Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MGSV was a masterclass in PC optimization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

deep dish peat moss posted:

Also I got stuck playing as the pregen cleric and they were all so bad at the game that literally the only thing I got to do was cast heals every turn

never cast heals in 5e unless a character is about to fail their 3rd death save. enemies do damage faster than you can heal, and the action economy much prefers you doing damage or CC instead to reduce the incoming hits

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

McKracken posted:

Recently finished Kentucky Route 0 and I'm still itching for something narrative focused... would appreciate some recs.

Might be of interest: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/control-narrative

Also: Citizen Sleeper

E: god yes, Pentiment, do that

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Owl Inspector posted:

Despite all the unbelievably good GOTY contenders that have come out this year, pentiment is still my favorite thing I’ve played in the last 9 months.

yeah, same. it’s just such an incredibly-crafted thing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

skeletronics posted:

N-thing Pentiment.

I'm only on the second chapter, but I already love it so much I think it'll be the first game I actually play to completion this year.

It was the only game I finished in 2022, and I chose correctly

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

man it’s so good, I want to play it again but I want to be able to really focus on it and my gaming time is very fragmented these days so I keep putting it off…

ordered the vinyl though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have one I can mention without spoilers. I hate hate hate branching adventure games that don't let you save before a checkpoint. It adds additional stress to playing: "Can I afford to take this interesting plot path, or would I lose all of my progress so far if I did?" I don't want to play the whole drat first act again because I screwed up a choice fifteen conversations ago.

It doesn’t work like that, though—there aren’t any choices that give you an early game over or lock you out of having interesting content in the future. At launch the thread was filled with people’s great experiences and I don’t think any two people made all the same choices.

If you are a completion-craving sort then yeah you have to replay the (great) game taking different paths, but there’s no “lose all my progress” risk. You just end up on another, also interesting path.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sigh, Steam (with no windows open) held a video wake lock all night and kept my OLED from turning off. I guess I’ll get off the beta and see if that helps, but really Steam videos are not so important that they should prevent sleeping, so they should just disable the thing in Chromium that takes wake locks on videos at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I’m saying that the game doesn’t really have consequences that you should avoid. A big part of the experience, speaking here as an inveterate save-summer, is having to live with the consequences of your decisions and seeing how those effects spread through the community.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serephina posted:

Continued fallout from the Unity stuff; BallisticNG, a successful WipeOut clone, just posted this on their steam news page:

Moving forward after the Unity debacle

People often joke about how some PR disaster is gonna cost some company tons of money, but the depressing reality seems to be that there's often no real repercussions. This time tho it's great to see the delicious schadenfreude-laden aftereffects.

mmm

the developers posted:

However, Nintendo has a rolling Unity version requirement for game releases

I wonder if that's going to last

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah both Chrome and Firefox restore multiple windows.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Lone Badger posted:

I just use autocomplete in the address bar.

That’s great unless you have to use Chrome, where per recent testimony they intentionally made history-recall in the “Awesomebox” worse because it was reducing searches and ad impressions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

do you need to play Talos 1 to “get” Talos 2?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's pretty lovely because there's no way to play the old game anymore, it's not even available as an opt-in beta branch or whatever.

I thought there was a command you could run in the Steam console to get any old version installed, hmm. Maybe not.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fruits of the sea posted:

After seeing what boomershooters and Valheim can do with low poly styling, I'd like to see a Thief remake as well.

Been playing Thief 2 lately though and it's still pretty good.

Did the Valheim devs ever do a talk or writeup on how they found their art style and performance combination? I’d love to read it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

roomtwofifteen posted:

What's currently the best way to pipe Steam games to your TV in another room? I've had a Steam Link for years but man it kinda sucks and has always sucked. My PC, TV, and Steam Link are etherneted but it's still a pretty unpleasant experience overall, even when working

Steam Deck and Moonlight/Sunshine?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Going to be awesome watching them chase down, one broken marriage at a time, all the places that the info still leaks out. Whack those moles, Valve.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone else needing to log in again to make a purchase? I was hoping to use the app for a quicker OLED Deck purchase tomorrow, but both the web site and the app prompt me to log in, and I have to wait for the app to pop a confirmation request—even though I’m using the app and it shows me logged in! Has happened a few times in the last couple of days…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a browser extension that shows your Steam library status for Humble bundles and such? Takes forever since I can’t remember what I previously bought.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CHOICE COD posted:

In a roundabout way.

Thanks, super helpful!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack Trades posted:

FFT doesn't even have any cover mechanics.
Or am I mistaken about that? I didn't play much FFT.

I thought it had line-of-sight stuff?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Keychron for sure, I use a K13 for work and it’s also paired to my Deck. Recommend buying their stuff through Amazon because QC issues are not unheard of and their customer service is a bit…frustrating.

(I also use a Q10 and Q0 on my personal machine.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Triarii posted:

Speaking of keyboards, I finally got a mechanical keyboard a few months ago after having the "wrong" kind since forever, and I gotta say, I don't really understand the appeal? It feels different, but not really in a way that's better, and my typing has definitely gotten slower and more error-prone.

Sounds like you need to change switches and/or keycaps!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mechanical keyboards can be as quiet as membrane, if you pick quiet switches. And yeah, the Q10’s split “Alice” layout (with dual bs!) is nice. At some point I’ll get around to seriously learning the Moonlander…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Objective Action posted:

I just wanted you to know you sold me on this, bought it and put it on my ever growing backlog. Someday....someday.

Exactly the same.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lordfrikk posted:

Adding it to my long list of ddpm's bad opinions on things

deep dish fascinates me because I don’t think their opinions are bad—the opinions seem to follow quite reasonably from the things that they say they value and dislike—but they are so consistently and massively different from my own that it amazes me that our paths even cross

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You know how everyone can find some weird corner of the internet that's an echo chamber for the things they like/dislike? Yeah, I can't :argh:

e: It's because I have a hella broken brain :shobon:

I unironically love your posts, friend. They always make me think about why I disagree with you, and my wife says I make funny faces when I read them. :woof:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sounds like the sort of error that Epic could really capitalize on to gain some market share!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Steam recently removed local currency prices in a ton of regions including Argentina and Turkey. You had to re-set regional prices for them in USD, otherwise they'd all use the default US price which is typically a massive price bump since these were all in poor countries. (I'm not sure why they didn't just do some basic currency conversion math to keep the prices the same as before the change?)

it's very stupid the way this locks games out of sales despite it being Steam itself initiating the changes

They changed LATAM and MENA to be USD (except some Gulf states?) but if those were the only changes you made to pricing then you weren’t locked out. If you also changed any other region’s pricing, then all regions were locked out of sales. I expect that this distinction was not extremely clear in the UI, given…Steam.

(This is at least how they described it working in the Steamworks post about the currency changes, and I’m assuming that the implementation matched.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, it’s an elaborate fidget spinner for podcasts and audiobooks and I wish I could get more into it

I’ll try with VR maybe

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can buy from their site and get a Steam key, I believe. I preordered so I got one today (but no preload).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think Harvey Smith could squeeze a great game purely out of middle managers following YouTube tutorials and leftover assets, if he had the freedom.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

why do they make it so annoying to gift someone a game? it's like they don't really want you to do it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

the answer is probably it was easy until key resellers abused it to do region arbitrage and valve locked it down in response

I mean even within the Steam system, not extracting keys. They tell me "these friends want these games" as I browse, but I have to go through the purchase process individually for each one, and it no longer even shows me which friend wants the game I'm buying when I'm selecting a recipient. I would gift a lot more games if it were easier (especially on mobile)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s the backstory there? My Creative Assembly lore knowledge is scant.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ImpAtom posted:

I wish Sandrock worked on the Steam Deck.

It works perfectly on the Steam Deck, I’m like 40 hours into it exclusively playing that way. I have no idea what the “unsupported” rating means.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

haldolium posted:

what does that mean to you?

I ran it on SSD 256GB deck and it continuesly produced loading times for re-used stuff like UI elements, frequently took several seconds to MINUTES to load in character models into cutscenes... sure it ~runs~ at more or less 40FPS if you run around an area but the constant interruptions waiting for poo poo that should be seamless streamed in TYOL 2023 is rather annoying and definitvely one of the worse experiences on Deck I had. Especially for the low complexity this game is at.

Its badly optimized and I get the same problems on a viable hi end PC (lot less frequent or even only there if you look for them/have the comparison, but notbaly they're there)

Their engine progamming is poo poo.

for me it runs at 45fps pretty solidly, and nothing takes more than maybe 5 seconds to pop in (10 for things like the inside of the temple with a lot of characters). I am used to mounting my yakmel outside building while it’s still invisible, I’ll admit

I’m on an LED and my wife is having the same experience on her LCD. do you have the TDP tuned down or something? maybe our aftermarket SSDs are materially faster? this is very weird to hear, I would have counted this thing as Playable other than entering names, or maybe even Verified

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

haldolium posted:

I ran it on SSD 256GB deck and it continuesly produced loading times for re-used stuff like UI elements, frequently took several seconds to MINUTES to load in character models into cutscenes...

I think you are experiencing something unusual, as the response in the Steam Deck thread to my Sandrock inquiry as so far been pretty clear!

TwoDice posted:

I've been playing through most of sandeock and it's totally fine with a 40fps cap.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah I’ve played a whole year in-game on my deck and it’s been fine

King of Solomon posted:

The load when starting the game can be a little long, but it's otherwise been great.

Or maybe your standards are just a lot higher, but I don’t think anyone else is seeing multi-minute model loading times, least of all in cutscenes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mordja posted:

Any suggestions for extremely low-spec, keyboard only roguelites? I'm on a cheap, refurb laptop with just a trackpad I don't want to use. For context, Risk of Rain Returns chugs and slows down while I can get a pretty smooth 60FPS with the original.

Caves of Qud, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the wiki used to be pretty good and supported by the devs