Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Warhams 40k Xcom has been pretty good so far.
Other than mediocre performance, but it's not as relevant for a turn-based game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I want more Nioh. It's the only game that solves the issues I have with the soulslike genre.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FFX is the most boring game I have ever played and I have suffered through 30 hours of it become one of my friends kept insisting that "it gets good soon".
That'll teach me to trust people.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

Severed Steel owns bones.

:hmmyes:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do any of the Final Fantasy games hold up if I strongly disliked FFX's characters and story?

The only other experience with the series that I have is FFXIV 2.x through Heavensward was pretty drat good. ARR and Stormblood were mostly boring though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

FFX is a good game with solid character work and a fairly cohesive story and extremely annoying side quests

That’s it’s appeal

The consistency of your takes is fascinating.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous had a very engrossing story that made me tolerate it's godawful combat the whole way through, and it gave me a new...tolerance for D&D-esque RTwP combat so I gave Pillars of Eternity another shot and I'm actually liking it quite a bit so far. It even fixed most of my core issues that I have with the lovely D&D-esque systems.

I only tried Pillars 2 before and that game has the worst intro for a newcomer, probably because it seems to be a direct continuation from the ending of the first game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Has anyone played https://store.steampowered.com/app/1874490/Potionomics/ ?

If they have could they say if it's in any way similar to Recettear? I've been looking for another game to scratch that itch for awhile now and this looks like the closest yet but still would like some goon opinions if possible.

It's extremely similar to Recettear, minus the realtime combat. It's a pretty good game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dark Souls 2 was so bad it made me stop playing soulslikes.

I hope you like fighting dudes in armor because that's like 90% of the enemy roster.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also you have to kill 5 gods to bypass a 1 meter tall pile of rubble.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

on the computer posted:

lol that bad at the game huh

"bad cuz bad" is up there with "turn on your monitor" when it comes to insightful commentary.

Turn on your monitor.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

on the computer posted:

insight like "the game is bad because the enemies are armoured"? I guess you're right

You wanted me to also copy paste what everyone else wrote just before me?

I'm sorry I didn't like your favorite poison swamp simulator. It won't happen again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 2 is how you can start with one of the best weapon for beating the hordes of generic armored dudes, the mace, and then if you have pre-ordered you get to start with an upgraded version of that weapon, the homunculus mace.

I found there to be little to no reason to switch from it unless you were fighting two or three enemy types that weren't armored dudes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly find the game a lot more fun without abusing strike damage. Discovering the mace early on just discourages experimenting with all the weird weapons Dark Souls 2 has.

I imagine that it is. The developers should've considered that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Personally, I basically only use my wishlist to keep track of when interesting early access games actually come out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

Marauders rule. Just shoot them until they're dead

Shogun - Railgun - Shotgun - Railgun - Glory Kill

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OzFactor posted:

So here's a question that is likely to rile everybody up: I didn't ever play Doom 2016 but I always wanted to. But now because I can't ever remember to cancel Humble, I have Doom Eternal. Obviously I'm not asking about the story of a Doom game, but is there any particular reason I shouldn't play Eternal first?

Eternal plays like a very different game compared to 2016. Some people even think than 2016 is a better game but those people are wrong.

but also

Mordja posted:

If you play Eternal first it'll make 2016 look like crap, which it isn't on its own.
this is super true.
If you have the time, 2016 is definitely worth playing. It's not like it's a long game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Silent Hill 2 is entirely about male circumcision

:hmmyes:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you can even replace that jpeg with an install of .kkrieger which is 30 kb smaller

That would be too cool for Stux.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Next GoW will just have quick time events and nothing else.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's okay to leave certain people behind.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is that God of War 3?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kazil posted:

Real problem is devs make these huge open worlds and got nothing to put in them

Games should learn from Elden Ring.

Why have empty space in your open world when you can have dozens of poison swamps instead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stux posted:

number 1 phrase for the worst people in the world to use to legitimise why they like dogshit game design

Any examples of the "dogshit game design" that people try to legitimize with that phrase?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I thought that Stux had an actual point to make for once but no, it was just Stux making Stux posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There are plenty of games that have a gently caress ton of mandatory grinding because they don't respect their player's time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a feature to poo poo on the floor and teleport your poop away?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My Hog does not in fact have warts.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It's easy to be wary of any project that's like "made from the ex-devs of Beloved Game" because 1) they've probably been out of practice in the industry for the past 10 years, and 2) their actual role was like associate line producer or whatever.

Now that you mention it, has there ever been a good game that was marketed as "from the makers of X"?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Bloodstained ended up being pretty good.

Eeeh, I'm looking through their trailers and I don't see them ever actually mention Castlevania in any way. If they did it was probably only on Kickstarter and not on any other broader marketing that I can see at least.
I don't know if I'd count that one.

Bloodstained is great though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Electric_Mud posted:

It's all just a little bit of history repeating

For the record, that screenshot was taken during a game's free weekend.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Which one though

I meant to write "the game's".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Estel posted:

You are fooling yourselves. Hogwarts Legacy is going to become the "Witcher3" or "Skyrim" for a lot of people.

Basic and easy to grasp gameplay, open world and "freedom", lots of things to find and collect and lots of details in everything.

It' ll sell a lot and it will appear in all the game journalists' game of the year lists.

Witcher 3 was so loving good people were playing previous games in the series and reading books for the first time because of it.

NOBODY is going to start reading Harry Potter books because of that game. I'll eat my loving hat if anyone does.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Witcher 3's combat is actually pretty good, albeit easy and simple.
Learning how to beat a pack of wolves with only a sword and without getting hit was extremely satisfying.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Andrast posted:

Witcher 3 has bad combat because it has enough depth for like a 10-20 hour game but the game lasts for 100+ hours so it's just mind numbingly boring for most of the game

Yes but...combat is only like 20% of the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

can we get stux back in here please

Is that a threat?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I mean, another 20% is holding down the witcher vision button and following glowing red footsteps while Geralt mumbles to himself that these aren't devil tracks, they're human tracks and that something isn't right here.

Yes, and? That's one of the good parts.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Skellige felt kind of weird because a lot of it centered on the water and the water combat always felt extremely phoned in. It's one of the parts of the game where the seams of game development struggles looked really obvious.

How many quests make you do water combat? I don't remember having to do any water combat at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heart of Stone is so loving good.