Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're interested in hidden gems there's a thread for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Do any of the Final Fantasy games hold up if I strongly disliked FFX's characters and story?

The Final Fantasy games are pretty much unrelated to each other except for the title. There are some mechanical similarities, but not as much as you might expect from the fact that they all share a series title. The earlier games in the series basically defined JRPGs as a genre*, so they might be worth checking out to see how it evolved. That said, the NES games (1-3) are pretty old school and may not be that appealing if you like more modern games. The SNES sequence (4-6) is the high point of the series IMO, and I would definitely recommend looking at those. The PSX games (7-9) are more of a mixed bag, and they're also a bigger time commitment, so I'm going to recommend those less strongly.

If you're going to play the older games, the Pixel Remasters are the way to go. They're closer to the original releases than the 3D remakes are but they have some quality of life features that have become standard in the last thirty years.

*The early Dragon Quest games were heavily influential in the NES days as well, but the series never really evolved as much as the Final Fantasy games did so it's become something of a throwback since then.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They also love to reuse Proper Nouns even if they mean a completely different thing in each game.
Like there are 14 different Shivas across the 16 numbered Final Fantasy games

But only one Gilgamesh.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of things this thread was missing:

Put this in the OP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

on the computer posted:

gun to my head? I would die rather than not be a part of the general gaming convversation.

I've never played a Dark Souls game and the only conversations I seem to miss out on seem to reliably devolve into stupid arguments. I think I'm OK with being left out of those.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

whats the best platformer? (on pc) I really liked the Rayman games but I haven't played anything new from the past decade or so

I wrote up Sunblaze, Ageless and Death Fungeon for the hidden gems thread. They're all excellent platformers that no one's ever heard of.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Creaks is a good game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

i mentioned this but it was also brought up in a game makers toolkit video i think. basically publishers are seeing the low achievement rates on content including the campaign-related achievements and they're unhappy about it. so games are getting streamlined in a funnely way to make sure players see as much of the content as possible. any friction must be eliminated

i wouldn't be surprised if the next GOW doesn't even have side content. i think the era of every AAA game being an "open world with tower that reveals 200 chores around you" experience is nearing an end. there will still be a few but. i would expect ragnarok to be a blueprint for how AAA publishers go forward

every media industry seems obsessed with analyticing their respective fields to death

Being smart with analytics requires you to hire people who actually know how to use them. It's much cheaper to make number go up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

kazil posted:

100% did not see #1 coming at all

Don't gently caress with Disney.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Any particularly strong opinions on Vigil: The Longest Night?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There are no games that everyone will love or even like.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- Love a game
- "I want more in this niche genre!"
- Look it up on steam
- Congrats, you basically started with the literal best ones on steam. Everything else is not as good.

This happen to anyone else? It's Mech games for me. I played Into the Breach, battletech and MW5 and was like "Boy, I sure hope there are other great mech games on this platform!" :sigh:

Recommender systems are basically built to do that and it's really hard to design one that doesn't (not that Valve is trying, or could try).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Game developers can use those achievements to see how many players are reaching certain milestones.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

They're meant to make you laugh when you complete the earliest, most basic milestone in a game and find out you're one of only 30% of players.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That one's the obvious right answer but I still had to think for a minute.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Interesting thread from the Scarlet Hollow/Slay the Princess dev on how they approached marketing the latter game.

https://twitter.com/blacktabbygames/status/1617528958710616074

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What I want (and I think what everyone would benefit from) are black characters written by black people, including on black culture(s), not black characters written by white people.

Do you know of any games that have this?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Trick Question posted:

I just remembered that there's one game with good cutscenes and it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQeAxxKcqmQ

so if you're playing God Hand, don't skip the cutscenes. Otherwise skip away! An easy mnemonic device: "If it's not God Hand, hit the skip button, Stan."

Don't act like you don't like the ballbuster.

Ballbuster!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

I like that racing game that had a "Trans Pride Billboards" toggle in the option but it just changes the billboards from sometimes having a trans pride flag to every single one having one.

Buck Up And Drive!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

One of the better RPGMaker-style horror games. I think it's worth the current price.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you're looking for an action RPG Asterigos: Curse of the Stars is worth checking out. It's not a AAA game but it definitely deserves more attention than it got.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Give me a game with extremely detailed absurdly granularized random gun stats except don't let me reload guns so that I am always just using whatever I find and it behaves unpredictably every time. Give me a John Wick looter shooter.

e: All the guns you loot go in a queue and display in a "next up" bar on the side like in Tetris.

OMFG: One Million Fatal Guns is something like that. It's a student project so manage your expectations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Much needed change

From the beta client

And it will never stop reminding you how to change it back.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

#winning

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's this game? I actually looked up the achievement and didn't find it

Jubilee. Strong recommendation for fans of moderately difficult platformers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you like JRPGs at all $1 for Cosmic Star Heroine is a fantastic deal.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

SoR Blaze posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for simple ARPGs? I've been craving one of those PS2 era games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance or Champions: Return to Arms. Mostly I'm not looking to get showered in tons of lot with tiny granular %-based upgrades, so stuff like Grim Dawn and PoE and the like are right out. Here's more what I'm looking for:

Marvel Heroes Omega (rip to a real one, so bummed I can't play this anymore)
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Baldur's Gate:DA 1 and 2, Champions of Norrath and the sequel
X men Legends
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (the 3rd one was such a disappointment to me)
Undead Horde (this one is maybe just a bit too brainless but it's been scratching an itch, I'd love for the studio to make a slightly more polished sequel)
Nobody Saves the World (this one really engrossed me, I loved the loop of fulfilling challenges to unlock abilities in other classes. I think I 100%d this one)

Mostly I'm looking for something that doesn't require a ton of thought in a build, some loot but not too much (I don't want to fiddle with loot filters, games in this genre should just give you less, but more significant loot IMHO), and maybe use like 3-4 core abilities that are pretty distinct from each other. A big plus would also be builds that aren't too complex (like M:UA, pick like 3-4 skills and max them out)

Both of the Dark Alliance games are available on Steam.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

itch.io is running a bundle of magic-themed games from LGBTQ+ creators. $60 for 69 games.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

any thoughts on how Asterigos turned out? I remember seeing it last year but never heard about it after it came out. I'm extremely sus of anything that calls itself a soulslike these days as most of the ones I tried landed somewhere between mediocre and terrible (lords of the fallen, the surge, mortal shell etc) but a few comments said this doesn't really play like one so I'm giving it another look.

It's one of my all-time favorites but it's absolutely not for everyone. The Souls influence is pretty clear but it's a lot easier than most of the other games in that genre and that puts it in kind of a weird middle ground between games that have a simple combat system and those that require a high degree of technique and precision. It's also a big game with a lot of words, and it's easy to miss things that are buried deep in a conversational menu. The worldbuilding is great, though, and the major characters are very well-developed.

e: Also, if you want to get the best ending, be prepared to either play through a few times or use a guide. Some of the requirements are pretty drat obtuse.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 21, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

What are some fun stylish slowmo action games (newer than Max Payne)? I played through My Friend Pedro I had from some old bundle and had a blast. I liked that I could just do stuff that looks cool while being terrible at the game.

Mr. Fast

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Why do they do major sales in late November and late December?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That's a pretty solid bundle all around.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

#winning

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Figment is 100% off for the next week to celebrate the release of the sequel. It's worth checking out at that price.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Demon Turf is a well-made game that's very much not for everybody.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Enchanted Cave 2 and Gurumin are good games.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Zathril posted:

This one?

The person who made that tweet thread is a goon and replied in that forums thread:

Lekon posted:

Oh hi that's me!

Glad you saw the thread, and yeah the game is wild beyond words. So much weirdness and so many weapons/armor/things need the use of the microphone. The loot is all over the place from an axe that only swings when you scream, an AK that you swing like a sword but fires when you make noise, a set of pants that the worse your graphics card is, the more bonuses you get, or possibly my favorite:

A set of earphones that give you huge bonus stats if your music's turned up to full, and changes the music track to the developer doing Karaoke.

Not one of those items is a joke.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Randallteal posted:

Nah, Amtrak exists, but it's only really worth using on the coasts to get between big cities.

Amtrak is the way to go between New York and DC. I took the train from NYC to Boston once, and while I'm glad I did it once, I would never do it again.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Wanna? I can see if it'll fit. I'm in favour of changing thread titles often.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The smallest game on Steam that anyone's found is Penny Black, whose install size is under 200kb.