Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Documentary about people who marry their video game consoles, Romancing Sega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I’d love to see “difficulty modes” play more with increasing and decreasing UI elements. Love the Ranger Hardcore mode in Metro except for the bits where they also don’t show the QTE buttons.

Dark Souls except instead of challenging boss fights, every chapter culminates in a series of short essay questions testing to see if the player understands the major themes and narrative elements of the story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I rarely use fast travel in open world games unless I'm at the very end and just pingponging around for the last couple things I need. Otherwise be patient and enjoy the view!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My time is not especially valuable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Harry Potter fandom is probably the largest single failure of the millennial generation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's easy to be wary of any project that's like "made from the ex-devs of Beloved Game" because 1) they've probably been out of practice in the industry for the past 10 years, and 2) their actual role was like associate line producer or whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bloodstained ended up being pretty good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Remedy is working on Alan Wake 2 before Control and that's still supposed to release this year. There's also some separate MP project that's being developed concurrently but I know next to nothing about that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think it's supposed to be a surprise that Launch is the best ability in Control. It's like, The Thing you do the most.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's an early access build on Gamepass, I played the first couple missions. It's nice to look at but it feels just kind of "there" without an interesting hook like Chorvs and some boring characters. Who knows how it will end up though!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They did a good job in Assassin's Creed Syndicate of making London look like the filthy smelly disgusting city I'm sure it probably is. Never been there myself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Division 1 did kind of lean into the idea that the titular Division weren't really the good guys at all, especially considering the endgame gang are just remnants of the first Division before your cell was activated and you make things worse everywhere you go. Anyway who cares shoot shoot shoot!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The best combination of "space shooter while the world plays a 4X game around you" was Drox Operative but I wish someone could make an iteration of that with a budget greater than twenty dollars.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Don't forget Haze.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

haldolium posted:

the style of 1 is unbeaten, but still the engine and level of detail of 2 is amazing. I wish almost any other studio would own the talent that made snowdrop because that beauty is wasted on multiplayer military loot shooters or any ubi game.

Yeah the worst thing about the Division is that these painstakingly detailed replicas of Washington DC and lower Manhattan are wasted on semi-realistic cover shooters instead of literally anything else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Division 2 looks fine. It has lots of brown and greens because... the natural vegetation of Washington DC is green mixed with industrial centers. It's not especially lacking in dramatic lighting and doesn't look particularly washed out like a game from 2011. Not as compelling visually as wintertime New York, but what can ya do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Has anyone played Batora: Lost Haven? I kind of totally forgot it came out in October but it looked interesting as "Diablo with branching narrative choices" seems right up my alley.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked it a lot when I played it back in 2020, and it's gotten quite a few updates since then. Plays very similarly to Salt & Sanctuary or Ender Lillies with some interesting ideas on the whole Soulstroidvania formula. Killer soundtrack. Don't try to make any sense of the story though -- the script is basically 100% machine-translated and you'll absolutely need a guide to get the "best" ending on the first playthrough, if that kind of thing really bothers you. Has some very soulslike obtuse quests and areas that can be easy to miss.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I have never died in a video game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is anyone else playing Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider? It's a retro cyberpunk Ninja Gaiden Shinobi-like that came out a few days ago and it's been pretty cool so far. I've put a couple hours in and it seems like a fairly breezy 3-5 hour game altogether with some nice Genesis-era visuals and just enough of a challenge to not get too frustrating. Not amazing, but really solid.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't understand it when choice-based narrative games don't even show an endscreen breakdown of how many players chose what. How am I going to feel morally superior to everyone if I can't even see how many people were on my side?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I never needed validation for my decision to go ride-or-die with Chloe

That's a given but can you believe there are people who kissed freakin WARREN, I'm not even mad I just wanna talk honest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All of my rarest achievements still come from that surprisingly really good survival mode DLC they patched into Rise of the Tomb Raider.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Serephina posted:

I own that game but never finished it, had a terminal case of cbf about 3/4ths the way through. What's this survival mode and why is it so good?

It's called Endurance Mode and it's a roguelike where you play as Lara on an infinite procedural Siberian wilderness tileset. You have to consistently manage warmth and hunger while trying to hunt for relics and survive as long as possible while not getting impaled on spikes or eaten by bears. Despite not being especially deep there's a lot of variety because of all the random unlockable cards that create different modifiers with both positive and negative effects. It's actually quite challenging to survive for more than even a few days. I found it to be really addictive and they even patched in a co-op version, if you can find someone else to play it with. It's not like absolutely worldshattering or anything, just way better than it has any right to be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The recommended specs are hilarious because it's like they were written by someone who has never played a PC game before if they're benchmarking for 720p and 30fps. That being said I've seen similar outlandish recommended specs for other releases that ended up being nowhere near as stringent. You do take your own life into your hands when you buy a Square-Enix PC port though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't care cause I'm rich + don't buy a million games a year.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Philippe posted:

Same. I've tried using a controller, but it never clicked.

:golfclap:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

victrix posted:

adding to the list of 'Forspoken is clearly going to be GOTY', they didn't send SkillUp a reviewer key :laugh:

They messed up and sent him a code for the prequel, Unspoken

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Really more of a decapath traveler at this point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I did think it was a little overindulgent when Frey said "Wow I'm literally dead no cap" on the killscreen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today, to my shock, I discovered that Dark Devotion, Death's Gambit: Afterlife and Vigil the Longest Night aren't the same game. Despite having very similar art styles, being in the same genre, and having similarly wonky stories.

Has anyone else played them?

I've played Death's Gambit and Vigil: The Longest Night. I'd say nah to DG and yes to Vigil.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ymgve posted:

Is Forspoken a reverse isekai? Because abandoned baby found in the middle of the street sounds a lot like she originally came from magic world as a baby

Really more of an isagirl at this point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Square-Enix and Sony definitely want it to be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I tried the Forspoken demo on PS5 and was unimpressed with the performance, but I'll try it Forspokagain on PC and see if it doesn't blow up my system on load.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Steam's top sellers list is only affected by direct storefront sales, by total revenue over volume. If you're asking how a game can be bought by so many people sight unseen and maybe not even work correctly then well, might I remind you of a little something that rhymes with Hyped Up Junk Fenty Bleventy-Bleven

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It looks like you can fly from some later-game shots but you seem to be more limited in the beginning.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Digital Foundry did a tech breakdown of the PS5 version and commented on the very flat lighting. Probably something that was chopped down everywhere to make the thing run.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well, Forspoken has definitely got some optimization issues on PC. Attempting to run the demo at 1440p Ultra with a Ryzen 5600x + RTX3080 and Quality DLSS can hit about 60fps in the open world, but it's real shaky. I did the first bridge fight and FPS tanked down into the 20s, which very frequent dips all over the place. Whatever's happening appears to be tied to VRAM usage, my poor GPU was constantly tapped out. Even my RAM usage was at about 21GB, never seen that before. Visually it's a whole lot poppier than PS5, but this game does not look anywhere good enough to justify that kind of performance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Anno posted:

I haven’t checked out the release coverage much, but didn’t the demo occasionally run at like sub-1080 on PS5? I don’t think jt was particularly amazing over there either.

PS5 version had very aggressive dynamic scaling and blurry LoD on the performance mode. According to DF it's better on 40fps Quality with a 120hz TV display but I don't have one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I never skip cutscenes because I'm not a barbarian and have manners.