Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I know that materialist subtext has become chic in games lately but was not expecting a full uprising of the proletariat and discussion of class consciousness in loving Tinykin of all things

e: an ant named Max is quoting Das Kapital directly. dreamworks foresaw this

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there is an intimidating number of bars to fill up in Nobody Saves the World

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sekiro, well known for its focus on cinematic storytelling and set pieces

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sekiro’s story is a neat refinement of the Buddhist theming in From’s other games but it’s just a nice-to-have, the real appeal is in the clang

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Heaven forbid you can’t “be part of the general gaming conversation”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Awesome! posted:

i can actually see the brainworms crawling out of this post holy crap

there are arguments for accessibility but this guy’s problem is clearly that he views playing games as ticking a box and he’s getting the shakes because there’s one he can’t tick

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’d say that even if you don’t care about 100% Crash 4 gets miserably difficult. you have infinite lives but making it to the end of these stages feels like getting kicked in the stomach over and over, especially as the game tauntingly penalizes you for death by withholding yet more collectibles

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr E posted:

I just don’t understand the point of adding puzzles at all if you’re going to give the solution 30 seconds into it. It doesn’t make me feel smart to follow instructions directly and the puzzles usually aren’t even difficult enough to need hints in the first place so that adds to the annoyance.

it’s to keep the player in a stupor by always having some low-level task to hold their attention while the characters chatter on. making the puzzle actually difficult might have them stop to think about it, which would ruin that all important “frictionless” experience

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'd say that depends on your expectations going in. the assassin's creed games have repetitive icon-hunting as part of their identity at this point - they're not disrespecting your time, they're giving you what you asked for

something like persona 5's ten thousand repetitions of basic plot points would be closer to my view on it. stop giving me a recap of what i heard five minutes ago and get back to the thieving

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

I bought the boomer shooter humble bundle last month and just want to make sure I can play these in any order. If not, which should come first?

Amid Evil
Dusk
Dread Templar
Forgive me Father
Hedon Bloodrite
Hellbound
Project Warlock

dusk and amid evil are so good they may spoil the others for you but other than that full speed ahead

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Volte posted:

Okay I think I'm finally done with Tunic once and for all. This Garden Knight boss is a complete slog. Most attacks take away 99% of my health and even though I have 5 estus flask charges, that still only just barely refills my health bar one time because each charge barely does anything, not that I often even have a chance to chug one. I do about 1/100th of its health per swing so the most I've ever held out was about one quarter of its health. Occasionally the same attack will hit me twice a quarter of a second, killing me instantly. Plus the isometric camera swinging around is completely mindfucking me.

watching a video of it. what were they thinking with this camera

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Hypnos. I love him because he has a very wide-eyed innocent dopey tone to the things he says, but he is almost certainly just loving with you.

his behavior towards everyone else suggests that he means it as genuine advice. guy's basically functioning with "just woke up at 5 a.m." levels of brainpower 24/7

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Deakul posted:

Having grown up with all things Harry Potter, haters vacate.

you are not among friends

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
can we get stux back in here please

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
rogue legacy 2's extremely granular progression can be a turnoff but i think your memories of the first are warped, it was a prototype for an entire genre and it's unplayable today

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: wrong thread

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

While I do actually really like the post timeskip designs for the most part (:rip: Pre-Timeskip Franky :smith:), the game does come with alternate costumes that put the Strawhats back in their pre-timeskip outfits, which I thought was a nice touch.

does it give chopper his old chunky design

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's called autopilot not auto goodpilot

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think i handled necromunda fine on a gamepad, but it left very little impression overall

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
forspoken’s protag also sounds like a standard quippy YA heroine most of the time but every so often her battle calls will have her spitting an f-bomb like bayonetta, it’s very weird

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

1) lmao

2) reminds me of this
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1563127781604872193

Is "repeat the same line over and over" the hot new thing in AAA gaming?

roiland's logorrhea is a separate flavor of awful from marvel's compulsive wry detachment, but forespoken's not doing a very good job of copying the latter so there's probably some crossover

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
forespoken is a chained and sealed box frantically rattling around and in two days it's going to burst open

it has such sights to show us

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Really more of an isagirl at this point.

isame-mario

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, one review I've read described it as the writing coming off as embarrassed about itself. Too scared to even try to have the story or characters stand on their own merits, it's just constantly undercutting itself for cheap momentary chuckles instead. Naturally, the player is then not too likely to get invested into the story if even the protagonist seemingly can't be arsed to care.

don’t know if it was the same review but austin walker also said as much and he’s far from the first. it’s that compulsive wry distancing that grates more than the material itself

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

It may not be good but "funny dialog as an end to itself" is not a bad thing, it is comedy.

I think the thrust of the argument is that jokes are fine, but jokes that rely on highlighting the artifice of the script are a) seldom ever funny and b) diminish audience investment in the story as a whole

like portal 2 isn’t a good comparison on those merits because it does commit to its setting and characters, even if they’re inherently absurd. high on life would probably be a better example

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
“vermintide with guns” felt like a slam dunk and apparently the shooting itself is great so I hope they salvage it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

Does anyone younger than 30s/40s know what a saturday morning cartoon is?

oh, this made me much sadder

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aphex- posted:

I'm glad other people are excited about it but I never got the hype for a Dead Space remake. When the first one came out I remember the reaction was a fairly large "yeah it's not bad I guess" and then when I played it I was pretty underwhelmed. To me it's a very average third person corridor shooter with really cliche horror mechanics and jump scares. I'm really surprised at the hype the remake has got.

resident evil 4 was the vanguard of behind-the-back action horror but dead space took RE4’s “shooting gallery” style of combat and adapted it into the free-movement type everyone uses today. it’s also one of the biggest examples of space horror in the genre

I also thought it was merely decent at the time but it had the clout to justify a remake, especially after EA broke the original series in their usual way

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

stux and I are the only people who will care about this but i have to post it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLurAhsqXWc

yume nikki esque first person adventure adaptation of a popular surrealist Youtube cartoon

it got almost 200k views in 4 hours so clearly it appeals to someone (me)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
northern journey is a horrid little goblin of a videogame and one of the best I played that year

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m near the end of stage 2 on hard in HFR and pulling all A’s and S’s but I could really use a parry

also realizing how much I missed game stories that are just “here’s an elite cadre of loving weirdos, hit them until cutscenes fall out”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mystes posted:

Hades is fun but all the stupid dialogue you have to click through sucks

:catstare:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
trying to sound authoritative about a character by calling them “doddering” and “senile” when they’re explicitly one of the youngest people in the cast

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Harry Potter as a franchise is so utterly vacuous that “it’s for fans of the franchise!” isn’t as anodyne a statement as it usually is

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i just watched skill up's review and imagine if the CIRCUS OF VAL-YOOO machines from bioshock were instead voiced by a sexy lady who gasped and moaned about "sticking it in [her]" every time you ever bought anything, at all, or even just wandered into its general vicinity

pathologic this is not

and on the gameplay side the open-world connecting segments are nearly impossible to explore because they're crammed full of enemies that immediately summon reinforcements on sight and are constantly being repaired/respawned with almost no recovery interval, unless you find the region's main security terminal and hack it, which allows you to shut off the respawning...for like ten minutes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
turning every enemy and chest into an exploding loot pinata has never added anything to team ninja's action games, and when you have to actually pay attention to loot in postgame challenges it becomes an active detriment, like in stranger of paradise

that said my bigger issue with wo long was the utterly confounding control scheme for dodges/parries

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
we got Nioh and then Nioh 2, which was Nioh but Moreso. I can’t blame the devs for wanting to change up the formula a bit more even if they still won’t back off from the loot vomit

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
souls games have enemy gotchas but they’re usually obvious and spread out enough to catch you only if you’re rushing/stressed. Nioh (maybe because of the denser level design) had ambushes falling out of every eave, it got a little silly

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Nioh is a solid action game (mostly the second one, the demon counter attack makes combat so much smoother) but so much of its later content revolves around remixed stages or that asinine loot system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
AC7 ‘s dlc missions twist the Metal Gear label until it snaps off, they’re great