Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

In Celebration of Violence on the 31st followed by Astral Ascent today, which I think tells a nice story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's no way I'd recommend Sekiro to someone who's on the edge of enjoying souls games, it's balls hard and I say that as a Sekiro lover.

Elden Ring was probably my goty for 22 or in the top few, it's an absolutely gorgeous sprawling world filled with poo poo to discover, murder, and get murdered by.

You don't need to dig into the Deep Lore to enjoy it, and you don't have to tackle optional difficult content or bosses, and you can just gently caress off to the hills and do something else if you get stuck.

Jaunting around on the world on a fukken magical jumping horse owns bones, and if you enjoy exploration and discovery it's a slam pick.

Relax about dying (you never lose anything meaningful, and you keep everything you pick up and every shortcut you open), enjoy the sights, try finger but hole

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

kazil posted:

Honestly, if you strongly disliked the characters and story from one Final Fantasy you'll probably dislike all Final Fantasies

thinking on it I'd probably only recommend 4, 7r/crisis remake, and maybe 9 or 12 depending on the reader's tastes

16 is probably a safe bet too

and maybe tactics if you prefer srpgs, but tactics isn't... it's not really anything like the mainline games

1-3 are just ancient at this point, 5 is a ton of fun from a mechanical standpoint but the rest is whatever, I have a fondness for 6 but I think its settings and ideas don't hold up to its presentation these days, 8 is goofy as gently caress, X is goofy as gently caress, 11 lol, 13 lol, 14 is an mmo (though increasingly its edging towards 'you can play the whole story solo if you want'), 15... I actually like 15 a lot, but I completely get why a ton of people don't

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

so I posted about Archvale a few days ago and was like "I hope they're still making something cuz I loved Archvale"

https://twitter.com/_idoz/status/1610345437315072001?t=4TCaxrEx22axSviB8GF7rg&s=1

:neckbeard:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Any recommendations for good turn based tactics/wargames/empire builders? Not looking for stuff like Civ, Fire Emblem, HoMM clones, or full srpgs like FFT, more like pure combat games that might feature empire building as a means of churning out more cool units (Warlock 2 comes to mind). Definitely more interested in fantasy/scifi stuff with cool abilities/meta systems/etc. Or even weirdly orthogonal games like Alina of the Arena which is a hex combat deckbuilder.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you played Othercide? I wrote it up in the hidden gems thread.

I have yeah, looking for some stuff off the beaten path I might not know about before the sale ends

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

“Fus-Ro-Da!” That was epic…would love to see something that awesome from Starfield…

I suspect Starfield is Too Big To Fail, but I do wonder how well it's going to land given it doesn't have decades of history behind it like Elder Scrolls or Fallout

New IP launches are always tricky, and I straight up do not trust Bethesda to deliver a clean experience (plus I think their stewardship of Fallout has absolutely sucked rear end, I like 1, 2, and NV, none of the Beth ones)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There Is No Light: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1132980/There_Is_No_Light_Enhanced_Edition/

Just got its big post release patch. If you're in the mood for SOULSLIKE 2D INDIE PIXEL ART DARK FANTASY check it out.

(the setting is pretty cool and weird)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

sundered stan checking in, I'm a complete sucker for games that take that mythos and do something interesting with it

plus it has awesome art and GONG

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sway Grunt posted:

I really should play Rain World. It's been in my backlog for a long time and it seems to perfectly embody everything I love about games, yet somehow I keep... not playing it.

Rain World is a genuinely incredible game with some really, really cool stuff in it, and a really cool setting with an interesting story

But it is actively hateful and does not care about you getting through it, so if you want to experience it, you have to commit, it's not going to hold your hand (it will bite it and eat you though)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

goferchan posted:

The people who love Rain World love it so much that it's definitely convinced me to give it another shot soon, as it didn't stick with me the first time.

it's a great game, but it's not a great for everyone game

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

secretly best girl posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was that you were gunning for CEOs, of banks! Or the people in the lone trailer were. I do not believe that game got far after that initial announcement.

the amount of free press they'd get for the outrage would be worth millions if they'd actually commit to any of the subversive ideas their games flirt with at a 12 year old level

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

pentyne posted:

Didn't The Division 2 have a nearly identical problem as well, trying to make the enemies 'roving BLM antifa gangs'

Division's story is really cool on the surface and increasingly unhinged to a hilarious degree when you look closer

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

very Tom Clancy now that I think about it

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

zoux posted:

They should make a game that highlights those aspects.

they made two!

and did nothing with it

the sequel was offensively milquetoast, because the first game you could almost mentally get on board with your gang of government sleeper agents murdering everyone to hold a crumbling society together

but the sequel happens after it's very clear that there is no new normal, and they could have easily built a story looking at what it would mean to have that power against a range of ideologies-as-gangs in the world

they did absolutely none of that, and the dlc to 2 was more storyline navel gazing

I probably wouldn't give a poo poo at all, but as a game, division had a lot of really fun elements, an amazing engine, beautiful graphics, and an absolutely killer OST

the writing? not so much

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Something full 3D with action and open world elements (or really just any kind of tangible exploration, doesn't have to be a full blown Ubisoft iconfest), but without relying on the same repeated sandbox formula where you toil away space trucking between generic space stations so you can afford to make numbers go up a tiny bit and exploration takes the form of "sometimes you see a pretty skybox". Like I want to zip my little ship inbetween the wreckage of some huge gently caress-off dreadnought to retrieve some cool bespoke weapon, then when pirates inevitably ambush me I can use the terrain to my advantage. It's probably going to sound dumb as hell, but basically the same kind of well-rounded experience as something like the Arkham games or Tomb Raider or something but you just happen to be in a spaceship. Explore/sneak/fight, find collectibles or upgrades, mild RPG elements instead of insanely meticulous and granular ship customization.

Or to say it in a different, snarky way the absolute complete opposite of Elite Dangerous.

That's pretty much exactly Everspace 2

But you may well just be bored of the genre :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

I really liked frostpunk and while I'm waiting for the sequel I would like to play another survival rts. I've narrowed it down to Ixion, They Are Billions, or Against the Storm. Which of these three is the best?

Almost certainly Ixion if you want something close to frostpunk. It's a dark scifi story with colony building/management similar to Frostpunk's manager level decisions - but this time you're guiding the last of humanity on a mostly hard scifi-ish journey through the galaxy.

Against the Storm is all the fun parts of an early city builder, repeatedly - you build a colony, complete the goals, done, go do it again (unlocking new tech along the way). Eventually everything is wiped by the storm and you start anew, and every run is a little different due to randomization of tech, resources, and challenges (with 20 levels of difficulty if you're into that kinda climb). Superb game if you jam to that.

They Are Billions (or Age of Darkness if you want fantasy flavored) are RTS horde survival games (or The Last Spell if you want TBS horde survival also fantasy flavored :v:). All combat focused, all 'the world is doomed, save what is left' settings.

You picked a set of winners, so I'd just go with whatever suits your fancy the most at the moment.

victrix fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 12, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

im just gonna say it. It's 2D, but have you played The Ur-Quan Masters(Star Control II)? The free HD version holds up insanely well by today's standards, and involves a good story, fun gameplay, and spess gaem fun

I still think the closest we ever got to SC2 was Mass Effect in the AAA space, and maaaaaybe Space Rangers in the jank space.

Kinda astounding no one managed to replicate what made it so great to any significant degree though.

They are working on a sequel, but I'm skeptical they can recapture the magic.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

oh I get the spirit of what they're asking for, it's just that they're still at the bargaining stage of grief :v:

space games and 4x games are two genres that took me a long, long time to realize that what I was looking for didn't (and maybe couldn't) exist. arpgs are getting close.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

mycot posted:

I understand why space games would have an ephemeral je ne sais quoi that's impossible to capture (and ARPGs too because that genre is entirely about chasing a high), but why 4Xs?

they're paralyzed by a fan base that screeches and howls about AI cheating (and a fair number of devs)

AI cannot play the same game as a competent player, much less a skilled one in a genre with an ever expanding web of decisions that compound over a lengthy playtime (hell most of them can't even manage the low tier tactical combat)

Consequently the genre is amazing when you're bad and gets progressively worse the more you learn

All my favorites in that genre are asymmetric (the computer isn't playing the same game as the player, it's just there to provide a fun challenge - ironically the aptly titled AI War is a great example of this)

... I say "all my favorites" but really there's barely any, since the vast majority hew incredibly closely to the incredibly boring snowball of victory culminating in micro hell endgame that no one actually finishes

I'm hoping Against The Storm kicks the tires a bit, since some of that fanbase is shared with 4x players, and many of its core design decisions focus the gameplay around the fun early game loop of plate juggling, ending each game before the malaise sets in

I can't really think of the last "pure" 4x that tried the asymmetric thing whole hog. Maybe Sorcerer King?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Horizon's Gate is a pretty cool indie that's a riff on Uncharted Waters with a mix of ships and tactical combat

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1224290/Horizons_Gate/

(the devs other games are pretty cool tactics games also)

super indie lowfi though if that's not your thing

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I can't think of too many "big vehicle life sims" but they've got to exist - boats trains and planes oh my

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think it's worth playing just to see a really cool recreation of Washington DC, much like NY in the first game

Plus the music rules and the graphics are amazing if you have a good rig

You can see all the things and move on without any significant need to grind

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

pentyne posted:

I keep wanting to get into it but every time I check back in it sounds like the worst sort of f2p p2w grind imaginable.

Between the botting being so rampant its overwhelming the in game economy, and the fact the extra stuff you can purchase is locked to a single character it seems like being a fun arpg is a unintended sidequest of trying to bait whales into playing.

I dare you to find people who play the game having a conversation about anything except "power level 53653 almost to 64754!"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Azran posted:

Yeah, just ask anyone who discovered deckbuilders with StS lol

Monster Train and Vault of the Void are both solid

Alina of the Arena, Card Quest, Across the Obelisk and Yi Xian are interesting spins (tactical RPG, fixed deck from gear, multiplayer coop and auto battler respectively).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Recommender systems are basically built to do that and it's really hard to design one that doesn't (not that Valve is trying, or could try).

enhanced steam or whatever the gently caress it's called has an alternate "games like this" that pulls from another site, and it's found me some pretty good indies I never would have seen otherwise

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Roguebook?

Arcanium is in that vein

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

play mgs1/2/3/4/5 because they're cool and fun

you don't need to play MG nes games or any of the portable crap to enjoy the whole shebang

there is a decent amount of story that leads right from peacewalker into mgs5, but you can look up a summary of that, if you were going to play them all in a row, going from mgs 3/4 to PW instead of 5 would suck rear end

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

kazil posted:

Metal Gear Rising is also very fun

my shame is eternal

yeah play this after 4 if you dig on character action games

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

I asked a friend to look up the specific thing I'm stuck on so he can tell me what to do when or if I finally give in (without accidentally learning anything else). I'm not usually this stubborn, but when part of the appeal is solving it for yourself, you've talked to other people who did it on their own, and you've already made significant headway, the sunk cost starts to hang real heavy around your neck.

this was ultimately why I didn't get lm2 - the first game was brilliant, but it was also impossible, and I was getting Spelunky 2 vibes from the sequel

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mordja posted:

Forspoken's already 20% off at GMG (and maybe other sights) which doesn't suggest Square has a lot of confidence in it.

I wouldn't read too much into that, gmg is a weird place that almost always has discounts even on brand new AAA stuff

but no I don't think Forspoken is going to light the world on fire :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

zoux posted:

Controlling for inflation, video games are literally half as expensive now.

thankfully wages and wealth have kept up with inflation nicely

(this is all a non argument anyway with steam in the picture, thanks benevolent storefront dictators)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Who wants to play an adorable Roomba in puzzle Mario Galaxy?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1550270/Togges/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZQakG85ws

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

repiv posted:

they said the PC version will have the dualsense features, just with the usual caveat of them only working over a wired connection

with sony ramping up their PC support you would hope they would eventually release a proper driver that supports all the features over wireless...

I still have yet to find an explanation why this is the case

which sucks rear end because the ds haptics are incredible

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ymgve posted:

Am I the only one that hates haptic triggers? Don’t mess with the force I need to push a button, keep it consistent!

that's an implementation issue, not a device one

the triggers are awesome in the games that use them well, annoying as poo poo when they're used for like, pulling the trigger in call of duty or whatever

the haptic vibrations are the loving bomb, you can walk across a surface and feel it, feel raindrops, feel subtle shifts or vibrations

in the games that merge it well, it seamlessly fits in with the audio and music and gameplay

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

what

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Age of Wonders 4 confirmed for May 2nd

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqwySBvqbgc

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

adding to the list of 'Forspoken is clearly going to be GOTY', they didn't send SkillUp a reviewer key :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

removing access to games is never good

gently caress you epic