Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Has anyone in the world actually played We are the Caretakers? Came out a couple of weeks back, but all the reviews are from its initial Early Access release in 2021. I remember playing its demo in a festival back in the day and finding its afro-futurist ecologist XCOM premise interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

secretly best girl posted:

Which rules. That scene absolutely rules.

Now I am curious and have to watch this.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

I call it StarCRAP btw.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lets hang out posted:

I don't know, doesn't seem like it but all the pre-release stuff has focused on the new characters. There are some new/modified rooms, bug fixes, loading screen tips, and more tutorial popups around, but I haven't heard of any substantial changes to the 3 existing characters.

Think all of the new regions/creatures are exclusive to the new slugcats campaigns. I've only seen bits of a couple of them. They start in the original world, maybe with some changes due to when they occur in the timeline (yes, there is a timeline), and you're free to piddle around there with their unique abilities, but they each conclude their respective campaigns in huge new locations specific to them. They're gorgeous, extremely high effort, and there's basically nothing of them in the trailers. It's wild.

They've patched the save transfer bug now btw

That sounds amazing. I loved Rain World back in the day but I am legit unsure if I have the emotional strength to revisit it, but I'll definitely be grabbing the expansion down the line.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bad Seafood posted:

The Rain World update seems interesting, though I'd heard the recent update erased some people's save files. I was in the middle of my first run myself, so I went to check up on it. Seems it's still intact, but worth spreading the word just in case.

I want to like Rain World a little more than I actually do, but the same things that are neat about it can sometimes make it hard to love. Enemy randomization in the more linear stretches has not been particularly kind to me.

I believe they fixed the "nuking old saves" bug in a day 1 patch for the DLC, for what's worth.

Honestly, Rain World is the game that has scratched the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. itch the best of games released in the last decade, such an amazing package, but it really requires the right attitude for it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lol I remember on my first playthrough I went west and down into the water area and holy poo poo, was that hell. I've never loved a game that pissed me off so much before or since.

And yeah, I have to admire the ~auteur~ approach to the controls. They can feel awkward at first, but once you learn enough movement tricks you're like a goddam slug god. High level play in RW is downright insane.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am going to say that Rain World is a legit fun game. It has a very obtuse learning phase and like others here I almost called it quits on the Exterior, but then I looked up on Youtube the following area and was like "holy poo poo, I have to check that out" and by that time I had crossed that point I was good enough at the game that I brought extra thingmajigs to Looks-to-the-Moon on my way down, which is literally playing the game with both hands tied behind your back, and it wasn't that difficult of a time. There really isn't any game that has quite scratched the ecological exploration bug in my brain to the same degree and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Subnautica are the only other ones I've played that have really done it for this particular itch.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Serephina posted:

Please do not buy bad games just because they have a slider that you like.

That's literally how Paradox grew its market base.

Now they make mid games without cool sliders

Disgraceful

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

No Wave posted:

Does anyone younger than 30s/40s know what a saturday morning cartoon is?

drat

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kibayasu posted:

It could be something like that but Syndicate 2012 was also a massive failure from what I recall. Something like not even 100k copies sold within a year which must be millions and millions gone for a company like EA so spending on money at all on it is probably too much for them. Glad I got to play its co-op mode after buying it for $5 though.

Syndicate 2012 makes me sad because Syndicate Wars is one of my all time favourite games and probably the oldest game I still replay every few years.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

chglcu posted:

You know you can quit when a game stops being fun, right? My average completion is 16% and that seems really high, so I’m questioning how they calculate it. I drop most games in less than 30 minutes these days, since so many are absolute dogshit.

Mine is 40% and I still feel I am pretty wasteful with games and I 100% will quit a title if it didn't scratch anything for me in its opening hours.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FuzzySlippers posted:

How interesting are builds in Troubleshooter? It doesn't seem to have any character creation but if the build space is wide enough that can be sufficient for me.

My usual play session in the post game was like an hour tweaking builds and then doing a mission.

[edit] I'd say that where Troubleshooter truly suceeds in comparison to nuXCOM and most tactics games of that lineage is in making the late/post game the most interesting part as opposed to a victory lap. You accumulate a lot of tools throughout the game and if you set all the difficulty options all the way up you are going to need every single one of them

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 1, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zereth posted:

You can't even get the REAL bullshit going in D&D anyway, not enough flexibility building characters. Call me when you play a system where you can find a way to destroy the entire planet, if not universe, on a starting character's budget.

Ah, so you want a Wild Talents CRPG.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They should have copied Magicka's system.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TeaJay posted:

Xenonauts 2 actually in demo phase?

Next thing you'll be telling me they're actually going to release Silksong

Mind, Xenonauts 2 had a demo like five years ago.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

All the metacurrencies in Hades are merely window dressing for the four real metacurrencies all games consume: Time, Electricty, Horniness and Rage.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lunar detritus posted:

And Avatar is the highest-grossing movie of all time. The fact that it's popular now means nothing in the long term.

I mean, maybe a century from now, but you can bet it will remain a relevant franchise in the west for the next few decades if the third film isn't Matrix 3 bad. And I am saying that as someone who hasn't bothered to watch the second film because I found the first one boring. I am not the target audience, but James Cameron is somehow making do with like a billion people instead.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 7, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

how someone old enough to post in these forums and presumably had electricity growing up didn't even hear of power rangers is positively mind boggling

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lol, I got Space Marine for like 5 bucks (along with about twenty games) as part of the THQ bankrupcy bundle back in the day

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Propaganda Hour posted:

Civvie11 put up a video recently on the first Unreal. It's been forever since I played through the game, but the Skarrj reminded me so strongly of the marauder. They do the same scary back-up-and-circle-stafe move which immediately caught my attention. Civvie pointed out that the Skarrj were programmed by a dude that wrote bot scripting for Quake which modeled human behavior like zone and resource control, air control, switching weapons based on engagement distance, and splash damage utilization. All the things that human players were doing at the time in competitive games, and it was terrifying and effective. It's almost surprising that this stuff isn't more common 25 years later.

So yeah, skill issue

https://youtu.be/5PtU2stZK0M

Thanks for sharing! That's really interesting, the Skaarj really were amazing and memorable opponents and I legit can't think of an enemy in a FPS that I've played since that offered a similar experience. (did not play Doom Eternal to compare them to the Marauder)

also it's a goddamned tragedy what happened to the franchise

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bad Seafood posted:

Anyone else getting this weird bug where Steam dulls your library? It fixes itself once I log out and in, but it bothers me all the same.

What do you mean "dulls" your library? Like desaturated colours or does it hide all the cool games and leave you with only basic AAA titles?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azran posted:

I like that StS popularized the term 'deckbuilder' outside of board games because I love the confused look in people's faces when you tell them Magic the Gathering isn't a deckbuilder :v:

It isn't? What the Christfuck.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Countblanc posted:

i didn't see anyone give a great answer here but it's because "deckbuilder" in board game spaces refers to games where building a deck is the actual activity you do within the game itself, rather than a metagame one where you build a deck to bring to the game. you'll usually see games like Magic, Netrunner, Flesh and Blood, etc., referred to as "deck construction" instead to more directly separate them from games like Dominion (or Slay the Spire, to use the original example) where you build a deck as you play.

My boomer brain appreciates the proper answer, because I sure as hell expected Magic to fit in in that group.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SoR Blaze posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for simple ARPGs? I've been craving one of those PS2 era games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance or Champions: Return to Arms. Mostly I'm not looking to get showered in tons of lot with tiny granular %-based upgrades, so stuff like Grim Dawn and PoE and the like are right out. Here's more what I'm looking for:

You're in luck, there's a more recent Dark Alliance game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXgaEGpfHc

it sucks almost as much as that trailer

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CharlestheHammer posted:

The last Harry Potter movie came out in 2011 so I actually doubt that

I regret to inform you that the kids of the middle-aged people who read Harry Potter as kids are now reading Harry Potter.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

Ctrl-Alt-Ego

on the exact opposite side of the presentation spectrum lies Ctrl-Alt-Ego, whose programmer art can be at best described as 'charming' in a folksy way. this unfortunately doesn't translate to better performance, as it struggles to stay above 40FPS on the Deck, but at least the gameplay isn't demanding fast twitch reflexes.

it's a really neat game, despite the jank and lower budget. i saw this at Realms Deep 2022 and was like "whoa. imm sim + puzzle is a great combo" and.. it is! i think. I've only played through the prologue and first chapter. maybe the game gets really stinky later!! but i'm enjoying it so far

I feel a lot of people are neglecting to mention how goddamned BRITISH Ctrl-Alt-Ego is. The whole presentation has this 60s-70s sci-fi feel to it, like even the death robots look like props from very early Dr. Who.

If the idea of System Shock, but less horror and more puzzle and a billion times more English appeals to you, I beg you, dear reader, get this game, you won't regret it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hope the rest of the year can keep up with February on large mid releases that generate controversy.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FuzzySlippers posted:

Of all the things to copy from Destiny I dunno why the mind numbing equipment system is the one they land on.

all shall die on the altar of number go up

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

hey everyone. i'm currently dealing with the loss of one of our cats who died suddenly and unexpectedly, so my Games of April post is gonna be kept simple. you can look the games up yourself to see the screenshots. I do thank the people in discords that have offered kind words and condolences.

Your posts are an institution at this point, don't worry. Condolences for the cat.

[edit] disappointed Jedi Survivor is not a Vampire Survivor clone

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

explosivo posted:

elden ring is an open world rear end open world game

e;fb

And it's also the eleventh Berserk rip-off from a studio which pretty much only does that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mescal posted:

what's the canon of trad rogue likes? the ones that are ancient and presumably still in development via forks at least and usually free

i got a couple semi-traditional dungeon crawlers but i kinda feel like i need a primer of sorts

rogue itself has a paid cheap port on steam which is probably best since im on steam deck

Caves of Qud is an amazing game, though it might be in the very border of what a trad roguelike is like.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

explosivo posted:

Played that Wildermyth with a friend tonight via remote play together; it has both players sharing all input at the same time unlike the normal MP coop that lets you assign players to characters. With friends this is not really an issue because you can just say 'you control these people and I'll control these people' and try not to hijack the mouse but figured I'd mention it since I asked about it the other day itt. Wildermyth loving rules, I need to play more Wildermyth. It's fantastic with friends too, like playing a D&D campaign together. I haven't played since release either and I know there's been a lot of updates since then.

Right on! They added a new campaign on top of some bits and QoL. It is also going to get its first DLC later in the year. Just saying so this isn't an empty quote.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's good in terms of Obsidian having plenty of licenses they're allowed to play with now

Maybe after they release Avowed in 2037.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Shrecknet posted:

Guys I am just too old to keep playing games. I haven't bought a game in a year and the last time I played anything that wasn't Drawful at a party was last August. I think it might be time to give up my Steam account.

10 years old, 400 games. Is there a secondary market for these things? I have no cards or TF2 hats worth mentioning, just a poo poo-ton of games.

I know actually selling steam accts is against the Valve ToS but we're all good at keeping :ssh: here, so thought I'd ask.

usually people just have kids and let them carry on with the account

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Paracausal posted:

Australia is introducing a legislation amendment so that any game containing loot boxes will be rated R18+ or Restricted Classification
https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=r6949

I remember how an Adult classification kept me from playing Mortal Kombat as a kid.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

exquisite tea posted:

Game developers always seem to be specifically into sexy spider ladies.

fear and excitement are one and the same

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nancy posted:

If you bounced off Phoenix Point at release or even a year ago I'd say give it another try, very different game to what it was imo.

It's still kind of an odd mix of tactics and faction sim game, but the experience overall has been rebalanced significantly with numerous patches. The DLC itself is kind of a mixed bag & the cybernetic augments one is the only 'must have' in my opinion.

Yeah, I kinda liked Phoenix Point a lot, coming at after it was content complete. My major issue with it was pacing, a lot of doing the same mission types before the game opens up with more variety of equipment, classes and scenarios.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

So I fired up Time Commando in a browser and was surprised to see that it actually animates as well as I remember. Then I got to thinking: maybe I should play through Time Commando?\

E: For context

Man, I played that so much as a kid. Came with our kicking rad Soundblaster card back in the day. Would be kinda fun to have a spiritual successor.

Artelier posted:

Oh man, this sparked some memories and I just realised that my brain edits out all the pixellation. I do remember greatly enjoying it tho!

Lol, yeah, memory post-processing is a legit thing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat, I remember liking Consortium back in the day. Didn't even know The Tower was in EA, lol, six years there and no release in sight? Is that a record?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mr.Acula posted:

People are seriously such pussies these days lmao

Where is my clown slider