Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

explosivo posted:

Thanks for talking about MW5 in the last thread, I bought it all and have been loving the career mode with the one DLC. Also did some co-op with a friend on gamepass and the cross play stuff works flawlessly. I assume I won't be able to invite non dlc havers to a career campaign?

Nope, you can, they only need base game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux posted:

there is no fight in any souls game where you are expected to use summons

Radahn maybe but that's pretty much it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ragequit posted:

I love GMO. Gettin' Mad Online.

Perfect username

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

explosivo posted:

When's that roguelike mode coming out? Is that coinciding with the consolidation on the 26th?

Yeah, Freelancer is out at the end of the month

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

so i'm confused, in 2057 when i finally get around to playing mechwarrior 5, should i just completely ignore the campaign button entirely because the career mode has all the campaign stuff in it, or should i at least run through the campaign once because it'll give me a representation to the game flow as opposed to career mode's sandbox

It doesn't matter

Campaign mode if you want a guided experience, Career if you don't. I'm doing a single player campaign and a co-op career for what it's worth. You can even import saves to career mode!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Souls 2 was the best souls game until its sequel, Elden Ring

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

At this point by the time a game actually hits a discount I'd consider buying it it turned out I didn't really care about it that much anyway

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

i'm not saying sekiro would lose something if it were easier i'm saying you're mad at devil may cry because it doesn't play like zelda because they both have swords

Yeah, I didn't play it because it wasn't a Souls game and the kind of game it actually was wasn't appealing to me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kazil posted:

Dunno, it has a poison swamp

I wonder how many youtube videos are looking at that one level in AC1 and then pointing at Blighttown

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zoux posted:

I enjoyed GoW quite a bit but yeah, they are designing these games with the stupidest people on the planet in mind

https://twitter.com/LumpyTheCook/status/1406686258198417421?t=d4lj74YETE1toZT1cNC_xg&s=19

Lmao

My favorite instance of this will always be Valve's testers and the one guy who got trapped and frustrated in the original Antlion maze in HL2: Episode 2 because it just never occurred to the guy to turn right, even a single time.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 6, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao I didn't realize this was the same guy

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bad Seafood posted:

Dishonored had a playtester get stuck on the costume party level because a guard told him (Corvo, the assassin) he wasn't allowed to go upstairs.

Lmao

DerekSmartymans posted:

Holy poo poo, is that a great trailer or what? My son was 11 when the trailer dropped, and he’d just finished Daggerfall, Morrowind, and was in the end of Oblivion (with much hatred for his Annoying Fan!) played every weekend at my home. We tuned up YouTube and downloaded the thing so we could watch it without hurting our then-satellite internet and he got so excited I think he almost choked up.

“Fus-Ro-Da!” That was epic…would love to see something that awesome from Starfield…

It's always bugged me that in the trailer it's "Fus-Ro-Dah" and in the game it's "Fus-Rodah!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

loving up the main quest then having a backup way to win anyway owns

It kind of owns more that it's bugged and perma-fucks you if you do it too, instead of temporarily hurting you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao why would you ever admit to this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wizard people, dear posters

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The series peaked at Witcher 1

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OgNar posted:

Looks like a new Freelancer is coming our way.
With single player, pvp and co-op.

Demo here https://pastaspace.itch.io/underspace
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1111930/Underspace/

Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgPnmJQeDyU

IIRC this is the one that has explicit support for Freelancer's models and sector map file types

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

Been waiting for the full release but it looks to be coming along well. ES1 is one of the few SP roguelikes I actually like, although there was no way I was going to beat i a bunch of times for the full ending.

Yeah I was pretty much one win and done with it, but the huge freighter with drone support was pretty fun to mess with. I never did play that dlc I bought lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HopperUK posted:

Can you expand a bit on what this means? I never played Uncharted Waters but I'm kind of intrigued.

Also please let's not do necromancy in the thread, we don't need the dead rising to start going on about their videogames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZVKU5imx0

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

as i've often stated here, i loved the "mechanics" of nioh 1, i just loathed the loot vomit aspect, which may or may not count as a "mechanic"

Killed the whole game for me, just couldn't stand how the gear was done in that game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jack Trades posted:

what's a videogame

A miserable little pile of software

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

16 hours...what's the shortest "open world" game you've seen guys? I guess technically No More Heroes at 13.5 and Brutal Legend at 12 were my shortest OW games.

I dont really understand this paragraph, should there have been characters yelling slurs at her? Maybe people just wanna be a black lady and run around in a game i dunno. Like I know a lot of people who like Dragon age because you can be gay in it, and AFAIK there's literally no fucks given by any NPC except for like, one in the entire franchise...I don't think the story would be better if you randomly got beer bottles thrown at you from moving cars like I have

Breath of the Wild unless you're bad

e: Actually it's Two Worlds if you get some peasants to go mob the final boss for you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PantsBandit posted:

I haven't played Two Worlds and I'm sure it isn't actually as cool as it sounds, but the concept of rallying an angry mob at the beginning of the game to go after the final boss with pitchforks is extremely awesome to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeR-bT3uv0

It's not cool, but it is very funny

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Agent355 posted:

That seems fine to you? It's awful. Just meme-y unoriginal crap that falls flat.

It almost works but it's not snippy enough

The real issue is she's from New York, but I haven't seen any dialogue about how she won't shut up about New York, Greatest City yet

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

It looks like you can fly from some later-game shots but you seem to be more limited in the beginning.

She flies now?
Yeah, she flies now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't realize Sons of the Forest was out so soon

Looking forward to my dadsquad hunting the dadliest game again

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lordfrikk posted:

?oom Eternal: J?TVL-QY886-NQBVC

Room Eternal, nice

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TeaJay posted:

Count me in with similar Ghost Song experiences. The beginning felt incredibly atmospheric and exciting, but as the game went along, it kinda lost a lot of the mystery. Some areas existed simply for being somewhere to pick up a ship part, not much else. The ending left me wanting something more, even with the secret ending, which felt like "okay, and?" more than a big reveal.

But all in all a positive experience, it's just hard to be more memorable than some of the hallmarks of the genre.

I didn't even bother finishing it, it just wasn't going anywhere and getting increasingly tedious to play. A lot of the combat is pretty clunky too with the hitboxes being what they are

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sab669 posted:

This game is stupidly charming for indescribable reasons. I put 30 hours into it back in October pretty quickly, but the game was (is?) Early Access then and was clearly missing stuff once you got to the higher levels.

I should re-install and see what's been added since then...

It sounds fun so went ahead and gave it a buy. Anything to know before starting? Seems to work on Steam Deck but has some trouble unless you toggle on vsync

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sab669 posted:

I just re-installed it while watching that video,

As that reviewer says: "It's a solo-dev game in a genre that is extremely hostile to solo devs, and you can see the seams pretty readily" . That is a really fair take, but as he also says there's just something about the build diversity that makes it very charming. You can tell there's a lot of love put into the game. It does what it sets out to do well enough that you can look past the cliche writing, the somewhat unoriginal art syle, and low budget voice acting.

One thing to note is that when you assign the stats of your new character, it determines what Perks you start out with. And there is no way to increase your base-stats in game. So while it is a class-less system, your stats will decide how well you can do some things. If you want to wear plate, you need at least X strength. To cast magic, X intellect. Charisma dictates the max number of Companions you can have, ranging from zero to three. I love this, this is like the one thing Outer Worlds did that I really thought was cool over its Bethesda competitors where you could only have 1 companion.

Looking over 1 of my 2 characters now that I created to be a Party Leader fighter type:

Enough Strength to wear Plate, splashing in Intellect enough to pick up Holy Magic and Charisma for 1 Companion.

Skill tree wise, lots of points into the things that make good at hitting, providing some buffs to Allies, and being able to cast Healing spells as well as the relevant crafting trees.

Speech is cool as it comes with a chance to Charm enemies on hit, and improve the tankiness of your NPC Companions, rather than something like Skyrim where it just effects NPC Vendor prices.

While it could definitely be described as "Offline MMO", the classless RPG system also makes it feel like a Bethesda game in that you can just mix and match whatever skills you like.

Apparently a "Music" tree was added in the 1.2 Patch last month; featuring stacking HOTs and other buffs to your Compansions. I absolutely would have specced into this if it existed half a year ago, as I do recall not being able to really heal my allies made my build idea less viable than I hoped, forcing me to pivot more into direct combat.

Seems like if I were to re-make this guy, I'd go all in on CHA to get max companions, Speech, Music to maximize the power of my party.

As someone who at best skims text and at worst just mashes space bar to skip cutscenes entirely it's quite easy to look past or laugh at the bad voice acting and writing.

My second play through was a Wizard build, high INT, Arcane & Elemental magic and tailoring and cooking. There's of course Dark Magic or something too if you want to be a more Warlocky type.

It's just like, there are no bad options, every tree has something that makes it a good primary tree, good secondary, or sometimes a good third option to splash into. Think of any class, subclass, character archetype you like and you can probably implement it to some degree.

The quest log legit needs to be improved though, it feels very Elden Ringy in that you're sometimes better off just alt tabbing and searching the internet to remember where you left off or just get a general direction. Or wondering if it was bugged / early access incomplete status :v:

Are there anything like pet builds and if so what should my stats be to get into that? I always have fun with those. It sounds like just high charisma, music and magic?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gedonia's pretty fun but wow these load times are horrific

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

repiv posted:

gloomwood has the best take on 0451

locked safes need a 3 digit code to open, and if you guess 451 on the first one you encounter it explodes and kills you

What if you guess 045

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man, going all in on a necromancer/pet build in Gedonia is way rougher than just making things fall over with a giant axe lol. You die in one shot and your skeletons are pretty weak (and eat all your mana). It's fun you can goof around so much though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sab669 posted:

Whats your Spec look like?

Music feels insanely good on my high CHA guy. Like a full party of 4, now that I've completed the Merchant's Guild, is enough to slaughter most encounters. If I really want to partcipate in some glorious overkill I also have an ability that summons 2 clones of each Companion, so myself included that's 13 things running at a boss monster or group of monsters I've aggrod.

I wish I understood better how the tree works when I created the character, I probably would've allocated my stats differently. I wasted a few points in Archery before I realized there's really no reason to stop playing Music in order to attack with regular weapons.

3 int 3 cha 1 str 1 agi iirc on that guy, focusing mostly on dark magic, with a dip into arcane for overload and elemental for a way to fight back when the skeletons inevitably blow up in one shot. I have the speech buff skill too but that's it. The only actual companion I've found though is the dog. I guess it's just spread too thin but an archer basically always one shots me

Meanwhile the 4 str 3 agi axeman is just assblasting everyone lol

Also lmao that basically every quest's outcome is to be a huge rear end in a top hat to someone

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sab669 posted:

(Replying separately as the other post was already quite long :v:)

The 1 STR sounds kinda wasted?
Ice Element seems good for an aggro-generating Skeleton

There's also a guy in that Inn in the starting town you can pay to join you - there's a list on fandom of who you can find and where. Not sure that it's a complete list.

I thought leather armor would be more helpful in not dying than it was lol

But yeah totally missed that guy, I'll go back later, but to be honest the blood-barbarian build I've got going kind of owns too. It reminds me of Two Worlds :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

*kojimashly*

We're all sons of the forest now!

*shoots finger guns at baby monsters*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm about three hours into Sons of the Forest with a multiplayer group and we love it. Spelunking caves, attacking cannibal camps, being stalked by a 3-legged woman, accidentally eating rotten fish, building log forts in the mountains. It's an excellent time so far and there are hints that there is almost a metroidvania aspect of the game where areas of the island are "locked" behind unique items like a shovel, zipline gun, etc.

Runs fine for me. i5 12th gen intel, 16 GB ram, 3070ti. Playing on High at 1440p. Getting pretty consistent minimum FPS of 75 that can get up to 100-105 in some areas. Never seen it above that, though. The gameplay feels complete (or nearly complete), so I'm hoping their plan is to use Early Access to focus on stability and performance

Love the error message "Can't carry any more skulls"

I played through The Forest with two other dads and by the end of it we all were wearing bathrobes, wielding katanas, and because we found the monastery recipe book, building churches and crosses and dadding it up inside them. At one point we built a base on the treetops and the cannibals (well, the other cannibals) were smart enough to simply chop them all down lmao

Son can go save himself lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wrapped up Gedonia! The end was a bit of a slog - it doesn't matter how much armor or hp you stack, you're dying in two or three hits tops (and a lot of dungeon bosses will just one-shot you regardless). A lot of hitbox jank too but it's one dev, so cut them some slack :v:

I had a lot of fun! Dungeons mode seems like a fun way to go forward too but the game being built around just goofing off and doing whatever is nice, especially since it's very open to you breaking it. By the end I was constantly critting and building up a double-speed kill engine while being able to Spider-man websling my way to safety from the instakills.

As a tip, if you go pure melee, blood magic is actually still open to you (and you should, you need healing badly), and cooking is also open to 0 int characters. You can slam endless ribs down your throat in battle to not lose lol

The world map is super misleading - the most zoomed out view is nothing but stuff not in the game (but the dev seems to plan to), but it's still a good 16-20 hours. It was a great way to spend being trapped in the house for a week

e: Sons of the Forest is pretty good and very alpha lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 26, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TeaJay posted:

I also managed to finish the game yesterday (story+Darklands final bosses). After struggling a bit in Darklands, I bought some more Warriors' guild gear and especially the epic Sword+Shield combo made all the difference. I realized that the sword crit so hard and hit so fast that my blood magic passives basically kept my health topped if I just kept pressing the attack button. The enchant weapon skill did a ton of damage too with maximum spell buffs and took care of smaller mob groups in one hit.

One thing I liked was that the whole world was not fully mapped, not only the zones that are not in the game yet but the various mountain areas between zones too, with camps and villages and even hidden boss encounters + secret mounts. Makes you feel like you're exploring since even the map makers didn't quite know what's in those areas. Travelling feels a bit slow but you get some spells (teleportation, flight) to help you and the best mount dragon also makes life a lot easier.

All in all a very enjoyable experience, kinda surprised me how fun it was to play. It's very ambitious for a one dev project. There is jank but the good kind of jank, definitely recommending for someone who wants to play an some open world adventure game.

Yeah, going out of bounds and realizing it wasn't just proc gen mountains or an invisible wall then finding more weird stuff out there was a super cool thing to discover

Blood magic is extremely good for staying topped up but less so for finishing things off. I didn't get the blood demon thing unlocked though so I bet you could really cheese stuff with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leaving aside the bad loot system Nioh's just not a very interesting game