Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't know jack poo poo about Istaria and/or Horizons, but I do know that it is the BEST crafting MMORPG and has playable Dragons!

Is that the science-based dragon MMO, or is this some other dragon MMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

For the record, that screenshot was taken during a game's free weekend.

Which one though

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Unlocking the "feature" to get attacked by dragons makes the game worse for sure.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I won't call this good writing, but it made me forcefully blow air through my nose at the end which is more than I can say about a lot of games honestly.

Is the Steam demo not available until the game "unlocks in approximately 2 hours"? All the reviews seem to be somewhere around, "poo poo writing and gameplay you may or may not like" which is fine by me because lol story.

Serephina posted:

Please do not buy bad games just because they have a slider that you like.

What if it's an FOV slider? That can straight up be a make-or-break for me sometimes

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, one of those things where Marvel certainly didn't originate that style of writing, but it's a massive cultural influence so if nothing else it has popularized that style.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Trickyblackjack posted:

On the topic of quip-likes

oh god is this a new genre

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The 43 GB demo for Forspoken is on steam now, gonna check it out later :shrug: I've heard mixed things about the combat but if I like it I'll probably grab it on sale eventually.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Which way?

I can only assume they're trying to say it's not as bad as reviews are making it, because most of the reviews I skimmed said how bad/campy the dialog is.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

They slipped on a banana peel and hit the “release half of game” button instead of the “release entire game” button

They really shouldn't keep the "Deploy to prod" button right next to their keyboard...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah yes, the very well known and popular key binding [

:wtc:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

I had Normal buttons (right mouse button) in the demo, I don't get how that even happens.

I quickly found out that Mouse 2 does work, yea, but I don't know why it would show me the keyboard input and not the mouse input lol.

Character in fact does not stop talking to the voice in her head ever. 30 - 60 FPS / 1440p on High settings with an RTX 3070, i9-10850k and 32 GB of RAM. Game definitely doesn't look good enough to be that choppy.

Games that force me to hit the Enter key on the "main" keyboard to close a prompt instead of quickly thumbing Enter on the number pad with my mouse hand are the worst though.

Feels very Ubisofty with lots of POI and UI elements to ensure you don't miss a thing and "What if Arkham Asylum combat but you're a wizard" (which isn't bad IMO)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 24, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

The traversal is really nice, but parkour is sort of like a stamina gauge so you can't always sprint everywhere nonstop. It really wants you to use parkour flourishes constantly, and it's actually hard to control them because especially around trees it'll constantly trigger a parkour flip when you just want to run through them or sprint quickly around an enemy.

Yea I also had the thought of, "A game like this really showcases how hard it can be to implement a good parkour free-running kinda movement system".

I just wanted to run over to the other side of that room and now I'm flipping off the walls. Seems like it could be enjoyable, but yea not gonna cough up $70 to find out if I can get the hang of the controls.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

You can basically wall jump up vertical cliff faces but I couldn't get it to work consistently without just constantly smashing jump and parkour at the same time.

I'm pretty sure you can only do the wall jump a few times, it drains the little pips in the bottom left corner or something. I'm not sure I never quite got the hang of it, and I already uninstalled the Demo after beating it :v: I would just jump up a cliff face a few times, find a ledge to rest & recover, then jump up the remainder of the face.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

play Deep Rock Galactic

:yeah:

First 5 hours or so are kinda dull but once you get the hang of things, unlock some good guns and crank it up to Hazard 4 I am loving this poo poo so much.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

what the gently caress? why are you even playing games at that point?

Gameplay.

video games are a poo poo medium for story telling :shrug:

Agent355 posted:

Because the gameplay and cutscenes should both work in tandem to deliver an experience? That's like saying watching movies with the sound off is identical to the same experience you'd get with the sound on. You're just ignoring a portion of the experience.

Pretty sure deaf people watch things with subtitles on all the time

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR8GVePOdpY

Did this "Gameplay Deep Dive" get posted already? Making my way through it now.

There was lots of discussion about whether this is or isn't a "looter shooter" and I had always been leaning towards no, it's not, it's just a game with vaugely statsy weapons like in Fallout rather than Borderlands. Rarity tiers that are all obviously better than the lower tiers, but not like you're rolling 10 different tiers of multiple affixes

Like everything seems a pretty "human" multiple of 5 for almost all values, except for the Vampire blood with kinda arbitrary 9% damage reduction. But again I really don't get the sense that this game is really rolling item drops like a looter game.

Loot discussion aside, I still can't make up my mind on this game. It's Arkane, so I'm almost surely going to buy it -- but my big concern is how much does the game suck playing solo? Either you game is designed around playing as a party or it isn't, it's very hard to design a game for both. Also it seems confused as to how spooky it wants to be. Like so much of the imagery is dark and scary, but then like your flashlight lights up the whole drat room why even have it be dark if it only obscures the absolute edges of your screen :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I already didn’t love loot tiers in Deathloop.

They certainly didn't improve on the game, yea.

The 7th Guest posted:

that all looks like a looter shooter to me complete with perks that are so miniscule that they'll feel invisible

the guns even have level requirements

But again, it does not like they're serving you up a randomly generated shotgun with Increases To Spacebucks Finding, Bonuses to Strength, Bonuses to Damage, and Elemental Resistance and whatever other random rear end stats you'd typically see in looter style games. It looks more like a person or 5 came up with a bunch of different weapons, then said "OK so what bonuses does %specific item% get at Uncommon, Rare, and Legendary?" To me that's the big distinction if something's a looter. Is the intent of the game to have you perpetually killing tons of poo poo to find the perfectly rolled item to make Number Go Up, or does your game have item rarities because it's a trendy concept in game design

AngryBooch posted:

What does Rate of Fire actually mean when a burst fire assault rifle has 0.35 and a semi-auto shotgun has 0.97 and a flare gun has 0.43? Why does the flare gun not have a Rating Number? What does the Rating Number actually mean? Why does the Flare Gun shatter petrified enemies 25% faster? It's a single shot weapon! It's not shattering petrified enemies in one hit?

I just really don't want to see color coded loot drops in my Arkane games. I found it annoying in Deathloop as well. All of this ticky-tacky nonsense just doesn't seem like it's going to add anything positive to gameplay.

Gonna guess ROF is the unit of time you need to wait between shots/bursts. Lower is better, obviously, which is why a shotgun's number is bigger. Good question about the Flare Gun, though maybe the Flare = a DOT that interacts with Petrified things.

Volte posted:

They could literally just replace "9% resistance to melee damage" with "Minor resistance to melee damage" and it would feel a million times better. It's half placebo anyway since 9% melee resistance vs 5% or 12% is not likely to change your outcomes very often.

Massively disagree on the first part, I hate when games just give a vague nonanswer. May as well just put, "I dunno go check the wiki you fuckin nerd" :colbert:

But yea, such small numbers further make me think it's not a looter and it's just there because trendy. It's like half the company doesn't want it and so they implement it in small quantities so the players who hate this poo poo can ignore it.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 26, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Volte posted:

Also in case it wasn't clear in my last post, the Minor Resistance should always be 15% or whatever, not a random roll. You should be able to see that it's 15% of course, but you're not using that number to compare with other, very similar items. To upgrade from Minor you find one that has Major, and it's always e.g. 30%. I'm not suggesting they make it have unclear mechanics, which would be really bad.

That's what I suspect the whole Rarity system is here, though. Like that's exactly what I'm saying for why it doesn't seem Diablo/Borderlandsy Looter style with randomly generated modifers (not the numeric value)

I feel like that Morrigan Burst-fire Assault Rifle is always going to have the same 2 mods. But the Common tier, those mods will have X values. Uncommon, Y values. Superior, Z values. Rare, Legendary or whatever they're called - each rarity is "the same but stronger".

Without know what "Petrified" means in the context of the game and how it's applied, all we can do is speculate whether a Flare Gun shattering petrified things faster makes sense or not. I mean, maybe every character has a way of applying Petrified. Like maybe it's a debuff that gets applied where if a certain threshold is met things just instagib. You're shooting rounds into a vampire with your main weapon, oh no gotta reload, better yet instead I'll just swap to my secondary weapon -- my Flare Gun [and now that it has a bonus to shattering petrified things, it shatters that thing I almost finished before needing to reload] :shrug:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 26, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm still waiting for D6 to go on a deeper sale. Its current price of $45 is apparently the lowest its been, despite being one of the worst-received entries in the series I think.
I don't even care about the swap to 3D models, but I heard it runs like rear end.

Funny how for the longest time I really didn't care about games going from $60 -> $70 because they had been $60 forever, but Disgaea was one of the first games I was like, "I'm not spending seventy loving dollars on that"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Weedle posted:

my favorite xbox bar feature is the one that saves a video of the last 30 seconds of gameplay to disk. i don't stream or anything so it's very nice to be able to capture funny things that happen unexpectedly

If you have an Nvidia card, you probably maybe already have this feature:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/shadowplay/

Not sure what hardware requirements this feature is gated behind, but IIRC they've offered it for a while.

edit; Wikipedia says Shadowplay came out in like 2013 lol

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 1, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Well if you see an animation error in the game, that's because a wizard did it.

:hmmyes:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone tried the demo for Meet Your Maker yet? Premise sounds fun. Hoping to check it out later tonight after work.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordja posted:

Anyways I played some of the Meet Your Maker demo and it commits one absolutely cardinal sin that I hope they can fix: you die in a single hit to everything and there's a not-insignificant loading screen when you restart a run. Unacceptable.

What sort of disk is it installed to? Loads speedy fast for me on every Normal raid I've done so far :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone tried the Darker and Darker demo? What makes the game "PvPvE"?

The trailer makes it look strictly PvE. Maybe friendly fire and you just gotta not kill each other while trying to survive?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I am only peripherally aware of Tarkov's existence as a game, didn't even know it wasn't on Steam until I just went to go look up a video of that

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Meet Your Maker is definitely getting more fun the more time I spend. At first you're just doing crude puzzles made by other people new to the game, and there's some clever gatchyas but nothing too crazy. Then once you start learning more and build more elaborate traps it's really fun. You can watch Replays of other Raiders raiding your base and it's so fun watching people figure your maze out as they die 3-5x in the span of 2 - 10 minutes.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what some people in the community can come up with for devious, bullshit traps.

My first base has had 22 Attempts and it's killed 29 times, giving it a Kill Ratio of 1.3
My second base, a Medium sized one now that I've got my bearings on the game more, has had 4 attempts and has killed 26 times already for a KR of 6.5 :black101:

You can also apply up to 2 of 4 Tags at the end of a Raid on someone's base, Fun, Brutal, Ingenious, and Artistic. Also fun seeing how people rate your maze afterwards.

Immensely cool concept for a game.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 7, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

LLSix posted:

I'm glad you mentioned this game.

The theming would usually make me ignore it, but it's a genuinely fun game. The tutorial works well and raiding is legitimately fun. Some people are assholes and have a single room full of every guard possible - I finally beat that one but I think I'll skip any others I see like that. Others are really clever. My last raid of the night killed me an average of 4seconds past my previous death location 12 times in a row and I was laughing the whole time.

I must be terrible at this game, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Everything dies in one hit, including you. It feels fair in a way a lot of "hard" games don't.

Theming meaning that Doom-looking post apocalyptic kinda vibe? Yea not necessarily my style either, but it's fine.
I don't think I've encountered any maps like what you describe, but I have encountered a few rooms with 2x of the big Brutes and such. Guards can be upgraded with Armor then they no longer die in 1 hit which is spooky. Although I think you can still headshot them maybe? I'm also not sure how the game pulls the pool of active maps to choose from.

It's just super fun waking up, logging in, looking at the Replay terminal and seeing someone died a dozen times and took 28 minutes on my map haha.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone know how much of a pain it is to do a party in Gloomhaven for one person playing on Steam and one on Epic? Like is it just "Go to server browser, type in lobby name & password" or should I just bite the bullet and buy the game on Epic insteaad? :ohdear:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Arrinien posted:

The host generates a lobby code, anyone joining inputs the code. I play a mixed steam/epic group several times a week, it's really easy.

Thanks!

Always wanted to play the boardgame and finally found someone to play the videogame with at least so :toot:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

What is a character action game?

I gather one controls a character (singular) and does actions?

It's another perfect example of "genre name that doesn't tell you anything about the game itself"

Basically it just refers to any sort of game that provides you some number of "abilities" that usually have cooldowns and are clearly designed to serve specific purposes. Your ammo refilling Chainsaw, your armor refilling Flame Belcher. It's also often used to refer to heroes "with abilities like a DOTA / League of Legends character": eg you have a crowd control ability, a movement ability, a damage dealing ability, an aoe ability etc.

Very "rigid" design where every tool has a purpose, as opposed to ye olden days when every gun was just a vehicle for murder and you picked the one you liked to murder with.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ULTRAKILL is cool as gently caress but I put 3.5 hours in and I'll never touch it again. If it came out when I was a kid I'd be so into it and be very :smug: about how much cooler it is than Halo but now I'm a slow, addled adult and it's just too hard/twitchy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I get what they're saying in that building your deck isn't part of "playing magic".

You show up with a deck you built and then play at the deck; but the turns don't involve you composing the deck while cycling through it.

But I don't agree with it, not fully anyways

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hogama posted:

If we're going all the way we need to bring back the Computer Role-Playing Game genre.

We unironically do, if CRPG means a UI that's actually designed for PC and not a one size fits all crap that behaves best with a controller

I also think we should just call every game a ___-like where you just say whatever game you're cribbing off of and how yours is different

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I've just been going whole hog on the Meet Your Maker demo.

:hellyeah: I've been having a lot of fun with this game the last week as well.

Seeing everyone play all these demos ITT I felt like I was missing out and installed half a dozen ones that sounded OK last night, quickly uninstalled 3 lol. One could be fun and didn't get to the remaining 1 or 2 yet but I just wanna play MYM and my other usual video game loves :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Monster Train is on sale for like $5, extremely worth it.

Gordian Quest was pretty cool too.

I went on a bit of a card battler binge last Spring and those were my favorites

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Meet Your Maker stuff

I flagged 2 of my maps as "Social", go try 'em :haw:

Search for Eldora and Ypsilanti in the Social Raid menu

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Not getting any results? Maybe that part isn't working for the open beta or we need to be Steam buddies or something, idk

Hmm weird. If I search for them I can find them -- yea, maybe need to be Friends :shrug: Lame

There are separate boxes for Player Name based searches and Map Name searches

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Apparently in Meet Your Maker you can just put whatever weapon you want in either of your Loadout slots? I just watched a friend make very quick work of a room I was very proud of because he is using both guns insteaad of the 2-or-3 shot gun and the sword like virtually everybody else:

(this wasn't the map he made quick work of, I'm very surprised it took him 35 minutes to beat this map :haw:)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Sony's ports are generally pretty good, even great.

I recall HZD being kinda bad (or maybe even pretty bad?) at launch. How was GOW when it first came out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I mean they definitely did a good job fixing HZD. I had no issues by the time I picked it up, but I remember a lot of bad press initially. I think there was even an issue with the player character not running straight if you just held down W? lol