Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Owl Inspector posted:

Both of the games I’ve played this year that went for 70 USD outside of gamepass have been categorically half-finished garbage (redfall and wild hearts), and I don’t say that kind of thing about games I play almost ever. Not going to try to extrapolate two cases into a pattern but it’s funny that the increased price tag has only lined up with comically low quality in my experience.

I do not know what happened at arkane but my take that they’ve never made a bad game has finally been upended. what happened over there?
Bethesda bought them in 2010 to turn out shelf trash and despite that and being separated into two independent studios they somehow turned the pitched titles 'Dishonoured' and 'Prey' into actual good games for release before they started delivering on that original purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They made the people who made Prey make Redfall because that's been Arkane's role since Bethesda bought them - to make the games the publisher tells them to. Sometimes they're good games despite it, but they're all coming out of the same sausage factory.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Bethesda bought Arkane in 2010 while they were working on Dishonored - a game named that because it was supposed to be set in feudal Japan - for Bethesda on contract.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Orv posted:

Not everything is the hand of the evil publisher loving things up, sometimes a good studio makes a bad game. In this case the vibe seems to be the same as Andromeda; the big experience left and the rookie team did their best, just wasn’t good enough.
yeah i'm not blaming the publisher for redfall being bad. i'm saying bethesda gave arkane redfall to make because that's how the relationship has worked for the last decade, even for the very good games.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

PowerBeard posted:

Darkie Dungeon - Turns out that racism is the real monster.
really putting the lovecraft influence on full display

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

It reminds me of that time a journo interviewed someone who was talking about how it took a large team of people to create the game, but he was introduced as "person who created X". I can't remember who it was.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Orv posted:

It has some cool ideas but its monetization was really bad.
it can't be that bad - my brother made $1,000 playing it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Orv posted:

I have no idea how that’s even possible tbh but last I played it it had the classic mid-2000s F2P shooter thing of paying to rent weapons and all that sort of thing which is something I find pretty awful.
it was like ten years ago when they ran a short promotion where a random player a day would get $1,000 prize :classiclol:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Rinkles posted:

TLOU1 was a technical shitshow, but I honestly thought Spider-Man would have sold more by now
I know I've not been hankering to buy a four-year old game at AAA full price. I could spend that money on a brand-new game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm not sure what your TV is up to, but I just have my LG TV plugged into the PC through HDMI as a second monitor and haven't had any issues. I don't even bother using Big Picture because for the longest time it was just slow and unpleasant to use.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

if there is more than one character in your shooting game you've failed

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

borderlands

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

err posted:

is anyone following the Suikoden remakes? i never played them and I am hoping it is a good port/remake.
i haven't been, but just looking at the trailer they seem pretty good. the character sprites look really nice and clear, which i would say is probably the one thing that would be an absolute deal-breaker for me given how much love was put into the spritework in the originals. i feel like the 2d gameworld seems stretched slightly vertically, but that could just be the new backgrounds fighting my memory.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Serephina posted:

edit2: yea and a bunch of stuff has regressed, like it reinterpreting exit commands as minimize, friends list popping up on boot, etc. I strongly suggest that you hold off on the update for a while.
lmao this has been the only time my friendslist didn't obnoxiously pop up on boot.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

the other team's jet

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's PvP not PvB

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

fit em all up in there posted:

Any opinions on:
The Sinking City
Wingspan
I like Wingspan. It's got some really chill and comfy vibes. I've played it using Steam remote play against a friend who owns the physical boardgame and it was still fun even though we could see each other's hands (it also helps that it cuts out the extensive setup and pack away of the physical game), otherwise I've just done the occasional bot game which I felt served perfectly fine with the achievements as a kind of challenge mode - the actual proper solo version of the game is fully included but since it's mostly just a score attack mode I think I tried it once.
It has full online multiplayer but I never bothered with it as the actual boardgame itself doesn't have a lot of interactions between game boards so without trash talk over the table it's very easy to forget there's even other players unless someone has a bird doing triggered effects.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Serephina posted:

beginner's tip: if you don't seem to see any synergies or strategies and feel like your plays are being railroaded a bit, I'd suggest investing more into to card-drawing mechanics early on, since it can dig you out of a too-simple starting hand.
beginner's tip: killdeer and the ravens are the best cards in the game hands down because they let you add an at-will card draw or food generation to an egg laying turn, and if you are lucky enough to get both then you can sit there doing nothing but laying point-scoring eggs while out-drawing any food strategy and out-fooding any draw strategy that doesn't include them. they are very good cards even in isolation, allowing you to bootstrap almost any other part of your bird refuge into regularly generating resources that are 'off theme' for it, and playing well with basically any other bird that generates eggs as an action. imo you should always pick them up as soon as possible, even if just to deny them to others.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Unironically this. I'm still treasuring the hate messages left on my profile from playing SF4 and Tekken 7.

:hellyeah:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Stealing from companies is praxis while stealing from workers is capitalism.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

FutureCop posted:

Well, it was inevitable. I've beaten Satellite Reign, and while incredibly satisfying, it has left me with a hunger for even more neato games of its ilk with squad-based real-time-with-pause tactics such and such.

Trying to decide what to move onto and was wondering if y'all had any suggestions. Current games in my library that I'm eyeing are Legend of Grimrock 2 (dungeon crawler so a bit of a stretch but party vibe seems cool),
Grimrock is entirely real-time action combat despite looking similar to a Might and Magic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What's the thread's thoughts on Cruelty Squad? Must own, one off gimmick, or unplayable garbage?

yes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

you do get respawn bonuses for being alone but that doesn't really compensate for the problem where every now and then you'll hear cannon fire while in the middle of some cave network or deep underwater on a quest, because no matter how quickly you get back to your ship there's gonna be some rear end in a top hat sitting on it waiting to spawn kill you while his friend clips your season pass to davy jones'.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You no longer have to press spacebar.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'll probably just never buy another Blizzard game
:same:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Titanfall was so good. Shame I live in a garbage region where the multiplayer was almost completely unplayable only a month after release.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

it's very simple binary question

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

yes, fullscreen applications maintain control of what's being displayed at all times, while borderless operates through the OS renderer. that's why you lose vsync and resolution options, because the application is no longer in charge of those so they won't have any effect.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I prefer Assassin's Creed: Origins just for the fact that it promises to tell you all about the Origins of the Assassin's Creed and then it turns out your wife does it all off-screen while you're busy processing your feelings about your dead son and stabbing whoever the UI tells you to

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

oh yeah - the compelling lore reason why they cut off their fingers to use the hidden blade is because the hidden blade was designed poorly and cuts off their finger if they don't!!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They've got a nice light humour and have combat that is fairly mechanically dense compared to "don't stand near fireball target". Though honestly I think the hype for Baldur's Gate 3 is because it's been a long time for that franchise and the D&D brand is at a high-water mark compared to the 90s/00s where the original Baldur's Gate was essentially its departure from the grognard section of gaming.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Assepoester posted:

Fixed.

The pick system was the best and most flexible loadout system COD has ever had and it was at its Apex in BLOPS2. Being able to run around with just a pistol and trophy system was great.
which was the one that let you just have a scorestreak loadout that was just getting more and more perks so that you could spend your entire day knifing people while just getting better and better at it? that was loving great.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Owl Inspector posted:

The tags “singleplayer” and “multiplayer” both feature prominently in your steam library. have I got some recommendations for you!
Hey this is nothing like anything in your 1,000+ library, but other people are buying it!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Guess I'm replaying Quake II

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

fez_machine posted:

They're not complaining???

They're saying Elden Ring is excellent and that all their work on Ubisoft stuff has been wasted because Elden Ring is so good without all the stuff they are employed to do
from software also employs people to put all that stuff (which is in the game) in the game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Volte posted:

I completed most of the NPC quests in my first playthrough without looking anything up. Unlike Dark Souls 3, a game where you can fail NPC quests simply by setting foot in the wrong room, Elden Ring quests are for the most part not missable, or if you do miss them it's because you did something specifically counter to what the quest involves, as opposed to just arbitrarily missing quest triggers. And they added NPC markers on the map in one of the early patches after that as well.
nah, elden ring side quests are very missable if you're exploring. you can miss multiple questlines just by progressing into altus plateau before you meet the quest givers. i didn't figure out how to talk to blaidd while he was on the ruins and he literally disappeared from my entire game until showing up at ranni's tower angry that i did her entire ending questline without him and the only reason i knew who he was is because everyone else was talking about him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I finished Elden Ring fairly overlevelled but it was because I was busy trying to explore everything I could in a huge loving world, not because at any point I felt like I just needed to whack more skeletons to proceed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i would play LOBSTER DAUGHTER

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

quake 2 is janky as gently caress. it's doing a lot of interesting stuff for its time but also a lot of the level design is just straight-up horseshit where the same level will have monster closets all across it but also still just teleport enemies directly in front of you. sometimes you'll activate monster closets and enemies will teleport behind you. and nothing feels worse than having to wait for your gun animation to finish before you can change weapons in a fast paced shooter - come on guys!