Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I grabbed dotAGE on a whim when it first hit and was pretty pleasantly surprised. I didn't realize it was totally turn based. The actual player interaction is really simple and straightforward with obviously relaxed pacing due to the turn based style. It's hard though and big picture applies a lot of pressure to you fast, and ultimately feels very much like a digital version of a difficult solo worker placement board game if that's your vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

One of the really big basic things is Dragon's Dogma was a standout especially at the time cause it was an open world game with incredibly fun combat. The pedigree and Capcom clearly pulling from DMC, Monster Hunter, and their fighting games was really evident. Things overall have gotten better since 2012, but in a world of Elder Scrolls type bullshit actually having high quality action combat was kind of unprecedented. All of the other interesting, idiosyncratic stuff aside Dragons' Dogma just feels good to play.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Genuinely had no idea at all Level-5 busted out another multimedia franchise attempt with Megaton Musashi over the last few years.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Upsidads posted:

It's time
Abiotic time
Factor this into your free time

The demo was great and I'd love to do a playthrough with friends but I think I've finally personally hit my limit of tolerance for early access. I just can't do the whole nebulous level of completion, claim "we intend to be in early access for roughly 1 year" routine anymore. The Steam page is very vague about how complete the game is. I've found that despite with all of these types of games and claiming I'll come back after significant updates/1.0 release I pretty much never do. Chucking it in the fingers crossed and check back in a year pile.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

It's one more unnecessary pain in the rear end and point of potential failure for the sake of giving some loving useless suit a slightly larger paycheck that they'll never notice because they're sociopaths who cannot ever be satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The thing to think about thought with early access is a lot of times the mental math isn't as simple as "is it good enough right now at that price point?," but rather sort of a weird and more complex situation of delayed gratification. I know personally I'd much rather have a fully realized game just drop as a 1.0 release instead of intermittent play based on updates. Like I mentioned before, I and a lot of other people tell themselves that lie of "I'll come back to it once in a while" and a lot of times never really do. You can very easily burn yourself out on something incomplete, and then you question what would I have thought of this if it was just done? If I enjoyed an early access game for a solid 30 hours before burning out, could I have maybe gotten double that if I just waited?

It's a personal psychological hurdle to get over but I've found myself unable to not do the what if thing. What if there was a better experience here I spoiled myself on by the drip feed.