Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It looks like there's an expansion coming out for Mechwarrior 5 at the end of the month - I'm guessing it'd be a good idea to wait til after that to mod/play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I grabbed https://store.steampowered.com/app/652410/Brigand_Oaxaca/ and it's kind of like Deus Ex but incredibly janky. Haven't had any crashes and you die to a stiff breeze but starting with pistol skills the game is pretty fun so far. I've at least found 4 bucks of enjoyment from it so far.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really loved DS1 and considered it my favorite game ever for a while but also every time I replay it I end up stopping earlier and earlier cause I hate everything after O&S except the DLC and final boss so much. DS2 has weak areas but also has so much content I find myself doing the majority of it every playthrough, and it's the only Dark Souls game that has punching weapons that don't suck rear end in the second half of the game so it's my favorite. I like Elden Ring more due to the world though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

How is the Dwarf Fortress UI now that the game has graphics?
Is it exactly the same level of terrible, unintuitive garbage it has always been or has it been improved?

If the UI/graphics were the only thing stopping you I think they're improved a ton. That was really the only thing stopping me from putting time into the game and now I have 60+ hours. There's still some missing sprites that use placeholder stuff and a few features from the old version aren't in due to how the controls were changed.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Is Crash Bandicoot 4 good? What's its main hook? I've never played any of the Crash Bandicoot games but I'm a fan of platformers like Mario and Rayman, which seem to look similar.

I bought it but haven't played it, it seems like as long as you don't try and 100% every level it's a great game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

in fairness the "100% sucks" thing is a legitimate problem because a lot of people really did enjoy 100%-ing the classic Crash games and there's the question of what you do once you've beaten the campaign once

I agree which is why I'll likely try and 100% it anyway because I have no value placed on my own time or sanity.

The best platformer is Celeste but Sonic Mania and the last two Rayman games were really great.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just don’t understand the point of adding puzzles at all if you’re going to give the solution 30 seconds into it. It doesn’t make me feel smart to follow instructions directly and the puzzles usually aren’t even difficult enough to need hints in the first place so that adds to the annoyance.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It sucks cause I enjoyed 2018 GOW pretty well but it seems like they've gone even further with the "hints" in Ragnarok. They did the same thing from what I've seen with the second Horizon game too, and the first game already had Aloy talking to herself way too much tho I enjoyed the story and gameplay more than GOW.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

These games being designed for people that either can't or don't want to critically think ever at all does make it very easy to continue to never want to buy a PS5, if I want to play Demon's Souls at this point I think I'd just lean emulating it.

I tried this week getting back into Nioh 2 but I was in the middle of the first DLC and was super rusty so I decided to just start over again. Went with dual swords and spear for now since I haven't used either before and they both feel great. Excited for their new game too, it's nice to have a company making Souls like games that are actually fun to me, since I bounced of both Surge games and Code Vein pretty hard. The different weapon trees, magic/ninja trees, and Ninja Gaiden type combat at certain points helps it feel like something new instead of just copying DkS. The amount of loot that drops gets a little crazy but it's easy to sell or break down weapons and you can turn on a loot filter as you get better stuff so it's not terrible.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I liked Doom Eternal fine and didn't really have any issues with difficulty on it (ended up getting all the challenges and such I think done) but I just didn't like it as much as 2016. I understand wanting to further the formula and not wanting Eternal to feel like a map pack for 2016 but even as a character action game fan I didn't find the amount of abilities/grenades and such that engaging. I had fun but haven't really felt like replaying the game either, I dunno if I can even describe exactly why I feel that way. It felt like if I wasn't using the "counter" to most of the enemies they were much more damage spongey and that's fine to a point but I don't really appreciate that method of trying to get players to use weapons that aren't the siege gun or whatever it seemed a ton of people solely used once they got it in 2016. It's not at all to that level but it just reminds me a little of the DmC color coded enemies.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I love Double Fine's ideas and mostly enjoy brutal legend, costume quest, and stacking, but besides the Psychonauts games I haven't really felt the desire to replay any of them and things like brutal legend have entire sections of gameplay that I can't stand. Really didn't like Broken Age and didn't make it thru part one of that. Still glad they're able to keep making games and made Psychonauts 2 tho.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

There’s one specific set of puzzles that even knowing how you’re supposed to figure them out I don’t think I ever would have on my own but taking notes let me solve 95% of La-Mulana by me self eventually and it felt pretty great. Even cooler that since I have the memory of a goldfish I can replay it sometime and get most of the experience again because I remember none of the solutions except the one set I looked up.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I didn't realize people modded BFME2 at all, I'll have to check that out since I had downloaded the game to replay anyway.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Wolf 09 somehow corrupted every single save I made right near the end, so I couldn't fight the last boss.

That’s fine because the last boss is pretty awful IIRC.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Destiny 2 has some of the best gunfeel outside of some of the more recent boomer shooters and Dooms but also you have to play Destiny 2 which is a big downside to me.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm looking at Sifu... if I very much enjoy DMC and Sleeping Dogs but deeply dislike parry/counter-heavy combat like Sekiro and Wo Long, is this a good decision? Footage of the gameplay looks rad, but reviews talking about counters and frustratingly tight combo timing have me worried.

Sifu is really good and also almost entirely about either parrying or dodging using the parry timing so I would say it's a bad decision.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sifu is great. Got my first complete run yesterday and am really loving it. There's so many interactions with the environment and weapons, they really thought of everything you'd want in a martial arts movie game with some light to heavy supernatural stuff.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is freelancer even available anymore to buy? Sucks if it isn’t. I hate that freespace 2 and it didn’t spawn enough sequels or inspired by games that I got tired of the genre, but at least you can still buy freespace 2 on gog I guess.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finished my okami however many x replay and started on Shadow Man Remastered since I grabbed it during Christmas. Game rules so far in aesthetic and themes, but it does kind of suck not to have level maps. Seems like they at least patched in a collectible counter for each level with the latest patch, though. Didn’t expect it to be pretty much a Metroidvania, I always saw the N64 version at stores and for rental when I was younger and had no idea what type of game it was.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

I had always assumed shadow man would be like Turok. The magazine ads for it always looked p cool

Yeah I've only seen what's on the Steam page & maybe a magazine screenshot before so I honestly just bought it based on that I had heard of it and that it was good enough to be remastered and get overwhelmingly positive reviews. It's very unique and really cool to have a late 90s/early 2000s game with pretty good voice acting and a Black main character and supporting characters; it even has Voodoo things that aren't just racist stereotypes and seem to have at least some research done.

Can definitely tell that it was made by a UK studio because they call one of the American serial killer spirits you have to hunt a "Video Nasty Killer".

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

pentyne posted:

Does Shadow Man have fast travel? I don't know if the Remaster fixed it but the amount of backtracking you had to do in that game was insane.

Yeah you can travel between areas with the teddy bear item and they've cleared up a bunch of the hints and stuff so you can get 100% without using a guide reasonably. They also added the content that wasn't quite finished including a new area and enemies that everyone seems to enjoy. I'm still expecting quite a bit of backtracking based on the amount of items, though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

That vid does look pretty lifelike when he was first walking around but it was more noticeable that it was a game when he ran or turned quickly. Looks neat but also I do not want to play as a cop if it ever actually comes out.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like Hollow Knight a lot and it's one of my favorite games but I also really hate things like having to use a badge to see where you are on the map. It doesn't add anything at all to the game for me and I do not have great spatial awareness so I was essentially down a badge slot the whole game. I still beat everything including the DLC just fine and it wasn't the biggest issue but I don't think it was a good design decision. Finding a dude to fill in the map was fine because he was pretty noisy and left stuff lying around where he was.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Did RE4 remake have major issues? I didn't have any issues at all in my like 45 hours in it but also didn't for Dead Space and know that had issues.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I’m just glad lord of the rings online is somehow still around because I really enjoy getting blazed and exploring that world.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mordja posted:

So like is "wizard" a class? Considering there are only supposed to be, like, five?

No, you have some casters that use runes and such but no full on wizards.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been enjoying Shadow Man now that I'm back to it after Live a Live but have no hope for a sequel/reboot or whatever because that game company makes NFT games.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Marketing was poo poo for Prey and they also forced them to use the name in the first place. It didn't sell as well as a sequel to a successful game but I really just don't think expectations for single player games are ever where they should be. You have games like RE4/Dead Space remake that sell incredibly well but back when the first reboot Tomb Raider came out it was being compared to COD for sales and so was always going to be a "disappointment". Arkane was one of those studios like Remedy where I have loved 99% of what they made and now I don't think that Arkane will release a game worth playing again. It just sucks to see older studios like these die.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I said come in! posted:

We Love Katamari is out now on Steam.

Didn't have any issues at all with the port once I got the graphics settings set up, still the amazing game it's always been but now in HD. Will be putting many many hours into this.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

A good poster posted:

Do you have to do the tutorial in Windowed mode before you can change the graphics options like you had to in the first Reroll?

I think it’s available from the create a file menu but if not you can change options before entering the tutorial. You start in the overworld first.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have to say that I never would have expected a Shadows of the Damned remaster. Not really a game I'd want to replay tbh.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I enjoyed the Fortune's Run demo pretty well, crazy movement and weird melee is something I'm 100% for.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Fatty posted:

A Hat In Time is %50 off and so much better its not even funny.

Yeah it's not quite the same as the B/K games but I would also recommend Hat in Time over Y-L. The sequel for Y-L is pretty good but not a collectathon. I kickstarter'd Y-L cause I'm a giant fan of B-K and B-T and was very disappointed. Even as someone that replays DK64 every few years and enjoys it I felt the levels were too big and it wasn't fun to move around the levels at all. Also, the last boss just really sucks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

I never went back to any of them except B-K (And Conker's Bad Fur Day - but that's just Rare's best work)
B-T missed the mark in no way I can nail down, and I never even played Nuts and Bolts. I tried Y-L briefly and it was middling at best.

I think most people felt that way about B-T but I just love collecting things so much that I didn't mind the very real issues with it. Nuts & Bolts I think was a pretty good game I put way too much time into and a pretty awful B/K game, and now that Tears of the Kingdom is out I want to play it a whole lot less than I used to. I just want them to make collectathons in general again that are like Spyro or the first B-K, it's cool that things like A Hat in Time have been successful.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Sifu has a modest discount and it's really fun. I kinda forgot about it when it was epic exclusive but it's the best modern martial arts game I've played.

Definitely pick this up if you like parry based combat sort of like Batman at all. It's fantastic and feels like you're playing a martial arts movie perfectly.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

wtf how did no one tell me, the Moon Remix RPG Adventure lover, about 24 Killers

i may have to get it...

I bought it because it looked like Moon and I haven't played much but it seems pretty great.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anno posted:

Illwinter announced Dominions 6 for the end of this year. Anyone else ready to bounce off of Dominions again?

I wasn't able to get into 4 or 5 but I'm sure I will still buy this one at some point because I think the concept is so cool.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think it'd be cool if instead of releasing a multiplayer game every year that flops, Capcom would release Resident Evil Outbreak 1/2 in a pack or Lost Planet 2 again. They know how to make fun multiplayer games based on some of their older stuff and Mon Hun/Street Fighter, they just also seem to want the live service money while not actually making a game that's fun or worth playing for more than a few hours in the first place.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I didn't have any issues at all with Dead Space's performance but I still think if you can play it on console that might be your best option just based on the variance people had with performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mordja posted:

Nobody in this thread actually likes videogames.

Many goons have anhedonia and only receive happiness from telling others how much they dislike playing video games.