experience" with games like Disco Elysium or whatever - it's just an actively un-fun and grating experience to me, so I don't play it.

Unsurprisingly this plays a large part in determining which games I think are good.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 25, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure most video game fan wikis contain far more text than the games themselves, the in-game story is practically the abridged version.

e: But really I think you're making the mistake of assuming that my taste in stories is exactly the same as yours or that I'm even interested in reading a synopsis of a game like Disco Elysium or whatever. Baldur's Gate is another example of a game that I have never played, will never play, and have zero interest in reading a plot synopsis of - but I love Icewind Dale 1 + 2 :hellyeah: Also Storm of Zehir is the best only good NWN2 expansion.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 25, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm just using DE as an example of a story-heavy game that would not be fun if you don't care about the story. I don't know many other examples because I don't play those games :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Triarii posted:

I enjoyed reading up on the story of Elden Ring after I'd finished it, partly because I had no idea what had happened and it was still mostly a mystery. It was kinda like walking past a huge street brawl on my way home from work, and then later reading a news story about it that explained what everyone was fighting about, and saying "ohhhh, that's why that one guy was so mad".

:yeah: That's a good example of the kind of game I'll read the wiki plot synopsis for. Or Roguelikes/roguelites, or whatever. Basically I will play a game for 100+ hours enjoying the game mechanics and then go "huh, I wonder what that was all about anyway" and then go read an article that says "Well the moon was evil and it cursed everyone and now you gotta fight it" and I say "oh, neat." and move on.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i know i'd always rather read a 1200 page gamefaq written by xXx_s3ph1r0th_xXx than pay attention to a game's story, it's clearly the better experience. it has so many more words!!!

See personally I agree with this statement because (1) I am a very fast reader and (2) In text form like this, you don't have to be linear and chronological and you can instead read the parts that are interesting, go back to old parts to re-read them, etc. But if I were to actually play the game I am stuck at the glacially-slow pace the developers set and the pacing and flow is constantly broken up by switching between action and cutscene (and I have pretty bad ADHD so that is intolerable to me). And also (3) because I 100% guarantee you that xXx_s3ph1r0th_xXx has played the game back-to-back every week for the past 16 years and has an encyclopedic knowledge of it that would put its own writers to shame.

I miss giant gamefaqs guides :smith:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That might be the philosophical axis that this swings on because IMO it's not my responsibility to respect a game's content, it's the game's responsibility to respect my time. If it's not fun when I skip the cutscenes, it's not a game I like.

I have no idea why I'm even participating in this conversation though because I can't remember the last game I played that even had cutscenes :sweatdrop: I just scanned through my Steam library and the last games I played that even have enough of a narrative to include cutscenes were Elden Ring in April 2022, and before that it was Dishonored 2 and Pathfinder: WotR in Fall 2021.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Of the 10 most recently played games in my Steam library, 5 are city builders/colony sims, 3 are factory games, and 2 are roguelikes. :blush: This is what skipping cutscenes looks like.

e: There are cutscene-heavy city builders, believe it or not. Frostpunk and IXION are by all accounts good/cool city builders, but they're both story- and narrative- heavy so I skipped them. And as much as I like Anno, one of the reasons I burned out on Anno 1800 is because of the way it makes you re-watch (extremely short!) cutscenes and listen to (extremely short!) dialog every time you do things like unlock a new region, and I got sick of seeing/hearing those every time I restarted my game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 25, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Trick Question posted:

I just remembered that there's one game with good cutscenes and it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQeAxxKcqmQ

so if you're playing God Hand, don't skip the cutscenes. Otherwise skip away! An easy mnemonic device: "If it's not God Hand, hit the skip button, Stan."

Ahh goddamnit you just reminded me of a pure-cutscene game that I love: Asura's Wrath

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I wonder how many people who are upset by the idea of people skipping cutscenes are imagining that this is happening in their favorite 80-hour dialog-based RPGs and stuff like that.

You don't have to worry about me disrespecting the cutscenes in The Witcher 3. I will disrespect the entire game instead by having zero interest in playing it :clint:

If you think I'm missing something by skipping the cutscenes in Tropico or Total War, well... :shrug: But yes I absolutely will go read a wiki about a faction's story in Total Warhammer to find out why this ogre hates the greenskins so much, after willfully skipping the 90-second cutscene that would tell me the same thing. And I prefer it that way.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 25, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

this is referred to as "emergent storytelling" and there's a whole genre of games that revolve around it. check out rimworld!

e: i'm being informed rimworld is for sickoes

Games, as an interactive medium, have the ability to tell interactive emergent stories in a way that other media never could. They're the only media where you, as the audience, get to experience the same adventure that the protagonist is on - because you are the protagonist.

The rest of this is personal hot take and I'm not saying anyone's dumb for disagreeing with me, so cutscene-stans keep it in your pants:

There is absolutely nothing about a pre-written, linear story that can be done better in videogames than it can be done in other mediums, and trying to mix interactivity (gameplay) with linear hands-off "being told" a story (as opposed to "living" a story) is frankly, IMO, bad. It feels like reading a book but with chores that you have to do before the chapters unlock, which is an absolutely hideous idea that makes my skin crawl.

Making a game be about a linear narrative, rather than emergent personal storytelling (the only story being my story, of the path that I took, the challenges I overcame, and probably how I died before the end) feels like like an artist picking the wrong medium for them. If the linear narrative is good enough to stand on its own purely as a narrative that's worth experiencing, then literally any medium other than "hot-swapping back and forth between interactive problem-solving and being told a story" would be fine to me, but playing a narrative or story-based videogame is like interactive nails on a chalkboard to me.

Like I'm fine with a light narrative to push things along, but if your videogame is trying to be literary, then why are you making a videogame

Ironically the only story-based videogame genre that I can see as benefitting from the videogame format is Visual Novels/Interactive Fiction. Games that are explicitly not "games", games that are explicitly as novel-like as possible, that can (not saying they all do, but they can) insert small bits of interactivity to enhance the narrative without breaking up the flow. I guess the same is true of those games that are pretty much just a movie that you watch and do QTEs in. Sure, whatever, maybe that can be cool, because it's focusing on being what it works as, and only pulls in the "videogame" part occasionally, hopefully for a meaningful reason.

I read extremely fast, and I optimize and min/max the poo poo out of every game I play which means I play everything at essentially speedrun pace. If you throw in cutscenes or voice acting, it is guaranteed to be lagging significantly behind where I am mentally at in the game/story/whatever. I was the kid in English classes whose eyes would glaze over because of how slow everyone was reading as they took turns reading aloud, so I'd silently read ahead, get 2 chapters deep by the time they got to page 6, then go home and devour the entire book that night. Meanwhile the class would spend the next 5-6 weeks reading the same amount of text. It's just so inefficient... :gonk:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 25, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/949600/Intergalactic_Fishing/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256731240/movie480.webm?t=1581441079

there can be no other :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'd be happy to be wrong, but Redfall looks super disappointing to me, much in the same way that Deathloop did pre-release. The actual gunplay and combat mechanics in Arkane games are never particularly great, and this is a game that seems to be doubling down its focus on combat and being a shooter compared to (pre-Deathloop) older Arkane games. And sure I'd like to think that won't detract from the exploration and world interactivity but... well, it sure did in Deathloop. It also seems to be an open world game which nine times out of ten means less-interesting environments. The guns look very boring and uninspired much like Deathloop. Also it's just a personal taste thing but I hate the art direction in Deathloop and Redfall, I can't put my finger on what differentiates it from Prey and Dishonored but everything in these two newer games looks like it's made out of completely smooth plastic or something. I think it's just the usage of much simpler geometry, maybe as a cost-cutting thing? They remind me of Fortnite.

e: But I know their interactive sim games never sold particularly well so I understand that they've got to find a way to be profitable without big publisher bucks behind them. I hope it's successful whether I like it or not because they generally make neat games :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 26, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Give me a game with extremely detailed absurdly granularized random gun stats except don't let me reload guns so that I am always just using whatever I find and it behaves unpredictably every time. Give me a John Wick looter shooter.

e: All the guns you loot go in a queue and display in a "next up" bar on the side like in Tetris.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I took a sociology class before memes were a thing and the textbook referred to the modern interpretation of memes (not like a specific image meme, but 'meme' as in a category of image memes or whatever that are all variations of the same joke) as "Anomie", pronounced "an-o-may"

edit: I misremembered, "Anomie" refers to something that makes society's moral values break down, which checks out :hmmyes:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 26, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I love big chunky granular stats but I hate when games have multiple stats that do essentially the same thing. I always think of Grim Dawn as my go-to example of terribly overblown stats. First of all there are like 17 different elements, and each element has an associated damage type, and each damage type has its own set of associated stats like damage, damage over time, crit, and also it's own unique resistance value. Your character generally only deals one type of damage, so right off the bat a whole lot of items are useless to you. But it gets even worse because sometimes an item will roll with a stat that's split between two damage types, like pierce/acid damage, each of them at a lower value than pure pierce or acid would be, and those items are only useful to very specific builds that deal split damage types. That's not even including the possibility of items that don't have ANY stats related to the damage type you deal, which are almost always not worth using. The end result is that approximately maybe 1 in 60+ items is even potentially relevant for your build.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

playing Subnautica helped me get over my phobia of open expanses of water that came from getting stung by a baby man-o-war when I was 6 or 7. I mean I still don't want to go in the ocean but I can watch movies or play video games about it now.

Therefore I agree that

exquisite tea posted:

Shouldn't an arachnophobia mode INCREASE the amount of spiders? They will in my games, that's for sure.

e: I also got bit by a toucan as a kid and gently caress those things still, if anyone knows something that's like Chex Quest but for Froot Loops hit me up

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

anyone else playing Hi-Fi Rush have the onscreen button prompts switching back to keyboard immediately when there's no controller input? like it'll say E key, I press A on the controller and it switches to the xbox button prompt then go right back to the E key

it seems to work okay but it's driving me to total distraction

I've had this issue in the past caused by Steam's Desktop controller configuration, which makes gamepad buttons double as keyboard keys. Some games seem to not be able to ignore the desktop configuration when playing the game (and it definitely happens with non-Steam games using a controller while Steam is open). Not sure if that's what's going on for you but here are instructions for disabling it:
https://github.com/Davidobot/BetterJoy/issues/991 (Look for the second option under "Two Solutions")

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 27, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

oddly now the game refuses to recognize input despite changing to controller prompts (and staying there) when i press a button

(e) i'm trying to play on gamepass, that's probably important. i've also tried exiting steam - no dice

(e) i just tried a dualsense with DS4Windows running, and that worked fine :pwn: I'm beginning to think 8bitdo controllers are, in fact, bad

Fwiw I use a switch pro controller personally and I have had the exact same problem with gamepass games. I think I just take for granted how convenient Steam is for gamepad config stuff

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Excuse me but you mistyped FFXI in your post

FF11 is the best MMO of all time and continues getting better. FF14 is a pretty ok WoW clone. :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think Open World is pretty meaningless these days, like Roguelike. It's one of those terms that everyone uses for something different and there's no consensus. So now you get people saying a game isn't an open world game because it's actually split into 3 separate gigantic open maps, and you'll get people saying a game is an open world game just because it has sidequests and dungeons.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's such an incredibly basic mistake. You could literally throw together a better, non-repeating procedural sky texture in Blender in like 10 minutes. Hell, including the clouds, too. For a multimillion ostensibly AAA game it's just :psyduck:

I literally draw giant skybox textures just for fun, because they're fun to draw. Even if they were doing it that way with a hand-drawn skybox texture it would take maybe 15 minutes of effort to get something that looks better than what they ended up with, lmao

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

No Wave posted:

It's formally an "open world game" when you have half-baked crafting systems and shitloads of markers on the map with copy-paste objectives. You can argue a bunch of stuff is open world, including Zelda 1, but I don't find the discussion interesting.

Diablo is an open-world game by this description :hmmyes:

e: Not saying that is wrong

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

(not that it will help with the RDR2 situation but) If you really want to game the refund system: Submit a refund request immediately after purchasing a game. Being actively in-game will not prevent the refund from processing and you can continue to play long after it's refunded, you only lose access to it when you close the game, at which point you can decide to buy it again or not.

I am also fairly certain that you can request a refund, then switch to Offline Mode and play infinite hours forever and you will only lose access to the game when you return to Online Mode.

e: Not that I think there's any reason to do this in particular, they're just silly quirks of the refund system that I've noticed as someone who refunds a lot of games.

e2: Also using Paypal for Steam purchases makes refunds much faster/easier which may be necessary to do this in the first place

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 29, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

John Lee posted:

no my rare marvel heroes achievements

Don't worry, those are still there!

note: Despite what this says, I have never "completed" a single game on Steam or got every achivement for a game, so those stats are untrustworthy at best

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sininu posted:

You can just click on the number and it tells you that the one perfect game you have has one achievement for just launching the game.

Nice, It's a f2p game with only one achievement ('play the game') that I removed from my account

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There is no chance in hell I will ever play this game but look at this game full of absolutely ghastly nightmares for anyone with thalassophobia

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256917685/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1669227119
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1338840/Death_in_the_Water_2/

Plot spoilers: Death is a giant kraken with mind-control powers that is both stalking you through the ocean and mind-controlling sirens and sealife into attacking you

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Surprisingly, Labyrinth of Refrain is on the less-horny end of the spectrum of Wizardry Clone dungeon crawlers. It mostly uses the horniness as a theme rather than as fanservice like many games in the genre do.